Immune System Failure

Hey There, Brace Face!

miranda's notes : hello everyone! thank you all for your feedback! now, i'm still not sure if i will be making a sequel but keep your eyes and ears open just in case i get the feels to continue hahaha. i still have many stories to focus on ouo anyway this will be the last update until tuesday. i'm not very sure how my updating will go during next week, but i will try my best c: anywho i really do hope my sister updated this on time as she is the one who is posting this updated for me. please tell me if she didn't ;;

Dajia's Notes: Ming jiejie has no trust in me huhuhu


Oh my goodness what happened to you two?” Mrs. Kwon rushed to cover the two rain soiled teens with a large white towel when Mr. Kwon opened the front door, “What were you doing, dancing in the rain?”

Soonyoung shot a worried glance at Choyoung who in returned looked at him with panic stricken eyes. Neither of them had come up with an excuse as to why they were dripping wet and how they were planning on eating out together. Soonyoung made a gesture with his eyes as if her were saying, 'Say something, will you?' and Choyoung stubbornly countered it by shaking her head. Mrs. Kwon noticed this and fought back the smile that was threatening to fly onto her face. She had been suffering from shipping withdrawals that she had almost forgotten how it was like to see her son all tongue-tied.

Not realizing that they were looking at each other for such a long time, Mrs. Kwon started giggling and covered Soonyoung's face with the towel to dry off his face to break their eye contact, “Kids nowadays will do so many rebellious things in the name of romance so I'm not surprised that a boy your age will be sneaking behind his mom's back,”

Mom, you're so weird! It's not like that!” Soonyoung struggled to say as she continued attacking his face. Choyoung couldn't help but laugh at the mother-son bonding unfolding in front of her eyes – Mrs. Kwon forcing him to bend over so she could reach his head, while Soonyoung continued to whine, “Choyoung and I were just studying at the library and we got caught up in the rain!”

Oh that's what they always say!” Mrs. Kwon playfully winked at Choyoung, making her blush and hide her face behind the other end of the towel pretending to dry herself off, “He gets his lame excuses from his father!”

Once she finally gave up on Soonyoung and left him to dry by himself, Mrs. Kwon grabbed a light pink towel from the top shelf in the storage closet and started drying off Choyoung; this time a lot gentler since Choyoung wasn't making a fuss about getting dried off. After helping Choyoung out of her blazer, Soonyoung peeled his own blazer off, wrinkling his nose at how heavy it was on his body. Throwing both the jackets down the laundry chute, Soonyoung turned back to Choyoung and his mom. He caught Choyoung looking at him with a desperate look on her face, begging him to help her. She looked so helpless against his super obsessive mom.

Chuckling, he walked over to Mrs. Kwon and placed his hands on her shoulders, moving her to the side, “Alright mom, I think Choyoung's okay now. You can stop,”

Are you sure Choyoung?” she looked at Choyoung with a worried look on her face. She knew how girls were, always holding back in front of other people's parents. She was like that too when she was younger. When Choyoung nodded, she sighed, still not satisfied with the teen's answer, “Alright then I guess I'll just run a bath for you two...”

Soonyoung raised an eyebrow up at his mom, finding what she had naively said to be a bit suggestive. His eyes wandered off to Choyoung who was covering her face once again to hide her growing pink face. Choyoung's brought her head up, slowly making contact with Soonyoung's eyes and immediately looked down shyly. Scoffing, Soonyoung shook his head at how immature Choyoung was being. She was thinking bad thoughts as well. Mrs. Kwon once again noticed the looks they were giving each other and realized what was wrong with her previous statement, “I mean, for both of you! No wait - what I meant to say was one for each of you!”

It's okay mom, we get it,” Soonyoung reassured the stumbling woman, “I'll go in your guys' bathroom. And while I'm at it, I'll grab something from your closet to lend to Choyoung. I'll get dad to drop it off in the main bathroom,”

When Mrs. Kwon was sure that Soonyoung was out of hearing range once he headed up the stairs with his dad following behind him, Mrs. Kwon whipped around to face Choyoung with her hands clasped together tightly against her chest. There was a rather large smile on her face that made her look a little bit like Joker without the makeup; Choyoung found this a bit creepy. Squealing, Mrs. Kwon quickly placed her palms on either side of the young girl's face and squished her cheeks together, “You and Soonyoung are so cute, I'm getting cavities just by watching you two!”

Mrs. Kwon, it's not like that really!” Choyoung bowed her head, a bit embarrassed that Mrs. Kwon was starting to catch on to her admiration for the older boy, “Soonyoung and I really did lose track of time when we were studying!”

Well, I guess I can't expect that bump on the log to take initiative,” Mrs. Kwon sighed, bringing her eyes down to the shoe rack.

If there was something she really hated about Soonyoung was that his courting style was just like her husband's: boring, lame, and very sweet. Sure, Mr. Kwon was a kind gentleman but he had no bite! No flavor! If he hadn't won her over with his sweetheart personality, she probably would have gotten married to her other suitor. Unfortunately for Choyoung, Soonyoung had inherited his father's personality so it was like him to just sit back quietly. Mrs. Kwon was zoned out for a few seconds, until her head flew back up with the familiar enthusiastic grin on her face; not the creepy one, “Well, let's go then! If we wait any longer, you'll catch a cold and we don't want that!”

Choyoung!” Soonyoung yelled from the top of the stairs, “There's a towel, a set of clothes, and whatever else you females need on the sink. If you need anything else, then ask mom!”

Giggling, Mrs. Kwon nudged Choyoung in the side with her elbow, “See? There's obviously something you're not telling me. Regular boys would never do that for girls,”


Soonyoung, you're sick,” Choyoung pressed the back of her hand against his forehead while she lifted his bangs up with her other hand.

The both of them were sitting on his bed; Choyoung standing up on her knees while Soonyoung had his back against the wall next to her. Soonyoung was actually hesitant in letting her get on his bed considering that she didn't allow either Chan or him on hers, but since she insisted that he didn't look well, he allowed her on. The both of them were wearing a set of winter pajamas Mr. Kwon had lent Soonyoung to wear. Little did Sonyoung know that his dad had slipped them a pair of couple pajamas his parents used when they were first married. The white pants had solid Mickey Mouse heads scattered all over; Minnie for Choyoung's. The shirts had different colored sleeves, pink and blue, and in the white area they head a kissing Minnie and Mickey.

What do you expect? I was waiting for you!” Soonyoung snapped back, and then pouting after he did. He was still disappointed that Choyoung didn't show up on time, but he could understand because she had to finish up something. He wasn't expecting for Choyoung to answer back to him because she just sat back on her knees and twiddled with her fingers. She was just like a little kid who was getting scolded. Sighing, he sniffled and rest his head back against the wall, “But I guess it wasn't your fault. That happened with Jihoon's laptop last year so I understand,”

Do you really?” Choyoung's ears perked up, “Thank you, Soonyoung!”

Shrugging it off, Soonyoung weakly smiled at her before looking back ahead of him. He was completely exhausted from having waited, walked back, and from just finals stress in general. His entire body was on fire, and since it was summer, it was more uncomfortable than ever. Next to him, Choyoung shifted from sitting on her knees to sitting cross legged. She thought about what she had told him earlier about where her watch was and felt guilt wash over her. Soonyoung sighed once again and glanced down at the watch on his wrist, “You said put your watch away when you went back home right?”

What? I- Oh yeah. That's right,” Choyoung lied, pulled at the ends of her sleeves nervously, “I didn't want it to get wet so I put it away,”

Biting her lip, she busied herself with looking outside his bedroom window at the street below. To keep Soonyoung from knowing where her watch was, she fabricated a story that when she left school, she stopped by her house to take off her watch so it wouldn't get water damaged. Choyoung felt terrible for having lied to him like that, but she didn't want him to get any more irritated. He had been shouldering a lot of stress from exams lately, and not to mention that he was no sick, so she didn't want to trouble him again. Soonyoung was constantly worrying about her, and Choyoung felt bad for having put him through a whole obstacle course ever since he met her. In fact, her life was pretty simple before she met him so why only now did things start getting thrown off course?

That's good,” he said, “Just make sure you're wearing it again tomorrow, okay?”

Don't worry, I will,” Choyoung slowly answered.

Her eyes wandered about his room; it was like it had always been. Clean and organized, just like she remembered it last when she first stayed in his room. The only thing different was their prom picture sitting on his bedside table, the same place she kept her picture frame with the copy he gave her. It was unbelievable at how many times she had been in his room. In fact, he had always brought her into his house when she needed a place to stay for the night. His family never let her go out at night fearing that it wasn't safe for a young girl to be walking alone so it was often that they let her stay over. Even during the school week. Bringing her attention to Soonyoung, she winced when she caught him already looking at her. His lids were half closed, obviously weary.

As if he read her mind, he said, “Don't worry, you're not bothering us,”

Blinking once, Choyoung tilted her head, wondering what he was talking about. It completely slipped her mind that she was thinking about him letting her stay over. Straightening up in his position, Soonyoung scooted over so he could get closer to where Choyoung was sitting. Reaching over to take Choyoung's hand in his, the corners of his mouth were slowly lifted into a tired smile. Choyoung could feel her neck getting warm around the collar as her heart started to beat faster. She was kind of glad that her watch wasn't with her at the time to start making beeping noises. Soonyoung squeezed her hand, “I like it when you stay over. It reminds me of when I first started liking you,”

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Choyoung bit her lip as she turned her head, fighting the blush making it's way on her face. Damn it all, Soonyoung was doing it again. That thing she hated so much, yet loved to experience. His sweet smile – full of warmth, gentleness, and most importantly genuine love. The knot in her chest tightened when she gulped, making it harder for her to calm down. Her heart was fluttering high in the skies and he had barely even done anything. All he did was say what he liked about when she slept over...but why was it such a big deal?

Should we go to sleep now?” Soonyoung calmly asked, snapping Choyoung out of her thoughts.

Chuckling when he saw her reaction, he pushed himself off the wall and crawled over on all fours to the wall side of the bed. He figured that she was going to have a civil war inside her head wondering where she would sleep. Knowing her though, she would probably come up with a stupid answer. She always did. As he expected, Choyoung raised an eyebrow up at him when he slipped underneath the covers and draped an arm over his eyes. She placed a hand on his free arm, lightly shaking it, “Hey, Soonyoung. What about me?”

Like we always do. Sleep with me. Unless you'd rather sleep on the floor then that's fine with me,” he managed to say with his scratchy throat. Of course, this was in his rather sarcastic voice that would always tick others off. Peeking from underneath his arm, he almost started laughing when he saw Choyoung lightly slapping the sides of her face trying to get herself together. Choyoung saw him watching her, and immediately she covered his face with a pillow, “You're such a jerk!”

Says the one who was completely red just a few seconds ago,” Soonyoung playfully stuck his tongue out at her once he moved the pillow, earning him this time a faceful of bed sheets, “I'm joking!”

Not taking any chances, Choyoung got up from his bed with a huff and proceeded to pull out the spare pull-out bed from the side. She had never really used that bed since her first day before, but Mrs. Kwon believed that Choyoung slept on that bed whenever she came by so she kept the sheets on. Choyoung found the bed set really cute: the sheets were cream with little hearts placed in every which way, and the comforter had a light pink underside with a darker shade of pink on top. There was a little bear character in the front as well. It was a completely different style from Soonyoung's solid color blocked set considering of three shades of blue; a dark shade, a medium shade, and then a light shade. But like hers, it had it's own charm to it. It was simple and comforting, much like Soonyoung.

Once Choyoung dimmed the lights so that it wasn't too bright for Soonyoung, but not too dark for her, she climbed back into the smaller bed and snuggled in the welcoming warmth. A smile played on her lips as she closed her eyes. The comforter was almost wrapped around her by the time she looked over her shoulder at Soonyoung to wish him goodnight, “Good night, Soonyoung. Good luck on your test tomorrow,”

G'night, Choyoung,” Soonyoung mumbled from underneath his arm. He sniffled once again, trying to breathe in from his nose. He had taken Advil PM earlier, and now that the lights were off, he was starting to feel the effect,“I'm not saying you have to, but if you get cold during the night, just wake me up. Or you're welcome to just climb in next to me,”


Are you sure you're going to be alright?” Mrs. Kwon asked Soonyoung for the millionth time as she pulled up by the school gates to drop him off, “I could contact the school and tell them that you're not feeling well,”

No I'm fine I can-” Soonyoung started to say but he ended up in a horrible coughing fit that hurt his throat the harder he coughed. God damn it.

Eyebrows knit together, Mrs. Kwon reached over to feel just how hot he was, and even a few a few centimeters away, she could already feel the heat radiating off his face. Soonyoung pulled away quickly, so she wouldn't freak out and start driving him home. There was no way he could miss his last two exams. He couldn't repeat the grade! But his head was pounding so hard, that it hurt to lift his head up from the headrest. What's more was that he couldn't breathe from his clogged nose, but his mouth had completely gone dry.

Choyoung had gotten up earlier that morning to catch a ride with his dad to get to school early; for what reason, Soonyoung had no idea. She had no reason to especially since she had a good hour and a half before she had to go upstairs for the Regular Japanese Set. But maybe it was because she wanted to go study last minute with her friends or something. Who knew? Soonyoung on the other hand was cutting it close with only 20 minutes before the start of the Japanese Pilot Set. He had overslept and on top of that, he was grumpy and wasn't feeling that great.

I'll call dad to tell him to pick you up later, okay?” Mrs. Kwon told him as he was sliding out of the car, “There's no way I'm allowing you to drive yourself home in your state,”

Nodding, Soonyoung waved bye to his mom and headed for the gates. His eyes were still dropping, and his usually strong stride was now bogged down to a groggy one. He earned a few looks from his classmates, and some even stopped by to ask him if he was okay. Wonwoo thought it was funny to ask if Soonyoung went skinny dipping last night, only to have himself punched in the arm – and it wasn't lightly this time. The only person that Soonyoung could actually tolerate was Junhui, who offered him a little bottle of White Flower medicine. Junhui told him to just rub a little on his chest and hold the bottle under his nose and he should feel better in no time.

Once entering the courtyard, Soonyoung noticed that Choyoung wasn't sitting at any of the tables which he found quite odd. Neither Bee nor Minji, were there. He scanned the area once again, and found Minji and Hansol huddled together watching something on their laptops. Not even Jihoon was there to greet him with annoying ghetto Engrish. It wasn't long before Soonyoung spotted Chan sitting off at one of the side tables with his nose buried in his Japanese 1 textbook. Chan was in the Japanese Pilot Set with the other first year students. After a long debate in his head, Soonyoung decided that if he didn't want to look like a loser, he should just sit with Chan. It wouldn't hurt anyway.

Hey, mind if I sit here?” Soonyoung asked the moment he arrived at Chan's table, catching the attention of the younger boy who had been mumbling his notes under his breath for the past hour.

Looking up from his textbook, Chan blinked once at Soonyoung. Soonyoung stood there, still waiting for an answer. He wasn't sure whether he had been studying to the point that he was going crazy, or if Soonyoung was actually eating his pride for once and legitimately asking to sit with Chan. After a few minutes of gawking at the older boy, Chan finally scooted down the bench, throwing his backpack on the table to make room for Soonyoung despite him having his notes sprawled all over the table. Sliding into the spot Chan made for him, Soonyoung placed his backpack on the floor and took out his own textbook to squeeze in some last minute studying.

So we're almost done, huh hyung?” Chan attempted to make some small talk to make things less awkward. When Soonyoung didn't answer, he figured that it was better to just shut up altogether so he didn't look stupid. He noticed that Soonyoung was a lot paler than usual, “What happened to you? You didn't get enough sleep or something?”

Something like that,” Soonyoung bluntly answered, voice cracking. What Bee and Minji had failed to tell Soonyoung was that Chan was also part of the reason why Choyoung had arrived late.

The two quickly became silent again and again, no matter how many times Chan tried to strike up a conversation. It didn't seem like his senior was in the mood so he decided to just let the grumpy people be grumpy. It wasn't going to affect him anyway if other people were in a bad mood. They were just setting themselves up for disaster. Every once in a while, Chan asked a question about Japanese to Soonyoung, taking advantage of the older boy since he was fluent in the language. It wasn't until about fifteen minutes of broken speaking that Chan got up and excused himself to go to the bathroom.

When he left, Soonyoung slipped his books back inside his backpack so he could lay his throbbing head on the table. It wasn't anything compared to his pillow, but it was the closest thing he had so far. He felt rather relieved to have his head laying down again; if he had held it up any longer, his neck would have given out and just dropped his head down as is. At first, Soonyoung wasn't staring at anything in particular. Or at least, he thought he didn't. It wasn't until his eyes fixed on a familiar band in Chan's backpack that he started paying attention to his surroundings.

Wait a minute, is that...?” Soonyoung lifted his head up from the table, grabbing Chan's backpack and snatching up the item that had caught his eye.

There was no mistaking what it was. He was sure of it. But Soonyoung had to make sure he wasn't jumping to conclusions again without seeing it in it's entirety. Maybe he was mistaking it for something like a bookmark or something. Pulling it out, his heart almost stopped. If he hadn't been strong mentally, he would have probably had a heart attack when he realized what it was. His eyes were now completely wide as he turned it around in his hands, “This can't possibly be Choyoung's...”

What are you doing with my bag?”