Some Kind of Wonderful

Hey There, Brace Face!

“Wow,”

Choyoung slid down to the floor, still weak at the knees. The kiss still lingered on her lips and the aftermath was hitting her hard. Staring up at the orange tinted sky, she exhaled deeply, lowering her heart rate. Soonyoung sat down next to her and looked up too; wondering what she was looking at. A gentle breeze flowed through the garden, rustling the leaves and their hair. Though he stood on top of the world right now, he remembered that this was only for practice. It wasn’t actually a real kiss. It was all just staged intimacy, but it seemed just as real.

“Oh my God, that was an amazing first kiss,” Choyoung thought out loud, forgetting that Soonyoung was with her, “I never would have thought he was a great kisser either,”

“I didn’t expect you to be any better myself,”

Choyoung froze, snapping back to reality. She slowly turned her head to see Soonyoung’s face just inches away from hers. Her still flushed face grew redder and she backed away, “You weren’t supposed to hear that,”

“Well, there’s no point in denying it now,” he smirked, leaning in closer and saying in a playful seductive voice, “Shall we go again?”

She rolled her eyes, and pressed her forehead onto his, looking into his eyes, “Hey, that was the only kiss you’re getting from me,”

“Well see about that later on,” Soonyoung winked, making her crinkle her nose. He loved to and watch her squirm in situations like these. It amused him. He laughed at her reaction, eyes disappearing into littler lines when he smiled.

Soonyoung smiled and sat up straight. He was happy that he gave his first kiss to someone he was comfortable with. Choyoung could say the same. They gathered up their things and made their way out of the garden together. Unlike their previous times, they weren’t so awkward when it came to talking about romance and things like that. It was an open topic for the both of them really. The only thing Soonyoung hated was that she often talked about her crushes and it made him green with envy. Choyoung looked up at Soonyoung as they walked, “That stays between you and me, okay?”

“No problem,” Soonyoung agreed, “But tell me, did I help you at all?”

“Well you’re not Seunggwan so I really have no idea if he’ll be that same,”

“Wait, your partner is Seunggwan?” Soonyoung stopped walking.

Choyoung raised an eyebrow at him, “Did I not mention that?”

“No,” Soonyoung grumbled, somewhat disappointed that she didn’t tell him beforehand who she was going to be kissing. If he had known who she was practicing with, he might not have given in to helping her. Then again, he still would’ve helped her regardless because of his weak conscience.

“Now you know,”

Soonyoung proceeded to walk over to the locker rooms, more concerned than he ever was before. Choyoung was kissing Seunggwan. Which meant they had to practice together. They were going to spend time together. They stayed after school together. Without him to supervise. God knows what would happen if Seunggwan started to like her. Soonyoung wasn’t comfortable with the idea that Choyoung would be kissing someone other than him. It just didn’t look right to him. Kisses were meant to be shared by two people with a close bond and well…they just gave their first kisses to each other. Surprisingly, the two of them continued on as if the kiss didn’t happen. They returned to normal quickly and now conversed as usual.

“So are you going to call me oppa from now on?” Soonyoung tried his luck at finally gaining some respect from his junior. She laughed instead.

“You’re not my boyfriend,” Choyoung playfully hit his arm, “And besides, I don’t even call anyone oppa,”

“I’ll make you call me oppa one day,” Soonyoung proposed jokingly, “Oh yeah, by the way, are you going home yet? If not, you can sit by the soccer field and wait till my practice is over,”

“Are you sure? Coach Kyung might get mad at me for loitering,”

“Yeah that’s fine, and besides,” Soonyoung reassured her and grinned, “In case you need a ride home or your parents are running late, at least you’ll have me,” He winked.

“Ew, no! Stop!”


 

“Okay, let’s get this started, shall we?” Seunggwan said, crossing his legs as he sat down underneath the shade of the tree overhead next to Choyoung. They both held their scripts in their hands and were sitting about half a foot from each other. They were practicing the kiss scene from ‘Some Kind of Wonderful.’ Seunggwan looked up from his paper and saw Choyoung peeking over at him as well. Her gaze immediately went back down to her paper. He thought it was cute.

Seunggwan’s lips formed into a slight smile at her elementary schoolgirl actions, “You can start when you’re ready,”

Choyoung took a moment to read over her lines in her mind one more time before clearing . When she gave Seunggwan the signal, the two of them stood up from their spots and faced each other. Choyoung had her hair tied up to emphasize that the main female lead was a tomboy. She had borrowed Seunggwan’s tie to further emphasize the manlier image she was supposed to embrace. Seunggwan ed half of the top buttons of his school uniform, showing his black undershirt underneath. It took all of Choyoung’s willpower to pry her eyes away from his slightly exposed chest. Skin was her absolute weak point.

Getting into character, Choyoung looked down at the floor and rubbed the back of her head, pacing back and forth, “Don’t think I’m being weird but what if – what if she wants you to kiss her?”

Seunggwan’s character was the boyfriend of the most popular girl in school. They were going to go on their first date together, and Choyoung’s character was asking him what he would do if his girlfriend wanted to kiss her. Her character liked his character, being opposite best friends of course. Seunggwan brushed his hair away from his face and stepped into a diva pose, “Well then I guess I’m going to have to kiss her,”

“Amanda Jones will be no minor leader who will be swept off her feet at the touch of your amateur lips,” she rolled her eyes.

Pulling an annoyed look, he muttered, “Thanks,”

“This babe has plenty of battle scars,” Choyoung continued to explain his girlfriend’s nature. She stopped walking back and forth and now leaned against the tree.

Seunggwan shifted his position a bit and stuck his free hand in his pocket, his voice irritated, “I think I can handle it,”

“Great, well I just think maybe you should consider whether or not you can deliver a kiss that kills,” Choyoung looked up from her script at Seunggwan and shrugged her shoulders. tilted a bit to the left, trying to look a little bit doubtful of his kissing abilities. Seunggwan stared at her, pretending to think hard about what she had just said.

“W-what?” Seunggwan stuttered, shifting uncomfortably in his position, “You think I can’t?”

Choyoung bit the inside of her lip, pretending to hesitate on her answer. She looked down on at the ground, up at the sky, anywhere to prevent looking him square in the eyes. She brought her shoulders upwards into a prolonged shrug and said in a doubtful tone, “Well, if you say you can, you probably can,” She added a tip of her head and a few hand gestures to justify her lines.

“Well I’m no expert,” Seunggwan continued on with his uncomfortable tone, “But I think I can manage,”

As if she were offended, Choyoung immediately started to walk away from the tree. She walked underneath the tree adjacent from where Seunggwan was and continued on with her lines, “It’s cool, I was just going to work on it with you but if…but if you’re comfortable…great,”

Seunggwan waited for a few seconds until she got a few feet away from where he was standing and jogged after her, hand held out to grab her by the wrist, “Wait, wait, wait,”

Choyoung quickly turned around with a challenging look on her face. A smile tried to fight its way onto her face but she withheld it for the sake of acting. The kiss was approaching and she just couldn’t contain herself. She wanted to explode. Seunggwan, wrist still in hand, looked down into her eyes stuttering, “H-how would you work on it?”

Choyoung pursed her lips and looked away from him. Even though she was playing a character, the way Seunggwan got into it made her feel as if this was actually happening. Biting her bottom lip again, she slightly brushed the inside of her lips before looking back up at him. She was glad she had applied flavored lip balm beforehand. Reassuming her character, she pulled her wrist away and tucked a falling strand of hair behind her ear, walking a few paces backward, “Pretend I’m a girl, okay?”

Seunggwan laughed, expression clearly saying that he thought she was crazy. Damn, he was a good actor. Choyoung acted as if she were judging herself for what she just said, “I mean, pretend I’m her, Amanda,”

Gripping the edge of her paper with her teeth, she fumbled to untie Seunggwan’s tie that was around her neck and pulled off her uniform blazer. She was wearing a short sleeve blouse that day, revealing her milky white skin. Seunggwan’s eyes slightly widened when she did but he looked back up at her. She rolled her eyes and pulled the script out of , speaking in a higher and girlier pitch, “I know it’s a big stretch but try it. Come here,” she motioned for him to come over.

Seunggwan hesitantly walked over to where she was standing, while she continued reading her lines, “I didn’t mean to scare you,”

His eyes were plastered to the ground, as he awkwardly made his way over to her. Now that Seunggwan was acting it out, he realized how big of a softie his character was. No self-esteem whatsoever. Choyoung stopped him when he was about a foot away from her. She was still short compared to him but their height difference wasn’t as vast as it was with Soonyoung. She lifted his chin up and straightened his shoulders. The two of them threw their scripts onto the grass so that they wouldn’t’ get in the way. They memorized this part so that it wouldn’t be weird to keep looking down while performing. Choyoung held her hands at her sides and looked up at him, “Alright, what do you do with your hands?”

“Well it depends,”

“No, it doesn’t depend,” Choyoung rolled her eyes for the hundredth time in ten minutes, “They go on her hips,”

“Okay,” Seunggwan acknowledged but just continued to stand there.

“Do it,”

Seunggwan, with Choyoung guiding him, placed his hands on either side of her hips. Choyoung made sure that he wasn’t going near anything she didn’t want him to and wouldn’t feel uncomfortable touching. She realized that her face still felt cool but when he peeked up at him, his face was slightly pink. She stifled a giggle and continued, “Look into my eyes,”

He brought his eyes up to her and let out a chuckle. Of course, this was the character’s doing. Choyoung, still in character, scoffed and lifted her hands from his, “Come on, I don’t have to do this,”

“Alright, I’m sorry,” Seunggwan kept his hands on her hips, “I’ll stop,”

“Just grow up a little,” she recited. Choyoung wrapped her arms around his neck and let them lay limp against his shoulders and chest, “She’ll probably do this,”

“How do you know?” Seunggwan questioned her, still chuckling.

“I watch a lot of TV,” Choyoung smiled up at him, “Close your eyes,”

And he did. Choyoung adjusted herself and lifted herself up onto the tips of her toes to get anywhere near his lips. The kiss scene was described as an intense, very hot scene and their teacher wanted just that. She didn’t really care whether they were high school freshmen; the important part to her was conveying the emotion in these scenes. Choyoung was unsure how to do this even though she had practiced this with Soonyoung yesterday. But then she realized that it was Soonyoung who had initiated it, not her. She was the one cut off mid-sentence. Keeping a calm composure, Choyoung told herself that it was going to be fine and all she had to do was place her lips on his. Simple as that. Closing her eyes, she leaned forward and pressed her lips on his, pulling him in closer. Choyoung could smell his cologne. It was a familiar scent that many of the boys had especially during formal events. She could recognize it anywhere. The alluring scent of Axe Dark Temptations wafted up her nose. It really lived up to its name. Tempting.

There was no more space between their bodies and they continued to kiss. Seunggwan felt her heart beating against his, making the blood rush to his head. Without warning, he brought his hands up from her hips and pulled her hairtie out, her hair cascading down on her back.  Strawberry lemon. That’s what she tasted like. Artificial strawberry and lemon, of course, thanks to her lip glass. Seunggwan noted her clean, just-out-of-the shower scent even though she showered early that morning. Her crisp scent stayed with her. Choyoung grew tired of hoisting herself up, and put her heels back down to the ground. In response, Seunggwan lifted her up so that she wrapped her legs around his waist, just like it had been in the movie. They grew more intimate as minutes passed, getting deeper and deeper into the kiss. Choyoung was at her ultimate high again. Stars waltzed around her head in red and white. She couldn’t think straight. Neither could he.

Seunggwan slowly let her down back onto the ground, slowly pulling his lips back from hers. His breath came out in desperate gasps, as he held his forehead against his. His uniform collar was drenched with sweat and hers as well. Continuing with their scene, Choyoung pushed herself away from him and grabbed her uniform from the ground, and started to walk away, flustered. Her chest was heavy but it wasn’t because she was short of breath. It was something else that she couldn’t pinpoint. Seunggwan took a moment to catch his breath and started after her, “Wait, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing, lesson’s over,” Choyoung recited her lines as she walked back to the tree they had left their belongings under, “You’re cool,”

Scene. Seunggwan found himself huffing as he laughed, catching up with her. Choyoung was bright red in the face and she kept her back turned to him. Seunggwan realized that she was embarrassed and tried to lighten up the atmosphere, “Hey, calm down, you were great!”

Choyoung squealed girlishly, covering her ears and avoiding facing him, “Stop! You’re making me feel more embarrassed!”

And just a few feet away from them, the leaves of the bushes rustled.


author’s note: i apologize for writing two kissing scenes consecutively. actually no. #sorrynotsorry. i modified the original movie kiss scene ( here ) by a lot just to keep it interesting, you know? hopefully you guys enjoyed this chapter as much as I did writing it!

just for fun though, whose kiss scene did you like the best? soonyoung’s or seunggwan’s?

edit: also, be ready for a double update! i don't have school tomorrow and i'm currently beta-ing chapter 11.