Chapter Eight

Shine

 

“So I’ve been seeing Sunggyu around a lot lately.” Hoya stated suspiciously. The dancer was visiting his friend on the set of the actor’s drama, and while hanging by the crew while Myungsoo was filming, Hoya spotted the composer sitting with the director and a few other people.

 

“Not like I’m inviting him places,” Myungsoo shrugged. After hours of filming he finally had a short break while his costar, Suzy, shot a scene with some other actor who was supposed to be Myungsoo’s competition for her. So, while they waited for her to finish the scene so Myungsoo could shoot his last scene for the day, the two friends waited in Myungsoo’s dressing room on the overstuffed couch. “He’s apparently great friends with Changmin and he’s going to write some background music for the show.”

 

“He’s annoying,” Hoya muttered and picked up Myungsoo’s script so he could flip through the pages. “Do you have a kiss scene with Suzy soon?”

 

“If you wanna know watch the show.” Myungsoo laughed and took the script away from his best friend. “I can’t have you selling the show’s secrets. Besides, don’t you have work? Why are you here?”

 

“Day off.” Hoya shrugged, “And you missed me a lot. I can te-oh! A text from Dongwoo.”

 

Myungsoo laughed as Hoya’s fingers flew across his phone. Lately, the dancer would always get overly excited whenever he received a text from Dongwoo. However, after he got a second text from the older, Hoya’s face fell. “What does he want?”

 

“He wants us to go out to dinner since he finally finished writing and recording the cd for Tasty.” Hoya explained while pouting at his phone. “He wants to go out as the six of us. You, me, him, Sungyeol, Woohyun and Sunggyu. He says he wants to celebrate his cd and Woohyun’s new successful song that he just finished promoting in Japan. Apparently he just got back about an hour ago and thinks Dongwoo’s idea of reuniting the old gang is a great idea.”

 

“I forgot he was a singer.” Myungsoo muttered to himself as he got up to check his hair in a nearby mirror. Woohyun was a big deal for sound tracks in both Korea and Japan. He was an amazing ballad singer who had a large army of ahjumma fans all around Asia. And even though he was known as the OST King, he also released his own albums that would rocket to the top of the charts and have many actresses and models hoping to be the star of his music videos.

 

“I say we don’t go.” Hoya decided and began typing, but Myungsoo took the phone away from him. “What?”

 

“Let’s go. It might be nice to get the old gang back together. I mean, if you think about it, we are a pretty amazing group. We were all just a bunch of lazy college students and now, six years later, two of us became composers with number one songs, Yeol’s a nationally known MC, I’m, well, me, you’re getting calls to choreograph for artists all around the world and Woohyun is flying back and forth because two countries want his voice.”

 

“I guess that’s a pretty impressive group.” Hoya shrugged. “But it’s one thing to be nice to that jerk because your director is around, but in your free time too? I don’t like it.”

 

“I know you don’t.” Myungsoo walked back towards his friend and ruffled the dancer’s hair. “But it has been a long time since we’ve seen Woohyun and I like hanging out with Dongwoo. I know you do too. I forgot how funny he was after all this time”

 

Hoya looked up at his friend. “Yeah they’re great. But what about=”

 

“I’m fine with him.” Myungsoo tried to assure his fried. “I’ve gotten over it, Hoya.”

 

Hoya stared at his best friend, as if looking for any trace of a lie in the actor’s eyes. But when he only found the truth, the dancer nodded. “Fine. Let’s go.”

 

That was how, about two hours later after Myungsoo filmed his last scene, Hoya and Myungsoo snuck into the back room of a fancy restaurant in Gangnam.

 

“Omo! Look at what we’ve got here!” Woohyun’s distinct voice greeted them as the singer got up to hug the new arrivals. “It’s been six years and not a single phone call? So rude! And I’ve been such a good fan too, I’ve seen all your dramas.”

 

“Really?” Myungsoo chuckled. Woohyun hadn’t changed one bit, so Myungsoo wasn’t going to treat him any differently than he did in college. “Cause, you know, I’ve been so busy that I’ve been a horrible fan of yours. I haven’t heard a single song. Just been too busy being awesome.”

 

“Come here you brat!” Woohyun managed to capture Myungsoo in a head lock and ruffled his hair. He let go and then turned all his attention to Hoya. “And you! Why have you never offered to choreograph one of my songs?”

 

“You’re a ballad singer, all you do is stand in place.” Hoya retorted and gave Woohyun a quick hug. But when Woohyun didn’t immediately let go, Hoya began to squirm, “Get your greasy hands off of me.”

 

“Come on guys, sit down!” Dongwoo waved them over to the table.

 

Hoya obediently ran to Dongwoo’s side and sat happily. Since Sunggyu was on Dongwoo’s other side, Hoya had to put effort into actually seeing the composer. But Myungsoo wasn’t so lucky and had to sit directly across from his ex, next to Woohyun, with Sungyeol on the singer’s far side.

 

“So Woohyun, I hear you just got back from Japan,” Myungsoo did his best to show the whole table everything was okay. He was sure everyone was sitting there, wondering how he’d react to Sunggyu.

 

Woohyun smiled at the actor, “Yeah I was just promoting. I actually ran into your mother there, she’s my fan. Well, actually she said that I’m handsome and she’s a huge fan.”

 

“That’s just gross.” Myungsoo made a disgusted face. “Please don’t go around saying she’s your ideal type. I do not want to see rumors of you dating my mother.”

 

“Woohyun! You could totally be Myungsoo’s new father!” Sungyeol laughed loudly.

 

“That’s disgusting!” Myungsoo shook his head and tried to get rid of that horrible image from his head. “He’s disgusting!”

 

“Hey! Don’t talk to your father like that.” Woohyun smirked, only to be smacked by Myungsoo a few seconds later. “Wow, talk about an abusive family.”

 

“Come on guys, stop picking on Myung. Let’s order food.” Dongwoo suggested through his laughter.

 

The group got through most of dinner relatively smoothly, talking about what they’ve been doing the past few years or recalling fond memories from when they were in college. Though, everyone was careful to avoid any stories that happened while Myungsoo and Sunggyu were a couple. The two were probably the quietest at the table, but everyone knew they were both naturally quiet people and didn’t think anything of it.

 

“Myungsoo!” Woohyun smacked the actor on the forehead. “I asked how is Jinyoung? Is he living with your guys’ dad right now?”

 

“No, actually my dad is somewhere in France helping a girl group with their concerts there.” Myungsoo answered. “Jinyoung lives here with me and Hoya.”

 

“But you guys are both here so where is he now? Home alone?” Woohyun sounded concerned.

 

“No, he’s with Baro.”

 

“He seems to always be with Baro.” Sunggyu muttered under his breath, but it was clear enough for everyone at the table to hear.

 

“So?” Myungsoo didn’t understand why it was such a big deal to Sunggyu.

 

“Nothing.” Sunggyu took a drink, trying to end the conversation. But everyone else wanted to know what was going on.

 

“No tell me. What’s your problem?” Myungsoo was glaring at Sunggyu.

 

The composer rolled his eyes. “Nothing, it’s just amazing how much a person can change ver time. When we were in college you didn’t leave the kid out of your sight unless he was with your dad or Hoya. Now you’ll just toss him at any guy you’ve been seeing.”

 

“What?” Myungsoo was confused now. “Who said I was seeing anybody?”

 

“I can’t imagine Baro being just a friend to you. You’re leaving your brother alone with him constantly.” Sunggyu was almost yelling while everyone else watched in pure silence. “You and Dongwoo were talking about Baro the other night, calling him so great and whatever. I just think you’ve changed, that’s all.”

 

“Why do you sound like a jealous girl?” Myungsoo stood up angrily. “What does it matter if Baro was someone I was dating? What gives you any right to be mad about that?”

 

“It-it’s nothing.” Sunggyu stood up and began walking to the door.

 

But Myungsoo grabbed his arm. “No, tell me. What gives you any right to act like this and bad mouth someone you don’t know?”

 

Sunggyu stood as tall as he could and glared at the actor. “Leave me alone.”

 

“No!” Myungsoo tightened his grip. “Just tell me who the hell you think you are! What gives you the right to be jealous? You gave up any right to that six years ago when you fell for someone else. You were the one who crushed my heart and broke me and here you are acting like you own me or something. You’re a bastard Kim Sunggyu. You left me for someone else, you don’t get to be mad.”

 

Sunggyu muttered something under his breath.

 

“What the hell did you just say?” Myungsoo was yelling, not caring if people outside the room could hear him. “Stop being such a weak minded man and tell me! Grow a pair and talk to me face to face. What the hell do you think gives a bastard like you any right to get mad at me? Or are you too busy thinking of finding someone else already? Gonna replace me as a friend now, too? Because that’s all you do, huh? Replace people and cheat on people like a . Is that why you’re not with anyone right now? Is that why you lost that you left me for? Did you cheat on them too?”

 

“I said there was never anybody else!” Sunggyu cut him off angrily, but immediately covered his mouth and froze after he realized what he just said.

 

“What do you mean there was never anybody else?”

 

But Sunggyu didn’t answer. He just ran.