05

That Summer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 



 

Waking up with a bad headache Luhan staggered out of his room, aiming to find something  to coax the unbearable pain shooting right through his head, as soon as possible. He had been in the same situation every single morning since Yoori injured herself, which occurred exactly three days ago. The incident that happened touched his soft spot but what triggered unwanted  thoughts from coming in and out of his head was when he saw Yoori laughed at him and genuinely smiled for the first time. It brought him something he couldn't quite put his finger on. He kept on thinking about how she was affecting him in that way. The idea of him yearning to make someone smile was out of his character, out of normalcy which bothered him. Maybe he was starting to lose his mind or perhaps he already did. Either way, the reason of the absurd thought -- as what he had described in his mind was unknown to him, yet he wished to at least come up with a legible reason, an explanation for such desire. He tried to avoid the girl in every possible way thinking that he was just around her too much, although that action didn’t stop him from musing about the same thing repeatedly.
 

He was able to land in the bathroom, unharmed, despite of his spinning surroundings and unstable vision. Rummaging through the medicine cabinet he groaned as he accidentally hit the back of his head on the cover of the cabinet, doubling the pain in his head. He ignored the burning pain and kept on looking. As he found the bag of medicines on top of the cabinet he immediately dragged  it down with him and went to the kitchen. It was just five in the morning and no one was still up. Ms. Kang would likely be waking up in about an hour, he still got a lot of time.  

 

Luhan managed to gulped down the medicine with the help of a glass of water. He sat on one of the stools that was  lined up in front of the counter, waiting for the medicine to take an effect. When the painkiller started acting its purpose, he got up and headed to take the bag upstairs, back to its original place. Long gone the excruciating pain he walked along the hallway in a normal pace but stopped momentarily near the staircase when he spotted an open door, the same room he had walked in on his first day.
 

The boy hesitated to go inside and thought that it was for the best to ignore it but, his curiosity kicked in again thus, allowing himself to step closer to the door. Peeking inside, he saw a figure in front of the white grand piano, the one that lured him in the last time he was there. Just by looking at the figure he knew it was Yoori, no one else in the house was using a wheelchair except her. His hand involuntarily moved up and met the wooden door, knocking on it a few times. He didn’t want to be reprimanded again like the last time.  When no response or even a flinch came from the girl he decided to go inside without her permission.

 

Close up, her head was on top of the covered keys, her hand tucked under her head. She was sleeping soundly. Luhan couldn't let her stay in that kind of position, it would only cause her back pain, and though days had already passed he wasn't that sure if Yoori's back was already in a good condition, considering that she fell on the tiled floor.
 

"Hey. Wake up." Luhan tapped her shoulder lightly, earning small whimpers from the sleeping girl. Yoori shifted from her position, and now facing Luhan. The boy looked at Yoori’s sleeping figure. He couldn’t help not to stare. She looked peaceful and free. But his concentration was cut short when Yoori started to stir,  gently rubbing her eyes then unwillingly opening it afterwards. The surprised look on her face didn't escape Luhan's eyes.

 

"I saw you through that open door"  he explained in one breathing as he pointed at his back onto the opened door like he was afraid that the girl would get mad at him. "it was open and I knocked but you were sleeping and and "
 

"I get it." And with that she wheeled herself out of the room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

☆☆♛☆☆

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Almost all day, Luhan and Yoori would be left alone in the house, it was inevitable for them to see each other and so as days passed, the two teens unexpectedly grew closer in a way, though, a lot of times they would still give each other cold shoulders when they were not in the mood to talk or even took notice of each other. Bickering was still unavoidable. Their short patience would clash, ruining the good mood both had worked hard on setting. Luhan put all his worry on the back of his mind. After having an internal battle on his mind for a few days he had come up with a valid reason on to why he wanted to see her smile often. The girl had been lonely all throughout her life ever since she was paralyzed. Nobody told him what exactly happened  that led to her current state. And now he was decided to at least put a smile on her usual stoic face.
 

"So you're a senior?" Yoori asked as she carefully cut the variety of vegetables laid upon her. They were in the kitchen, playing chef... cooking food for dinner. Yoori decided to help out, the first time she offered a helping hand. In the past days she would only wait in the living room and let him do all the work.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter