The Trial

Bastard in the Mirror

A/N: Thank you for my newest subscribers: qisxxtina, michaela25, seondara, and choezna! 

 

____

I was suddenly caught up with personal affairs, YG was complaining about how we weren’t making profit in our company and both Seunghyuns needed my help. Little Seunghyun couldn’t handle the research by himself and Big Seunghyun was looking for witnesses to testify against Youngbae. Dara and I were getting swamped with work since YG wanted more compositions so we haven’t been able to hang out. Minji and Chaerin always stay up late so I end up talking to them when I’m at their place. Bom won’t stop freaking out about the flirting relationship between her and Big Seunghyun…and the fact we’re going to testify against Youngbae tomorrow.

I spent the night at their place, ironing me and Seunghyun’s suits, feeling like a housewife. Everyone under the roof was nervous, the slightest noises sent the girls screaming and me jumping. Seunghyun…he just kind of ignored everything around him. I was lying down on the couch, resting my eyes while I heard the steady rhythm of Seunghyun’s pages. “Find anything?” I mumbled.

“Ani, there’s nothing,” the younger took a deep breath and slammed down the book making me flinch slightly. “Seriously, there is no information whatsoever in these old books. It’s stressing me out,” he groaned and I opened an eye to see the guy pacing back and forth.

“Hey, take a break; we have to get up early and go to court remember?” I reminded him.

“Please, I’m only going because Minji wants me to go with her,” he scoffed and I smirked.

“You’re so whipped,” I teased and he threw a pillow in my face. I smiled as I caught it and stuffed the cushion under my head.

“At least we can still talk to each other,” he said back and I frowned.

“Not cool, Dongsaeng,” I grumbled and he held up his hands sarcastically. But I knew he didn’t mean it, he’s just been really stressed out and he’s doing actions before thinking. Seunghyun sighed and rubbed his eyes from under his glasses.

“Mianhae, Hyung. I’m just kind off it, let’s just…go to sleep then,” he shrugged and curled himself up on the chair he was sitting in. He pulled off his glasses and set them down on top of a comic book. The kid read comics? Seemed kinda stereotypically nerdy. I smirked at him, he’s a cute kid. YG would like him.

Dara’s alarm went off at seven in the morning causing me to roll off the couch to get to the bathroom first. Even in a house with four girls and three bathrooms it was difficult to claim one. As I walked over to the downstairs one I heard thundering steps and saw Chaerin running down the stairs. “!” I cursed and bolted over to the bathroom, both of us suddenly in a race for the bathroom.

“Move Oppa!” I slid across the smooth floors and into the bathroom, shutting the door with a hearty laugh.

“Go to the other one! I claim this one!” I shouted through the door hearing her huff. She might act like that, but I know she loves it when we make fun of each other. It makes us happy to be a little annoying to each other.

“You’re so childish,” she scoffed and I smirked as I began my washing up. My colored hair would definitely stand out so I decided on a suit that had simple black trousers and a blazer with a white shirt. After fixing my hair I opened up the door to let a zombie Seunghyun walk in.

“Don’t take too long, we have to go to court in less than a half hour,” I told him while checking my watch.

“Aresso,” he groaned and closed the door softly. I flicked out my jacket and sighed. Yay, we’re going over to the court to testify against a man who used to be Chaerin’s boyfriend and is apparently extremely dangerous. I rolled my eyes. I wasn’t in the mood to go to the court but I had to. Big Seunghyun needed our help and apparently “the more witnesses the merrier”. Technically Chaerin and I were main witnesses but the others still had connections to Youngbae.

“Is Seunghyun in the bathroom?” I looked behind me at Dara who was now dressed business casual. I smiled a bit and nodded.

“Ne, he should be out soon,” I told her and she gently stepped into my arms letting me wrap them around her. I haven’t seen Bottom’s Up Dara in a long time; the scars have had time to heal over. Sure, it was still freaky as Hell, but at least it was pushed to the back of my head.

“I’m sorry I haven’t had the energy to be hanging out with you and the others. YG has been on my case lately,” she mumbled and I nodded.

“Mine too, and it’s okay. You need the rest,” I kissed her head. I was glad nothing had changed. I furrowed my eyebrows a bit. Now that I think about, nothing’s ever changed…

“No PDA in the living room please!” Bom shouted at us as she came down from a bathroom upstairs, having me leave my train of thought.

“Looking good for Seunghyun eh Bommie?” Dara smirked at her and I smiled with her. We all like teasing Bom about Big Seunghyun, minus Little Seunghyun of course.

“Psh, whatever, we went out twice not once every day for two weeks,” Bom scoffed but I could tell she was checking herself out in the mirror. She seemed to like Seunghyun and I knew he really liked her around. I could see things working out well for them.

After Little Seunghyun, Minji, and Chaerin were finished washing up and getting dressed we hopped into Bom’s van and began driving to the courthouse. It looks like all of those other court houses you ever see on TV, big and made of white marble with pillars holding them up. When I opened the door the walls, floors, and ceilings were made of olive colored granite. We made our way to the court, quietly opening the door where we could clearly see the wooden pews and Big Seunghyun guarded the door. He looked back and smiled gratefully, hugging Bom first obviously. “Hey! You guys should sit down, Youngbae’s coming in any minute now,” he advised and led us to the front row. In front of us was the prosecutor; on the left side was the defense attorney. Both looked hella intimidating, I really didn’t want to go up in front of them. The judge didn’t seem any easier; he was on the older side with a round face and angry looking eyes. You know, like all Asian judges. “I hope you guys are okay with this…I know how fierce people in the legal field can be,” he mumbled.

“It’s okay, if it means landing Youngbae behind bars,” Chaerin shrugged and I nodded.

“We’re helping you it’s fine,” I added and he smiled. Before he could say anything else the door opened and my heart froze as I looked back. It was weird seeing bright orange instead of lime green; it was weirder seeing Taeyang’s face stare at the floor gloomily. It’s kind of like seeing twins with opposite personalities; it looks strange to see one of them act differently but at the same time it looks okay for them. I felt that Youngbae should be feeling down. When he looked up his eyes connected with mine for a moment and I thought they went black. No, no, his eyes were always black. He laid a gaze on all of us, even those who he probably didn’t know, but he did know we were here against him. He was seated next to his attorney and I noticed his handcuffed wrists, the chain in between was quite short so he couldn’t move his hands that much. It was a bit creepy.

“Shall we get started then?” Judge Im knocked his gavel onto the desk, silencing all of us, and Seunghyun walked to the front to stand at the side of the judge’s chair. Oh, so he’s one of those guards too. After flipping a coin Seunghyun looked at the prosecutor and nodded a cue for him to stand.

“Your Honor, I would like to call Mr. Kwon Jiyong to the stand.” As soon as I heard it I stood up and walked over, even if my legs were shaking and my palms were sweaty I managed to get to the witness stand on the left and take oath. I sat in the chair and I realized my heart was pounding straight out of my chest. The prosecutor, Mr. Han, seemed to notice as he walked over to me. “It’s alright, just answer the questions truthfully,” he breathed and I nodded. “Mr. Kwon! You were at the bar where Mr. Dong and Ms. Lee had a bit of a falling out, correct?” he said in a louder tone and I composed myself before speaking.

“Ne sir,” I responded.

“I understand that you are very close friends with Ms. Lee, so you had been watching them closely during that time right?” I remember Seunghyun telling me that he was supposed to fill in the prosecutor about the events so I wasn’t surprised when he knew things like that.

“Ne, I felt protective over her during that time,” I said and he paced in front of the judge. I ran my hands along my smooth slacks in order to keep my hands busy and dry. God this feels like forever!

“So you know that Mr. Dong had assaulted Ms. Chaerin in a public area before taking action with Mr. Choi, I assume?” he pulled up his cuff and I nodded. I didn’t like so many people watching my every move.

“Ne, it just kind of dawned on me. I didn’t think it was right,” I mumbled into the microphone. The moment I finished speaking the defense attorney slammed his hands on the table and looked over at the judge. I shook slightly from shock.

“Your Honor what does questioning Mr. Kwon about the bar accident have to do with the other charges?” he wondered and suddenly I felt like it was my fault even though I shouldn’t be. Can I just leave?!

“The other charges are for Ms. Lee to answer,” Mr. Han said and the man huffed while pushing in his chair. “Gamsahabnida Mr. Kwon, you may step off the stand.” I think I walked off that thing faster than I was supposed to…my ears returned to their normal temperature and I was free to rub my heated cheeks.

“Ugh that was terrible,” I mumbled to Little Seunghyun, quiet enough so Chaerin couldn’t hear it. She must’ve been more nervous than me and speaking negatively wouldn’t help her confidence!

“Don’t worry, as long as you say the truth about the crimes Youngbae has committed the judge will send him back and give him a responsible amount of jail time,” the college student shrugged. “The nervous one should be Youngbae but it’s like you’re the one who committed crimes and he hasn’t,” Seunghyun jut his chin over to the convict who was just sitting casually in his chair with his legs resting on each other and leaning back in his chair. I frowned. He seems awfully casual. I glanced at Seunghyun, just to help put my paranoia down, but it didn’t help as I saw him staring at Youngbae intensely while whispering quickly into his microphone. The agent took a deep breath and walked towards the exit just as Chaerin was called up to the stands. One eye wanted to watch her confront her ex-boyfriend but the other followed Big Seunghyun as he pulled his black hair back and walk outside. God this doesn’t feel good. It was bad enough that I had been stressed out over the trial but there was something terribly wrong.

“You okay Ji?” I jumped slightly at that name coming from Dara’s mouth, I almost shouted “WHO TOLD YOU” but I controlled myself. I nodded quickly and she held my hand. I felt better but not as much as I’d like to. “It’s okay, you’re done and Rinnie just has to answer a few questions,” she insisted and I nodded again. I kept my gaze on the door; I flickered over to my friends, and even when Chaerin was taking oath. Can’t they say the words faster?! Does it really take this long?! As she took her seat clapping footsteps could be heard and everything just kind of stopped. Judge Im even ceased slapping his desk halfway through to look at the door when Seunghyun squeezed himself in and threw down the wooden barricade. He left not five minutes ago but he was already pale and sweating. As for me, the dude wasn’t in the room five seconds, and I was almost as bad as he was.

“Jiyong!” I looked up and nearly dropped the gun that was tossed to me.

“Wh-what?!” I shouted and stood up with the pistol in my hands.

“You can shoot a gun right? What about you, Lil’ Seunghyun?” the TOP lookalike desperately pulled out another firearm from his jacket causing the Seungri lookalike to flip out.

“What’s h-happening?” the younger of the two stuttered but took the weapon nonetheless.

 

“I don’t care if you kill anyone just shoot—!” There was no time to finish that sentence as bullets fired through the door making everyone drop to the ground and pray for life.