Chapter 16

Paperless Diaries

Chanyeol:

I was sluggish during work today. My movements were less deliberate.

Friends.

I had already decided I wouldn't visit him today. I decided I would wait until my feelings were under control before I went to see him again. I didn't want to push him into anything he didn't want. If he just wanted us to be friends, I decided that I would have to control my feelings and view him as a friend. The kiss was a mistake. I really enjoyed it. It seemed like he did too, but maybe he wasn't serious about it.

I wonder if he thinks I'm weird.

Friends don't kiss each other.

Am I even a friend?

I remembered what Do Kyungsoo told me.

He wouldn't even give me a moment of his time if I weren't seen as a friend.

I felt relieved, but still down about the situation.

"Chanyeol-ah. You okay, today?", my boss asked.

I nodded. "Yeah, just have a lot on my mind. Is it okay if I stay at the cafe for a few days? I have to move my stuff out of my apartment because I was late on rent."

She pursed her lips, then nodded. Her hair fell forward into her face and she blew it out of the way, wiping her brow with her gloved hand.

"Say, listen." She threw her hand into the air and peeled the rubber glove off, creating a snapping noise as it slipped off of her skin. She repeated it on the other hand. "I've seen you running off to the library down the road several times already. I'm starting to think it's not your friend's sister that has a crush on that boy. It's you, isn't it?"

I looked down.

"What happened?", she asked.

"We kissed."

She furrowed her brow and leaned forward onto the counter, rocking on her elbows and holding her chin in her hands. "Isn't that a good thing?"

I shrugged. "It was."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean he doesn't see me that way. The kiss was great. Amazing actually. But he just wants to be friends."

She air in through her teeth and leaned back onto her heels, grabbing the lip of the counter to hold her weight as she thought about the information.

"How do you know that?"

"He said so."

She clicked her tongue and flipped her ponytail back, rocking her feet.

Then she stopped her fidgeting and looked at me sternly.

"Sometimes people say things they don't mean."

She had said all she intended to and dropped her gloves on the counter, finished with her cleaning. She picked up her bag and left, reminding me to lock up and to keep the place clean if I'm going to stay here. I watched as I heard the door click shut and the bells become silent, leaving a ring in the air that's really just imaginary.

I listened to the hum of the cold box. 

The quiet was calming. I knew I needed to go back and get my things. I wouldn't be able to bring everything to the cafe. I would have to leave some things behind. I crossed my fingers and hoped that I wouldn't have to leave anything expensive. 

Sometimes people say things they don't mean.

I thought about my boss's words.

Could he want to be more than friends?

Is he even... Gay?