About Happiness

Bastard in the Mirror

A/N: Thank you for waiting so long...again. I'm trying to continue rolling along with this story but I've been having a serious case of writer's block. I'd like to also thank for my newest subscribers: onlyada, nymeriastark, heysell88, seraphim_leah17, janerubi, and xxmydz! 

 

____

I frowned. “Okay, Seunghyun, you lost me,” I confessed and he rolled his eyes at me. Please tell me I wasn’t the only one not following!

“Their bodily functions and systems aren’t as quick as ours, which also means their atoms and stuff don’t move as quickly as ours do. There’s a layer of science in magic, if we can somehow figure out a way to move their molecules at a faster pace then I think we can get them through the mirrors,” Seunghyun explained and I nodded in slight understanding.

“Is that even possible?” I asked him and he shrugged.

“Anything can be possible, it’d take some more time, but I can pull into extensive studying,” he offered and suddenly the younger was attacked in a giant hug.

“Gomawo!” Ji laughed ecstatically and I raised an eyebrow. I hadn’t realized everyone was shouting and whooping like we were at a party, after talking with Seunghyun the noises were getting to me. My ears popped at their loudness and got slightly dizzy as Taeyang shook me happily. Even if Seunghyun said it’d take time, they’re still happy we’ve got a slight idea about how to bring them over. I couldn’t remember a day I was this excited for something that might not even happen. Once things quieted down a little bit and Ji released Seunghyun, my other half suddenly gripped my arm. “I have to go tell Chae, I’ll see you guys later!” he bolted and I frowned.

“Ya! How can you just leave your other half here?!” I shouted at him.

“Mianhae!” he called back and I sighed deeply. Well, he ditched me pretty fast.

“Hyung, let’s head out now! I have to figure this out as soon as possible,” Seunghyun said and we stood at the steps before I remembered TOP. I held up a finger to signal the latter to wait for a moment and slightly jogged over to the black and silver haired captive.

“TOP!” he looked up as I squatted down to face him directly. “I figured out Seunghyun wasn’t a bartender, he’s an agent!” I said and TOP smiled slightly.

“Jinjja?” he sighed relaxingly. He had a dreamy look on his face, as if he slipped into the calmest type of euphoria.

“Ne, but, Bom doesn’t want to be in a relationship with him,” I mumbled but his expression didn’t change. He still looked like he was on Cloud Nine.

“That’s fine, he’s an agent,” TOP insisted and I raised an eyebrow confusingly. He’s fine with that?

“You seem to really like the fact he’s an agent…” I realized and he shrugged with a grin.

“He keeps people safe by risking his own life, I’ve always wanted to do that for Bommie…” he sighed once more and he stopped smiling as if he was replaying the scene in his mind. “It’s probably better if she doesn’t get involved with Seunghyun,” he confessed and flinched as if reality was painful for him. It was sad.

“But, shouldn’t they be happy?” I asked back and he shrugged once more, looking down.

“Sometimes you should sacrifice happiness in order to do the right thing,” he muttered, turning back to look at me in the eyes. “That’s my motto,” he smiled again showing off his dimples and slightly crescent-shaped eyes. That was the first time I’ve ever seen him smile like that. He must really treasure that phrase. After all, he did sacrifice his life for the friends that did him wrong. “You should think about it,” he advised softly and I felt a strong grip on my shoulder; I looked up and saw Taeyang above me. Even if he was a friend, those eyes were freaky sometimes. 

“Come on, Little Seunghyun is waiting." he reminded me and I nodded, standing up and brushing off my knees. TOP lifted up his head and sat down on his bed, staring at his feet like he was repenting once more.

After sending Little Seunghyun back I was walking back to Parallel Needs where Chae worked and continuously said TOP’s motto over and over in my head. Sometimes you should sacrifice happiness in order to do the right thing…it was a powerful phrase. It was shocking for one of the top prisoners to say that, it seemed like each prisoner besides Dara was remorseful about their sins. E-Minji was kind of quiet and I actually didn’t know a lot about her but I’m sure I could talk to her some other time. Sacrificing happiness, would I ever be able to do that? It seems crazy noble, something I would like to do but I can’t imagine myself doing anything to that extent. Let’s face it, people are selfish, and it seems like I’m a bit more on the selfish side. I pushed open the door to Parallel Needs and noticed Ji talking to Chae and the cashier counter. “Oh, hey Jiyong,” Chae looked at me and started slapping Ji without facing him to get him to shut up. I smiled slightly.

“Hey, Ji tell you?” I asked and she nodded with a smile.

“It’s awesome! You and Seunghyun should take your time, it’s not like we’re going anywhere,” she insisted with a kind smile.

“Yeah, we’ve been waiting for years, a little longer wouldn’t kill us,” Ji shrugged. I felt like I had been punched with a shot of relief, it actually felt good. Sure, the pressure of actually coming up with an idea was still there, but now I could work with Seunghyun as long as we felt like it took.

“We’ll work hard to find the answer as soon as possible,” I smiled but something inside of me felt like I was dabbling somewhere that I wasn’t supposed to be. “I should get home soon, I told…the others that I was having lunch with Seunghyun and the kid isn’t good at lying about my whereabouts.” I dodged having to say Dara but the two didn’t detect anything suspicious; if they did they showed no reaction.

“Alright, we’ll catch you soon?” Chae asked hopefully and I nodded.

“Later Jiyong!” Ji waved and I waved back at my other half, taking my time to walk back to Ji’s apartment and passing through his mirror.

I realized I haven’t been hanging around my own home lately so I took a little time to sit down and just put my feet up. When I’m at Seunghyun’s dorm I’m researching, when I’m at Dara/Bom’s place I seem to be stressed out and busy, and when I’m at work…I’m working. There’s no one to talk to about this on a deeper level and being surrounded by people doesn’t seem to help me out. So I swung my feet up on my reclining chair, grabbed a bag of chips and the TV. Running Man won’t solve my issues but it can take me to a different place for the time being. I let my frustrations out by laughing them away, so hard I ended up crying. I realized I enjoyed the warmth and comfort I had in my own home, maybe I shouldn’t leave as often. Even when the doorbell resonated in the rooms I had difficulty getting up to leave my chair. “Coming!” I shouted and pulled myself out of the chair and towards the door. “Oh, annyeong Noona, what’s up?” I moved aside letting Bom walk inside. She seems…jittery. I’ve never seen her shake so much and we once dared her to go out without a jacket in the snow.

“Y-your friend came by the house again a-and he just totally just, like, asked me out right on the spot like who the does that?! Who the hell comes up to someone’s house and ask them on a date in two hours—!”

“So you said yes I’m assuming?” I smiled and she crossed her arms without looking at me.

“I was pressured,” she reasoned and I hummed in response. Who wouldn’t enjoy a moment like this? Really, and I was already having a good time!

“Where you guys going?” I wondered, guiding her into the kitchen and pulling out a bit of whiskey. Yeah it was the afternoon but she was freaking out so badly!

“I was hoping you might give me a clue, he didn’t say other than picking me up in two hours. Do you have any idea?” she asked helplessly and I shrugged, watching her drink the alcohol.

“I knew the guy when he was a bartender so we never talked about that kind of stuff…but he did tell me that he often went to the shooting range. Now it makes sense, him being an agent and all, but it’s a thought,” I smirked at Bom’s awestruck expression.

“Would he really teach me how to use a gun?” she mumbled and I shrugged.

“It’s a shot right? I mean it’s all I got, I don’t necessarily know what’s going on in that guy’s mind,” I added. Seeing Bom get all flustered about dating Seunghyun was amusing, it reminded me of T.O.P’s quote again. Sometimes you should sacrifice happiness in order to do the right thing. Maybe that’s what I had to think of all of this. Maybe that’s why I always feel weird; I’m sacrificing my own happiness by spending time on the research but I’m doing the…right thing.

 

 

I hope.