18

That Summer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

She didn't agree for Luhan to stay with her only to be bombarded with questions about something private- or so what she categorized as private matters. She didn't want to talk about him, about Baekhyun and just about everything in her damned past.

Yes, it was stupid of her to almost blurt out his name in front of a stranger. Funny how she got excited with the mere mention of the piano and the question of who taught her to play. Even though it was painful just to reminiscence those good moments from the past, there was still something tugging on her heartstrings as she was reminded of how Baekhyun would teach her. The way the older boy looked when he was pleased with her progress or when he was impatient as she made mistakes repeatedly.

Luhan, as what Yoori thought, didn't know who Baekhyun was and his role in her life. Talking about him with another person was like gossiping about what he was like when he was still living. Yoori didn't want to be like everyone around them, spreading rumors and the like. No doubt, she would not talk badly about him. It was just that, she didn't want to recall everything.

In her seat, she was thinking about what to do in order to avoid any inquisition coming from the older guy. She contemplated on whether to ask him to play instead, remembering the time when he played the piano for her but go against it because it would only cause more suspicion. And probably more question.

"I...” Yoori didn’t know what to say so she went for the first thing that came in to her mind. “C-c-can we go o-out? I want to eat out." She stumbled over her own words, but managed to sound normal -in her standards.

It wouldn't hurt to make unexpected plans right? Besides, the night was still young and the two teenagers hadn't had their dinner yet. It was a lame excuse but the latter seemed to buy it and suppressed a small smile. He immediately stood up and offered his hand to assist Yoori or rather carry her onto the wheelchair.

 

 

 

 

☆☆♛☆☆

 

 

 

 

The sun, still visible at the horizon illuminated the busy streets. Orange and red streaks coming from the setting sun colored the darkening blue sky, indicating that the sun would be bidding its goodbye in a matter of minutes. As the two stepped foot outside the house they were greeted by the warm gust of wind, brushing passed their bodies.

Even if the Kangs owned two cars, one that Miss Kang would always use for her work and one that Luhan remembered driving for a few times, Luhan still suggested to walk, reasoning that he wanted to explore the city by foot. And besides, the night market was not too far from the house and Luhan indeed wanted to stroll down town. Though he was always out at night, to who knows where - he was unable to really appreciate the beauty of Busan, except that night when he gazed at the sea.

"What does the princess want?" Luhan asked, with the hint of teasing. He lightly pushed Yoori's wheelchair, once, twice, glancing at her and waiting for her to answer.

"Ddeokbokki!" Yoori squeaked as fast as she could, like an excited kid- overly excited and suspicious. But Luhan let it pass. A weird Yoori was better than a crying Yoori, less hard to handle.

"Then so be it." With a boyish grin he started pushing Yoori again.

The road was lively, a lot of colorful lead lights were on, people having fun were everywhere around the corner. It was livelier compared to the morning hustle and bustle were only rushing people could be found occupying the busy streets.

In less than half an hour they arrived at one of the stalls by the right side of the night market near the seaside.

As they settled at the table Luhan had chosen, saying that the view was better there, a woman in her late fifties approached the two, holding a tray and a wash cloth. She was perhaps one of the owners of the food stall.

"What can I get you kids?" She casually asked, placing the empty bowls on the tray and wiping the nearest table from where the two was seated. Glancing back at the table she was tending, the old woman continued her task. And when she returned her gaze back at the two, her eyes lingered on Yoori, as if observing the young lady. "Aren't you Miss Kang's daughter?"

Although it was a simple question - a statement, Yoori's expression hardened. It was like she wanted to escape and hide somewhere far away. She didn't like people knowing she was still existing.

Luhan on the other hand, saw the way Yoori lowered her head and averted her gaze elsewhere. She was uncomfortable with what the woman said.

"We want ddeokbokki and can you get me some soju ma'am?" Then, Luhan without sounding rude interrupted them, cutting the gathering thick air.

The old woman didn’t seem to feel the tensed air. She just shrugged off whatever she said because orders were much more important than knowing about her customers. She stepped back and walked away – but then stopped mid-way, turning at the kids’ direction once more, more likely at Luhan’s direction.

"Aren't you too young for a drink son?" She eyed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter