Chapter Four

Shine

 

Myungsoo called Yunho as soon as he stepped out of the building. The manager was still at the meeting and told Myungsoo to wait in the lobby or something, but Myungsoo didn’t want to. He had to get out of that building to escape all chances of seeing that man again. So, he pulled up his hood and made his way to the nearest subway station.

 

Luckily, he only got caught when his stop was near, so he was able to give the crows of girls a small wave before bolding out of the train. After that it was only a five minute walk to his apartment.

 

“Hey Myung, how’d the song go?” Hoya asked when the actor burst into the dancer’s room.

 

 But Myungsoo didn’t give him a verbal response. Instead he collapsed silently onto Hoya’s bed and curled himself into the purple blankets.

 

“Myung?” Hoya carefully shook the other.

 

“Sunggyu.” Myungsoo muttered. “The composer is Sunggyu.”

 

Hoya gave him a sad sigh, “Myung, that was six years ago. I thought you were over him.”

 

Myungsoo lifted himself onto his elbows and glared at Hoya, “What’s that supposed to mean?”

 

“Nothing bad,” Hoya remained calm and collected under his friend’s glare, “I just mean it’s been six years since you’ve even seen him. I kind of assumed you just forgot about him.”

 

“Honestly, I thought I did, too.” Myungsoo admitted and rested his head back on the bed. “I haven’t actually thought about him in a long time. But I heard his voice today and I kind of freaked out.”

 

Hoya sat up straight in alarm, “Did you hit him?”

 

The actor gave a small chuckle and shook his head. “I couldn’t, Changmin was there. But I definitely wasn’t nice. I just couldn’t bring myself to be nice to him. I was probably civil at best.”

 

“Do you still love him?”

 

Myungsoo buried his head into Hoya’s blankets, but the dancer could still make out his muffled talk. “No. But I hate him.”

 

“Do you really?”

 

“I want to.” Myungsoo confessed in a voice so quiet a small part of Hoya thought it could have come from his imagination. But then Myungsoo spoke again after a short silence, “I really want to.”

 

“I’m sorry.” Hoya ran his fingers though his best friend’s hair, “If it makes you feel any better, I want you to hate him, too.”

 

“Do you think he’s still dating that ?” Myungsoo looked up at Hoya with wide, sad eyes. They were definitely the definition of puppy dog eyes and Hoya hated looking at them because they just looked so sad. Eyes that sad did not belong on his best friend.

 

But all he could do was shrug, “I don’t know. I doubt that they’re great whoever it is. There’s no way they’re as amazing as you. And if they are together, I hope they’re making Sunggyu miserable.”

 

“Me too.” Myungsoo giggled lightly. He liked that Hoya agreed with him instead of calling him childish or slightly sadistic. “I don’t want to go back, Hoya. Just seeing him changes me from a charismatic actor all of Korea wants to a helpless eighteen year old he left behind. No matter what he said to me today, I just remembered him at the café calling me stupid and telling me that he found someone better than me. I mean he looks different now, he’s grown up a lot and seems less shy. But I can’t get that day out of my head. Ever since I saw him, that scene just replays itself over and over again.”

 

“I’ll go with you this weekend, okay?” Hoya pulled Myungsoo close so the actor could snuggle into his chest. “I’ll give that old jerk a piece of my mind.”

 

“No, we have to be civil,” Myungsoo chuckled at his friend’s attitude. “I think Changmin plans on going again.”

 

“Stupid director.”Hoya pouted. “But did you see anyone else there?”

 

Myungsoo shook his head, “Just some secretary who was in love with me.”

 

“Oh.” Hoya sounded a little disappointed.

 

Myungsoo suddenly felt bad. After his break up with Sunggyu, Myungsoo quickly drifted away from Woohyun and Dongwoo since they mostly hung out with Sunggyu. But when the two so easily chose Sunggyu’s side and wouldn’t even consider Myungsoo’s side of things, Hoya cut off all ties with the two, despite his close friendship with Dongwoo. Looking back, sometimes Myungsoo wondered if Hoya had started to develop feelings for Dongwoo before everything went downhill. After all the two hung out together quite often and became really close, really quickly. But Hoya never brought it up so Myungsoo never asked.

 

“Hyung?” Jinyoung called out, ending the serious conversation between the two friends.  The boy must have just gotten back from school and his arrival had Myungsoo jumping up into a sitting position and wiping his face. Even though Myungsoo hadn’t cried, he felt like he had to wipe all the sadness away from his face. Jinyoung had been there when Myungsoo was at his lowest point after the break up and the child had been so confused and worried about his brother that he didn’t sleep for days. Myungsoo didn’t want him to ever have to worry about him like that again.

 

“Jinyoung! Come to Hoya’s room!” Myungsoo called back, trying his best to smile before the boy even got in the room.

 

The twelve year old walked into Hoya’s room and when he saw the two adults sitting on the bed, he smiled and found a free spot between them to lay down. “Why aren’t you guys at work?”

 

“Just got the day off,” Myungsoo replied, “And Hoya has work later. How was school today?”

 

“It was alright,” Jinyoung shrugged. “I think this kid in my class likes me, but I can’t understand what he says. He tried saying something to me, but he has an accent because he’s from Busan and I just didn’t understand him. He should come with subtitles.”

 

Hoya and Myungsoo both burst out into laughter. “Did you know Hoya’s from Busan? Yeah, when he’s at home with his parents he still speaks in dialect.”

 

“No, Mom never spoke in dialect.” Jinyoung pouted, referring to Hoya’s mother who used to look after him a lot.

 

Hoya chuckled some more and patted the preteen on the head, “That’s because if she spoke in dialect with you, you’d never understand her.”

 

“Anyways back to the bigger part here. Why do you think he likes you?” Myungsoo asked before realizing what he just said, “Wait, do you even like boys?”

 

Jinyoung shrugged, “I don’t know if I do. I’m still a kid I don’t think I really like anyone right now. But this guy always shares his food with me ever since he got here a week ago.”

 

“Maybe he just wants to be your friend,” Myungsoo ruffled his brother’s hair. “You should just be friends with him.”

 

“Of course, Appa says I’m too young to date anyways.” Jinyoung shrugged. “But he is kind of cute.”

 

After a few more minutes of talking, Jinyoung ran off to go to homework, leaving the two best friends alone. Hoya regretfully got off the bed to start getting dressed for work, but Myungsoo just sat there, staring off into space.

 

“It’s so weird. Jinyoung’s already getting to the age where people fall in love for the first time.” Myungsoo commented while Hoya searched for clothes to wear.

 

“He can’t stay a baby forever,” Hoya pointed out. “But I can say I’m surprised he is taking a boy liking him so well. Most kids his age would freak out I think.”

 

“I’m honestly happy he’s even considering dating.” Myungsoo sighed, “Don’t you remember when he finally connected the dots to Sunggyu disappearing and me crying? He told me he was never gonna date anyone and that he and me were going to grow old together.”

 

Hoya smiled fondly at the memory, “But that was six years ago. He seems to have forgotten and moved on.”

 

Myungsoo turned a sharp glare at his friend, “Wow. You set that one up real good. Telling me I should move on because Jinyoung has.”

 

“I didn’t mean it like that.” Hoya defended himself with a chuckle. “But you’re right. Jinyoung has forgotten, so why can’t you just forget and move on? You should see this song as your chance to close the door on all feelings and thoughts you’ve ever had about him.”

 

“If only it were that simple.”