Ch 14

How Can I Help You?

Sehun woke up with the worst hangover he could ever remember having. Sure there were a few occasions he had one during his college days but they were rare and he never remembered them hurting as much. Sehun first thought was that he was never going to drink again and stick to being a coffee addict.

 

Sehun sat up in bed, which was obviously not his as it was way too itching and bumpy to be his. Then he looked around the small hotel room and to Sehun, it looked pretty shabby. Memories of the night before began to flood through his head. Sehun slightly smiled. He had fun and that was not a lie. It was nice to meet another group of people he could sort of get along with. Usually he would never go along with those type of people but they make it so hard for Sehun to dislike them. Especially that Heechul guy. He was very persuasive.

 

Sehun looked at the digital clock sitting on the night stand. He was debating whether he go back to sleep or just get dressed and go home because it was still pretty early. However, he decided to leave when he saw a cockroach run under the old rundown desk across the room.

 

He peeled the covers off of Luhans body and stared at Luhan's exposed stomache as his shirt was riding up. Sehun smiled and poked Luhan really hard in his belly. Luhan eyes shot up and he yelped.

 

He began to rub the spot Sehun poked him and glared at the younger.

 

"Really? That's what you call a wake up call?"

 

Sehun smirked. He opened his mouth to respond, but no sound came out.

 

Well that was odd.

 

Sehun tried to speak again, but still no sound and this time he felt the dryness of his throat.

 

Luhan looked at him questioningly. "Does the sharp tongue Sehun really have nothing to say? Wow, I guess I've lived to see everything now." Luhan sat crossed legged on the bed and covered his mouth to yawn.

 

Sehun continued to try to talk, but each time only made the pain in his throat worse. Sehun scrunched his eyebrows in frustration.

 

Luhan who caught the troubled look on Sehun's face, frowned with worry. " Are you ok Sehun." He crawled over to Sehun and touched his back.

 

Sehun shook his head and pointed to his throat.

 

Luhan stared at Sehun for a moment before he made sense of Sehun's action.

 

"Did you lose your voice?!" Luhan exclaimed. Anxiety washed over Luhan, this was not good. He knew that this could be a serious case.

 

"Ok put your clothes on, we're going to see a doctor." Luhan immediately jumped out of bed and grabbed his and Sehun's bags. He threw some clothes at Sehun and instructed for Sehun to put them on now.

 

Sehun did not go against his rash orders as he knew Luhan did not play around in situations like these. If you ever see Luhan worried and full of energy, or angry, don't get in his way. If you do, the consequences can be dire.

 

Besides Sehun was also feeling a little worried about his throat as well. This had never happened to him before. As Luhan pushed him in the bathroom to wash his face and brush his teeth, Sehun concluded that maybe staying up late drinking heavily and sleeping in the cold hotel room could be the reason why his throat was acting up.  Even though it wasn't common for Sehun, he was trying to think optimistically.

 

Luhan had the two out of the hotel in less than 20 minutes. Luhan hailed a cab like a stereotypical New Yorker and told the driver to step on it to the nearest clinic.

 

When Sehun arrived, Luhan went to the front desk and informed the nurse of Sehun's condition. The nurse made Luhan and Sehun wait for an half an hour until a doctor could take them. Luhan was not happy about that, but only decided to just to glare at the nurse.

 

Sehun laughed inside his mind at how Luhan was acting as if Sehun was going to die. Even better is that he was giving others dirty looks which is totally out of his general character. He ended up trying to comfort Luhan more than Luhan comforting him.

 

Sehun patted Luhan's hand when the doctor came back with some test results, as he was very tense and looked like he was going to snap in a minute.

 

"Doctor is it anything bad?" Luhan asked in a scared tone.

 

The doctor smiled at Luhan and shook his head. "No its nothing bad, just a case of hoarseness. Probably from drinking and talking to much in the cold."

 

A smiled cracked on Sehun's lips when he found out that his assumptions were correct.

 

"So how long will his voice be gone?" Luhan asked.

 

The doctor looked at his clipboard. "No more than a day. He'll be fine."

 

"And the treatments?"

 

"Well I highly recommend that your friend here to not smoke or drink or be around other's who smoke. Also drink plenty of water, you need to stay hydrated. Do not try to use your voice, not even a whisper. That only puts more strain on your vocal cords. Finally humidify your home. The moist air helps the throat."

 

Sehun smiled and nodded. Luhan sighed, finally not on the edge after finding out his friend will be perfectly fine.

 

The doctor glanced at his clipboard again.

 

"Oh I almost forgot. Stay away from coffee. Caffeine does no good."

 

The doctor had no idea how much that one detail broke Sehun's heart in a millions. He hadn't had any coffee since yesterday morning he was truly craving for one.

 

Luhan pitied Sehun when he looked how sad and angry Sehun looked. He then felt guilty as he thought that if he didn't make Sehun go to the beach before, he wouldn't be in the predicament.

 

The couple left the clinic after the doctor billed them. They were standing at a curb, both looking like hot messes. Sehun had dark bags under his eyes and his pale seemed sick. His hair was not properly combed so it was unruly. Luhan as well had messy hair and was braking out in cold sweats.

 

"Sorry Sehun." Luhan looked down at the floor. "If I didn't make you go-"

 

Sehun interrupted Luhan by hitting him on the back. Luhan looked up and made eye contact with Sehun.

 

Sehun wasn't blaming him nor did he seem to like Luhan apologizing to him. Luhan could see that and smiled when Sehun did.

 

"Well I still feel bad, so I'll make it up to you by helping around house until you feel better. Is that alright with you?" Luhan asked shyly.

 

Sehun gave Luhan a quick hug and nodded. They both stared at each other for a while before something behind Sehun caught Luhan's eyes. They gleamed the moment they landed on something or more like someone.

 

"Hey!" Luhan waved his arms then grabbed Sehun's wrist and pulled him towards the direction of a group of people on motorcycles.

 

Sehun immediately could tell they were a motorcycle gang with the way all the members had coordinated outfits and similar skeleton stickers on their motorcycle bumpers.

 

Sehun had no idea why Luhan was trying to talk with them, but he did know he did not like it.

 

Sehun eyes widen as a man, with a beard and arms and chest covered of tattoos, turned around and glared at the two boys.

 

He looked at Luhan and gave Luhan the meanest look Sehun has ever seen, well more like second because Tao's furious look will always be number one in Sehun's book.

 

"What are you doing here, old man. Still riding that old thing?" Luhan pointed at the blue Harley the man was sitting on.

 

Sehun stared at Luhan as if he lost his mind. Firstly, because he just kind of insulted the buff mean looking guy and secondly he insulted the buff mean looking guy's bike and from what Sehun knew, buff mean looking guys in biker gangs don't take that too kindly.

 

"You sure have a lot of nerve coming over here Luhan after what you did 5 years ago." The man sneered.

 

Sehun gawked at Luhan, in shock of what the man said. Sehun knew that Luhan done a lot of unbelievable and crazy things but this, this is on a whole another level. Luhan in a freaking biker gang?! What else could the man have done, been the right hand man of a mafia boss?! You know what, that makes a lot of sense, since Luhan can handle a gun like a pro. Maybe Luhan's dad was training him for that?

 

Sehun knew he was being ridiculous with his imagination, but he was trying hard to make sense of the situation. It's only worse because he couldn't talk or ask Luhan about it at all.

 

"Do you mean when I kicked your when I challenged you for a race?" Luhan asked.

 

"No when you trashed my Harley right after." the man growled.

 

"Oh please, it was a scratch. Besides I paid for the repairs." Luhan laughed.

 

The two had some sort of staring contest before the man broke out in a smile and gave Luhan a bear hug. At first Sehun thought the man was crushing Luhan to death, but then he saw Luhan hug him back.

 

"Gosh, its been too long. You've grown up well boy." The man ruffled his hair.

 

"Yes it has been and you've grown older." Luhan teased.

 

"Jokester as always aren't ya. Haven't changed a bit." The man then looked at Sehun, glaring at him.

 

Sehun didn't understand why the man gave him a dirty look, but Sehun made sure to return it.

 

The man laughed. "Well who's your friend?"

 

Luhan looked at Sehun, realizing that the younger was with him. He looked nervous as he greeted the two.

 

"Sehun this is Cane, an old friend of me and my dad. And Cane this is Sehun, a close friend of mine."

 

"Nice to meet you, boy." Cane offered his hand.

 

Sehun nodded and shook it.

 

"Not a man of many words I see." Cane commented.

 

"No it's not that. Its just that Sehun lost his voice and can't speak." Luhan explained.

 

Cane turned around to his biker gang. Some of the other members waved at Luhan, as they knew who the young boy was. Others just looked at them since they joined the gang after Luhan no longer came around.

 

Luhan waved back and smiled.

 

"So what are you doing by the beach side? I thought you lived in the city?" Cane asked.

 

"I do, me and Sehun came out yesterday to have some fun. Now we have to find a way to get home."

 

A small smile found it's way on Cane's face.

 

"Well I could help you out on that."

 

Luhan looked surprised at first, but slowly mirrored the smile.

 

Sehun stomach dropped as he caught on to Cane's and Luhan's mischievous smiles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm going die, I'm going to die! Were the only thoughts Sehun had in his mind as he tightened his arms around Luhan's waist.

 

What Sehun was scared of, came true only a few minutes before hand. Luhan borrowed Cane's motorcycle and made Sehun get on the back of it. Although Sehun wanted to strictly object, he didn't want to look like a coward in front of everyone, especially Luhan. So he kept his mouth shut, not that he could talk anyway, and prayed that he wouldn't die in a motorcycle accident because he sure it would be very painful.

 

Now they were riding within the circle of the biker gang and everyone seemed to be having a good time. The most obvious one was Luhan as he was smiling from ear to ear. He hadn't ridden a motorcycle in years. He's forgotten how much he loved to ride. The wind blowing through your hair and how it gave you such a rush every time you sped up.

 

Luhan did make sure he didn't go overboard as he noticed that Sehun was completely terrified and kept grabbing on to Luhan for dear life. Of course Luhan didn't hate the idea of Sehun's face on his neck and his warm breath slightly tickling his collarbone or the way Sehun's arms wrapped around him perfectly, it was just that he couldn't breathe every time Sehun clung to him as if he was going to fall off.

 

After some time Sehun did relax a little and actually began to enjoy the ride. They rode near the beach side, watching the ocean waves crash into one another and the early birds who jogged or rode their bikes. It was calming to Sehun and he ended up smiling the whole way home.

 

When the two said goodbye to the motorcycle gang, Luhan promised to stay in contact, they went inside and dumped their bags on the kitchen floor.

 

"Oh god I'm exhausted." Luhan yawned and stretched.

 

Sehun agreed, but didn't make a move to go upstairs and sleep. He decided to stay in the kitchen and maybe get some typing in as he had rush of inspiration.

 

"Aw man, its been so long since I last seen Cane. Still silly and whiny as ever about that Harley of his. I wonder if his wife Linda ever tried to get rid of it out of jealousy." Luhan grinned and went to the fridge.

 

Sehun walked out the room and quickly returned with a notepad and a pen. He scribbled something down and tapped Luhan's shoulder. Luhan backed out of the fridge with a piece of sliced meat in his mouth and his arms full of peaches and nutella.

 

Sehun shoved the notepad in Luhan's face.

 

"You know we're going to have a very, very long talk about yourself when I get my voice back." Luhan read off the paper. He blushed and looked down before looking at Sehun. He nodded understanding Sehun's curiosity.

 

"Ok we'll talk about it soon." Luhan said and walked over to the counter and placed the items on it. "But you also have to talk about yourself as well."

 

Sehun rolled his eyes, but also nodded. He didn't think his life story would be any thing as close as Luhan's, but if it was to get the older to finally talk, he was willing to talk as well.

 

"Ok I'm going to make us some toast with nutella and peaches with water. Is that ok with you?" Luhan asked as he put two pieces of bread in the toaster and began to cut up the peaches.

 

Sehun sat at his usual spot at the kitchen table and hummed.

 

"Don't do that." Luhan waved his finger at Sehun.

 

Sehun raised his eyebrows as of he was saying why.

 

"Anything you do can strain your vocal cords. So no humming and no I do not care for your eye rolling right now mister, so you better quit it." Luhan scolded.

 

Sehun quietly sighed and opened his laptop on the kitchen table. As he was about to pull up his story, Luhan slammed the laptop shut.

 

Sehun jumped a bit at that and glared at Luhan.

 

"No computer playing at the kitchen when we're eating." Luhan slid the laptop across from Sehun and placed a plate with 2 slices of toast with nutella and sliced up peaches. He then put a full glass of water next to it. "Now eat while I go get the humidifier." Then he rushed off to Sehun's storage closet.

 

Sehun wanted to say "Yes MOM." But couldn't and that frustrated him as he could no longer be a smart like he always was. He bit into his toast and smiled. Well at least Luhan was taking care of him, even though he could be sort of bossy. But still, that's besides the point, Luhan never took care of Sehun. For the other 10, yes, but Sehun, never.

 

Sehun was not the type who was dependent on others so Luhan never bothered to baby him like he did the others and sometimes Sehun was a little jealous of that. But no more! Luhan was taking care of him now and he was happy with that, but he never admit that to anyone. Not even to himself.

 

Luhan came back in the room carrying the large object and sat it a few feet away from Sehun. He then plugged it and it put it on. Sehun reached out and dragged a chair right next to his, leaving to gap in between. He patted it, signaling for Luhan to join him.

 

Luhan skipped his way to the seat and sat down next to Sehun with a bright expression. Sehun hand fed Luhan a piece of toast and Luhan hand fed Sehun the peaches, as it was just a sign of affection, not of romantic relations, but of friendship.

 

No longer than an hour later Luhan was still sitting next to Sehun, reading a book, while Sehun was working on his rough draft of his story. They both were startled when the back door swung open revealing someone holding a box with a picture of a coffee maker on it.

 

The boy staggered forward, successfully making it to the kitchen table and setting the box on it. With the box out of the way, Chen's face was revealed, looking tired and disoriented.

 

"Oh, hi Chen." Luhan chirped and waved. He put down the book and stood up.

 

"Hi Luhan, I didn't know you would be here." Chen wiped the sweat off his forehead.

 

Luhan only smiled and picked up the coffee box. "I'm guessing this is Sehun's replacement?"

 

Chen smiled, proudly and put his hands on his hips. "Yes this is." He then looked at Sehun. "I'm allowed in your house now, aren't I?"

Sehun nodded his head with a huge smile on his face. He grabbed the box from Luhan and proceeded to open it. His eyes gleamed as he pulled out his brand new coffee machine. He carried it to where his old coffee machine used to be and put the replacement one at the exact spot.

 

As it should be, Sehun thought.

 

"Wow, I've been here for at least 2 minutes and Sehun has yet to make a snarky comment. Luhan, do you have Sehun whipped or something?" Chen looked confused.

 

Sehun glared at Chen while Luhan chuckled.

 

"No, its just that Sehun lost his voice and can't talk." Luhan explained. "I'm sure he's been thinking of smart things to you at this very moment." Sehun nodded his head at that.

 

Chen mouth formed an O. "Y-You can't talk? Then what about my problem? I need to talk to you, like now."

 

Sehun shrugged. Chen frowned.

 

"Well that's just ing great. I worked my off in overtime to buy you a new coffee machine, but once I get it, you can't even help me." Chen ranted. He was ready to storm out when Luhan tugged on his sleeve.

 

"Calm down Chen. There is no need to be so hostile. Besides I'm Sehun's translator for today. So feel free to tell us your predicament, if you don't mind?"

 

Chen scratched his head, contemplating if he should stay or not.

 

"Fine, I'll stay." Chen said thinking that he didn't come all the way to Sehun's house for nothing.

 

Luhan closed the back door and gestured for Chen to make himself at home and have a seat. Sehun returned to his original seat and Luhan returned to the sit next to Sehun's.

 

Luhan folded his hands on the table and sat up straight. "So Chen, what's bothering you?"

 

Chen sighed. "Work."

 

Sehun scoffed. He knew that wasn't the problem at all.

 

Luhan, who saw Sehun's reaction to Chen's answer, told him that Chen was holding out.

 

"Come on Chen, I need you to be truthful." Luhan said.

 

"But." Chen began.

 

"No buts. If you need help, you need to tell us what is exactly going on with you." Luhan made his voice sound firmer.

 

"Fine. But don't you dare laugh." Chen crossed his arms.

 

Luhan hit Sehun's arm as the younger rolled his eyes. "We would never do such a thing."

 

Chen looked at both of them before frowning. "I miss Xiumin. I haven't seen him for more than a week and its because I had to catch up with work. And then when I did catch up, my boss decided that I should double my work load since I've been working 'diligently' lately. And now I'm buried in work again and I don't even have a minute to look or talk to Xiumin."

 

Luhan nodded his head in understanding. Sehun commenced to roll his eyes again.

 

"I've also been thinking a lot since I'm alone most of the time and I realized how mean I've been to Xiumin. I mean, don't you remember all the mean things I've said to him? He must think I'm a jerk and I'm ashamed with myself to the point where I even avoid him now." Chen rubbed his cheek. "I'm just so confused right now."

 

"So a part of you want to see him, but another part is too ashamed to confront him?" Luhan asked to clarify.

 

Chen slightly nodded his head. "I just don't know what to do."

 

"Wow, that is a problem. What do you think Sehun?" Luhan turned to Sehun.

 

Sehun looked at Luhan as if it was obvious to see what Chen had to do.

 

Sehun gestured his hand to Chen as if that should be explanation enough.

 

Luhan coughed. "You know I'm not an action or mind reader, right?"

 

Sehun began to rub his temples in frustration. He really didn't know how to communicate without talking.

 

Luhan slightly frowned at the obvious irritation on Sehun's face.

 

"Uh, what about this. I'll start it off and if its wrong, shake your head until I get the right idea."

 

Sehun didn't look satisfied with the idea, but nodded his head anyway.

 

"I suggest that you go back to your original work load and tell your boss you aren't welling to do extra work without extra pay." Luhan turned his head every 5 seconds to see if he was giving the right advice. So far so good.

 

"Ok I get that, but what about Xiumin?"

 

"Apologize to him?" Luhan said as more of a question then a statement.

 

Sehun immediately shook his head.

 

"No?" Luhan asked. "Why? Isn't that the right thing to do?"

 

Sehun nodded.

 

"But he shouldn't?" Luhan scratched his head.

 

Sehun tapped his wrist as if he was pointing at an invisible face of a watch.

 

"He should but, not right now?" Luhan slowly caught on.

 

Sehun smiled and gave Chen a thumbs up.

 

Chen, who was watching the two interact, tapped the table gaining the two attentions.

 

"Why?" Chen asked. "There must be a reason why I have to wait."

 

Sehun nudged Luhan and gave him a look.

 

"Sehun says that he'll call you when he can talk and explain why." Luhan began to hold onto Sehun's arm.

 

Chen narrowed his eyes. "How come you knew what he was talking about when he looked at you, but earlier you couldn't? That's weird."

 

"Sehun and I have an on and off connection. Sometimes its good and others its bad." Luhan explained.

 

Sehun agreed, liking the metaphor Luhan presented.

 

Chen didn't question them anymore about the subject seeing that the two won't say anything that would make sense to him.

 

"I am curious though. Luhan why are you here? I mean I know you and Sehun hang out, but I never seen you here so early in the morning." Chen brought up instead.

 

"Oh didn't Sehun tell you? I took him out to have fun. We ended up sleeping at a motel by the beach."

 

"Woah! Hold on. Wait a god damn minute! You are telling me you got Sehun outside for a whole day AND got him to sleep at a motel?! Chen said, surprised, because he knew more than anyone how Sehun felt about going out into the outside world. Not to mention that he hated sleeping anywhere if it's not his bed.

 

"Yeah. We had a couple drinks so I don't think he was thinking too much about it." Luhan leaned closer to Sehun.

 

Sehun did remember not thinking too much about the motel room because he was too focused on his headache and Luhan.

 

"You even got him to drink?! You are officially a miracle worker." Chen put up his hands.

 

Sehun glared at Chen and tried to look for the nearest object to throw at Chen's head.

 

Luhan chuckled. "It's not that big of a deal Chen. Sehun knows how to let loosen up when he wants to. He's not Ebenezer Scrooge."

 

Sehun smiled at the compliment.

 

"Yeah and I'm not a troll." Chen snorted. "Well I should be going now. I'm going laser tagging with Chanyeol to cheer him up."

 

"Chanyeol's down about something?" Luhan asked, now his turn to be surprised.

 

"Yeah, he's been pretty upset for a while and won't tell me why. So I'm going to get that big guy to smile again. Bye." Chen waved as he headed for the door.

 

Sehun raised an eyebrow at this.

 

Now this was new. Chanyeol is rarely seen sad. Yeah he's been bored or angry before, but upset? Sehun wasn't sure if that was part of Chanyeol's dictionary.

 

As Chen reached out for the door knob, the door swung open.

 

"Sehun we need to ta-" Xiumin stopped mid sentence as he came face to face with Chen, a face he hasn't seen for some time. "Oh Chen, you're here."

 

Chen froze in his spot and cold sweat began to run down his face.

 

Before Xiumin could ask where the boy has been, Chen brushed passed Xiumin and left the premises.

 

Sehun saw how Xiumin's hands curled in to fist. His face grew dark and he looked extremely pissed.

 

After standing there for some time, Luhan spoke up to break the awkward atmosphere.

 

"Xiumin. You needed to talk?"

 

Xiumin slammed the door close and dropped in his seat.

 

"We need to talk about Chen. Now." Xiumin growled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"So what's the deal about Chen?" Luhan carefully slid a cup of herbal tea to Xiumin.

 

"He's been avoiding me."

 

"How do you know?" Luhan asked, in a oblivious manner even though he knew  why Chen was avoiding Xiumin.

 

Sehun applauded Luhan's innocent act.

 

"Well at first I thought he was too busy with work and , but when I would see him and I'm around him, he totally ignores me. He talks to his other friends and not even attempt to make fun of me like he always does. Even some of the co-workers noticed how Chen is acting around me." Xiumin crossed his arms.

 

Luhan sighed and looked at Sehun for help. Sehun just stared at Xiumin.

 

Xiumin noticed the way Sehun was looking at him. "What?! Why aren't you saying anything?!" Xiumin snapped.

 

Sehun waved Xiumin away.

 

"I think he wants you to leave." Luhan turned to Xiumin. "Although I don't know why."

 

Xiumin eyes widened. "What?! Why?!" Xiumin jumped out his seat. Sehun just looked at Xiumin not even attempting to respond.

 

"Why the hell aren't you saying anything?!" Xiumin snapped again.

 

"He lost his voice Xiumin and please calm down." Luhan tried to soothe the other. He then looked at Sehun. "Please tell me  why you're sending Xiumin away when he's obviously sulking."

 

"Yah! I'm not sulking! I'm just pissed Chen is treating me as if I don't exist." Xiumin tried to clarify.

 

Sehun looked at Luhan and gestured for a pen and paper.

 

Luhan went to a kitchen drawer to fetch them. He handed them to Sehun.

 

Sehun began to scribble down whatever he had to say quickly. He handed the paper to Luhan and leaned back in his chair.

 

" Remember when I told you not to come to me complaining about Chen. I wasn't kidding. At all." Luhan read out line. he put the paper with a funny look in his face. "Did Sehun say that to you?"

 

Xiumin opened his mouth to deny that, but than it hit him when he was all happy that Chen wasn't bothering him and how Sehun warned him. He frowned.

 

"So he did." Luhan hummed. "Well I guess you can't complain then. You know how Sehun feels about going back on his word." Luhan sighed and patted Xiumin's shoulder.

 

"Whatever." Xiumin muttered. "I'll go since I can't get any help here. Thanks for nothing." Xiumin made sure to slam the door just as loud when he entered while he left.

 

Luhan stared at the door and shook his head. He felt bad for Xiumin and began to doubt if Sehun even cared how Xiumin was feeling. He then turned to Sehun who was holding the same notebook with new writing on it.

 

"No one really knows the value of someone until they lose it. Let Xiumin figure this one out on his own. He'll come to understand his feelings."

 

Luhan almost hit himself for doubting how much Sehun cares for his friends. He only means the best for them. Sehun can't always solve their problems, but he could guide them. Even if it meant some tough love.

 

A/N

School is already kicking my and its only been 3 weeks.

Porque?!!!!!

Tired, sleepy and hungry. Definitely not a good combo.

I hope you enjoy the chapter.

Now will you excuse me while I go bang my head into a wall.