chapter 9

Paperless Diaries

Baekhyun:

My lip had become sore from chewing on it absentmindedly. I pressed my palms to my temples and groaned. What is wrong with you, Baekhyun?! After several minutes of fervid gnashing and brainsplitting thought I'd come up with nothing.

"Augh! I've had enough!"

I slammed a hand onto the table and stood abruptly, my chair sliding out from under me and tipping over onto the floor.  

You need to stop being so careless. It's too dangerous to stray from your routine! Tomorrow you need to tell him that you can't stay after anymore.

A sudden pang of emotion I couldn't quite decipher rushed through my veins. Fear?

I returned to my seat slowly and placed my palms on the tabletop.

Maybe because my normal lifestyle has been diverted so heavily. Or... Maybe it's fear of not seeing him ag-No!

My forehead made contact with the tiled surface with a loud thump.

Ouch, Calm yourself, Baekhyun. Stop worrying over nothing and get some sleep.

My feet made their way habitually to my bedroom and I collapsed onto my bed with a sigh. Rolling over, I caught a glimpse of the keychain he'd given me earlier. I'd thrown it into my room haphazardly; very much unlike myself, I must say; after I'd returned to my apartment and snagged myself a tangerine from the fruit bowl sitting on my counter.

I closed my eyes and tried to focus on the swirl of colors and blurs behind my eyelids. Soon, I'd slipped into a deep slumber and my night had marked its end.

--------------------------

Smiling at the girl, I held to her the book she had just checked out. Her cheeks reddened and her fingers were careful not to touch my own as she received it from my grasp. Her hair fell over her eyes and she choked a thanking word, fleeing from the library. She had been coming every few days for the past month. Each time choosing books of the agricultural sort.

Funny girl.

"She clearly likes you." I jumped from my skin. "You clearly can't take a surprise."

My brows pressed together and I glowered at the tall boy who'd been plaguing my mind and my life as of late.

"You clearly enjoy irritating me.", I retaliated.

He looked momentarily offended, until a gleaming, toothy smile spread across his face and he poked my forehead.

"What happened to your face? You've got a giant goose egg right smack dab in the center of your forehead."

I rubbed the knot on my head where he'd poked me. "Forget it, I'm a walking disaster."

He stared at me for an uncomfortably long segment of time.

"What?"

He shrugged and shoved his hand in my back pocket, fishing around. "Ack! What the hell are you doing?!" My beet colored face twisted in horror and embarrassment as he pulled my phone out.

"What's that guy's name again? Ask him to fill in for you. I've got some place I want to take you."

I snatched my cell from his hand and slapped his shoulder.

"Grabby Bastard."

He chuckled and continued to tease me. "By the looks of your face it seems you didn't mind it."

I let my jaw gape open as I struggled to find some way to defend myself.

"I'm just playing with you. Kangsoo... Something like that... Right?'

"It's Kyungsoo, and he's a wonderful friend, I don't want to impose on him too much."

He pouted and his eyes looked to the side. "I feel kind of jealous... He's actually seen as a friend."

That indescribeable pang pinched inside my chest again.

"Fine. I'll call him." I bit my lip as I scrolled through my contacts looking for D.O. The line rang twice before he answered, sounding sleepy.

"Hyung?"

"Kyungsoo-yah? Were you... Sleeping? At this hour?" He coughed a loud rasping heave and moaned in response.

"Are you sick? You sound sick."

No answer.

"I'm coming over."

Slipping my handphone back into my pants pocket I grabbed Mr. Grabby by the shirt sleeve and pulled him with me. "Wait, where are we going? He's not filling in?"

"My dongsaeng has fallen ill. We're going to visit him. I've got a coworker stocking novels in the back. I'm sure he can handle things on his own."

"Wait, what about-"

"I don't care, we can do that later. Kyungsoo is top priority."

"... Top priority, huh?"

"Yes, top priority."

"...You're very good at being ice cold."

I felt a second of guilt, but dismissed it immediately. 

"I've got to see D.O."