Day 1 Part 4

7 Days

Hana’s Car - Monday 2:23pm


Hana was in her car closely following behind Mars. They were on their way to do the death notifications. As Hana was driving in her car she thought back to the conversion she had with Hoya. She kept asking herself why she answered every single one of his questions? Why did she feel so close to him when she only met him not even an hour ago?


Hana was thinking about the emotions she saw on his face as she was talking. He seemed genuinely interested by what she could do, and he showed no fear. Hana was surprised by that. Usually when she told men or anyone really about what she did, they had a small amount of fear. Fear, that she was going to find out their darkest secrets. Hana wanted to think more on the subject but she saw that Mars was parking his car, so she did the same.


Mars and Hana walked up to an apartment building in Dorchester. Mars looked at his notebook to see the apartment number. “3F.” Hana and Mars had to take the stairs. It seemed the elevator was broken and judging by the ‘out of order’ sign, it has been broken for a long time.


They reached the third floor and in two seconds were in front the apartment 3F. Mars knocked on the door. At first there was no answer. Mars knocked again “This is Detective Rick Mars, please open the door.” Slowly the door opened to reveal a small woman who looked to be in her 60s, but Hana knew it was the look of a hard life. She had short black hair with a few strands of grey. She also had a small face and a petite frame.“Are you Jane Wright? Alice’s mother?” The moment Mars mentioned Alice’s name Hana saw a small expression of guilt on her face.


“Yes, but it’s Jane Rigsby now. I changed it after I got married.”


“My apologies Mrs. Rigsby. May we come in?” Jane opens the door all the way so they could enter. Hana notices all the beer and wine bottles in every corner that she could see. There were also cigarette buts all over the floors and tables. In other words the place was a pigsty. “Mrs. Rigsby, I am sorry to inform you but your daughter, Alice Wright, was found dead at the Onyx Hotel in Boston.” Hana could see all the guilt on her face, but there was also genuine sadness too.


“Are you sure it’s my baby?” Jane asked while tears were silently falling from her eyes.


“Yes, again I am sorry.” Hana decided that it was her turn to ask the questions.


“Mrs. Rigsby, I am sorry for your loss, but we would really like to ask you some questions.” Jane nodded trying to hold back the tears. “Did you know what your daughter was doing at the hotel?”


“No, I had not seen or spoken to my daughter since the end of May.”


“So you had no idea where your daughter was for almost two months?”


“No.”


“There was no missing person report filed for your daughter.”


“My husband said she ran away. He said that since she was 18 she was old enough to take her of her self.”


“Mrs. Rigsby we got the distinct impression that Alice was running away from her stepfather.” Hana saw Jane’s eyebrows rise and pull together, and her lips stretch horizontally, a sign of fear. “Is there a reason that your daughter would want to run away from him?”


“No. Absolutely not. Never.” Saying the same thing in different ways was another sign of lying.


“I think you are hiding something.”


“I have nothing to hide. Now please I would like you to leave.”


“Before go we need to speak to your husband, James. Where is he?” Mars asked.


“At work. Now please go I have nothing else to say.” Jane practically pushed them out the door and slamed it shut.


Outside the apartment building Mars turned to Hana. “What do you think she was hiding?”


“I don’t know, but I have a feeling it has to do with the stepfather.” Mars called the station to get the address of the workplace for James Rigsby.


---


Onyx Hotel, Room 605 - Monday 3:05pm


Hoya is lying down on the bed staring at the card that Hana gave him. Sungyeol comes into the room that they both share. “So it’s official, Sang-Ook hyung says that the concert here is canceled. Also we can’t leave Boston until the case is finished so the one in New York might be canceled or at least postponed.” Hoya listened to what Sungyeol was saying, but really only heard the part where they have to stay in Boston for a while. “Yah! Hoya! Are you listening!?”


Hoya sighed and sat up. “You don’t need to scream.”


“Well you weren’t listening.”


“Yes, I was.”


“Oh really? What did I just say?”


“We have to stay in Boston.”


“Did you hear anything I said about the concerts.”


“Something about it being postponed or canceled.”


“You know what nevermind.” Sungyeol said with a frustrated sigh. He was about get some clean clothes to take a shower when he turned to Hoya again, noticing the card he was staring at. “Why are you so interested in this Hana woman?”


Hoya tried to think of reason. “I honestly have no idea. There is just something about her that makes her different from all the other woman I have met. I feel like she knows me. I know it sounds weird but that’s how I feel.”


“If I were you I would figure it out fast.” Sungyeol looked down for a couple of seconds then looked back at Hoya. “If there is one thing I learned from Woohyun and everything that happened today, if you know how you feel about someone then tell them right away. Because you never know what could happen.”


Hoya knew Sungyeol was right, but he was still not sure about his feelings for Hana. Sure she made him feel different, but did he like her in a romantic way? Hoya knows he is not going to figure it out by sitting in his hotel room. He needs to call Hana and see her in person, but how was he going to do that.

 

Sungyeol walks to the closet to pull out his suitcase so he could take a shower. He takes out a clean shirt and jeans. He is about to close it when he sees something blue in the bottom of his bag. He pulls it out and sees that it is a blue bag with the initials AW. Then Sungyeol remembers that when he and Alice were checking their bags at the airport in London she asked him if she could put this bag in his suitcase. Her suitcase was full with all the souvenirs she has gotten so far on the tour. Sungyeol takes the bag and dumped the contents onto his bed.


Hoya sees this and walks over. “What is this?”


“Alice gave me this bag to put into my suitcase since her’s would not close properly when it was in it.” Hoya saw a red leather bound book among the belongings and picks it up. He turns it over and sees the word ‘Diary’ on it. This gives Hoya an idea.


---


Jame’s Rigsby Garage - Monday 3:32pm


Hana and Mars finally reached the the garage that Alice’s stepfather owned. It was a small garage that had an old rusting jeep in the front. Hana and Mars entered the garage and saw a girl that looked very similar to Alice, but instead of long black hair, she had medium length black hair. Hana was not a fan of coincidences. “Hello, I am Hana Davies and this is detective Rick Mars. May I ask who you are?”


“Lucy Campbell.” The girl said quietly. Hana noticed the girl kept her shoulders hunched over and she barely looked at Hana as she was talking. Lucy was putting up a wall.


“Lucy, do you work here?” Mars asked softly. She nodded yes. “We need to speak to your boss, James Rigsby.” Hana could see fear on Lucy’s face when James was mentioned.


“He...He is out back.” Lucy stuttered and pointed to the backdoor. Hana smiled at Lucy. She and Mars went out the back door to see two men smoking and drinking beers; laughing and having a good time like there is not a care in the world. One was short and not so much fat but definitely had a beer belly. The other was tall and muscular with blonde hair and green eyes.


“James Rigsby?” Mars called.


The two men turned around. “Who’s asking?” The tall man asked.


“Are you James Rigsby?”


“Depends, who are you?”


“I am detective Rick Mars and this is Hana Davies. We came to talk about your daughter Alice.”


“Stepdaughter.” Hana could see that that James’s pupils dilated like the do when a person is aroused. Also his hands automatically dropped to cover in junk. Hana did not like where this was going. James nodded for the other man to leave. “What did she do?”


“What makes you think she did something?”


“That girl has always been causing trouble since me and Jane married. Then two months ago she leaves and I am the one that is left to deal with Jane.”


“I am sorry to inform you, but your daughter was found dead at the Onyx Hotel in Boston.”


“Stepdaughter. Let me guess she was herself to those rich businessmen.” Hana really wanted to kick this guy in the balls.


“For your information your daughter had won a trip to spend time with her favorite kpop group on their world tour. She did not tell you are anyone else because she was afraid of you. Do you know why?” Hana said in an accusing tone.


“I would check your attitude !” Before Mars could step in Hana spoke.


“I wouldn’t be worried about me if I were you.”


“What do you mean?”


“You know what I mean.” Hana looks to the back door. “I notice that the girl in the shop looks a lot like Alice. Is she your type?” James tries to lunge at Hana but Mars gets in the middle.


“Either you calm down or I will take you down to the station.” James takes in a big breath and lets it out. He backs up a bit and leans against the wall.


“Can you tell us where you were in the morning between 5 and 7 am?” Mars asked.


“You think I killed her?”


“We have to ask it is standard procedure.”


“I was at home with my wife. You can ask her. Now I would like it if you would get off my property.”


“Sorry to disturb you.” Before Hana and Mars left the garage Hana gave Lucy her card.


“Call me if you want to talk or need help okay?” Lucy nodded and thanked Hana.  


“What was that about?”


“You didn’t notice that when Alice was mentioned James's pupils grew and his hands covered his junk as if hiding an ?”


“No. Why?”


“I think he was ually abusing Alice, and that girl Lucy looks just like her. I don’t think it’s a coincidence.”

 


A/N: I am sorry that I could not post this chapter last night. School and it's stupid homework got in the way.


Infinite and ice cream! What more could a girl ask for?