Chapter 11

Paperless Diaries

Baekhyun:

"You can open your eyes now.", Chanyeol said as he removed his hand from my face. 

Chanyeol. Yes. I like that. I like that the boy who has been plaguing my mind is no longer 'the boy', but is now 'Chanyeol'. Park Chanyeol. 

My eyelids fluttered open to see the sky. We were on a balcony. The sight was beautiful. The colors ranged from vivid orange to a galactic violet. I hadn't realized it was already so late that the sun was setting.

"Like it? Check out my telescope. I just got it, I haven't used it yet. I want you to be the first person to look through it." I looked at him, confused as to his reasoning.

"Why?"

He smiled and said nothing. His teeth still glinted although the light was low. Pointing at the sky, he directed my attention toward a single light just bright enough to show. "See that? That's Mercury. Soon it will be dark enough and we will be able to see all kinds of constellations and interesting things."

I pointed to an other gleaming light in the distance. "What about that?"

He giggled and poked at my shoulder. "That's a satellite, Silly."

Feeling bashful and embarrassed I looked down, willing for the heat in my cheeks to drain of its color.

"Why do you hide your smile?"

I bore holes in the flooring of the balcony to keep from raising my head.

"I feel like you're afraid to let me see it. Why?"

He reached for my face and I flinched away.

"Why?"

"I don't know.", I mumbled. "I've always felt uncomfortable showing my emotions to people."

He clicked his tongue. "No way. You're comfortable showing your anger or your irritation. Why can't you let yourself show happiness?"

I shook my head and lifted my chin, looking him in the eyes sternly. "You don't understand. I'm only like this around you. You drive me crazy. You make me nervous and you're able to stir up my calm inside so easily. What is it about you that you're so strange. Do you have this effect on everyone?" My tone faltered at the end of my sentence and I suddenly felt fearful of him.

I was afraid of the power he now held over me. How easily he could send me out of control of myself. He's thrown my life into an unorganized spiral. I let him. I let him break my cycle.

"... I'll set up the telescope."

I could sense his unease. I cursed myself. Sitting down on the ground, I watched as he adjusted the scope, spinning dials and aiming it just how he wanted. My palms felt clammy against the tile, and the setting seemed almost surreal. He swallowed hard, a his adam's apple bobbing. My eyes started to wander, tracing his arms. They started down his abdomen when I caught myself and jerked my head away. What's wrong with you!?

"There. That should be right.", he said.

I noticed the crack in his voice and bit my lip.

"Can I look?"

"Of course." He stepped aside and gestured for me to take a look.

I stood beside him, pressing my face to the lense. "What am I supposed to be seeing?"

"The satellite."

He burst into histerical laughter and I turned my head, glaring at him. "Very funny."

"You're so easy to tease."

Jutting my lip at him I took an other look out of curiosity.

"Wow, this thing is surprisingly detailed. I don't know a thing about telescopes or watching stars but I think you've got yourself a very good instrument here. I bet it was costly."

"I don't know how much it cost, my sister bought it for me."

"Your sister?", I inquisited as I stepped away from the scope and leaned against the railing beside him. It was getting dark enough to where it was becoming difficult for me to see.

"Mmm. She's great. Beautiful, smart, loving. I couldn't ask for better."

"You're close with her."

"I guess you could say that. And what about you? Do you have any siblings?"

"An older brother. I don't see him much. I miss him."

He hummed contentedly.

"It should be dark enough now so you can see my favorite constellation." He pointed the telescope in the right direction and pulled me over to it. I bent over and peeked through at the sky.

"That's Draco. The dragon constellation. It turns upside down throughout the year. It's summer now, but if you look at it again in winter, it will be flipped."

I pulled away from the telescope and he was looking at me, his eyes probing.

"It's late. I think I should go."

"Schedule. Right." Disappointment was evident in his voice and I chewed on my lip at his reaction.

"Yes... Good night."

"I'll take you home."

I smiled at his offer and . "You'll have to, since it's dark and you covered my eyes bringing me here like a kidnapper."