Chapter Seventeen

Shine

“What the hell are you doing?” Myungsoo yelled after he pushed Sunggyu away, harshly. “You can’t just kiss me like that! Th-tha-that-what the hell was that?”

 

Sunggyu looked just as confused as Myungsoo felt. His eyes were wide, his mouth slightly open, and he just looked all around confused about what just happened. “I don’t know.”

 

“You don’t know?” Myungsoo was more upset about that answer than the actual kiss. “Seriously? What makes you think you can just play with me like I’m-I’m- some kind of plaything?”

 

“That’s not what I meant Myung,” Sunggyu grabbed Myungsoo’s arm so the younger couldn’t go away. “Can you just wait a second before you go crazy or run away? I just need a moment to think.”

 

Myungsoo wasn’t sure why, but he stood still and waited for Sunggyu to give him some kind of answer. He almost didn’t want to hear Sunggyu’s explanation, but he knew he had to. It was obvious to him now that all the battling going on in his head was his head trying to convince his heart to stop feeling the way it does whenever Sunggyu was near. He was too afraid something would go wrong.

 

When Sunggyu didn’t say anything, Myungsoo sighed. He was going to force answers out if Sunggyu wasn’t going to offer them. “Did you write that song Woohyun just sang?”

 

Sunggyu nodded shyly, “Yeah.”

 

“Is it about me?”

 

The older man nodded once again, “Yeah.”

 

“And Shine,” Myungsoo said, referring to the song Sunggyu wrote for the drama. “You said Shine was written for no one and was only special because it was your 100th song. Is that true? Or was that a lie?”

 

The composer took a deep breath. “It was a lie. That song was for you. But the song was the truth. Ever since then you’re all I could think about. I have a hard drive at home that’s filled with all your interviews, I have every magazine you did a photo shoot for, and you singing Shine is even my ringtone. There hasn’t been a day that I haven’t thought about you.”

 

“Then why did you leave me like that?” Myungsoo muttered as he sat down on a nearby bench. For some reason, it just felt harder to breathe all of the sudden. “I know you said you didn’t want to hold me back, but why didn’t you come back sooner?”

 

“I was hoping to become a better man.” Sunggyu resisted the urge to go sit next to Myungsoo. He could easily tell what Myungsoo was feeling, the boy hadn’t changed much since their college days. Still unsure of himself. Still somewhat shy even if he pretended not to be. “My plan back then was to become in a position where I’d be famous and have lots of money so I’d be able to live in the same apartment complex as you and get a car with all the tinted windows so we’d be able to see each other all the time without worrying about the paparazzi.”


“You thought of things like that?” Myungsoo looked up at the older, surprised. Sure it wasn’t what most people thought of when they thought of growing up with someone – usually people went with the white picket fence, two kids and a dog scenario – but for the life of someone always in the spotlight, having someone close to home with the ability to stay hidden from the paparazzi sounded amazing.

 

“Of course.” Sunggyu decided now was a better time to sit next to Myungsoo since the younger had a less confused look on his face. “Honestly, I’ve had fantasies like that ever since you walked in on me at the piano.”

 

Myungsoo laughed, “Oh I remember that. You were singing. I think that’s the only time I’ve ever heard you sing.”

 

The older shook his head, “No, that wasn’t the only time. I sang to you in the café when you were trying to decide if you wanted to be an actor. You asked me to and I thought you were crazy because the baristas were still in there and you know how much I hate singing in front of people.”

 

“Did you remember that first night we went out to the club?” Myungsoo chuckled, it felt nice to remember the old times - back when they were happy. “It was my first time out clubbing and getting drunk. When I got home I nearly woke Jinyoung up because I wasn’t thinking straight. But whenever I think back to that time, I have to admit, I’m happy my first time was with you. I didn’t feel as awkward because you were just as awkward as me, if not more.”

 

“Yeah, that was a good night.” Sunggyu joined in the laughter. “We had great times, didn’t we?”

 

“We did.” Myungsoo couldn’t get the smile off of his face. He was so used to looking back and only thinking about how Sunggyu crushed him that he almost forgot all the great times they had an the reason he fell in love with the older way back in college. “Do you remember that song?”

 

“Which?” Sunggyu decided to try his luck by taking one of Myungsoo’s hands in his own.

 

The actor froze momentarily at the warm feeling of Sunggyu’s hand, but then answered, “The one you were singing when I first heard your voice.”

 

“Just a small song I was trying to write back then.” Sunggyu slid slightly closer to Myungsoo, “I actually rewrote it after we split because you were the best inspiration I could hope for. But it’s been years-“

 

“Come on.” Myungsoo stood up and pulled Sunggyu up by their connected hands. He then pulled the composer through the halls until they reached the lobby of the hotel where a large, white grand piano stood in the corner.

 

Sunggyu’s eyes widened, there were lots of people standing out in the lobby. Myungsoo wasn’t really going to make him sing, right?

 

“Here!” Myungsoo practically shoved the older onto the piano bench. “I want to hear it.”

 

“I don’t think that I’m allowed to play this.” Sunggyu could feel his face turn red from the potential embarrassment.

 

Myungsoo rolled his eyes but practically ran for the reception desk where the woman behind the desk immediately recognized him. “Oh my! You’re Kim Myungsoo! Can I help you with anything?”

 

“Is it alright if my friend plays the piano? Just one song?” Myungsoo sent her his best pout. “Please?”

 

“Of course.” She was star struck.  “He can play all night if he wants to.”

 

With a bright smile on his face, Myungsoo ran back to the piano where Sunggyu looked mortified. But th actor ignored it, “Play it for me.”

 

“I don’t think I rememb-“ Sunggyu tried to think of an excuse.

 

But Myungsoo cut him off, “Sing it for me. You know it, don’t lie to me.”

 

Sunggyu sighed. Myungsoo was stubborn, and that definitely meant that he’d have to sing the song or never go home again. “Fine, but don’t blame me if your ears start bleeding because it’s so bad.” He then took a deep breath and began to sing , “I love you, I’m sorry…”

 

As Sunggyu sang about not having any right to be with Myungsoo , and how much he missed him but wasn’t good for him. And it just brought tears to Myungsoo’s eyes. He remembered this melody, and sure the words were different, but the voice was the same. It was still Sunggyu’s perfect voice.

 

…because I’m a man who has nothing but his own heart.” Sunggyu finished, tears in his eyes as well. It had been years since he sang that song, but he knew he’d remember it for as long as he lived. In his mind, it was his and Myungsoo’s song.

 

Both Myungsoo and Sunggyu were woken from their thoughts when they heard applause. It seemed everyone who had been in the lobby stopped what they were doing to listen. No one seemed to notice the tears in Sunggyu’s eyes, or the tears running down Myungsoo’s cheeks.

 

“Come on,” Sunggyu stood up and wiped at his eyes with his sleeves, “Let’s go somewhere private.”

 

“Sunggyu.” Myungsoo didn’t move from his spot. “I’ve missed you.”

 

 -The End-

 

finally. after two stories, it's the end

but don't worry, there'll be an epilogue up within the next few days~

Thank you everyone for reading!!^^