Chapter Eleven

Shine

 

“No Hyung, I don’t want to talk about him.” Jinyoung raised his voice at his brother once they arrived back at their apartment. “Come on Baro, let’s go to my room.”

 

Baro looked between the two brothers and shifted awkwardly, “I don’t know Jin, maybe I should go home.”

 

“No, it’s fine. Hyung and I have nothing to talk about.” Jinyoung sent his brother a glare and pulled his best friend to his bedroom.

 

Myungsoo sighed and collapsed onto the couch next to Hoya, who watched the entire scene silently. “I don’t know what I’m going to do with that kid.”

 

“What happened?” Hoya turned the tv off, realizing this was probably going to be a serious conversation by the look on Myungsoo’s face.

 

“We ran into Sunggyu while shopping.” Myungsoo explained, “And while Jinyoung still had no clue who he was, Baro has a scary good memory and ended up recognizing Sunggyu. Then, when Jinyoung realized who he was, he started yelling about how much he hates Sunggyu and how he needs to go away and before he could go any further I shut him up because people were starting to stare.”

 

It was hard for Hoya to believe that Jinyoung could yell at Sunggyu. When the boy was younger,  Jinyoung would run up to Sunggyu for hugs, cling onto him like a koala bear, and beg the composer to sing him a lullaby at night. It was completely strange to think that now when he saw the man who used to be one of his favorite people, he screamed. “What did Sunggyu say?”

 

“He didn’t get a chance to say anything, I had to get Jinyoung out of there.” Myungsoo sighed and rubbed at his eyes. “I wish he’d have said something. I don’t know what he’s thinking.”

 

“He’s probably sad, but he’s Sunggyu, he probably understands.” Hoya gave the actor a soft smile. “But right now I don’t think Sunggyu is your biggest problem. I mean, even if he’s sad or turns away, I’m sure you’d be able to convince him to come back if that’s what you want. Your problem is that if he does come back, Jinyoung is going to react the same way.”

 

“It’s like his mom all over again,” Myungsoo sighed, remembering how when Jinyoung was five his mom came into town and Jinyoung was sweet and seemed to like her until she said something that made the child think she was taking him away from his father and he freaked out on her and now, years later, Jinyoung has yet to talk to her again.

 

“Yeah, and we both know how that turned out.” Hoya stood up from the couch and ruffled Myungsoo’s hair, “You go talk to him, I’m going to make food.”

 

Myungsoo slowly made his way to his brother’s room and rested his ear on the door, trying to listen to what was going on in the room, but all he heard were sounds from a video game.

 

Before Myungsoo could knock, he heard a knocking coming from the front door. So he temporarily gave up in order to answer the door.

 

Right as the door opened, the person on the other side pushed Myungsoo deeper into the apartment so he could come in and quickly slam the door behind him. It took the famous actor a moment to focus on what was going on, but by the time he did, Woohyun started shouting at him.

 

“How can you let your brother talk to Sunggyu like that? And in public, do you have any idea how humiliated he was?” Woohyun was glaring at Myungsoo like it was the actor who said all of those bad things.

 

And as much as Myungsoo knew what his brother did was wrong, he did not like the way that Woohyun was accusing his brother. “Oh and like the way Sunggyu broke up with me years ago in public was any different?”

 

“That’s in the past, besides, aren’t you over it now that you know better?” Woohyun stated, as if it was the obvious conclusion.

 

Myungsoo rolled his eyes, “Oh yeah because the six years I suffered through were nothing. Despite knowing that information now Woohyun, it still hurts. Do you know how hard it was for not just me, but Jinyoung too, to lose Sunggyu, you and Dongwoo in one go? I was in love with someone for the first time ever and he abandoned me, insulted me, and took my friends away. Just because I know now doesn’t make all of that pain go away. It’s not like he went back in time and erased all that pain, anger, and depression I felt when he left. And what gives you the right to yell about Jinyoung like that? After Sunggyu broke up with me did you ever think to visit him? Did you ever think that Jinyoung had no clue what was going on but you guys no longer showed up and I spent my days either at work or bawling my eyes out? You didn’t even say bye to him or explain what was going on. He was only six! So obviously he’s  going to hate Sunggyu, but guess what, I’m sure he hates you too!”

 

Woohyun had no answer for Myungsoo, the actor was sure because the singer had gone quiet and looked apologetic rather than angry. “I didn-“

 

“No you didn’t think. You weren’t thinking six years ago when you abandoned me and my brother, and you didn’t think now when you came over to yell at him for yelling at the man who caused him pain. And no, I hadn’t told Jinyoung that Sunggyu broke up with me because I was becoming famous because he’s forgotten about Sunggyu. And if he knew I was running into Sunggyu all the time then that would remind him of what happened so I figured there’d be no point of telling him. So today was the first time in six years he’s seen or even thought of the jerk who left him and made his brother cry.” Myungsoo was angry now. Why was Woohyun here making him and Jinyoung look like the bad guys? In reality telling the truth now didn’t make up for what happened. It didn’t make all that pain and doubt disappear. “So Woohyun, I really don’t care if Sunggyu felt embarrassed today.”

 

“I’m sorry,” Woohyun sighed and rubbed at his eyes. “It’s just, for the past six years Sunggyu just works. And lately he’s been smiling and he’s just changed. I know it’s due to you, I mean I think it’s always been you on his mind, but seeing you again made him change into a happier person.”

 

“He’s been thinking about me?” Myungsoo felt surprised.

 

Woohyun nodded, “I don’t think he’s ever stopped. He’s watched every drama and movie you’ve ever been in, he buys from companies you endorse, I think he could be one of your biggest fans.”

 

“I’ll talk to Jinyoung,” Myungsoo assured Woohyun, “I’ll try and tell him everything and make him calm down, but I can’t make any promises.”

 

“That’s all Sunggyu wants,” Woohyun sighed, “He’s missed the kid, too. He doesn’t come out and say it, but I can tell by the way he looks at other kids. It’s obvious.”

 

“Jinyoung won’t admit it, but he misses Sunggyu on occasion.” Myungsoo smiled softly, “He’s still got the stuffed animal Sunggyu gave him for his birthday even though he got rid of the dragon stuffed animal he used to love.”

 

Woohyun awkwardly shifted his weight around, “Well, I guess I’d better go then. I’m sorry for, well, this, and everything. I didn’t even think back then about not talking to you anymore because I was so caught up taking care of Sunggyu. He didn’t take it well at all. But do you think maybe in a few weeks after everything dies down, we could hang out just the two of us? I’ve missed hanging out with you.”

 

“Yeah, I’d like that.”