Chapter 3

Paperless Diaries

Baekhyun:

I was on my knees, a laundry basket full of nonfiction dietary books lying to the right of my hip. I had been in the midst of organizing them and placing them back on the shelf. I let myself hum a tune silently in my head and was in my own little world, enjoying the act of restoring order to the chaotic jumble of titles and authors.

It had already been three days since I'd seen the creeper who broke into the library and scared the living daylights out of me. I'd long forgotten about the ordeal and I sure wasn't expecting him to show up again.

My heart jumped through my chest cavity and right out onto the linoleum floor when a hand placed itself on my shoulder. A small squeak leaked from between my lips and I whipped my head around.

"Can I help you with.. some...thing.....?" My reflexive phrase tapered off into a whisper as I realized I recognized the face that peered down at me from above. "You're that creeper fro-!" I clamped a hand over my mouth, stifling the shout that had slipped from my vocal chords by surprise. I thought I'd caught a glimpse of hurt  flash in his eyes, but he quickly replaced it with a warm smile and welcoming expression before I could confirm what I'd seen.

"Hello! I see you still remember me, haha..." He scratched his head awkwardly and waved toward the science section. "I was needing some help looking for a book that might help me."  

I nodded and pushed myself up off of the ground, a hand on one knee and one on the floor. "I apologize for my highly unprofessional behavior before. Please, let me help you. What is it that you are looking for?" I reached a hand forward for him to shake, but he failed to notice and tipped his head in thought, pausing for a moment.

"I need some research material for a class... I want to read about the universe... " I furrowed my brows and withdrew my hand. "Uhh... Okay. I'll see what I can find for you. Although I can't let you check out any reference material, you'll have to refer to it here at the library."

I bent over to pick up my ungodly heavy basket of books, grunting as I hefted it up into my arms. He followed closely behind me as I led him into the science section. I set the basket down and leaned forward, scanning the book numbers until I found something suitable. "Theories of the Galaxies, Professor James McConnely. Will this work?" He looked rather clueless as he took the book from my hand. "Umm.. Sure. I'll give it a try. Thanks!"

I tried my best to ignore the feelings that rose from deep in my stomach when he smiled. Turning my head away, I bent down to pick up my basket once again.

"I-uh.."

I lifted my chin and looked up at his round eyes.

"I can get that for you."

I had to divert my gaze once more.

"No, that's quite alright, find yourself a seat in the lounge and look through that book. The libary closes soon so you don't have much time." I struggled as I lifted the load. I tried to hide the strain in my arms but ceased to succeed in doing so. He shook his head and reached down, taking the basket from me.

"Then I suppose I'll be a regular here, where do you want these?"

I tried to act cool and nonchalant as the heavy books were removed from my grasp, leaving me relieved, but with a pulled muscle from trying to hide my effort. "Right over there.", I said, pointing to my previous station in the food and dietary health vicinity. I popped out my hip and rested my hands on my waist, throwing my head back as if I weren't having any trouble at all.

How did I get into this embarrassing situation?