Chapter 8

Paperless Diaries

Chanyeol:

Is he staying late just because of me? Wouldn't it be a bother? My palms were sweaty as I guided him through to the exit.

"Don't stay late if it's just for me. It will ruin your schedule."

His shoulders were stiff and his posture awkward. I could hear his breath hitching.

"I'm not staying for you. I'm actually quite interested in the topic you're looking into. If only you'd pretend to be a little more serious about it. I can't even read a full sentence without you yawning."

He was about to slam into the door and I reached forward in a hurry to prevent the disaster. The door swung open noisily, the metal crashing against the side of the building. He jerked, startled by the sudden racket. "Oh... Thanks. I didn't see that."

I couldn't help myself and I burst into laughter. "Clearly not!"

We stepped out into the cold wind and I waved him off as I turned to walk the other way. A few feet away I stopped and spun on my heels.

"Wait! Baekhyun! Do you live far?"

He flicked his wrist in the air, his back turned to me.

"I can take you!"

I watched the back of his head shake as he sauntered down the sidewalk. My brows furrowed as I ignored the sting of a cold rejection and retraced my steps to the shop. I'd forgotten my cell phone next to the cold box. I broke into a jog and rubbed my arms, wanting to get out of the cold. I fumbled around in my pockets, patting and digging until I managed to locate my key. A sigh of relief escaped my lips and I slipped the key into the fob.

I was surprised to see that my boss was still there.

"Oh! Chanyeol? What are you doing here? I thought you would have gone home long ago."

I scritched at the back of my head. "I forgot my phone..."

She snatched it off of the counter and tossed it to me. I barely managed to catch it, my heart racing in fear of it shattering to pieces. "I should have known that was yours."

I noticed a book sitting next to where my cell phone had been.

"Do you go to the library much?"

She raised an eyebrow and tipped her head in thought. "Err... Sometimes. The boy I typically see working is quite leniant when I turn a book in late... Why?"

I shrugged.

"Just wondering. What's his name?"

She gave me a quizzical look. "Baekho, Baekjoo, something like that. I really don't remember... If you've got a book or something you need to turn in just do it. He won't charge you or anything. I'm certainly not going to do it for you."

I shook my hands out infront of me. "No, no that's not it. My friend's sister is interested in him. She wants his number. You don't happen to have it do you?"

Her jaw tucked and her lips sputtered. She looked at me as if I were mentally challenged.

"His number? Of course not! Why would I have something like that?"

I smiled and stepped backward, my heel scuffing the bottom of the door frame. "Oh, well thank you anyway! Have a good night!"

She managed to shrug off my bizarre questions and smile as I left, closing the door gently behind me.