Chapter 13

Paperless Diaries

Baekhyun:

My knees stung at impact the moment my skin met the concrete. A pair of dark eyes stared into my own and the realization of what had just happened hit me like a brick. I struggled to my feet and patted myself off, tiny pebbles, dirt, and peeled skin cascading toward the earth.

I bowed repeatedly to the boy, feeling extremely guilty.

Damnit, Baekhyun.

"Kai?! What are you doing out here? Don't you have practice tonight?"

Kai?

"Err... It ended early today because our teacher wasn't feeling too great."

He seemed distracted and ridden with anxiety as he ran a hand through his hair. I stood awkwardly behind Chanyeol as he pushed Kai for a more detailed explanation.

"Ahh... I don't know. I kind of wanted to see.. Uh..." Chanyeol leaned forward for the boy to whisper into his ear.

Instantaneously my cheeks felt hot at their close proximity and I laced my fingers together behind my back, chewing my lip in a nervous manner. Kai stood with Chanyeol's help and I felt a hand circle around my shoulders. That goofy, toothy smile was plastered onto Chanyeol's face again.

"This is Baekhyun. My new best friend. He just doesn't know it yet."

Whipping my head around I gawked at him in disbelief. Kai was clearly amused by the phrase.

"Poor kid. Hey, you better run while you can! He's crazy!" His pointer finger was making circles at the side of his head and he crossed his eyes.

Yeah, no doubt.

Chanyeol shoved Kai in the shoulder as he retaliated. "You're rude!"

"Sorry, I'm Kim Jongin."

He put his hand forward for me to shake and I hesitantly took it.

"Most people call me Kai. Sorry about the tumble. This goofy guy here is my Hyung. We go way back."

His Hyung?

"You better watch out, he's gay.", he whispered into my ear.

My eyes widened with surprise and he snickered.

"I'm just kidding. Chill."

"Yah! No secrets, will you?", Chanyeol barked.

Kai was jerked away from me and Chanyeol's fingers wrapped around my forearm. 

"Anyway, your beloved Kyungsoo is sick."

Kai seemed deeply concerned and exclaimed, "Wait, he's sick? You saw him? I'm confused." 

"We just came from his house, he and Baekhyun are friends."

Kai let out a sigh. "Oh... Is he alright?" 

"He's fine, I wouldn't go see him now though, at this hour? You weirdo. Go back home.", Chanyeol teased. 

"Ugh. Well the big, tall bully here demands I return back to my base instead of seeing an ill friend in peril. I guess I'll see you around, Shorty."

I cringed at the name 'Shorty', but an immediate smile crept onto my face as the realization hit me.

Chanyeol has to call me Hyung.

--------------------------

When we returned to the library I began putting things away and locking up for the night. Chanyeol was following me closely and I tried to hide my slight joy that he hasn't left yet. Without even knowing, I had begun to really enjoy his presence. He was bright and bubbly. Something very different in my life that I think I could get used to and benefit from.

I was climbing up a book ladder with a couple of novels in my hand when I heard a shreak that pulled me out of my routine. I jumped and almost tumbled off of the ladder.

"What?! What is it?! God, don't scare me like that, you jackass! I thought I was going to fall to my iminent death!"

I steadied myself and slipped the books on the shelf before I began my decent to the floor.

Chanyeol came running toward me with a mop bucket and a spray bottle. He started singing and dancing to some song I had never heard and I glared at him with the most menacing look I could muster.

"What kind of music video are you reminded of when you find the library cleaning closet? ... You baffle me."

After a few minutes of watching Chanyeol dance so lightheartedly I began to smile and for the first time in a long time, I let loose. I danced with him and took the spray bottle from him. We laughed in the dim library lights and danced like fools, singing to our hearts' content so shamelessly that our ancestors were probably embarrassed by us.

I started spraying him with window cleaner and he used the mop bucket as a shield. It soon turned into a pursuit game and the singing halted. I chased him back and forth down the book aisles and he tripped over a stool. I hovered over him, spraying like a madman while he was shrieking and laughing so hard his face was turning purple.

Our eyes met during the commotion and for a long, meaningful second, he told me something very important with just his gaze. I wish I could have read his gaze. I could tell it was important, but I'd never felt such strong emotions toward anyone like Chanyeol before. I couldn't read what he was thinking and I began to feel stressed.

Then my thoughts were interrupted.

He did something shocking.

Something I was not expecting.

He placed his hands behind my knees and pulled me down, then placed both hands on either side of my face, and swiftly pulled me down for a kiss. Not a peck. Not a smooch. A real, full, sensual kiss.

My body turned to putty.

I don't think I could have resisted even if I wanted to.

He poured so much emotion into our kiss that I couldn't even comprehend where we were or what was happening beforehand. All I could do was feel his kiss, his emotion, and his warmth.

I fell in love in those few moments of kissing, with Chanyeol's hands running through my hair and my own hands awkwardly resting on his face.

We soon ran out of breath and he pulled away.

After I came back down to earth I noticed that I was straddling his stomach and I was still leaned over his smiling face. Crimson rushed through my veins and I started to felt lightheaded.

Then my world faded to black, and the last thing I remember, is my face resting on Chanyeol's grey knitted sweater.