HoonMoon

Hey There, Brace Face!

“Jihoon, I want to go somewhere,”

Bee still sat in the backseat of his car, staring out the window. A sad expression was on her face as he drove by the numerous couples holding hands out on the sidewalk. If anything, Jihoon wasn’t into this whole White Day idea. He liked helping people prepare for it, but it wasn’t something he enjoyed participating in. White Day, to him, tied him down to one girl only. He didn’t roll like that. Flirting with and messing around with girls were more fun in his opinion. And he didn’t have to worry about breaking up with them if something goes wrong. They can just slap him and go. Jihoon looked at her from the rearview mirror, “But you and I aren’t dating and I don’t like you,”

“I know that,” Bee muttered, “But since we’re together anyway, we might as well go someplace,”

“I still think you’re asking me to take you out on a date,” Jihoon argued. He did not want to spend the next few hours with his best friend’s girlfriend’s annoying best friend. Did that even make sense? Even though he wasn’t the one to give in easily, he decided to be a proper gentleman for one day. One day only. It was his life’s goal to make every girl he met happy, and he couldn’t just disregard Bee just because he didn’t like her. Running his fingers through his hair with his free hand, Jihoon suddenly switched lanes, “Alright fine. You know what, we’ll go somewhere. Have you ever been to I’Park Mall?”

“No, I can’t say that I have,”

“Great, then that’s where we’re going,” holding up his wallet, he waved it in front of her face, And for the record, I’m not going to buy you anything,”

“You , you know that?”

Jihoon smirked, “Thanks, girl. I try,”

They pulled into the parking lot of the mall shortly, and to Jihoon’s disgust, there were more couples than he had seen around on the street. Young couples, old couples, super touchy couples, awkward couples, cheating couples – it made him sick to the stomach. Bee on the other hand didn’t seem to mind. She was just elated that she was spending a few hours with Jihoon. Besides, at least he was nice enough to try with her. Grabbing him by the elbow, she enthusiastically dragged him into the bustling mall, “Come on, Jihoon! Time’s a wasting!”

dropped upon entering the large complex; bright lights, an influx of stores, and most importantly, red and pink everywhere! Ribbons hung from the walls, streamers along the railings, paper hearts and decals pasted on windows, vendors selling heart shaped balloons, I’Park really didn’t hold back on decorations! A senior couple, faces wrinkled with age, who were halfway out of the door, handed the matching balloons they were holding to Jihoon and Bee with light smiles on their faces. They kindly thanked the two and stared at the White Day products in their hands; Jihoon was speechless while Bee was blushing like mad.

“Aww, they were so cute,” Bee gestured to the previous couple who were now holding each other’s hand as the slowly waddled across the truculent cars who were looking for parking spots. The corners of Jihoon’s mouth tugged upwards, he had to admit, they were sweet. Taking the balloon from Bee’s hand, he held it for her as she walked in front of him, peering through the store windows wondering what they had to offer. This was her first time at I’Park and she wanted to get something nice and pretty for herself and Choyoung. Her best friend had never been there either. Maybe she would get something for Choyoung’s birthday that was coming up in a few days. She would like that.

“See anything you like?” Jihoon stuffed his hands in his jacket pockets. Bee had her face squished up against the glass, looking at a pink and white handbag. Maybe he would buy her one thing, but that was it. One thing. He would buy her one thing and it was going to be a small thing. Looking up at him, she shook her head and moved on to the next window, “No, not yet,”

By the time it was 6:00, Jihoon was carrying at least three bags from different stores; one on one arm and two on the other. Every single time Bee would enter a store he would stay outside and set the bags down. There was no way he was going to walk around with bags hitting his ankles. It was bad enough that he was short, but the bags were bearing down on him. He rubbed his temples, exhausted in doing nothing, when Bee came out of a clothing store carrying another bag, “Enjoying yourself aren’t you?”

“I am actually,” Bee chirped, slipping the bag around her wrist. She had finally found the perfect gift for Choyoung’s birthday. If there was one thing her best friend loved, it was hair accessories. Fortunately for her, the store was loaded with different hair trinkets, pins, and ties that were perfect for her! Jihoon held his hand out, asking for it so he could hold the bag for her. Bee shook her head, “No, it’s fine. I don’t want to burden you with another bag,”

Honestly, it was Jihoon who was taking the initiative to hold her bags. She told him that she could carry them by herself but he insisted. Maybe there was a little bit of a gentleman in him. The other bags on the floor held presents for other people. There were many parties and birthdays she had to celebrate in the upcoming months and she had a large amount of money saved up in her junior card. She figured she would splurge a bit for her friends. They were nice to her after all.

To her surprise, Jihoon pulled out a small box from his pocket. It was small, covered with light pink wrapping paper with glitter and topped with a poorly tied red bow. Bee couldn’t believe what she was seeing. Did he really get her something? Jihoon turned away, looking over the glass divider at the floor below him, but kept his hand out, “Here, I figured that I should buy you something at least. I tried my hand at wrapping it but I’m a boy so yeah. Sorry about that,”

“No, that’s fine! I don’t mind,” Bee happily accepted the gift and tugged at the tape along the sides. Jihoon peered over his shoulder at the younger girl, silently hoping that she wouldn’t laugh at what he had bought her. The lady at the counter had told him that girls liked that kind of thing and suggested it to him. Bee neatly folded up the wrapping paper before putting it in her skirt pocket, “If it makes you feel better, I can’t wrap presents either. I just buy gift bags and hope for the best, you know?”

“Yeah,” Jihoon’s eyes never left her hands as she lifted the lid.

Her heart fluttered when she saw what he had bought her. It was geometrical drop necklace with a magenta crystal emblem. The charm hung from a thin light gold chain that blended in with her skin tone to make it look like the necklace was literally floating. She stared at it, taking in the beautiful craftsmanship. But if there was something that Bee had a bad habit of doing, it was keeping a blank face when being given something. Jihoon palms began to sweat; he didn’t know if her reaction was a positive or a negative. She was kind of just looking at it and he was afraid that she didn’t like it. Embarrassed, Jihoon rubbed the back of his head, “If you don’t like it, I can always take it back and –“

“No, I like it!” Bee grinned at him, pulling the necklace out from the box as she held it up in the light to admire it in a different angle, “Thanks Jihoon,”

For the first time in his life, he found himself unable to come back with a rude or even slightly sassy comment. Tongue tied, he was. A light dusting of pink swept across his cheeks when Bee ran up to him and hugged him. Jihoon’s arms were spread outwards, unsure whether or not he should hug her back. He didn’t want to give her the wrong message that he liked her or anything, because he really didn’t. And if he were to lead her on, that would make him a bad person. Bee pulled away, still smiling, the necklace hanging loosely around her neck, “So should we keep going?”

Jihoon opened his mouth to answer her but was interrupted by a voice similar to that of his soccer team captain from a distance, “Moon Bi! Jihoon!”

The two looked to their right and saw Seokmin charging at them with various bags flying behind him. Jihoon wondered how the contents of the bag weren’t spilling out everywhere. Seokmin skidded to a stop in front of them and pulled Jihoon and Bee into a bear hug, “I didn’t expect to see you here! What are you guys doing here?”

“We were um…” Jihoon had no idea what to say. He didn’t want Seokmin to think they were dating or anything, but Bee suddenly answered for him, “I asked Soonyoung oppa earlier if he could drive me here because I had to pick up something, but he couldn’t so Jihoon oppa was nice enough to,”

“Oh is that it?” Seokmin pulled away, blinking, “I thought you guys were dating or something, sorry about that,”

Jihoon let go of his breath that he was holding. Seokmin was the kind of guy to listen to what other people had to say and believe them. He didn’t bother dogging other people for answers because he didn’t see the point in peer pressure. Seokmin was a light hearted guy and would listen to everyone’s opinion. That’s why had had been their team’s soccer captain since freshman year. Seokmin peered over his shoulder, “Anyway, I’m here on a date with Park Baeji. You know her, right hyung?”

“Baeji? As in cheerleading captain Baeji?” Jihoon asked, his mood suddenly lifting. Even at the very mention of Baeji he would get excited. He started flirting with her back in middle school when he started to realize that the girls were starting to develop – and Baeji was developing real quickly. By the time she entered high school, she was literally everything that a guy wanted. Her long toned legs, curved in the right areas, and sharp features won over the straight figure of their other classmates. He had to give cheerleading credit. He wolf whistled, “Nice catch bro! How’d you get up on her, eh?”

This gained him a glare from the younger girl next to him. Bee lifted her nose high in the air as she turned around. She refused to be insulted in front of her face. Surprisingly, Seokmin just shrugged his shoulders letting them limp, “She asked me if I wanted to go out with her after school so I kind of just went along with it. No biggie,”

“Why? What’s wrong with Baeji?”

“Nothing, it’s just…she’s just not my type, I guess,” Seokmin shrugged his shoulders. Bee excused herself from the conversation since she didn’t want to get all involved with their relationship problems or whatever. She had other people to shop for. The two boys watched her enter another store before resuming their conversation. Seokmin leaned against the divider like Jihoon was doing, “Anyway, how’s your thing going? I’m assuming she’s made you carry her bags too?”

Jihoon chuckled at the handful of bags Seokmin had brought with him. He had about eight. Then again, you wouldn’t expect less from Baeji. She always came it with a different handbag, backpack, or whatever every week. Shaking his head, Jihoon sighed, “Nah, I told her I’d hold her bags while she shopped around. I’m bored actually,”

“I know you might think of this as weird, but do you want to switch dates with me?” Seokmin suggested, a bit eager. Jihoon stared at him in disbelief; surely his captain just hadn’t asked him to leave Bee with him, “Um, I don’t get what you’re trying to say,”

“You know what I mean, man!” Seokmin leaned over and patted Jihoon’s shoulder, “I’ll switch Baeji, my date, with Moon Bi, your date. It’s a win win situation! I get the girl I want and you get the girl you want!”

Jihoon raised an eyebrow, “Hold up, do you like Bee?”

“Yeah, I do actually. She’s cute,”

And in that moment, Jihoon almost gagged. Someone actually liked Bee? The annoying, demanding, whiny Lee Moon Bi? Maybe Seokmin wasn’t thinking right. If anything, he would choose Baeji over Bee any day. Seokmin continued to look at him with that canine toothed smile of his. Jihoon had no idea if Seokmin was being serious or if he was just playing around with him. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing, “You think Bee is cute?”

“Don’t you think so?” Seokmin asked, “She’s like a feistier Choyoung except, we all know that Choyoung and Soonyoung have a thing for each other,”

Once more, Jihoon almost gagged. Did Seokmin just indirectly suggest that he liked Choyoung too? God, Seokmin was such a player. And to think that last week he was simultaneously dating a pair of twins in their grade. Apparently, from what he had heard so far, Seokmin and the two didn’t work out. Seokmin chuckled at his friend’s reaction, “Anyway, since you don’t seem like you’re having a good time, why don’t we switch dates? I mean, it’s not like Baeji’s going to miss me or anything. Besides, you’re practically heads over heels for this girl,”

It was a tempting offer honestly. Jihoon caught sight of her walking out of a makeup store preoccupied with whatever she was doing on her phone. She was probably texting one of her cheer mates or something. Jihoon’s eyes checked her out from a distance: black mini skirt, shirt that cut off at the mid-riff, beach wavy hair – what was not to love? Inside, he was dying to run over there and use a new pic-up line he had just come up with yesterday but something was holding him back. Seokmin peered over his shoulder, “Just say the word, man and she’s all yours,”

“Nah man, I don’t think I can switch with you,” Jihoon shook his head, surprising not only Seokmin but himself as well, “I mean, it’s not like I’m keeping Bee to myself or anything because trust me, that’s not the case. I just don’t think Bee would appreciate it and well, I’m her ride home, Besides, I promised Choyoung and Soonyoung that I’d watch over her,”

“Alright then, I understand,” Seokmin nodded, picking up his bags. He took his sweet time gathering them together again, dreading to go back to the demanding princess. Clutching the bags in his hands, Seokmin did his best to make a gun with his fingers and placed it to his head, “Anyway, I better get going. I think Baeji wanted to go to that dreaded Victoria’s Secret store after this,”

“Ouch, good luck bro,” Jihoon’s nose wrinkled in pity for his friend, “I’ll pray for you,”


“Jihoon, pick up your phone!” Soonyoung hissed; he was on the brink of cursing as he dialed Jihoon’s number once more. He had excused himself from the restaurant table away from his parents and Choyoung. He desperately needed Jihoon to prove to their parents that they weren’t out on a date but were instead hanging out along with Jihoon and Bee. His mom and her mom were obviously sailing their ship forever and always. Even their dads seemed to take a bias towards it. If they kept this up, it was going to be harder for them to keep their semi-relationship on the down low. They had barely made it out of this one. If he hadn't mentioned Jihoon and Bee, his mom would be hounding them with questions. From a few feet away, Choyoung was busy entertaining her parents about how she could ride a bike now, “Hey, do you guys remember that bike that I wanted when I was in fourth grade? Yeah, maybe now we can…”

Shaking his head, Soonyoung smiled when he heard overheard Choyoung bragging about her accomplishments. She was so childish sometimes. Three rings passed and he was about to give up and end the call until he heard Jihoon’s voice on the other end, “Hello?”

“Jihoon! Where the heck have you been? I’ve been calling you for half an hour already!” he yelled into his phone as he walked into the bathroom. He didn’t want his parents to overhear him and think that something was wrong.

“Oh sorry hyung, it’s loud in the mall. I would’ve answered you sooner if I knew,” Jihoon’s voice sounded like he was sincerely apologizing. Soonyoung’s tense muscles loosened knowing that Jihoon didn’t mean to ignore him on purpose. But did did wonder why Jihoon was at the mall. Jihoon spoke again, “What’s wrong?”

“Our parents are here and it’s awkward,” Soonyoung explained, staring at a guy who walked by him to wash his hands at the sink. If there was anything he hated the most, it was being in the bathroom alone with one other person. Turning around so he wasn’t looking at the man, he said, “We told them that we were hanging out with you guys but we got separated. I need you to get over here with Bee as soon as possible!”

“Ah right, I forgot. You still haven’t told them,” Soonyoung heard Jihoon chuckling from the other end and mumbled something followed by a girlish giggle. He figured that Bee and Jihoon may not have separated after they dropped Choyoung off. Jihoon had usually been the receiving end of Soonyoung’s excuses whenever it came to Choyoung but he didn’t mind. It felt good to help out his friend. And honestly, he couldn’t go against his senior either. The younger reassured him, “Alright hyung, we’ll be there. Don’t worry, hold tight,”

Soonyoung ended the call and threw his head back against the wall. Thank the Lord that he finally got in contact with Jihoon. Returning to his seat, he came in when Choyoung was talking about when the school play was. He had to give her credit from keeping them off the topic of dating and relationships. His mom was someone who would pester them to no end about that. Once Choyoung was done, Mr. Kwon cleared his throat, “So Choyoung, Soonyoung, the four of us were wondering if you would like to go camping for the first three days of Spring Break and maybe go to a beach resort or an island for the rest. Does that sound good with you two?”

Choyoung nervously laughed which got a few confused looks from the adults as well as Soonyoung. She had no idea how to swim. To be honest, if you noticed, she doesn’t know how to do a lot of things. She looked at her mom, begging her with her eyes for her mom to save her in this situation. Mrs. Kwan clapped her hands together, “Ah that’s right, Choyoung can’t swim,”

Soonyoung smirked and side-eyed Choyoung who was already throwing a death glare his way. She mouthed, “I will hit you if you laugh,”

“So what’ll it be?” Mr. Kwan asked his daughter. He was actually looking forward to the trip since he hadn’t been out on a proper vacation for a few years. Every year, they would just take a drive to somewhere for a day. And besides, she needed to get her head out of the house. Soonyoung brushed his bangs out of his face, “Yeah, I’ll go. It’ll be fun,”

“I guess it won’t hurt,” Choyoung mumbled, folding the napkin on her lap. Mrs. Kwon and Mrs. Kwan exchanged glances, winking to each other. They believed that because Soonyoung said yes, Choyoung agreed.

“Excuse me, but a Lee Jihoon and Lee Moon Bi are here to see Kwon Soonyoung and Kwan Choyoung,” a waitress came up to their table, and looked at the two teens. Soonyoung almost jumped out of his seat and sang for joy. It was about time they got here, “I’m assuming that’s you two?”

“Oh, tell them to come here and join us!” Mrs. Kwon immediately instructed, starting to scoot further down into the booth to make room for two more. The others followed suit, “The more the merrier!”

Soonyoung smiled at his mom; she was such a kind hearted woman. She was clingy and jumped to conclusions, yes, but he loved her nonetheless. Shortly, Soonyoung could see a familiar round face in the distance followed by a ridiculously shorter girl. He could never understand how there were first years that could possibly be shorter than Jihoon. Pretty much everyone excluding Bee and Choyoung were taller than the 160cm shorty. Smiling, Jihoon and Bee came over and waved to the family. Choyoung noticed that Bee seemed to have a bit more pep in her step while Jihoon looked exhausted. She decided it was better to ask later.

Bee bowed her head as she sat down, knowing that what she was going to say next was going to be a mouthful, “Hello Mrs. Kwon, Mr. Kwon, Mrs. Kwan, Mr. Kwan! How are you?”

“Great thank you,” Mrs. Kwan answered, “Oh right, I wanted to know, are your parents back from America?”

“No not yet. They told me that they’d be back by the start of second year,” Bee said. Her parents had been away on a business trip with their company to arrange international marketing in America. They had been working on a project there for a few months as well, and her dad, being the head architect of the team, had to stay there to help with the construction of the building. She had been staying with her aunt for the meantime. Jihoon curiously looked at Bee but pulled his gaze away.

“How about you ask your parents and your aunt if they’d let you stay with us over Spring Break?” Mrs. Kwon happily suggested, flashing an eye smile to Bee. That seemed to brighten up Bee’s day. Turning to Jihoon, she asked, “And while we’re at it, Jihoon, why don’t you ask your parents if you can go as well?”

“Me? Really? Are you sure it’s okay?” Jihoon’s eyes widened at the family’s generosity. On one hand, he really wanted to go, but on the other hand, he didn’t want to because Bee was going. He didn’t know how he would be able to survive an entire week and a half with the

“Come on, man! It’ll be fun!” Soonyoung leaned back in his chair to look at his junior, “Besides, where else did you plan on going over Spring Break?”

Soonyoung did have a point. His mom had told him that she was going to be busy because all of Spring was wedding season. His dad, a college track coach, was going to be busy training the track team for the final competitions. If he didn’t accept their invitation, he would be pretty much doing nothing at home. That or he would be outside practicing for the upcoming soccer season. He really didn’t want to be in the same room as Choyoung. He once went camping with his parents and he had to sleep in the room next to them alone because each room only housed two people. He knew that if that was the case in the camp grounds they were going to, he was going to get stuck with Bee. Jihoon hesitated in his answer making everyone at the table look at him eagerly. Peer pressure by staring. He hated that.

Mrs. Kwon and Mrs. Kwan were obviously going to put their son and daughter together. He forced a smile onto his face. But really, he dreaded hearing about room arrangements, “I guess I can ask my parents if I can go,”

The mothers squealed delightfully, knowing that now they had two pairs of teens to experiment with, “Yay, it’ll be so much fun!”


author's note : hello everyone! so by popular demand, i tried my best to incorporate a hoonmoon / jibee chapter ( whatever you guys prefer to call it ) without straying too far from my story plan. anyways, i hope you guys enjoyed my mid-finals update. my finals end on friday and i should be back to updating at my normal pace. it's just been hard to write in my spare time because i take every minute i have as an opportunity to study!

to those following toepick! and get connected! i will probably be coming out with updates by tomorrow morning or friday afternoon. it really depends. i know i keep telling you guys when you should expect me to update, and i sincerely apologize for showing you up every time, but final grades are just very important to me at this point in time.

good luck to any of you guys who are taking finals as well! we'll work hard together~