Chapter 14

Paperless Diaries

Chanyeol:

I really like him. 

I REALLY like him.

My chest filled with emotion as I watched his smiling face and listened to his honest laugh. The sound of his voice as he sang and the sway of his hips as he danced made me feel drunk. I felt giddy and my face felt warm. I wiped the wetness of the window spray from my forehead and I stared at him a little while longer, before I realized that I couldn't hold it in anymore.

I wasn't even scared of rejection. I was more scared of what would happen if I let him get away without even trying to hold on to him.

I adore this man.

I reached for his legs and pulled him down ontop of me, his knees collapsing on either side of my stomach. His eyes grew wide and his lips trembled as he uttered a soft squeak of surprise. I let my hands fly up to his face and I pulled him into a kiss. I felt an enormous sense of relief as his sweet lips touched mine and his body grew weak ontop of mine. 

I really, REALLY, like him.

His mouth moving with mine and his hands moving to grip my hair made my heart flutter. 

He's kissing me back. 

I couldn't believe it.

It felt like a dream.

Suddenly, he pulled away and sat up. His face was beet red and his eyes glittering.

"I-", He started.

I interrupted him, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that without asking."

I sat up and he scooted off of my lap and crossed his legs on the floor, fidgeting his thumbs together nervously. 

"It's okay.", he said.

"I liked it. It was nice."

I blushed. I felt a wave of crimson flush my whole face and I bit my lip in embarrassment.

"I really like you, Baekhyun."

He smiled and pushed my shoulder lightheartedly. "Hyung. You have to call me Hyung now." He winked. 

I chuckled. "Hyung."

I stood up and held out a hand for him to take. His nimble fingers grasped my own and I pulled him up. We smiled shyly at each other and he looked back at the clock. 

"It's almost morning. I have to work tomorrow. I should go."

I tried to hide my disappointment. "Yeah, you're right."

He walked over to the switch box and extinguished the lights. I felt a tinge of bravery left over from our kiss and I took his hand before he could begin feeling the book bindings. "Can I walk you out?"

I heard him chuckle quietly. The noise was sweet.

"Sure."

He closed the doors behind us and locked the library. "I had a good time singing and dancing with you, tonight. I hope we can be good friends."

My heart sank and his words stung. I tugged my lips into a smile and did my best attempt to hide my hurt.

"Yeah, I hope so too." 

Friends.

Just friends.

We parted ways and I walked home. My legs were like jelly, my feet dragging. My insides were all twisted with emotion. Just moments before, we shared a passionate kiss that left me feeling like I was special to him, but he didn't even waver as he told me he wanted to be friends. 

I pressed my hand to my chest as my feet came to a halt on the sidewalk. I could hear cars in the distance and the streetlight above was fickering.

Is this what it's like to fall for someone?

Is it supposed to feel so wonderful that you could jump higher than the clouds, but feel so bitter at the same time?

Is this what it's like?

I let my hand slide off of my chest and drop to my side, before I resumed my steps and continued home. I could see my porch light flickering just a few yards away as I approached my apartment. I couldn't help but notice something flapping against my door. As I got closer I could see that there was a small paper wedged in the door seal. I pulled it off and peered at the words.

"Eviction notice...", I read alloud.

A sigh escaped my lips. 

. I thought I had gotten an extension on my rent.