Hinting is Very Misleading

Hey There, Brace Face!

“Come on Choyoung, are you really not going to tell me what happened?” Soonyoung whined, pulling at Choyoung's ponytail while he lay face-down on his bed while she sat on the floor with her back to the bed frame. She shook her head, resulting in another chorus of complaints from the older boy, “Please? You're killing me! I want to make sure he didn't do anything to you!”

It was the Sunday, the day after Choyoung and Chan's date, and as usual she was over at his house since both their parents were out for their morning shifts. Both of them had finals to study for, and Soonyoung had promised her that he would give her his Japanese 1 notes from last year to study from. He also added in helping her with Algebra 1 if she made food for him. But things weren't looking up for the both of them in terms of studying: Choyoung was playing games on her laptop and Soonyoung had just finished streaming a re-run of last night's SBA's Tyrants and KRHS Wolves soccer game that he had missed.

“I can assure you that we didn't do anything,” Choyoung looked up and patted his head. A satisfied smile appeared on Soonyoung's face but quickly disappeared when she smirked and turned back to her laptop, “Besides, even if we did I wouldn't tell you. It's rule number one of the girl code. A girl doesn't kiss and tell,”

Screw the rules. He regretted having let her have a chance, but at the same time, he was doing it for his own good. He'd rather not force himself on her but it was killing him just standing by and watching her get friendly with Chan. Pouting, Soonyoung rolled over on his bed and let out a frustrated sigh, “But I'm not a girl!”

“Doesn't matter, I'm a girl,” she argued, pausing her game and closing her laptop so she could turn around and rest her head at the edge of his bed. She giggled when Soonyoung shot her one of his non-intimidating glares; his face was too soft and cute for her to take him seriously. As weird as it sounds though, she enjoyed just admiring Soonyoung's face. He had an adorable charm that she could never get enough of, but she had no idea what it was. Maybe it was his chubby cheeks? Oh but Jihoon had those too so it couldn't be that.

Rolling back over so he was just inches away from Choyoung's face, Soonyoung leaned over enough to press his forehead against hers, “Then, maybe you should kiss me so that I can make sure?”

“No chance, Romeo,” Choyoung avoided his puckered lips, reaching up to hold the sides of his face. She swore she could have died at the face he made when he couldn't land one on her. Lightly tapping him on the nose with her finger, she cutely smiled at him, “Until I can sort myself out, I'm not going to be kissing you or Chan on your mouth or even anywhere near it,”

Eyebrows furrowing, Soonyoung pouted once again, “Hey that's not fair! What do you mean I can't kiss you?”

“Well kissing really confuses me with my feelings, so I decided that until I choose between Chan or you, I won't kiss either of you,” Choyoung explained to him, resting her head in her hands, “And besides, I don't think it's right to be kissing two people at the same time. It's really weird and cheap looking. I want to kiss someone who my heart really belongs to,”

Soonyoung nodded, acknowledging her decision. She was right. After all, it was true that kisses were meant for people that you loved. On top of that, what made him happy was that since he wasn't allowed to kiss her, then Chan wasn't allowed to either. Besides, he knew he kissed Choyoung more than Chan ever did so everything was good. His conscience would let him sleep at night. But then an uncomfortable thought popped into his mind. Twiddling with his fingers, Soonyoung cleared his throat, “So...has Chan kissed you?”

“Well,” the corners of Choyoung's mouth pulled up into a slight smile as she remembered how Chan dropped her off at her house last night. Soonyoung saw this and immediately started to worry. Giggling, Choyoung lifted herself up onto his bed next to him, quickly pecking him on his cheek, “Let's just say that you might get mad at me,”

“Oh come on, just tell me already!” Soonyoung pleaded, snaking his arms around her waist and rested his chin on her shoulder, pulling her body close to his. There was no way he was going to let her go without any hint of her kissing Chan. Maybe she didn't kiss Chan, but even so her argument wasn't convincing enough.


“Look Bee, I already said I'm sorry!” Jihoon draped an arm over Bee's shoulders as they walked down the hallway to the courtyard, lightly shaking her, “How many times do I have to keep saying that I'm sorry until you tell me 'Oh Jihoon oppa, it's okay! I forgive you!', huh?”

Unfortunately for Jihoon, things hadn't been going so well with Bee since last night when she caught him in her front yard bushes after Seokmin dropped her off. Unlike Choyoung, apparently she had known he had been following them the entire time. Many of the first year and second year students saw the two, earning them several confused glances since they would have never expected the two to be on such close terms that Jihoon would put his arm around her. Jihoon wasn't aware of this, of course. Bee rolled her eyes and continued to ignore him even when they got out to the courtyard.

“Bee, I'm sorry, okay?” he whined, “I was only doing it because Seokmin's bad news!”

Clicking his tongue, Jihoon continued begging for forgiveness. Why couldn't she just be grateful that he saved her from a player like Lee Seokmin? She had no idea what the sneaky boy was capable of, and honestly, she should be thanking him for being there to watch over their date! If he hadn't, who knows what would have happened to Bee? Jihoon might have never seen her again if he had let her go like that! Slipping into the seat next to her when she sat down at a courtyard table, he poked her arm, “Bee are you even listening to me?”

“Why are you even getting so worked up over this?” Bee's last thread of patience snapped, “It's not like you would take me out on a date if I said 'no' to Seokmin!”

“Yeah, but Seokmin has a bad reputation with girls, okay? He's bad news!” Jihoon argued, making her roll her eyes again and turn back to her English homework.

Angrily tearing out a piece of paper from her theme booklet, she cut him off before he got to say something else, “It was bad news for me to start liking you,”

For the past few days, Jihoon had just been dogging her nonstop. She desperately wanted to get over Jihoon and find someone else since she was just so tired of waiting. She still liked him, but she figured that she might as well date someone else in the meantime so she would have a bigger chance of getting married in the future. Besides, Seokmin didn't seem like a bad guy at all. Sure he bounced around girls and dumped them when he got tired of them, but he was nice and treated her nicely. Why couldn't she like him?

Jihoon slid his hands off her shoulders and turned his back to her. There was no use in changing her mind. He had heard from many people before that it was rare for Bee to change her mind once she made a decision. Maybe she even made brash decisions when it came to her feelings. In this case, it seemed like she really did like Seokmin. It bothered him a lot. But then again, it was also her choice to like him, so maybe she wasn't completely out of her mind. He placed his hands on his knees and looked down at the ground from between his legs, “I don't want you to stop liking me,”

“Why? Because that's the only way to stop me from dating that 'bad boy'?” Bee mocked him.

She figured it was just another one of his pathetic tricks he was playing on her. There was no way he would start liking her, especially since he literally told her that she wasn't his type. She waited for his answer while she finished her English worksheet. Biting his bottom lip, Jihoon anticipated another one of her famous blows to the head with what he was going to say next, “I'm jealous, okay?”

Jealousy. Gripping her pen, Bee continued to write and stayed silent. She had no idea what to say. She wasn't even sure if Jihoon was messing with her or if he was serious. The tone in his voice sounded serious, but then again, he was a pretty good actor too. Her muscles tensed when Jihoon stood up from beside her, and sighed. He sounded like he was mad, and she really wasn't in the mood to have a mad Jihoon yell at her. Not when she was studying for finals. Bee avoided his gaze by all means when he placed his hands on the table, leaning over.

“Call me selfish, or whatever, but I don't want you to like Seokmin,” Jihoon bore his eyes into the top of her head, knowing that he could feel his stare on her, “You're the only girl that's ever liked me even when I was complete jerk to you. I don't know if you're aware of this, but other than Soonyoung and Choyoung, you're the only other person I consider to be my friend. I'm worried that if you start liking Seokmin, you'll forget about me,”

Still no answer.

“Fine. I understand,” he sighed, straightening up and snatching his backpack from the ground. His heart ached for some reason. It didn't even feel like the kind of pain you would get from a sad drama or whatever. It was that kind of pain you got when you watched someone you really love getting married to someone that wasn't even you. What made him more confused was that he didn't love Bee. He just thought of her as a really good friend. His voice cracked when she spoke, “And to think I literally just poured out my heart to you,”

“You're such an idiot,”

Raising an eyebrow, Jihoon turned around and saw Bee's shoulders bobbing up and down as she giggled. What the hell was she laughing at him for? This mad him mad. Really Mad. Shooting up from her seat, she ran over to Jihoon and pulled him into a tight hug. This caught him by surprise. His arms lay limp next to his sides, unsure if he was supposed to hug her back of just awkwardly stand there. Bee smiled up at him, “Did you really think that I'm not going to forgive you? Geez bro, I really thought that you would have caught on!”

“You're terrible, you know that?” Jihoon shoved her off him, dusting himself off with a frown on his face, “And stop giggling, that wasn't funny,”

“Of course it wasn't funny! I'm just really happy that I mean a lot to the love of my life!” Bee clutched a hand to her heart, “You even said you were jealous that I was starting to like someone! Hey, does that mean that you like me too?”

Jihoon rolled his eyes, and lightly flicked her on the head, making her wrinkle her nose at his juvenile actions. She was such a snitch. How could she play her crush like that? That was downright uncool. Adjusting the straps of his backpack, he ignored her last comment and started walking towards the theater building for play practice. He didn't want to waste precious free time on someone who was just going to about his real feelings. Quickly gathering her things, Bee rushed back to him and continued to pester him about whether he liked her back of not.

“Me liking you as a friend and me liking you as a girl are two different things,” Jihoon grumbled, “And even if I was starting to like you as a girl, that heartless trick now has you back at Square One,”


“Yo bro, you've got it in for her bad,” Soonyoung said.

Jihoon, Soonyoung, and Choyoung were all working on their homework backstage while the others were practicing their scenes. Right now it was Chan practicing the chase scene with Dongjin, their Cogsworth. Anyway, Jihoon had just finished explaining to the other two what went down between Bee and him earlier. Since Bee wasn't part of the play cast, she decided to go to Jihoon's mom's shop to check up on how the costumes were coming along. She had been helping Mrs. Lee with the costume design for the past few months, and thanks to Jihoon's mom, Bee knew a lot more about Jihoon than she ever had before.

“I do not like Bee,” Jihoon stated, “She's not my type,”

And even Bee knew that. He wasn't just going to change his ideal type just because he was starting to like someone. Besides, what he wanted was something that Bee wasn't. A mature, sensible, and beautiful woman. Shrugging her shoulders, Choyoung tapped the end of her pencil on her chin and smiled up at Soonyoung, “You never know, Jihoon. I wasn't Soonyoung's ideal type either. He liked model type girls, and I'm far from that,”

“You're not-” Soonyoung started but was quickly interrupted by Jihoon waving his hand in his face, “Okay, okay, I get it. Preferences can change, I know that. No need to get cheesy in front of me!”

Ugh. Happy couples. How did they do it? What made him more puzzled was how Soonyoung and Choyoung weren't fighting even though in the usual romance dramas, they wouldn't even be talking by now. That or the guy would be overreacting letting the second guy swoop in and woo the girl. But that didn't seem to be the case. He watched Soonyoung guide Choyoung through an Algebra problem that they had been working on for the past five minutes, but Choyoung just wasn't getting it. It was interesting to see that Soonyoung didn't show any sign of being frustrated, and he just kept showing her how to solve it without any complaints.

“Oh yeah, I forgot,” Choyoung looked up from the paper to Soonyoung and pointed to , “What did the dentist say?”

Apparently, before Soonyoung and her started talking again, he had a dentist appointment. Putting his pencil down, Soonyoung smiled brightly, making sure his green and blue bands were showing, “I'm getting them off before graduation pictures next school year!”

“Oh yeah, I forgot you were graduating next year,” her face fell at the mention of his graduation pictures.

Next year was going to be his last year at Kyonggi and then after that, it was off to college. As for her, she was going to have to start taking tests for college starting next year. It wasn't often that her and Soonyoung talked about college or their future, but now that the end of the school year was approaching, it was becoming a more popular topic among the students. And rumor had it that there were going to be many upperclassmen transfers coming in next school year. Soonyoung sensed that she was starting to feel a little bit downcast and started putting the books away, “I think that's enough studying for today.

“So what college are you thinking of going to?” Jihoon asked, “My dad wants me to study abroad in America but I kind of just want to study biology at our national university,”

Soonyoung shrugged, “I don't know. I never really thought about it. My parents seem to be okay with whatever I choose really. I could be studying abroad in Europe for all they care. As long as I'm in college, I'm sure they don't have a problem,”

“But you're not going to study abroad in Europe, right?” Choyoung wondered, afraid that she wouldn't see Soonyoung again until her college days were over. Soonyoung raised an eyebrow at her with a sly smirk on his face. Pulling at her shirt collar, Choyoung stammered, “I mean, I don't think it's a bad thing, I'm just wondering if that was an option, you know?”

“Can't stay away from me, can you?” Soonyoung teased, making Jihoon hide his head under the table and pretend to gag.

Seriously. Those two really didn't need to flirt and be cute with each other in front of him. Before Jihoon got to throw another insult their way, Chan bounded down the stairs after wrapping up his scene and jabbed a thumb over his shoulder, signaling to Jihoon that it was his turn to practice next. Soonyoung and Choyoung immediately scooted away from each other, not to look like they were being intimate or anything, and looked down at the open textbooks in front of them, the ones that Soonyoung didn't put away anyway.

Chan replaced Jihoon in the seat across the table from Soonyoung and Choyoung, smiling. He was in an incredibly happy mood today since everything in his scene was going perfectly. On top of that, he had aced his math quiz so what wasn't to be happy about? Pulling out his own textbooks to study from, Chan flipped open to the chapter he was last studying and looked up at Choyoung, “Oh yeah that's right! I almost forgot. Are we still on for tomorrow evening?”

Soonyoung's ears perked up at the mention of 'tomorrow evening'. Surely they weren't going out on a second date already! Let alone, a second date in the middle of the week! His eyes widened in shock when Choyoung eagerly nodded, “Yep! My dad said it was totally okay with him as long as we didn't make too much noise in my room,”

Gripping the edge of the table, Soonyoung stopped himself from falling over. That sentence that he had just heard sounded too suggestive for his taste. Better yet, why the heck was Chan going over to her house? It was too absurd to believe that they were going to do 'it' but since they were merely just fifteen year old kids, it was highly unlikely that they would do that. Besides, Choyoung's dad specfically gave him strict rules that he had to keep his treasures in place on prom night. Chan definitely wasn't going to be an exception to that. Clapping her hands together, Choyoung added, “And my mom promised that she would stay away from the room and let us have our privacy, but I don't trust her so we might as well lock the door while we're at it,”

As if the previous two comments weren't surprising enough, she had to add that in too. Soonyoung could barely even breathe thinking about what exactly they were going to do in her room that her parents weren't going to be supervising and was so secretive that they had to lock the door too. Curiosity was eating away at his insides. Even remembering that Choyoung told him that she wasn't going to be kissing either of them wasn't reassuring enough. She only said that they weren't allowed to get near her lip, she didn't say anything about anywhere else though. Stupid teenage boy hormones were going to be the death of him one day.

Chan caught sight of Soonyoung slightly pounding at his chest, trying to get rid of the pain building up there. Turning back to Choyoung, he flashed a rather charming smile, “Great! And don't worry, I'll bring the stuff you wanted me to bring too,”