The Very Last Dance For Me

Hey There, Brace Face!

author's note : i have a song link somewhere in the middle. you don't have to listen to it though. i thought you guys might like to listen to it first because it's not a kpop song to see how it sounds like before reading. but i don't see why you wouldn't know because it's a really popular western song. it'll help you make better sense but of course, if you'd rather not listen to it, that's fine.


“Alright everyone, gather around!” Mrs. Park called out to the students in the auditorium, “We’ll be dancing now. You may choose not to dance but please do, it’ll be fun,”

The lights dimmed enough so that it gave off a dance club feel, and the strobe lights went on. Choyoung and Bee were lazily eating at their sleeping bags. They weren’t into these kinds of dance things and seeing that both had two left feet, it would be dangerous if they did. Choyoung was in the middle of finishing a moon pie when Chan came over and pulled her up to her feet. She protested, telling him she’ll dance later when she was done but Chan playfully reached over and popped the rest of it in . Bee was laughing at Choyoung, not even bothering to get up from the floor to help her. She figured that it would be in her best interest to leave the two of them to themselves.

Psy’s newly released single, Gentleman, resonated throughout the room. Students were all over the place, dancing the parts that they knew. The only ones actually looking like they knew what they were doing were the various cover artists, Psy fans, dancers and members of the dance team. Chan was one of them. In the first year class, he was known and most popular for his great dance skills. He encouraged Choyoung to do the Arrogant Dance with him but she utterly failed. Dancing just wasn’t her thing. Nonetheless, she enjoyed it. Chan dragged her around, and they swayed their hips wildly to the song. There wasn’t a moment when the two of them weren’t smiling.

“Look at those two,” Soonyoung grumbled to himself as he watched the duo enjoy each other’s company, “I can’t believe even Jihoon’s out there dancing with someone!”

Jihoon was forced into dancing with Bee despite his protests but he seemed to be having a good time. Jihoon loved dancing, and the most important thing to him was showing off his ability rather than focusing on the person he was dancing with. Bee was really just off to the side with another group of girls with Jihoon dancing close by himself. Soonyoung grouchily sat on his sleeping bag in the corner of the room by himself. Everyone was having a good time and they hadn’t even gotten that far into the song.

Finally bored, he decided to dance by himself off to the side. He didn’t need to be with the rest of the students in that mob to dance. Soonyoung, like Jihoon, had a thing for dancing. His moves, though overshadowed by the popularity of the other students, were sharp, precise and could bring any girl onto her knees. Slick and cool, it was if another person would take over and control his body when he danced. He wasn’t his regular, school boy self, rather, he was the confident leader that girls would fall for.

Unlike the masses, he actually knew the dance to Gentleman. Because he was dedicated to dancing, he knew the dances to most kpop songs. At the chorus, he swayed his hips like they didn’t lie. A small group of girls in his class noticed this and shyly made their way over to him, introducing themselves over the loud music. Soonyoung was irritated. He didn’t like being bothered by people when he was in the zone; it totally killed his concentration. He faked a smile and acknowledged the girls, but excused himself to go get food. They offered in coming with him but he escaped by saying that he was going to stop by the bathroom before going to the food table, and told them that they should enjoy the rest of the song with each other. He widened his smile, making it seem more believable, and then he left.

When he reached the table, Soonyoung could make out two familiar light pink feet from underneath the tablecloth. Smiling, bent over and grabbed the figure’s ankles and dragged it out from underneath the table. The girl yelped, as she slid across the floor, bringing out the case of water bottles with her. Peering over her shoulder, she yelled, “Kwon Soonyoung! What was that for?”

“Kwan Choyoung!” Soonyoung mocked her tone, “What did Professor Lim tell us about going under the table?”

Defeated, Choyoung dusted herself off and kicked the water bottle case back under the table, sneaking out with the bottle she wanted. Her bangs were clumped strands across her forehead from all the energy she put into dancing; she felt she could keep going. Soonyoung reached over for one of the chocolate chip cookie platters, “So who are you dancing with?” He asked, knowing exactly who it was.

“Chan,” Choyoung said, giggling a little to herself. She still couldn’t believe that Chan actually asked her to dance with him. Of course, all that ‘I don’t know how to dance,’ act was all for show because really, she did. If anything, that was the only extracurricular activity that she did. Well, sort of. She stopped dance early in her elementary school. But she still had some sense of dancing. Soonyoung took note of her actions and crinkled his nose as he stuffed the rest of the cookie in his mouth. It was so unlike of Choyoung to giggle over boys.

“After the next two songs, you’re coming with me,” Soonyoung firmly stated, reaching over again for another cookie, this time sugar, “And no, you’re not going to not dance with me,”

“Why do you want me to dance with you?” Choyoung asked, “I really don’t want to dance with you. In fact, who would dance with you?”

Soonyoung pointed over to the girls who had approached him earlier, “Them,”

At this, Choyoung couldn’t help but roll her eyes.


 

“We’re going to take it a bit slow now,” Seunggwan, now DJ Bu, announced over the microphone, “We’ll start off with a little of Michael Buble’s Save the Last Dance for Me for all you couples out there,”

The students cheered, knowing that the teachers had already left the campus leaving them with the 24 hour security. Seunggwan knew a whole of songs from different cultures so he was offered the position of being the DJ for the night. A few of the first year girls ran up to the front of the room asking if Seunggwan would take turns dancing with them but he refused and said he was too busy with the music. Jihoon and Soonyoung were in the back of the room; the shorter hiding behind Soonyoung so Bee wouldn’t find him. In about a minute, Soonyoung saw Choyoung walking towards them with Bee following suit. Jihoon froze in his position, hoping that Bee wouldn’t realize he was there if he didn’t move.

“My, don’t you look lovely today?” Soonyoung teased Choyoung for her outfit yet again.

“Whatever, just hurry up. I had to miss slow dancing with Chan because of you,”

“You could have simply said no,”

“Yeah but then that would make me look like a bad person, which I’m not,”

Choyoung pulled a paper towel out of her pocket and dabbed her forehead with it. She dried her bangs and began asked Bee to assist her in pulling the zipper down from her footies. Soonyoung was shocked at first but then he realized that she had shorts and a shirt underneath. He took notice of them being form-fitting but they weren’t skin tight either. He never really noticed how her body was like in those unflattering uniforms.

“Oh yeah, Bee,” Soonyoung piped up, feeling Jihoon tense up from behind him, “Jihoon oppa’s here if you’re looking to invite him to slow dance with you,”

“You little ,” Soonyoung heard Jihoon whisper from behind him, making the corners of his mouth pull into a slight smile.

Choyoung grabbed Soonyoung’s sleeve, leaving Jihoon exposed to his worst nightmare. The two pairs made their way to the other couples dancing. There were a lot of ‘Forever Alone’ boys, who also doubled as the jokesters of their grades, who were slow dancing with each other. Some girls were on the dance floor but they weren’t doing anything but just taking up living space. Others were legitimate couples and some were just opposite gender friends who were comfortable with one another. There were also some couples who were crowded around by their best friends or just general friends and fangirling about how cute their two classmates were dancing together.

Choyoung took Soonyoung’s left hand in her right hand while Soonyoung slid his right hand on her left shoulder blade. They both knew how to do the simple ballroom hold just by watching Youtube videos in their own free time and just learning it out of interest. As the song played, they glided around the dance floor, slipping through the various couples who were just rocking back and forth. Just because others didn’t know how to slow dance didn’t mean they were prohibited from doing so properly.

“Well you can dance, every dance with the guy that gives you the eye; let him hold you tight,” Soonyoung sang along in his ‘perfect’ English, making Choyoung put her head down to laugh. They wove through two third year couples who were so close to grinding already even though it wasn’t even a song that was grindable to. Choyoung didn’t know what she was laughing at: Soonyoung’s Engrish, or how adorable he was right now. Not that she thought he was adorable or anything, she just found it to be out of the norm for him.

“But don’t forget who’s taking you home, and in whose arms you’re gonna be,” Soonyoung spun her out and with a flick of his wrist, she twirled right back to him where he again sang in English, wiggling his eyebrows while he was at it, “So darling, save the last dance for me,”

Choyoung spun around and went back to ballroom hold, cheeks warming up. Soonyoung mentally praised her on having a sense of basic ballroom dancing because if not, they wouldn’t have looked as impressive as they did right now. Soonyoung dipped her, singing, “Laugh and sing, but while we’re apart, don’t give your heart to anyone,”

A few of the first year boys, including Seunggwan, chime a chorus of, ‘Oooooohhhs,’ while the girls were squealing at the scene. They wanted their partners to do that with them but their partners were too busy fangirling about how Soonyoung was, again, “Gettin’ it.” It was easy for the two of them to dance, because their socks helped them glide around much easier. Choyoung danced on the tips of her toes to even out their height. For the first time with Soonyoung, she was having actually having fun.

“Baby don’t you know I love you so?” Soonyoung continued, pulling her closer with a sort of ‘suggestive’ look on his face as he said, “Can’t you feel it when we touch?”

Choyoung would have normally cringed at that but instead, she almost broke down laughing, not even noticing that Soonyoung had shortened the space between them. As the two passed by their friends who were doing what everyone else was doing, rocking back and forth, they heard Jihoon and Bee cheering their support for the two. Choyoung thought she heard Bee yell out something along the lines of, "Don't get so close that you'll get your braces stuck again!" This made her laugh once again. Soonyoung caught a glimpse of Chan sitting on his sleeping bag, just as he had been doing earlier, with a displeased look on his face. This made Soonyoung feel like he was on top of the world. I guess practicing with a stuffed animal in his room paid off.