Chapter 5

Paperless Diaries

Baekhyun:

I let go of his shirt as we stepped outside and stationed ourselves beside the entrance to the library. "Look at you! You're nothing but trouble! You've caused us to disturb readers twice already!"

His wide eyes blinked curiously as I scolded him sternly. After seeing his clueless expression I sighed and pressed a hand to my face. "Nevermind, look. If you're going to come to talk, then don't come at all. This is a libary."

The look on his face changed to something tender and I tried to ignore the odd feelings that rise in my chest every time his round pupils did that doe-eyed thing.

"You know what?", He said. "When do you get off of work? It's a weekend and I think you need something to calm your nerves. You're so highstrung. I'll make you a coffee if you stop by the shop I work at. It's on me."

The sun glinted off of his gleaming teeth and neraly blinded me. I put a hand up to shield me from the light beaming itself directly into my corneas. "I uh... I don't really have a time that I get off on weekends... I volunteer on weekends, remember?"

He looked to the side, the information sinking in. "Ahh... I see. Then come now!" He grabbed hold of my wrist and started to pull me down the sidewalk.

"No! Wait! Let me call someone to take over for me!"

He stopped and let go of my wrist, waiting for me to make my call as I dug around in my pockets for my phone.

"So... Is there actually someone who can take over? Because it sounds to me like you're the only employee they have." I shot him an annoyed glare and he clamped his mouth shut with a click.

The cell rang three times before my coworker picked up. "Hey, Kyungsoo-yah. Can you fill in for me?.... Yeah, something... unexpected came up...... Okay... Thanks."

I caught a glimpse at him as I shut my flip-phone. He was gawking at the old model. "Dude, you haven't upgraded? That thing is a dinosaur!" I shrugged it off and started walking.

"So where is this place?"

He jogged to catch up and pointed, his arm extended outward. "Oh, so close?" He nodded. "Wow! I had no idea that was a coffee shop! It looks so... rugged." I smiled.

"Hey! I think it's beautiful."

I slapped his shoulder teasingly. "I'm kidding, it's cute. Nice palm trees, though. It really doesn't scream coffee. Honestly."

He laughed.

"I know, I've tried to convince my boss to lose the hawaiian theme. It makes it look like a tanning salon." He pulled open the door for me and I walked in, eyeing the tropical decor.

"You're right. Wow. This has got to go."

He pulled a chair out for me, which was made of wicker and had a coconut lime printed cushion. I took a seat and splayed my fingers out over the tablecloth, also coconut lime print.

"So how do you like your coffee?"

He was stationed behind the bar, tying an apron around his waist.

"Umm... I don't really know, I'm not much of a coffee drinker. Surprise me." He nodded and smiled.

"I'll prepare you one of my favorites then."

I watched him work, his long fingers preparing everything with a certain sort of grace that I imagined a professional chef would have. That stirring feeling was bubbling in my stomach again. I looked away and examined the volcano painting on the wall in an attempt to distract myself.

Baekhyun... You should be at the library right now, organizing books and helping readers find certain titles. You should be enveloping yourself in the quiet routine you acquired years ago...

What has come over me?