The Other Thing

Hey There, Brace Face!

“Well kids, we’re here!”

Mrs. Kwon energetically hopped out of the van, stretching her arms wide to emphasize the vast forest grounds. The others didn’t seem to share her enthusiasm as they came out groggily rubbing their eyes and yawning. Bee was the first one to pop her head out from the back seat, eyes half-closed with drowsiness. Jihoon forced himself to wake up only to have his head fall onto her back with a light thud. His cheeks squished, making him look like the perfect chubby faced angel. Bee stumbled out of the van, ignoring Jihoon’s sleeping self and watched as he slid down from the chair and onto the earth below them. Soonyoung was busy shaking Choyoung awake.

“Choyoung, we’re here, wake up,” he said, lightly patting her face. She pushed his hand away and settled back into the pillow she was resting on. He heard her mumble something about giving her five more minutes only to doze off again. He rolled his eyes; he told her that she shouldn’t have gone to sleep in the middle of the night watching that Chinese drama. Now here she was, completely drained and unable to move. Leaning in, he made sure that he was close enough to whisper in her ear, “You don’t want our parents catching me doing this do you?” For added effect, he nuzzled his nose in the crook of her neck, making her delightfully giggle.

“Alright, I’m up!” she squealed when Soonyoung snuck a quick kiss on her lips. He always did enjoy watching her squirm whenever he did something intimate when they weren’t in the comforts of privacy. He was actually looking forward to this trip mainly because he knew he was going to be sharing a room with Choyoung. That meant they would have more alone time to themselves. Choyoung stuck her tongue out at him and climbed over his knees to get out of the van. She heard a giggling fit over to her right and she realized that Jihoon and Bee had their faces plastered onto the van window. They were so nosy.

Soonyoung and her went around to the back to grab their bags; he insisted that he carry her bags but she told him that she wanted to hold something too. They arrived at the shelters the grounds provided for them. Camping wasn’t a big thing in Korea and tents weren’t big on camping grounds either. Usually, grounds like these offered motel-like rooms where people could sleep in when they weren’t enjoying the ground facilities. Each room held two people and they already arranged their sleeping pairs. The only person that wasn’t thrilled with his was Jihoon who was rooming with Bee. He was starting to believe that Choyoung and Soonyoung’s moms were trying to play matchmaker on them.

“I call dibs on the bed first!” Choyoung proposed as they approached the rooms.

Soonyoung smirked, “Oh come on now, we both know you’re going to be asking me to sleep next to you by the time night comes,”

Choyoung wrinkled her nose, knowing he was right. Though it might sound wrong out of context, she admit that liked sleeping with Soonyoung. Whenever she slept with Soonyoung, she fell asleep knowing that someone was going to be there with her when she woke up. Another pro that came out of sleeping with him was that Soonyoung was a light sleeper, so if she ever woke up at night because of something, she could easily wake him up. The best part was that he always snuggled close to her so she was warm. When she was younger, she had the tendency to get morning sinuses because she got cold at night, but whenever she slept with Soonyoung, she would wake up in the clear. The only thing she could come up with was, “Don’t get ahead of yourself,”

“Jihoon, it’s not that hard to unlock a door!”

The couple in training looked up to see their best friends huddled around their room door with Jihoon frustratingly turning the key and Bee yelling at him for doing it wrong. The whole unlocking doors idea was foreign to him since his house didn’t have keys. All he had was an access card he would swipe across the sensor and then it would unlock. His parents were huge promoters of automatic technology making their lives easier and frankly, it did. Unless it actually came to be faced with doing manual things, then he looked bad. Blowing his bangs up, Jihoon ripped the key out of the lock and dangled it in front of her face, “Fine, if you know so much then you open the door,”

“I’d be honored,” she spat, emphasizing the word ‘honored’. Snatching the keys form his fingers, she swiftly unlocked the door faster than he could ever have imagined doing. Sticking her nose up high in the air, she proudly walked into the room, leaving him speechless outside, staring at the key wondering, “How did she do that so quickly?”

Once Choyoung unlocked the door to their room, they threw their bags inside, not even caring where and how they landed. She flopped onto the bed onto her stomach, closing her eyes, breathing in the earthen scent. A relaxing aromatic blend of oak, ginger, and pine wafted up her nose, releasing her tense body from its ties. Soonyoung laid down next to her on his side so he could see her. Propping himself up by his elbow, he rubbed her back, “How can you be tired already? All you did was sleep on the way here!”

“I know I did,” Choyoung mumbled into the pillow beneath her, “I’m tired of sleeping!”

Soonyoung laid his head down and placed his hands behind his head, staring up at the ceiling, “I guess I’ll just have to go to the pool alone then. Too bad, it was a nice day out too,”

He peeked over at Choyoung who didn’t seem like she cared. Her face was still buried into the pillow, her back lightly rising up and down as she breathed. Pushing himself up into a sitting position, he slid off the bed and walked towards his suitcase. Choyoung remained lifeless. Walking towards the base of the bed, he pressed his hands against the wood as he leaned over smirking, “I wonder if those cute girls I saw are heading over there now,”

He caught Choyoung’s small fingers ball up into loose fist but she still remained face-down. He walked over to her side of the bed, crouched down, and laid his head down on the edge. This time, he whispered into her ear, “I wonder if they look good in bikinis,”

“Okay, fine! You win!” Choyoung angrily lifted her head up from the pillow to Soonyoung’s amusement. She hated it when Soonyoung would do this to her. It was verbal blackmail! Okay, maybe not blackmail, but she figured it was something along those lines. Smiling, Soonyoung brought her up to her feet and pulled her into an embrace. Her arms circled around to his back as she propped her chin up on his chest to look up at him. Wrinkling her nose, she said, “But when we get there, you better not look at those three, okay?”

The corners of Choyoung’s mouth lifted into a smile when Soonyoung pressed his lips against her forehead. Ruffling her hair, he winked, “No promises,”

immediately pulled into a frown within seconds, “Hey!”


“Aww, Choyoung!” Jihoon cooed when Choyoung hesitantly lifted her white swimsuit cover-up above her head. She was the last one to show what swimsuit she was wearing. He couldn’t help but continuously hit Soonyoung’s upper arm because he didn’t know how else to express his feelings. Soonyoung on the other hand couldn’t wipe off the grin that was fighting its way onto his face. He wasn’t making fun of her swimsuit, that’s for sure, but the way she thought that what she was wearing was a sin looked so childish. Jihoon cupped both sides of his face, “You’re wearing a skirt!”

Choyoung slowly started to bring her cover-up back on so she could hide her embarrassing swimsuit once more. It was an old swimsuit of hers honestly. Ever since she last wore it in first year of middle school, she realized that she didn’t grow since then. She still fit in it. It was a halter neck dress-style swimsuit with a pink floral design on the white canvas that lightly cinched at her waist. At the hem of the skirt, there was a darker pink ruffled trim. The V neckline was modest, and it didn’t reveal too much. It was from the children’s section after all. Jihoon rushed over and snatched the cover-up away, “No, don’t put it back on! It’s adorable! Hyung, don’t you think so?”

Soonyoung’s nose crinkled cutely as he sarcastically mouthed, “Cute,”

“Well, I’m not going to apologize for not wearing a y two piece,” Choyoung stuck her tongue out at him. Before they even entered the pool area, she had already caught him eyeing some of the older girls there who were wearing two pieces. Some had ruffles at the top so their busts could look bigger. Unfortunately for her, she was also part of the Itty Bitty Committee. Laughing, Soonyoung walked over taking her hands in his. He lightly bounced them up and down in his as he spoke, “Good, don’t apologize. I don’t want you wearing anything revealing. Besides, I really do think you look adorable in that,”

“Ew no PDAs guys!” Jihoon turned around pretending to gag making Choyoung and Soonyoung roll their eyes. He could be so double sided. On one hand, he could be their biggest fan, but on the other, he didn’t actually like first-hand experiencing it. Though Jihoon would admire it from afar, he didn’t feel right having two of his friends being all lovey-dovey in front of him. Bee slapped the back of his head, “Let them do what they like!”

Choyoung crossed her arms and leaned on her right leg. She was glad that they hadn’t noticed that she was wearing matching pink Speedo water shoes and made fun of that. Then again, Soonyoung was wearing black ones so it wasn’t that bad. She’s always had a problem with not wearing anything on her feet. It was just an obsession of hers. Even at home she had to wear socks. It’s not like she was insecure or anything, she just liked it. It was kind of like how she would always sleep with a blanket on no matter how hot it was. It just feels odd without a blanket the way it feels odd without having any covering on her feet. From the corner of her eye, Bee’s saw the lifeguards switching and she immediately felt giddy. The previous one was an older man who wasn’t anything to look at but was now switching with someone who was probably a first year college student. Might I add, gorgeous first year college student. Jihoon traced to where her eyes were looking and scoffed, “That guy’s not even cute,”

“Yes he is!” Bee answered back, “Look at those washboard abs,”

Choyoung shook her head at the two who were now bickering it out about how good looking the lifeguard actually was. In her opinion, he wasn’t that bad looking but he wasn’t gorgeous either. Soonyoung was drawn out of the conversation when he noticed Choyoung sit down at one of the beach chairs underneath the beach umbrella. He sat down behind her and rested his head on her shoulder. Choyoung snuggled into his arms when she felt his arms around her waist, “You don't look too happy,”

“No, it’s not that,” Choyoung sighed, tugging at the hem of the coverup that was covering her body once more. Soonyoung rocked back and forth knowing exactly what was going on in her mind. Heknew that she wasn't very confident in her body though, he had no idea why. In fact, he thought that she had absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. Smiling, he watched their two friends bicker in front of them, “I wasn't joking. I'd rather you wear something simple than whatever those other girls are wearing,” He gestured over to the girls who were on the other side of the pool, fawning over the newly arrived lifeguard.

Choyoung giggled, “Though, knowing you, I'm sure you wouldn't mind that,”

The two exploded into laughter when Bee went right ahead and pushed Jihoon into the pool. She had heard enough of his backtalk and went over to strike up a conversation with the lifeguard like the brave spirited girl she was. Jihoon shot up right from the pool dripping with water and ran after her, holding his swim trunks up so they wouldn't slide off. Soonyoung was just about to ask her if she wanted to go into the pool when he was suddenly interaction.

“Oh Choyoung, I didn’t know you were here!” someone stopped in front of the two. Soonyoung lifted his head up from where he was resting by instinct, knowing that if he were to ever get caught by his parents, they would make a big deal out of it. Maybe throw a celebratory party. Who even knew. Both of them recognized the familiar prepubescent voice. To Choyoung, it was the voice that belonged to a friend. To Soonyoung, it was the voice of a rival.

Chan flashed an eye smile at Choyoung while he dried his hair. His white shirt hung on his arm and Choyoung’s curiosity got the best of her. Her eyes traveled down to his lower torso and saw slight ab lines. They weren’t deep, but they were there. Maybe if he coughed really hard, they would show up. Soonyoung caught her staring and looked down at his own shirt debating whether or not he should show off a little skin as well.

“Damn you, Chan,” Soonyoung cursed in his head, “I thought this was called Spring Break for a reason,”


“Oh come on, Soonyoung,” Choyoung stepped out of the bathroom after her long, steaming shower. She wrapped the towel around her soaking hair and sat down on the bed next to him, “Don't be like that. It's not like he did anything,”

And with that, she was referring to Chan. Ever since Chan had made his appearance at the pool, Soonyoung seemed to quiet down and stay to himself. Sure, he followed them around, but he definitely didn't say much whenever the science partners were talking. Standing up, he gathered his things and went into the bathroom. He closed the door so that there was just a crack in the door. He figured that when he was in the shower, she would still want to talk to him. Choyoung heard Soonyoung turn the water on and slowly she saw the fog along the floor. He called out from inside, “But he was definitely checking you out,”

“No he wasn't,” Choyoung hung her towel inside the closet before slipping under the covers, “Besides, if he was then he most certainly didn't see anything special,”

“I still don't like it,”

They continued to go at the topic back and forth for a while before Choyoung decided to spot talking altogether. It's not like she wanted to but she got caught up with the social networking accounts on her phone. She was so happy that the camp grounds had wi-fi; it didn't make sense to her though because anything associated with nature shouldn't have anything electronics related. Well, she guessed that the staff members have to do something in their time here. Soonyoung was done shortly, and once he was dressed, he walked out into the room. He shook his head, chuckling to himself when he saw Choyoung busily typing away on her phone, “Aren't we supposed to be camping?”

“But the place offers wi-fi so I can't really refuse,” Choyoung responded, eyes never leaving the LED screen, “Oh and put a shirt on, will you?”

“Why?” Soonyoung hung his towel in the closet next to hers, “Aren't you enjoying the view?”

“Whatever,”

One downside to the rooms was that the walls were pretty thin. If you listened closely enough, you could probably hear people talking on the other side. To actually listen and understand what they were talking about, then your ears would have to be pressed against the wall while you concentrated. Mr. and Mrs. Kwon were doing exactly that. Choyoung's parents as well because the Kwons invited the two into their room to listen what their children were saying on the other side. They couldn't really make out a lot of the words they were saying but they continued on being nosy anyway. To Mr. Kwon's surprise, he was able to hear a certain snippet of a conversation.

“Are you ready?” he heard Soonyoung ask. The two fathers exchanged worried glances while the mother's cupped their mouths, holding back a chorus of giggles. Neither one of the parents moved. They didn't really want to interrupt the two, but at the same time, they didn't want their kids doing things they shouldn't be doing at this age.

“Ready for what?” Choyoung responded.

“For bed,” At this, Mrs. Kwon pounced on her husband from letting his run out of the room. She told him that there were many way to interpret what 'getting ready for bed' was, and reassured him that Soonyoung was talking about sleeping. Not...the other thing. Mr. Kwan was just as scared as Mr. Kwon was but he was interested in what was going to happen next. So was Mrs. Kwan.

The sound of the bed's headboard hitting against the wall made the four adults jump and resume their positions against the wall. They heard the first creak of their kids' bed frame as Soonyoung climbed under the covers. Mrs. Kwon started to fan herself with her hand, glad that nothing bad was going to happen. The other three sighed in relief knowing that what Soonyoung meant by getting ready was the sleep option. At least, that's what they assumed since there was only one creak of the bed.

“Faster!” they just barely heard Choyoung hiss under her breath. Her parents' eyes doubled in size when they heard this. Soonyoung's parents' hearts skipped a beat. There was about a minute of silence when they heard Choyoung's voice again, this time a bit louder, “Oh my God!”

This was followed by a series of creaking before they heard Soonyoung growl, “Turn the lights off! You're too loud! You'll wake everyone up!”

The fathers' mouths dropped; they really were doing the unthinkable!