Ew. Stop!

Hey There, Brace Face!

“Hey Choyoung, seems like someone is looking for you,”

Choyoung lifted her head from her comfortable resting position and saw Soonyoung heading over to their lunch table. Immediately, she ducked underneath the table, pulling Bee down with her. She couldn’t believe that Soonyoung wasn’t going to leave her alone. Earlier that morning, her lab partner and seatmate, Lee Chan, had seen them together at her locker and continuously pestered her all three periods about Soonyoung and her ‘relationship.’ Choyoung felt her heart drop when she saw the chair legs across her seat slide out.

“I know you’re under there,”

The two girls exchanged glances and peeked from the edge of the table, not sitting up completely, “Excuse me but um, this is the first year table,”

“Yeah, and I’m a second year student which gives me privileges to first and second year lunch tables,” Soonyoung smirked, “Oh and your friend, Moon Bi, right? Yeah. Why don’t you accompany Jihoon hyung over at our table? He looks a bit lonely,”

Bee shot up from under the table, almost flipping it over with her head, “Can I really?”

“Sure, just tell him Soonyoung oppa sent you," he instructed, emphasizing ‘oppa.’

The younger was gone within seconds, taking the remainder of her lunch with her. Feeling betrayed, Choyoung watched her friend skip over to Soonyoung, now Jihoon’s table. She cursed under her breath. Great, she was all alone to entertain the unwanted guest. She couldn’t believe what she heard Soonyoung say. Oppa. That was such a disgusting title. Just thinking about it made her insides shrivel up like flowers in the winter and die. Now she was annoyed.

Choyoung sat up and glared at the upperclassman, “What do you want?”

All of a sudden, Charismatic Soonyoung was pushed off the cliff and replaced with Little Boy Soonyoung. Choyoung could see his eyebrows knit together through the tiny slits in his bangs. His lips pulled into the same swollen pout from that morning, “Please let me do something for you; I’ll do anything! The guilt is eating me alive!”

He looked like a puppy that had just gotten his tail stepped on. For a second, Choyoung actually wanted to reach over and pet his head as if he were actually an animal. But she held herself together. Rolling her eyes, she glanced over to the clock behind him. 12:20. She still had an hour and ten minutes left with him. Completely ignoring his personal problems about guilt eating him from the inside, Choyoung rested her chin on her left hand, staring into space, “I’m so hungry,”

Soonyoung opened his mouth to tell her that he wasn’t joking until he noticed that there wasn’t anything on the table in front of her. Choyoung couldn’t take eating anything because was still incredibly sore. It even hurt to drink water. Her stomach grumbled and she began mumbling to herself which, according to what Soonyoung could make out, was about braces being stupid. His eyes traveled down to the thermos of soup his mom had prepared for him so he could eat without having to chew. As if he had forgotten about guilt altogether, he held his thermos out, “Do you want to eat some of my lunch? My mom made soup for me but I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to eat it all,”

Choyoung’s eyes grew wide not because of her being able to eat, but this could be the chance of him finally leaving her alone, “Really? So once you do me this favor, you’ll stop bothering me?”

“No, I won’t,” Soonyoung remembered why he was sitting there in the first place, “But really you should eat something. That way you won’t pass out from starvation,”

“I won’t pass out from starvation,”

Soonyoung leaned back in his chair, knowing that the conversation wasn’t going to get her to eat anything. He thought for a while, wondering what he could do to make her eat something in the last twenty minutes of lunch. Looking around for inspiration, his eyes fell on something he knew would definitely change her mind about eating. Thermos in hand, he got up from his seat from across the table to the chair next to Choyoung. She was going to get up before he took her by the wrist and pulled her down, “No, stay here. I know a way to make you eat,”

“And how would that be?”

“Choko meopin han jogak sikyeonoko!” Soonyoung sang in the highest, and cutest voice he could make, “Gosohan uyuhanjaneul gidaryeoyo!”

Realizing what he was singing, Choyoung covered her ears to stop herself from listening to the worst song in history. Kiyeomi. It was a million times more cringe-worthy than ‘oppa’ would ever be. Soonyoung pulled her hands away from her ears and continued to sing the rest of the intro. Choyoung shut her eyes as tight as she could, hoping that she wouldn’t see him actually do the motions for the chorus. Now she was the one shriveling up in the inside.

“Ildeogihagi, ilneun, kiyeomi!” Soonyoung released her wrists to put his pointer fingers in his cheeks. He continued to sing the rest of the song in the same tone; voice cracking only once on ‘sadeohagi.’ He was going to start another round of terror until Choyoung finally broke down and promised to eat. This made Soonyoung grin from ear to ear. He had to admit, he was a bit sad that he had to stop singing because it was funny to watch her reaction.

“Give me the thermos,” Choyoung demanded, frustrated about her defeat.

She wasn’t the type of girl who would call defeat against cutesy actions but Soonyoung was too much. Her brain couldn’t take on all that overdone cuteness. Soonyoung shook his head and picked up the thermos, “Who said you were going to feed yourself?”

No. This was not what she broke down for. She did not just agree to being fed by Soonyoung. This was not what Choyoung signed up for. Like a toddler that didn’t want to eat his mashed peas, she turned her head when he brought the spoon to her face.

“Ahh,” Soonyoung mimicked a parent’s actions when feeding a baby, “Don’t make me do what my mom did to me as a little kid,”

Choyoung pursed her lips, not accepting the idea of being fed by someone else. She wasn’t three years old anymore. She was a strong, independent, Korean woman who had morals and knew how to feed herself! Sooyoung sighed and put the spoon back inside the thermos, “Now young lady, if you’re going to give me a hard time, I’m going to have to open your mouth myself.”

This made Choyoung open to prevent him from doing anything more stupid. Soonyoung carefully placed the spoon in , his mouth open imitating her actions; he made sure that the spoon wouldn’t hit her teeth and make hurt again. The rest of the lunch period went by with Soonyoung baby feeding her half of his lunch and him rushing in the last five minutes to eat his half painlessly.


 

“I thought I already got rid of you after lunch,”

As usual, Choyoung was playing Caboose behind everyone else during warm ups. The rest of her classmates were ahead of her in running laps; Bee was somewhere up in the front with Jihoon. She had been running by herself for the past two laps, until Soonyoung decided to slow down to run with her.

“Why are you so slow?” Soonyoung teased, practically taking one step forward when she took two.

“Why are your legs so long?”

Choyoung stood just a few inches below Soonyoung’s shoulder, and that was when he was slouching and she was standing straight. Alongside having short legs, she had herself to blame. She wasn’t the athletic type but she pretty much neglected every idea of physical activity. I mean, she would get tired after running up the stairs! Totally out of shape. Wanting to get the laps over with, she sped up a little only to have Sooyoung easily catch up. She tried again, slowly approaching the small group of girls ahead of her. Again, Soonyoung was right by her side the entire time. Three laps done, six more to go.

“Hey, run at your own pace. You don’t want to push yourself so hard that you’ll keel over,”

“That’s easy for you to say. You’re on your fifth lap!”

Soonyoung lowered his head and chuckled, recalling the two times he passed her; each time, poking her shoulder to get her attention. The second time around, they had to stop because he got too close and this time, her ponytail got caught in his braces. He had to admit, it was a while since he had actually looked forward to gym. Being partners with Jihoon always because Jihoon wasn’t very enthusiastic about physical education. And now here was Choyoung, someone who tried but just wasn’t very good at it.

“What are you smiling about?” Choyoung asked, slightly panting.

“Nothing,” Soonyoung said, lifting his head back up to look at her, “I was just thinking about how miserable you look right now,”

“Hey!”