Chapter Five

Shine

 

“I don’t wanna be here.” Myungsoo pouted as he stood outside Infinite Music next to his best friend. “You go sing it.”

 

“Stop complaining.” Hoya pushed his friend towards the door. “You know you have to go anyways so stop standing here and get inside. You’re gonna be late soon.”

 

“Fine.” Myungsoo grabbed Hoya’s arm and pulled him along. “You’re not allowed to leave me for a second. Yo-“

 

“Myungsoo? Hoya?” A voice Myungsoo no longer recognized called out to the two as they got into the elevator.

 

Myungsoo could hear Hoya gasp as a handsome man ran into the elevator just before the door closed. “Dongwoo?”

 

The man was practically staring at Hoya, “What are you doing here?”

 

“Myungsoo is recording.” Hoya pointed out as the elevator went up to the seventh floor. “Do you work here?”

 

“Yeah, I work here.” Dongwoo nodded. It was almost as if both Hoya and Dongwoo both forgot Myungsoo’s existence. “I write songs her-“

 

“I know you write songs.” Hoya immediately turned red after that. “I mean I choreographed a dance of a remix of one of your songs for an idol group for one of those year end shows. I was shocked when I saw your name on it, but I never knew what company you worked for.”

 

“You choreograph for idols?” Dongwoo asked as they walked out of the elevator.

 

“Yeah, you ever hear of Howon?” Hoya followed Dongwoo, giving Myungsoo no choice but to hide behind the two so that Sunggyu’s crazy secretary wouldn’t jump on him.

 

“That’s you?” Dongwoo seemed surprised. After all the name Howon was big in the industry known for strong, precise choreography, especially for hip hop songs. However, if you never worked directly with Howon than you most likely didn’t know what he looked like.

 

“Yeah, it’s my real name.” Hoya commented. “I didn’t want so many people to know the name I go by because then they think we’re like great friends and start asking for favors and try to make me choreograph fluff songs.”

 

“Hoya.” Myungsoo pulled on his friend’s sleeve like a child. “You guys can catch up later. I’m late.”

 

“Oh yeah.” Hoya seemed to suddenly remember the reason he was there. “Do you maybe want to-“

 

“Of course.” Dongwoo whipped his phone out. “I got a new number since college and I’m guessing you did too. Would you maybe want to switch-“

 

“Yeah.” Hoya smiled and got his own phone out.

 

Once they left Dongwoo, Myungsoo felt a little bit proud of himself. If it wasn’t for him, Dongwoo and Hoya would have probably never met up again. Myungsoo never had anything against Dongwoo, the just fell apart because the only thing they had in common back then was Sunggyu and Hoya. So once Sunggyu was no longer something they shared and Hoya got upset at how easily Dongwoo disregarded Myungsoo’s feelings, there was nothing in common anymore. But there was always a part of Myungsoo that looked back and wished Dongwoo and Hoya stayed friends just because Dongwoo was a great friend to Hoya. Now maybe the two could be friends again.

 

Myungsoo was so proud of himself actually that he forgot why he was in the building until he and Hoya ended up in front of the door that led to Sunggyu’s studio. The door was open, so he instantly saw the one person he wanted to forget.

 

“Hoya?” Sunggyu was clearly surprised when the two walked in.

 

“There you are, Myungsoo!  We thought you got lost.” Changmin was sitting in a chair nearby. “I just got off the phone with Yunho and he apparently has no faith in your ability to find your way here.”

 

“No, I just ran into an old friend.” Myungsoo shrugged.

 

“Is this him?” Changmin stood up and offered his hand to Hoya. “Hi, I’m Shim Changmin, I’m the director of Myungsoo’s drama.”

 

“I’m Myungsoo’s old friend, Hoya.” The dancer smiled, “But not the one he just ran into. We’re actually roommates.”

 

“Oh, well hello Hoya, what are you doing here?”

 

“Moral support.” Hoya slashed the director a smile. “So, we should let Myungsoo get started. The faster we’re out of here, the better.”

 

“Alright then,” It was clear Sunggyu was startled by Hoya’s appearance. “Do you have all your notes, Myungsoo?”

 

“O course.” Myungsoo walked into the recording studio. “I’m a professional.”

 

“Hoya,” Sunggyu turned to him quietly so as to not catch Changmin’s attention. “You grew up well.”

 

“Thanks. You’re looking good too,” Hoya replied feeling slightly spiteful, “I guess.”

 

Sunggyu sighed, he deserved this kind of treatment from Myungsoo, but he used to think he and Hoya were good friends. But after the break up, Hoya’s deep loyalty for the actor came out and he stuck with Myungsoo through everything. So, Sunggyu was going to try to be nice to Hoya because he didn’t want to do anything else to make these two hate him even more. “Here, you can have these if you want follow along.”

 

Hoya accepted the sheets of music even though he already knew the lyrics. When he got home from work, he could always hear Myungsoo practicing the song in the bathroom or while he was cooking. The actor was attached to the song, there was no denying it.

 

Before Myungsoo could actually record, Sunggyu spent an hour going over the song again. Even though Myungsoo wanted to hate Sunggyu, he also wanted to show the older how much better he’s been without the compost in his life. He wanted Sunggyu to look at him and go, “Wow, I’m so mad at myself for dumping Mungsoo”. So Myungsoo did his best to take all of Sunggyu’s notes to heart and excel at the song.

 

“Myungsoo, have you ever lost a lover?” Changmin suddenly asked out of the blue.

 

The three other men in the room stared at the director for a moment with wide eyes. No one was sure how to respond to that.

 

Changmin noticed something was off, but he had a different idea of why he was receiving funny looks. “Oh, you don’t have to tell me any details, I won’t tell the press. It’s just a part of me feels like you’re singing the words but not feeling the lyrics. When you act, it truly feels like you’re that person feeling the same thing they are. But right now it’s just like a singer singing a song. So maybe if you let yourself feel something, the song will be more powerful.”

 

Myungsoo understood, “I guess I could. Yeah.”

 

But for the next hour or so, it wasn’t working. He couldn’t bring himself to look weak in front of Sunggyu. If he made it seem like he was missing someone, Sunggyu would get the satisfaction that even six years later he was in Myungsoo’s head.

 

Luckily after a frustrating hour, Hoya realized what was stopping his best friend from displaying his emotions. “I have an idea.” The dancer stood up. “I think Myungsoo is feeling self conscious since he doesn’t know you two very well. Is it possible to get Dongwoo in here? He’s an old friend and maybe Myungsoo will feel less judged if it’s just the three of us.”

 

“That’s a great idea!” Changmin smiled even though Sunggyu looked disappointed.

 

But the composer went with it. “Let me get Dongwoo.”

 

After getting the other composer and explaining to Dongwoo how everything was supposed to sound, Sunggyu and Changmin stepped out of the studio.

 

“Myung.” Hoya stepped into the booth so it was just the two of them. “I know singing is harder than acting because these are your feelings, not an imaginary character’s. but if you keep hiding from these feelings, they’ll stay. You’ve got to face them to try and get over them. Maybe that was the problem all along. You tried to forget something early impossible to forget. You just need to face these feelings and, well, feel better about them.”

 

“You’re the worse pep talk giver ever.” Myungsoo pushed at his friend.

 

“You ready?” Dongwoo asked him the studio as Hoya fell into the seat next to him.

 

Myungsoo took a deep breath. He had spent so long trying to repress any feelings of sadness or missing Sunggyu that bringing the feelings back felt wrong. But just thinking of Sunggyu waiting outside the door made it a little easier.


As the music started, Myungsoo started to let himself think of all the questions he had about Sunggyu for the past years. How was Sunggyu? Was he really in love with someone else? Did he ever get over his fear of singing in front of people? Did he even think of Myungsoo? Did he even love Myungsoo back then? Was he eating enough? Did he get enough sleep at night? Had he really moved on?


Just like the first time he stood on stage in college, when the song was over Myungsoo couldn’t recall anything. It was such a rush of adrenaline, and this time a rush of feelings as well, that made Myungsoo’s blood rush and the only thing he could hear was the sound of his heart pounding in his chest.

 

“Are you crying?”

 

Myungsoo looked out into the booth just in time to see Dongwoo wipe at his eyes and leave the room. “Was I that bad?”

 

“No, you were amazing.” Hoya went into the booth and hugged his friend. “Truly amazing.”

 

Myungsoo was slightly surprised, but hugged his friend back.

 

“Was it that good?” Changmin asked as he came in with Sunggyu.

 

“Dongwoo said it was amazing.” Sunggyu said as he sat down and started playing with switches and knobs on the sound board.

 

The actor shrugged, “I don’t know. I just finished and he kind of ran off.”

 

“Here, let’s listen.” Sunggyu suggested and turned the song on.

 

The actor was surprised. He had never heard his voice sound so emotional before. And he knew Sunggyu was just as surprised. Myungsoo wasn’t sure, but for a second he thought he saw tears in Sunggyu’s eyes. But then the composer looked up and Myungsoo realized there were no tears in them.

 

“Myungsoo?” Sunggyu got the actor’s attention when the song was over. “That was amazing.”

 

“It really was.” Changmin was smiling brightly. “This is exactly what we needed.”

 

“Thanks.” Myungsoo smiled at the compliments.

 

“You were really amazing.” Sunggyu commented again.

 

The actor suddenly didn’t feel as helpless as before. Sunggyu wasn’t the only one who grew up since their break up, Myungsoo finally felt like he had grown up as well. He didn’t know if it was because he conquered the song or if it was the look of amazement that was in Sunggyu’s eyes. Maybe it was both.

 

Either way, Myungsoo managed to smile at Sunggyu.

 

 

 

 

 

haha cute Yadong~ anyways. so i want to start another story i think and i have a lot of ideas for pairings and stuff so i decided to do a poll. if you'd like a say in another fic just go here  and vote! each pairing comes with two different plots so if you want to choose one after choosing a pairing pleaaase comment. [for example like next to MinKey it says Key!centric VS Baby Yoogeun. so if you want a key!centric fic comment that. or if you want one with Yoogeun, comment that.] i just want to know what you guys would like^^

or if you don't want to go over to the other page i'll post the poll right here, but i would really like to know which plot people like better