Chapter 10

Paperless Diaries

Chanyeol:

I tried not to let my jealousy cloud my mind. I'm his friend too, I'm sure of it. He's just too stubborn to show that he likes hanging out with me! I pouted and kicked my feet at the ground, stuffing my hands into my jean pockets.

"You're awful huffy back there."

I shrugged at his observation.

He halted and turned to face me, his arms crossed against his chest. "You're upset because I altered your plans."

I shuffled past him.

"If it makes you feel any better, I'll go see this place you want to take me to after I've made sure Kyungsoo is fine."

A hint of a smile broke through my pout and I clamped my teeth over my bottom lip to hide it.

After a few more moments of walking he made an abrupt turn into a small bakery shop. "Your friend lives in a bakery?"

He nodded. "The floor above it."

He pushed open the door and the bell above the frame jingled, signalling our entrance. I tailed Baekhyun closely as we ascended the little staircase in the corner of the shop. The smell of bread and pastries invaded my sinuses.

"Kyungsoo-yah?"

A muffled cough sounded from somewhere down the hallway. Baekhyun knocked gingerly on one of the doors and I followed him in as he cautiously entered. He sat on the edge of his friends bed and as soon as his face came into view I gasped.

"Y-Youre.."

He glanced my direction and smiled as he recognized me. "Oh, hello. You're Jongin's friend aren't you?"

I nodded and grinned, happy to see him. "Yeah! I wasn't expecting to see you! It's a bummer you're sick. Kai will be wondering about you when you don't show up tonight."

He blinked and tipped his head curiously. "He will?"

Clamping my jaw shut, I decided not to push myself into dangerous territory.

Baekhyun was feeling his head with his opposite hand pressed against D.O.'s forehead. "You have a slight fever. Have you been drinking enough water and eating regularly?" He nodded and pointed to the empty bowl on the night stand.

"Yeah, I've got a pot of soup on the stove simmering away if you want some. Help yourself."

His hand brushed a lock of hair away from Baekhyun's eyes absentmindedly. I suddenly felt very awkward with how comfortable they were together in such a close proximity. I had to look away briefly.

"No, that's alright, we have to get going. I'll take care of the soup and put it away for you before we leave. You don't need to push yourself to cook when you're in this shape. I'll always come down and do that for you. Give me a call next time, will you?" He dipped his head in response and Baekhyun left the room to handle the soup.

"So you're friends with Baekhyun Hyung? It's nice to see him hang out with other people. He's rather timid and sticks to the strict guidelines he's set for himself. Rarely does he get out, much less meet new people."

I on my teeth and made a snapping noise when I opened my mouth. "Yeah, he's a strange one. I wouldn't call us friends, though. He doesn't care much for me.", I said with a chuckle.

Kyungsoo's brows furrowed.

"Nonsense. If he didn't like you he'd simply push you away and give you not a moment of his time. Clearly he thinks enough of you that he dares bring you over to meet his sick Dongsaeng."

"Done! Ready to go?" Beakhyun peeked his head into the doorway, looking content.

I smiled and shook my head in assurance.

We left the little bakery home and I took Baekhyun lightly by the wrist and pulled him along the sidewalk. My eyes drifted across the grain of the cement as we walked and my lips tugged at the corners. My heart had fluttered at what Kyungsoo had said. Maybe he does see me as a friend. Why is it so important to me, anyway?

"Hey." I glimpsed over my shoulder at him. "We've been interacting for a little while already and you still haven't told me your name."

"I thought you'd never ask." My teeth hit the air as I welled with amusement.

"Chanyeol. Park Chanyeol."