Epilogue

That Summer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Amidst the rumbling of the sea waves, hitting the bay, there sat a girl that look at peace just by watching the scenery before her eyes. Her hands were on the sand, palms facing the coarse surface, feeling it dearly against her soft skin. For the young girl, the sense of touch was most felt by her hands. She grabbed a handful of the brown grains, slightly raising it up just to let the sand fall in between her fingers, back to its original place.

Every day since that summer, Yoori would go to the beach and watch the sunset. Tough the setting of the sun signifies the end of the day; she felt happiness surging inside her as she sees how the big ball of fire would go down as it was replaced by the bright white moon. The sight for her was utterly beautiful. Somehow, she felt closer to him.

"Don't you want to go back yet?" In the middle of the girl’s trance, a deep voice interrupted her mindless thoughts. Chanyeol appeared beside her all of a sudden. The young man squatted on the sand as he eased his bangs, tucking it behind his cute fairy-like ears.

Yoori glanced at him for a short while, still struck for how the male arrived. "Can we stay for a while until the sun is down if you don't mind..." She requested shortly, trailing off the moment she realized that she might be bothering him with such demand. "Sorry for this…. you know every day... I think we should –" Chanyeol only shrugged at her words, not really minding the situation. He cut in the middle of her words. "Look, I don't care whether you call me in the middle of the night to ask me out like this. We’re friends and I would do anything to make it up for those lost months. I won't disappoint Baekhyun. He trusted me so much and I am willing to take care of you" He smiled softly, eyes glinting with real care and happiness. "And please don't ever say that you bother me, because you don't, I love doing this. But I am worried that you'll catch a cold... it is winter now and you staying out this late is what's worrying me." He pulled out an extra shawl behind his back and wrapped it around Yoori’s neck.

The sun bade its final goodbye and the sky became a mass of black, coloring the entire sea and the vast surroundings.

Chanyeol stood up only to crouch down the next second and scooped Yoori up. The girl immediately wrapped her arms around the young man's neck, without a protest, to secure her place in his hold. The two trudged out of the beach, up until where they left Yoori’s wheelchair. He placed Yoori gently onto her wheelchair. "You okay?" He asked as he pivoted around to push the chair and head back home.

 

 

"Miss Kang!" Chanyeol greeted the older woman cheerfully upon arriving at the Kang’s residence. He slightly bowed out of courtesy and flashed his striking smile.

"Oh you two are back!" It was a good timing that the older woman was out to throw the garbage when the two teenagers arrived.

"I am going home now. Good night!" Seeing that Yoori was now home and in good hands he could finally let her be.

"Thank you Chanyeol..." Miss Kang said grateful for the young man’s help.

All thanks to Luhan, Chanyeol and Yoori had the chance to talk and appease their friendship. Their friendship now might not be how it was before but at least they managed to clear all the misunderstandings in the past. If not for the other boy, Yoori would still be alone. Miss Kang was much more grateful to Luhan.

"No worries Miss Kang." Chanyeol politely replied.

"Oppa... see you tomorrow!" Yoori waved her hand, smiling at her friend.

"Ne..." The young man showed a toothy smile that crinkled his nose and made his eyes turn into crescents. With a last wave of goodbye the man turned away and stepped into the night. Tomorrow came into his mind. He was worried because the next day was the day it happened. Exactly one year ago, Baekhyun died as well as the old Yoori.  He was fretting over the matter dramtically but with Yoori still unstable he couldn't help not to. Now he was regretting his choice to visit Baekhyun with Yoori on their friend’s death anniversary.

 

 

 

 

 

☆☆♛☆☆

 

 

 

 

 

The next day came as fast as the boy expected. He was now standing in front of the Kang’s residence, just like the previous night and the days before, waiting for a certain girl to step out of it.

Minutes later, he was not surprised to see Yoori acting all too well. The girl even before was fond of acting tough though she was hurting deep inside. Sometimes Chanyeol wonders if the old Yoori would come back. He was wishing that the girl would completely stop blaming herself for everything. At times, though she was trying her best not to, she would still think of herself being at fault for what happened to Baekhyun.

"Oppa I told you I'll be fine, stop worrying. I'll be okay. It's Baekhyun oppa so I'll be fine. He'll be happy that we chose to be with him today right?" But that was a complete lie and Chanyeol saw through her facade. She was bothered.

Once they arrived at the place where Baekhyun was buried, Yoori held Chanyeol’s hand. "Can you give us a moment oppa?"

Chanyeol immediately stepped out, backing away until he was too far from sight. He stayed as far as possible but still stood where he could easily see Yoori. The young man wanted to comfort the said girl but if she wanted space and privacy so be it.

Yoori was left on her own. She thought that she was strong enough because she had someone to lean on besides Baekhyun but when Luhan left and went back to Seoul what she assumed was her new found strength was not really what she presumed.

"I told you I'll be fine but guess I was alone again. I am glad Chanyeol oppa is here for me... but I know he'll leave soon…" The girl heaved a sigh. A bitter smile was tugging on her lips.  “Everyone leaves e?” By now she was used to people going in and out of her life. Since the day Baekhyun left, she tried to accept the fact that not all would be willing to stay beside her.

"I miss you… but I miss him more... I feel guilty oppa... but I miss him."

The day Luhan left was the day Yoori felt like giving up again. The boy had taught her so much. She knew from the start that he would never stay as long as she wanted but her stubborn side wouldn’t take in the reality. She didn’t bid him goodbye because it would hurt her more. She cried herself to sleep that day and the following days, wishing that she hadn’t met Luhan in the beginning.   

Until now, she was still yearning to see the friend she made that summer, if one could even consider their relationship as a friendship.

With the loneliness she felt, tears started to gather at the bottom of her eyes, ready to flow down onto her cheeks the moment she allowed it to.

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter