A Sample

Bastard in the Mirror

A/N: I apologize for the long wait, I've had to focus a bit more on school than I realized :P I'm glad to see new subscribers: rahmah_ishak, Rinnie21, Abakobako, aprilxxberry, & Burning91Rose! I'll try to get the story rolling again as soon as possible!

 

____

 

We never got around to talking about only a friendship with me and Chaerin, I told them that Little Seunghyun might’ve been a medical major they went straight for it. They were like Great Danes that just saw a rabbit, their eyes widened and they jumped right next to me. You should’ve seen it, their eyes brightened and smiles widened. I’ve never seen someone so happy let alone a group of people! Ji was the first one to speak. “Can you ask him about it?” he wondered anxiously, as if he was trying to hold his excitement inside but failed miserably. I wonder if Seunghyun thinks that they’ll take over Earth as well. Has he even thought about it before? My ideas had holes punched in everywhere but I already mentioned it, there was no way they would let me take it back.

“Ugh, stupid Seunghyun,” Seungri grumbled and fell back in his bed. I ignored his comment and nodded at Ji even if I was uncertain about the other male’s decision.

“I could ask him later—.”

“Can you do it now?” Taeyang blurted out which scared me about half to death. I honestly didn’t want to do it at the moment, what if it turns out to be more drama than I would’ve thought? But nonetheless, I said yes and hurried up with exiting the town and finding Seunghyun. It wasn’t that difficult, he was hanging out with Minji on the couch and they were watching TV together. They look so cute! I cleared my throat and stood over Seunghyun.

“Seunghyun, what’s your major in college?” I asked him and he wrinkled his eyebrows.

“Biology, why?” I gave myself a pat on the back. He’s probably in undergraduate school, thus not attending any official medical school in a particular field but he’s on his way. Anyway, not only is biology somewhat medical it’s also science-related which means he can assist me in more ways than one.

“I need some help in Bottom’s Up, some medical and scientific help…”

Seunghyun was on it. Minji didn’t really feel like thinking at the moment so he and I went to his place to look at his mirror. It was very different compared to mine; the mirror was mounted onto the wall and was a gleaming rectangle with no borders. It was kind of a small squeeze for me but then again Seunghyun was smaller than I was. After explaining what the doubles wanted and the help they believed they needed I waited for Seunghyun’s response. What if he thinks like Daesung? Has he ever thought about the idea of having them cross over into our world? Seunghyun then nodded and a weight fell off my chest; I could breathe easier. “I could try and figure something out, but I’ll need information on the mirrors; we could go in and ask,” he pointed and immediately passed through the glass. For a moment I thought about how to go through that thing but ended up jumping and shooting right into a dark and empty room. The air suddenly felt colder, the only light was streaming from an open window. I dropped my jaw as I looked around the place.

“Where are we?” I mumbled and Seunghyun helped me to my feet. He took a deep breath.

“Seungri’s old apartment, he cleared it out before they took him in,” Seunghyun sighed. “Not sure why he cleaned it out…”

“Well, it sure is warming…” I mumbled and he laughed slightly and opened the front door.

“Yeah, let’s head down to the jail house and talk to him. He may not look it, but Seungri’s not actually stupid,” Seunghyun shrugged and I smirked slightly. Once we exited the apartment building I noticed that it was right in front of the prison, which seemed very convenient for Seunghyun at times. Of course the overall visual of the town was normal, rich orange skies and pink hues close to the horizon but the ambiance felt different…it was a very anxious atmosphere. Though when I looked around the other doubles weren’t looking I felt like we were getting stared at which is strange because no one looks at doubles! Seunghyun didn’t seem to notice, if he did he hid it quite well, but we were safe inside of the prison…God that didn’t make much sense. I passed by D-Man who was still oblivious to the fact I had talked to the rest of the gang about Earth. Just standing near him made me nervous, like he could read my mind. “D-Man? Can Jiyong and I go to the top floor?” Seunghyun asked the officer and he nodded.

“Go ahead, they’re kind of quiet today,” D-Man shrugged and ruffled his black hair as Seunghyun and I made our way to the door.

“That was easy…” I mumbled dumbfounded and Seunghyun shrugged.

“They’ll let you in if you have a double in prison, people tend not to yell at the doubles,” he told me, which explained how he got here with Minji. I was wondering why it was so silent. I could see all of the criminals, they were wide awake yet not a mouth was opened. Once we reached the very top floor I saw that Seungri was lying on the floor and he sat up when seeing us.

“Yo, what’s up Seunghyun?” Seungri breathed and jumped up, coming closer to the rails. His mood wasn’t welcoming but it definitely was much more tired than I expected him to be.

“Nothing much Ri, I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about the mirrors though.” The kid gets down to business.

“What about ‘em?” Seungri asked with an eyebrow raised.

“How are they magical? What’s up with their glass?” Seunghyun took his turn to an eyebrow. The questions seemed kind of vague, would this actually have something to do with the fact these guys can’t pass through? I honestly didn’t think that Seungri would be able to comprehend the questions well enough but he sighed deeply and began to talk.

“It’s got a long history, I suggest you sit down,” Seunghyun and I sat on the concrete floor cross legged. “Mirrors are developed over time; each is different and created when the doubles are born. At first we were like you guys but with magic, clueless about the other side until one guy had this idea: ‘what if everyone could see their conscience’? I guess he was thinking badly and wanted to hear that good side in him since there always seems to be one. No one really knew his name but he created the mirrors at least a couple thousand years ago. He looked through and saw another, symmetrical man, staring at him. And that was how the mirrors were born. They’re just regular glass with some liquid magic painted onto one side so the Earth doubles can go through—,”    

“Haven’t you guys tried painting both sides?” Seunghyun piped up and Seungri nodded.

“It won’t work though; we’ve tried it with all kinds of mirrors,” the prisoner mumbled upsettingly.

“Do you think I could get a bit of the liquid? I could run some tests on it in the lab at school,” Seunghyun asked and Seungri shrugged.

“You’re asking the wrong guy, I’m in jail, remember smart one?” Seungri grumbled and gripped the handles of his cage. It frightened me slightly, his sudden aggression, but Seunghyun was still relaxed and the atmosphere seemed to loosen its strings.

“I have some.” It was a female’s voice I knew all too well, the one where I would never be able to look at it the same. I let my guard down and I felt the stress bearing on me. Seunghyun stood up, fearless of the woman, and walked over to her cell. I kept my head low, refusing to see her.

“Gamsahabnida, where’d you get it?” the student wondered and I heard a crinkle of plastic. It must be in a bag then.

“Before I was locked up, I never saw my double. I wanted to use this on a smaller mirror but they wouldn’t let any spare glass into my room so it became useless.” Oh my God! Why does that sentence not freak him out?! I clenched my fists on my knees, noticing even Seungri had his neck turned away from Dara. Seunghyun doesn’t get it; he doesn’t know how scary she really is. Why is he so ing oblivious?!

“Ah, I see. Thanks again for the gel, Jiyong Hyung, let’s get going again. Before it gets too dark and we won’t be able to use the lab,” Seunghyun quickly called and I lifted my head. Dara’s back was faced towards me so I didn’t have to feel sick to my stomach either.

“Ne, let’s get going. Gomawo Seungri, D-Dara…” I nodded at the already tired male and heard springs of a bed coming from the devil woman’s cell. Seunghyun and I then made our way down the steps, feeling an awfully awkward and quiet ambiance settling on the prison house. I guess it kind of fit, maybe everyone shut up to hear about it. People would be excited, right? The thought of leading into Earth would excite people on this side, no doubt.

I was out of my atmosphere when Seunghyun led me into the university’s lab. He flipped on the switch and made his way inside as I cautiously stepped in. I guess you could call it a standard lab; there were two columns of six metal tables and each had its own test tube tray, burner, beakers, etc. The floors were white tile and squeaked slightly when I walked inside and the lights were really bright. I guess if you’re handling dangerous chemicals you should have more than enough light to see where you put them. Seunghyun was already looking through a microscope, adjusting the knobs and the slide underneath. He hummed and exhaled frustratingly then ran a hand through his fluffy black hair. “I don’t know much about magic, I tried to stray from it since it interfered with scientific belief kind of like the church, but I’m gonna have to do some research. I don’t know about magic and mirrors besides Sleeping Beauty so do you think you could look at something tomorrow?”

“S-sure, I’ll go to the library after work tomorrow,” I told him and he nodded.

“That’s good, you can go home now but I advise to stay away from the mirrors until I come up with an idea. Better to anticipate than to disappoint,” he said. Seunghyun seemed eager to get started on the research at hand so I guess it was better for me to leave since I probably wouldn’t be able to keep up. I’ve never been into school, so I’d just be kind of bothersome.

“A-alright, I’ll leave it to you then,” I said and he nodded without glancing up. Jeez, this kid.