childhood memoir; everything fades but never forgotten

When Music Makes Us One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hyo! Hurry up!” Jongin silently calls his sister. Hyoyeon comes out jumping with one leg as the other leg was pulled up for her to wear her shoe.

“I’m done! I’m done!” she said and swing her bag on her shoulder.

“Finally!” Jongin sigh. The two Kims then turn to the door.

“Come on before…”

“Where are you guise going?” a voice that they hate the most ruins their plan. Jongin and Hyoyeon groan in frustration when they turn to see Myungsoo holding up his bowl of cereal in front of them.

‘So where are my two favorite cousins going?” he asked, emphasizing the word ‘favorite’ in a fake manner. Hyoyeon gave him a loud scoff, while Jongin replied to him.

“Why do you care? You’re only gonna cause trouble.” He said. And it looks like he sounded pleased with his answer. Myungsoo chuckled at his statement.

“Go back with your cereal eating Myungsoo and leave us be.” Hyoyeon said and pulled Jongin with her. Leaving the evil boy at the living room with his cereal.

Myungsoo was taken aback with his cousins words….. Just kidding. He just felt like laughing as hard as he can right now.

“I’ll save my laughter after later.” He said and continued eating his cereal.

 

The two Jungs were busy playing with each other. When then, the door bell rings.

“I’ll get it!” Jessica notified and stood up, leaving Krystal at the ground to play. Jessica opens the door but was startled to see who was in front of her.

“Hyoyeon? Jongin?” she sees the two Kims.

“Hey there Jessica! What’s with the confuse look?” Hyoyeon excitingly asked, although she felt a bit uncomfortable.

“Well, it’s just I thought you two were coming over later?” she asked. Jongin gulp up while Hyoyeon nudge him to stay calm.

“Well, you see…”Hyoyeon tried to explain naturally, but was taking time to think of something. While on the other hand, Krystal was curious to see who was at the door. She slowly stands up and approached.

“Jongin!” she joyfully greets using his name and came forward.

“Hey Soojung!” he greeted and step forward as well. Krystal then gave him a warm hug which Jongin responded back.

“Well, this is adorable. So why you guys didn’t tell us you were coming early?” Jessica asked Hyoyeon again. The older Kim got startled and again her mind started panicking for an excuse.

“It’s because…” She thinks hard until.

“Jessica! Krystal!” an unfamiliar male voice comes along. The four then turn around to see who it was.

“Oh Kris, what’s up?” Jessica asked the so-called Kris.

“Um, I was about to tell you guys that I’m about to start the movie, but it looks like you two have visitors.” He pointed at Jongin and Hyoyeon.

“Yah! Oppa! It’s rude to point!” Krystal scampered and slapped Kris’s hands down.

“Ow! Geez, for a shorty, you can slap hard.” He said and caressed his hands which was turning red. Jessica laughs at the scene but then her attention was back at the two other siblings.

“Oh my gosh, I forgot. Hyoyeon. Jongin. This is Kris, my younger brother.” Jessica introduced to them.

“And my oppa!” Krystal joined in.

“Just because I’m a year younger doesn’t mean you have to you have to announce to the world.” Kris said with so much annoyance.

“I don’t care Kris, just get out of the way!” Jessica lightly pushes him so that the two could get in.

“Tsk! Fine. Nice to meet you two by the way. Jessica, close the windows with the curtains! Krystal, turn the lights off! This is gonna be an awesome movie marathon.” Kris coolly said and walks back to the living room.

 

“You never told me you had a brother.” Hyoyeon whispered to Jessica’s ear and points at the boy who was fixing the cable wire.

“Well, he’s not actually my biological brother.” Jessica explained to her very softly, hoping Kris won’t hear.

“What do you mean?” Hyoyeon asked

“He’s my adopted brother.” She straightens out the point.

“What?!” Hyoyeon was in shock. But she was able not to shout it out loud.

“Kris is actually Chinese. He’s actually my dad’s best friend son, but then his best friend died of brain cancer and Kris had no other relatives left plus his mom died when he was a kid. So, dad took him in.” she explained very dramatically. Hyoyeon was still in shock.

“He was really depressed hearing he won’t see his dad anymore.” Jessica said, her emotion was mixed of sadness and pain.

“But he’s very happy to be with us. And us as well.” Jessica then flashed as smile. Hyoyeon couldn’t help but feel sorry for the boy. She knows how it felt loosing someone from that family. She manages a smile, even though inside of her was tearing up.

“He’s lucky.” She said. Jessica gives her a comforting smile and a pat in the back.

 

While the older ones were busy fixing the TV. The two younger ones fish out yummy snacks at the kitchen. Krystal has a hard time picking up the jar of Nutella from the kitchen counter since her height was a bit short. But two arms picked her up, enabling her to reach the height. Jongin places her down and she turns to give him a wide smile, making him smile that big as well. Jongin then noticed his face was close to Krystal’s, too close. He lets go of his arm around her and scratches his head. He then stares at the ground, hiding his very red face. Krystal blinks and blinks her eye it an innocent manner.

“I guess we have enough.”  He said and slowly made his way back to the living room, still blushing. Krystal was confused, well she snaps back to reality when she notices Jongin out from her sight. She hurriedly runs back to the living room.

“There you are Krystal.” Kris noticed his younger sister struggling to hold the bowl of chips. Being a good brother, he helps her place the bowl on the table.

“Yah. You should have helped her.” Hyoyeon nudges her younger brother who was still blushing realizes what his sister told him. He felt a bit guilty when he saw how struggle Krystal was.

“Okay. Time to start the movie.” Said Kris.

“So, what are we watching?” Jessica asked and started eating the popcorn. Kris hears the munching and grabbed the popcorn away from her.

“Don’t be selfish.” He said and started eating. Jessica rolls her eyes; Hyoyeon laughs at the two while the kiddo’s just stared at how mature their older siblings are.

“So what are we watching?” Hyoyeon asked, trying hard not to laugh at the two glaring at each other. Kris then ignores his sister and shifted his gaze at Hyoyeon. He gives a sly smirk and held up a DVD case that says: Paranormal Activity 4. Everyone was in gasp. Especially the two girls.

“What? You two ladies scared?” Kris teasingly asked and wiggles his right eye brow. But Kris just expected too much. Instead of two soft ‘Yes’s’, the girls rushed to Kris’s side. Jessica on the right and Hyoyeon on the left.

“Are you kidding me?! We haven’t seen this series yet!” said Jessica excitedly.

“Yeah! Hurry up and play the movie!” Hyoyeon shakes his arm. Kris was just dumbfounded. What just happen? He thought

 

The 5 reach the half part of the movie. Jessica and Hyoyeon were very excited, but the boy in between them kept silent and held his legs. The teenagers were busy with the movie, they forgot about the two youngsters.

Jongin was laughing so hard; he was too focused on watching Kris get startled every time something shocking comes up. It was too funny. But then he felt a little shake from his side. He turns his head and found Krystal all huddled up, trying to watch the movie even though it scared the hell out of her. Jongin smiled at how cute she was, especially when she gets startled. Oh, what a cutie.

He moves closer to her and gave slowly hugs her by the arm. Krystal looks up and found Jongin smiling at her. She blushes seeing his smile offer.

“Don’t be scared.” He said.

“Everything will be fine. I’m right here for you.” Krystal was turning crimson. Then, that feeling comes again. Her stomach was full of butterflies now. She returns that smile of him with h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter