"Do You Have Any Raisins?"

Hey There, Brace Face!

author's note : i will be changing the font sizes in the chapters. i can hardly see the words on my new laptop screen. please tell me if you'd like me to change it back if the font size is too big for you.


“So is your boy taking you out on a date today?”

Choyoung and Bee were at their lockers, packing for the end of the day while others were buzzing around them handing out gifts and cards to each other. Today was the infamous White Day, or the equivalent to American Valentine’s Day. The students were also pretty excited because it was the start of their Spring break tomorrow. Because their winter break was only three days long and American New Year’s was two, their longest vacation was Spring break. Bee wasn’t surprised that she didn’t receive anything but peeked over at Choyoung’s locker, wondering if she did. She read one of the notes Choyoung was holding out loud in the most love-dovey voice she could muster up, “Dearest Choyoung, I like you a lot. I really want to know if you like me to but I am too shy. Sad face, sad face. Your secret admirer,”

“Ugh, shut up. At least he tried,”

“Whatever. You didn’t answer my question,” Bee watched as Choyoung stuff the note into her jacket pocket, reaching for another red envelope that was on her shelf, “Are you or are you not going on a date with Soonyoung today?”

“I don’t know, I’m not really into that kind of stuff,” Choyoung stuffed the other note in her jacket. It was from another secret admirer. She didn’t see the point in secret admirers. How the supposed to figure out who liked her if she barely even talked to anyone other than her friends? They were going to have to remain secret forever then. It had been about a week since she and Soonyoung became a couple in training and things were still pretty normal. Soonyoung was just as clingy and adorable as he always had been. The only thing that changed was that she was a bit more open minded and lenient when it came to skinship. He found it amusing to hug her.

“Well, did he at least put a note in your locker?”

Choyoung snatched up one that was sticking out from her Japanese book. Her cheeks tinted a light pink when she saw the words ‘Happy White Day, Aegiyah!’ She recognized the handwriting as Soonyoung’s except his time it was a lot neater. It was obvious that he actually wanted to make the note look nice even though his handwriting wasn’t all that great. Removing the sticker, she pulled out the card and immediately, pulled into a smile. It was a handmade card. The card itself was white and there were red and pink decorations. There were little cut out red hearts along the side above a thin pink ribbon. On the side in his handwriting, it read: ‘Okay, I admit it. My stomach aches, my heart skips a beat, and my mind goes into overload, when I simply see your name.’

“Aww, is someone blushing?” Bee teased once she finished reading the front of the card. The two giggled. Clutching her heart, Bee exclaimed, “But seriously, that’s so sweet of Soonyoung!”

Opening the card, Choyoung’s smile grew wider. Could Soonyoung get any cheesier? Laughing, she read it out loud for Bee to hear,

I sat for an hour listening to Jihoon’s cringe worthy pick-up lines to find the best one I could use on you. I didn't want to pick one that would scare you away from me. I hope you like this one:

"Do you have any raisins? No? How about a date?"

Jihoon will be picking you up at your house at 5:00 after school and drive you to where we’re meeting. Dress like you’re going to play soccer with me, okay?

I love you~!

“Aww, you guys are so cute!” Bee felt the need to verbally and physically express her emotions. She clapped her hands like a seal, “You’re already saying ‘I love you’ to each other!”

“No, it’s not like that! Ugh, you know what, believe what you think,” Choyoung closed her locker, and slipped the card back into the envelope. Unlike the other cards though, she kept it in her hands because she didn’t want to ruin it or anything. She liked it. In the few months they had known each other, they had grown to completely adore one another to the point where they should be dating but aren't. Even though she was always told to avoid saying the L word too early, she figured that that was not the case between them. They were comfortable with each other so why couldn't they say it? And whenever they said it, they meant it. Soonyoung and her had an agreement that whenever they said ‘I love you’ they meant it was between ‘I like you more than a friend’ and ‘I actually, really do love you.’ They didn't share a close enough love relationship like their parents did but they didn't fall short from that. They were just teens anyway and it would be awkward to hang up on each other and say, ‘I like you.’ It seemed that ‘I love you’ was more fitting for the situation they were in. 

Bee followed after Choyoung as they walked out onto the school courtyard, “So, where do you think your date will be? Do you want me to help you pick out an outfit? Maybe Soonyoung wants to play sports with you?”

“I really don’t know where he’s taking me. Yes, you can help me pick out an outfit. Maybe he does, I don’t know,” Choyoung answered each of her questions. She trusted Bee when it came to fashion. If anything, Bee and Jihoon were the most fashionable of the four while Soonyoung and her liked to dress plainly and simply. There isn’t anything wrong with solid colors. But it did interest her when he mentioned to dress up for the outdoors. Maybe it was a sports date. Of course, she didn’t expect less. Soonyoung wasn’t the type of person to sit down and watch a movie. Both of them were pretty athletic anyway.

“And you know what else is cute? He called you aegiyah!” Bee sang out, “Is that not adorable, or what?! What do you call him nowadays? Soonyoung oppa?”

“I will punch myself in the face first before I ever say oppa,”

They saw Jihoon at the parking lot, the proud owner of a brand new Toyota Rav4. His parents were originally planning on buying a Nissan Rogue but they found that he was too short to see over the hood. It was embarrassing for him really but the important thing was that he got a car. He was the second one in the grade after Soonyoung to own a car. It felt great. The girls insisted that they stay in the second row, still unsure of his driving abilities. Neither one of them wanted to be caught in the front if he were to get in an accident. They were home in about half an hour and immediately, when Choyoung got dressed, she was criticized.

“No, no, no! If you want to impress, wear shorter shorts!”

Choyoung looked down at her legs; her shorts were just a little bit above her knee! There was no way she would ever be caught dead wearing anything shorter. Bee waved her hand for the next pair, still opting for shorts that reached just at mid-thigh. That length was perfect; not too long, not too scandalous. Jihoon nodded his head, agreeing with Bee, “Oh and wear pink! Soonyoung likes it when girls wear pink,”

“Alright, alright, I hear you!” Choyoung called from inside her room. Pink shorts – did she even have pink shorts? She dug around her closet and found a pair of salmon pink running shorts she used in middle school when she ran track. She was relieved when she slipped into it without any problems. Grabbing a plain white top from her closet hanger, she put it on and walked outside. Jihoon grinned and held two thumbs up, “You look cute!”

“Yeah, you do,” Bee side-eyed the older boy before turning back to Choyoung, “Just wear those sneakers that you wore at our school field day last year and you’ll be fine. There’s no need to be wearing anything fancy. If this is a sports date, you don’t want to be walking around in heels or something,”

“Heads up, Soonyoung’s wearing blue,” Jihoon winked. He purposely made Choyoung wear pink so that they two would match. Oh what a brilliant mind he had. Bee giggled, knowing what his plan was. He had told her when Choyoung was changing. The only thing he refused to spill was what Soonyoung had in mind for that night. The only hint he gave out was that it wasn’t in Lotte World. Pretty much everyone was going to be at Lotte World for White Day. Soonyoung wanted to be hipster and go to the Han River. Most of the older couples or young adults would be there while the younger crowd were at the malls. Where's the fun in that?

Choyoung rolled her eyes at the two, “You guys are more enthusiastic about our relationship than we are,”


“Hey there, brace face,” Choyoung greeted Soonyoung as he pulled her into a quick hug. At this time, Jihoon seriously didn’t want to drive away so he could spy on the two but Bee told him to respect their privacy. She was hoping that Jihoon would take her out somewhere nice since they were together already anyway. It would surely make her day if he did. Soonyoung chuckled, quickly pecking Choyoung on her lips, “Hello to you too. You look pretty,"

"Thanks, Jihoon indirectly forced me into it," Choyoung gestured to her pink shorts, "I'm assuming it was because you're wearing blue?"

"Ah, you don't have to listen to Jihoon," Soonyoung rubbed the back of his head cutely, "So...what did you think about my card? It was great, right?”

She flashed her train tracked smile at him, "Fabulous,"

The warm air blew against their faces, as they walked on the road alongside the river. There were a few other couples absorbed in their own dates. Many were either biking or inline skating. Some were sitting on the grass having picnics. Soonyoung took his hands out of his pockets and rubbed the back of his pocket a bit shyly, “Choyoung, can I hold your hand?”

“What?” Choyoung stared at him, a bit confused, “Why didn’t you just take it then?”

“I wanted to make sure you were okay with it,” he explained as he eagerly took her hand in his. Although small, Choyoung’s tiny hand fit perfectly in his. Even though he’s only held her hand a few times before, he always felt butterflies arise every time. Choyoung lowered her head and fought back a smile but it ended up winning; darn his innocence. She couldn’t believe how dominant he could be whenever it came to kissing or anything, but was such a kid when it came to holding hands, cuddling and hugging. Looking up at him, she asked, “So what do you want to do first?”

“I did want to go biking, or well teach you anyway,” Soonyoung pointed to the bike rentals just a few stalls away. He remembered her telling him one time about how she never learned how to ride a bike and would like to one day. He decided that today was going to be the day. Choyoung pursed her lips, unsure if she wanted to actually go through with this. She had never ridden a bike without training wheels before. She saw a sign that read out skates, “How about we go rollerblading instead? I think I’ll do better on that,” She took a basic fundamentals skating class when she was younger so that would definitely come in handy.

“Please, Choyoung?” Soonyoung’s lips pulled into his signature puppy pout after months of not having done it, “For me?”

“You…! Ugh, fine,” Choyoung held up a finger, “But only for one hour. After that, we’re going rollerblading,” And to that, Soonyoung gladly agreed.

“Alright, now I’ll hold the back of the seat as you go pedal forward,” Soonyoung reassured her as she mounted herself on the bike. It actually took a long time for her to choose what bike she wanted to rent because either, the bike was ugly, she didn’t like the color, or the seat was shaped funny. She finally settled on a medium sized white one. Choyoung gripped the handle bars, terrified of falling over, “You’re not going to let go halfway are you?”

“Of course not! I’m not that mean!” he began waking as Choyoung started to turn the pedals. Her knuckles were growing white at how tight she was gripping the bars. He hoped she was a fast learner otherwise they weren’t going to get anywhere in that one hour. Soonyoung waited about ten minutes before he let go; to his surprise, Choyoung didn’t fall over.

“Keep going Choyoung, you’re doing great!” he called out to her.

Choyoung noticed that his voice was a bit further than what she remembered. Peering over her shoulder, she shrieked when she saw him smirking a few feet away from her. Her eyes were wide as moons panicking, but she couldn’t start flailing her arms around otherwise she would serve off the trail. She continued to yell, “Soonyoung! Get back over here!”

Shaking his head, Soonyoung jogged closer to her but he didn’t take hold of her. Walking a few feet from her and the bike, he brushed his bangs out of his face nonchalantly, “What?”

“You’re not holding me!”

“But look, you’re biking!” he pointed out to her, “Why should I still hold you?”

Choyoung finally started to pay attention and noticed that she really was biking. She was doing it all by herself like the big girl she was without Soonyoung. She laughed, ecstatic that she could now ride a bike. She couldn’t wait until she got home to tell her parents about how she could finally get that red bike she had wanted many Christmases ago. Trying to brake, she back pedaled but completely forgot that she had to put her feet down on the ground. To Soonyoung’s amusement, Choyoung fell over.

Helping her up, Soonyoung decided to walk back to the rental place with it instead of burdening her with the task. He ruffled her hair before wrapping an arm around her shoulder while she hugged his waist, “Maybe next time we can work on your braking?”

After about half an hour of Choyoung trying to teach Soonyoung how to rollerblade, they gave up halfway. There were a few game stalls and buildings along the road which they visited. Later on, they headed over to a café to buy ice cream. When they finally got their orders, Soonyoung couldn’t help but laugh at how enlightened Choyoung was at the heart shaped spoons. It was such a peculiar shape for a spoon head. The talked to each other pretty much about anything – school, Jihoon and Bee, what they wanted to do over Spring break, and even started to plan out what they wanted to do with their relationship. They couldn’t stay as a couple in training forever.

The sky was a deep violet by the time they had finished. It was 7:30PM now and they had made it just in time to make it to watch the water show. They headed towards the bridge fountain and sat on the grass just beside the river. It was only a matter of minutes when liquid rainbows began pouring from the pores in the bridge into the pitch black river water.

“So, what did you think? Was this a good first date?” Soonyoung asked Choyoung who was preoccupied with playing with the pink velveteen rabbit he had won her at one of the basketball stalls. It wasn’t exactly the most romantic date you would usually see in dramas but he figured it was something that the both of them would enjoy. They both liked the outdoors and pretty much, the basic idea behind a date is to spend time with each other.

“I liked it a lot,” Choyoung leaned back against his chest when he pulled her onto his lap. His arms loosely hung at her waist, his head snuggled in the crook of her neck. She felt Soonyoung smile when she said that. Giggling, she turned her head and quickly kissed his cheek, “The important part as that I got to spend it with you,”

They sat there silently for a while, taking in the relaxing sounds of the water. It was nice to just get out and breathe the fresh air without any worries. Footsteps quickly came running towards them a good distance away from them but they could hear the voices of the people loud and clear. Their eyes widened when they heard the familiar high-pitched, fanglirly voices, “Choyoung? Soonyoung? Is that you?”

Scrambling to their feet, they had separated quickly enough before the two females stopped in front of them. Soonyoung and Choyoung’s exchanged worried glances, “Mom?!”