Chapter Three

Shine

 

“Where are you doing?” Myungsoo asked when Hoya came out of his room in nice jeans and a nice jacket. While Hoya owned nice clothes, he generally didn’t wear them much because he spent most of his time sweating in a dance studio. But right now, the dancer looked ready to go to a club or something.

 

Hoya shrugged, “Just out shopping. I need new shoes. I’m thinking purple.”

 

Myungsoo rolled his eyes. Even after growing up, Hoya had an odd obsession with the color “Don’t you have enough shoes?”

 

“Can never have to many shoes,” Hoya laughed while putting on a pair of black shoes he normally only wore to special events. “What about you? What are you doing home?”

 

“I’m just waiting for Yunho so he can take me to the recording studio.” Myungsoo replied, explaining why he was just sitting on the couch, flipping through tv channels.

 

Hoya seemed to perk up at that, “Already? I thought that wasn’t until the weekend?”

 

“It got pushed up. The director really wants me to get this song down as fast as possible so I’m going to go in today to work on it with the composer to make sure the song fits my vocal range and stuff like that.” Myungsoo explained.

 

“Do you want me to go with you?” Hoya asked, his attention no longer focused on just getting out the door. “I’m a choreographer, I’m great with music.”

 

The actor shook his head, “No, you’ll probably get bored if you’re just sitting there for hours. I’ve been told it’ll take a while to finish up everything today. Luckily it’s my only schedule though.”

 

Hoya looked like there was something else he wanted to say, but when his phone buzzed, the dancer just sighed, “Alright, but if you need anything just let me know. I won’t be very busy.”

 

Myungsoo waved him off and resumed flipping through the channels until Yunho arrived, only to rush him into the van.

 

Not even an hour later, Myungsoo found himself at a large building for a music company called Infinite Music. According to Yunho, this place was one of the best companies in all of Korea for producing music. They could write anything from an upbeat pop song to a hip hop song to the most heard breaking ballad, and everything in between. But Myungsoo honestly didn’t listen to much recent music since he was so busy and there were so many new groups debuting.

 

“Myungsoo!” Changmin’s growingly familiar voice greeted the actor when he walked into the building. Myungsoo was currently by himself since Yunho had a meeting to attend, so the actor was excited to find a familiar face.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“I thought it would be best if I accompanied you to make sure everything goes smoothly,” Changmin smiled, “Plus the composer is a good friend of mine who I’ve been too busy to see. So this seems like a great time to drop in on him.”

 

“Is this guy any good?” Myungsoo asked as they got into the elevator to go to the seventh floor.

 

“He’s amazing.” Changmin sounded like a big fan. “He writes the most amazing ballads that part of me wishes this drama was more heartbreaking so we could have asked for an emotional, heart wrenching ballad that’d make people cry.”

 

“That’s oddly sadistic of you.” Myungsoo chuckled as the doors opened up.

 

It was a very nice lobby with golden marble floors and sleek black walls. whoever ran this place sure was doing well financially, there was no doubt about it. Maybe after this Myungsoo would look up the composer to listen to more of their songs.

 

“Hi Changmin,” the secretary recognized the director. “Oh! You’re Kim Myungsoo, aren’t you?”

 

Myungsoo nodded awkwardly. In the business most people hid their excitement to keep a sense of professionalism. But this secretary didn’t seem to care.

 

“Hi,” She came around the desk. “I’m Dasom. Are you here to sing a song?”

 

Once again, Myungsoo just nodded. He had no clue how he was supposed to react to this woman. She had pretty much forgot Changmin’s existence by now. “Oh! You must be our one o’clock! Follow me to the studio, please. You know I saw your recent drama and-“

 

“Dasom, Myungsoo is a busy man, we need to get to the studio as quick as possible.” Changmin came to the rescue.

 

The secretary gave a pout, but nodded and took them down a few halls until they reached a bright, white door where she knocked, “Your one o’clock is here.”

 

When the door opened, Myungsoo’s stomach dropped. All he could see was a normal recording studio, but he just had a really bad feeling about this and not a clue why.

 

“Good luck, Myungsoo oppa,” Dasom smiled before almost skipping off.

 

“Seems like you got a fan,” Changmin chuckled before walking in. “Hey! Long time no see.”

 

“Changmin! Glad you could make it.”

 

Suddenly Myungsoo knew why he had such a feeling of dread. He recognized that voice, it was impossible to forget. A rush of his life six years ago came back to him, when that voice used to whisper cute things in his ear and sing to him when he felt nervous. It was the same voice that, once in a blue moon, haunted Myungsoo’s dreams at night.

 

“Myungsoo.” Changmin appeared, “Come in, there’s someone you have to meet.”

 

“No.” Myungsoo immediately retorted before shaking his head. “I mean yeah.”

 

The director just chuckled and pulled Myungsoo into the room.

 

“Here he is,” Changmin smiled brightly, dragging the actor to stand right in front of the composer. “Myungsoo, this is Kim Sunggyu. And Sunggyu, this is Kim Myungsoo. He has an amazing voice, you will not be disappointed.”

 

“Hi, it’s nice to meet you.” Sunggyu held his hand out like they had never met before, a small smile on his face.

 

“Hi.” The actor retorted coldly, but didn’t shake the elder’s hand. He felt himself slip into his old habit of being L and acting cold to anyone who wasn’t a friend.

 

Sunggyu’s smile faded as he dropped his hand, “Well, I guess it’s time to get to work. Give me a moment to get the music.”

 

As Sunggyu looked through his files, Changmin gave Myungsoo a weird look. “Are you okay?”

 

“Great.”  Myungsoo lied. He didn’t want to be here. Not with him.

 

When Sunggyu handed over the newly completed lyrics, Myungsoo looked over them and wanted to laugh at how absurd everything was. The lyrics talked about missing someone. What did Sunggyu know about missing anyone, let alone human feelings? The guy was a jerk who had no thoughts towards other people or their feelings. Though maybe Sunggyu was missing the he left Myungsoo for. Even though it was mean, Myungsoo really wished that whoever Sunggyu left him for left the composer, just so Sunggyu knew what it was like to get his heart crushed into a million pieces. Myungsoo wanted someone to hurt Sunggyu like Sunggyu hurt him.

 

“Have you listened to the track?” Sunggyu asked tentatively, as if afraid Myungsoo would snap at him.

 

“Of course.” Myungsoo rolled his eyes. He was a professional and he promised Changmin he’d sing the song. That meant he had to learn it because he wasn’t someone who broke a promise. Though at the moment he really wished he was the kind of person who could easily walk away from a promise so he could turn his back on Sunggyu and never see the composer again.

 

“Great.” Sunggyu seemed to realize the younger wasn’t going to be responsive today. “Shall we begin?”

 

Myungsoo did his best to not shut Sunggyu out completely since he really needed to learn the song, but it was difficult. He didn’t want to be there at all and could easily imagine himself hiding under his covers once he got home.

 

Luckily, Changmin had stayed most of the time and, even if he didn’t know it, acted as Myungsoo’s anchor. If the director wasn’t there, Myungsoo was sure he would have just yelled at Sunggyu, maybe punch the older, and storm out like a drama queen. But he couldn’t do any of that since Changmin was watching.

 

But when it was time to leave, Changmin realized he was late for something and bolted from the studio, leaving the two exes behind.

 

“Myungsoo, ca-“ Sunggyu started, only to be cut off.

 

“It’s L.” Myungsoo felt rage flowing through his blood. Did Sunggyu think just because it’s been a few years that he could talk so casually? “I thought I told you already, you have no right to call me Myungsoo.”

 

Sunggyu looked lost, but it was obvious from the look in his eyes he remembered when Myungsoo said that to him. “Sorry. L, I just wanted to say your voice has really improved. So how’ve you been?”

 

“What do you care?” Myungsoo practically spat at the older as he put his jacket on. “You didn’t seem to care for me six years ago, so why start now? I’ll see you for the final recording, and then we’re done.”

 

“L!” Sunggyu managed to grab the younger’s arm before he could storm off. “Can I talk to you for just a minute?”

 

“No, you cannot.” Myungsoo pulled his arm away. “I don’t want to talk to you. I want to leave right now and I am going to.” But right before he left, Myungsoo had to ask one question because he knew it would be bothering him. “Are you seeing anyone right now?”

 

“What?” Sunggyu looked surprised at the question. “What’s it matter?”

 

Myungsoo rolled his eyes. Sunggyu was probably still with that . “You’re right, it doesn’t. Forget I asked.”