I Wish

Bastard in the Mirror

A/N: I'm on a roll~I know, took me long enough but at least I stopped updating w/ 3 week intervals. Thank you for the comments and my new subscriber: justlikemermaid!

 

____

I slid back against the wall, keeping the piece of paper eye level with me, and continued to stare at it once the message had made sense. At the same time it made my mind whirl. I could read it, but I couldn’t understand what he wanted to say. Yeah, he was dead that’s where he ended up, but who put him there? Is he pinning the blame on some other party? I pulled on my blonde strands and sighed frustratingly into my palm. I don’t want to think. But I had to. I had responsibilities and a life that I couldn’t just step out of a mirror to avoid. I looked back at the paper and folded it back up; I couldn’t let anyone else see the paper. This was a message for me and me only so it must only pertain to me. Why does it say ‘TYB’? I thought his family name was Dong? I frowned again but stood up this time, dusting off the uncomfortable suit and pulled off my blazer to hang off my shoulder. I took another deep breath before walking back into Seunghyun’s room, the rhythmic beep of his robotic heart made me have hope again. “What happens to Youngbae’s case?” I wondered and Little Seunghyun looked up.

“I think it goes cold since their main detective is unable to work and the suspect at hand is dead. Why?” he stood up and we stepped into the corner where things weren’t as sorrowful.

“I was just wondering about something, doesn’t the dude have a will?” I asked again.

“Probably he might’ve made adjustments while in jail, but unless we’re mentioned, I doubt they’ll call us about his will,” the younger told me and my hopes sunk. I was hoping that I could find something that could answer the piece of paper’s questions. Maybe he was blackmailed and all of his valuables were transferred to the mastermind, since all of his followers died that would narrow the options of where his belongings went. “I thought you hated the dude? What’s in the note?”

“Nothing, just…confusing stuff, it doesn’t even make sense.” It was the truth, it made zero sense.

“No kidding, I think Youngbae was a bit paranoid and had eisoptrophobia,” I furrowed my eyebrows. Huh?

“Speak human Seunghyun!” I hissed and he rolled his eyes.

“He might’ve been crazy with a fear of his own reflection. Whenever he and Chaerin video-chatted with that little picture in the corner of what you looked like he always cut it off when he saw it. Kind of weird…” he shrugged. Fear of his reflection? Interesting…as I was thinking a man in clean pressed scrubs entered and we all stopped talking, Bom’s cries were silenced to sniffles.

“Mr. Choi’s friends?” we all nodded. “Well, first off I’m sorry this happened to him, quite a tragic accident—,” all said in a monotone voice. “But I would like to say that the bullet didn’t puncture his heart but more like…grazed it.”

“So he’ll live?” Bom asked quickly, standing up even.

“Well, even if his heart is intact his lungs are punctured and it’d be dangerous if we let him breathe on his own. So, yes, he will live but we need a lung donor for him to be taken off life support,” the doctor finalized and I stared at the man…bedridden because of the hole in his lungs. I gulped. Can someone even donate their lungs? Who would even want to donate the things that help them breathe? “Do not worry about him, people are looking to see if there’s anyone who can donate their lungs. We’ll keep him here until then,” he assured us and I exhaled through my mouth. Stay alive Seunghyun. You better live.

After going back to Bom and Dara’s place we all changed out of our court attire and into sweats. I felt like we all needed to just relax, if possible. Little Seunghyun found himself in between his wall of books, this time with Minji beside him, and they looked through books together. Bom, Dara, and Chaerin were all talking in someone’s room, probably crying on each other’s shoulders. I wish I was better with crying girls, but it was too much for me. Even if they said they didn’t need me to be there with them I wanted to. I laid across the couch, keeping the TV on for the comforting noise, and thought to myself. They, that word is so vague. I wish Youngbae could’ve used more specific words, or names rather than his own initials. What did he know? Who did he know? I creased my eyebrows and rubbed my forehead angrily. “I don’t want to think about all of this,” I grumbled.

“Mm, get your mind off things, read a couple books,” Seunghyun offered without taking his eyes off the read in his hands.

“That gives me a headache, I want to sleep but I can’t…” I muttered and laid the back of my hand over my eyes. “I wish I could fall asleep…or figure things out,” I sighed.

“If things were that easy then we’d already know everything wouldn’t we, Jiyong Oppa?” Minji mentioned.

“Ugh, you’ve been hanging out too much with that nerd,” I mumbled.

“Hyung!” Seunghyun pouted and I rolled my eyes. My pocket then buzzed and I arched my back upward to pull out the phone from my back pocket.

“Yobosaeyo?” I answered.

“Jiyong, I’ve made up my decision about your friend,” YG stated bluntly and I sat up while glancing at Seunghyun. It’s been a while since I mentioned Seunghyun to him, he seemed interested but I didn’t think he’d actually take me up!

“Jinjja?” I asked and he hummed in response.

“Ne, I want to hear him sing. Is he free right now?” my boss wondered and I looked over at the student, snuggled up with Minji.

“Let me check,” I said quickly and looked back up. “Seunghyun, you and Minji wanna come to work with me?” I asked and they both looked up.

“Mm…I’d rather—.”

“Sure! We’d love to!” Minji interrupted him and the latter widened his eyes at his girlfriend.

“Great!” I smirked. “Yeah, we’ll be there in ten,” I told my boss and hung up.

“Do I have to go?” Seunghyun whined and Minji pulled him up off the chair.

“Ne, it’ll be fun! Don’t you think it’d be cool?” she pouted and he sighed while hanging his head. Whipped.

“Aresso, I’ll go,” he mumbled and I rolled my eyes.

“Come on, we’ll use Dara’s car.” The girls didn’t seem like they were going anywhere and Dara didn’t need to go to work today. I snatched the keys and we all slid into her awesome white Range Rover. God I was always jealous of her car but I get to use it so that helps make up for it. Our ride was loud, filled with the radio and Seunghyun talking/shouting to Minji. For a moment things were stress-free, I forgot about everything as I focused on driving and comically singing along with the radio. I pulled into the studio’s parking lot and guided them to my room. “You guys can mess around a bit, I need to talk to my boss,” I told them, trusting Seunghyun and Minji with the technology, and walked down a couple halls for YG’s office. It kinda creeped me out, the man collected a bunch of toys and they all smiled…like they were mocking me. The older man was hunched over his desk and I knocked to get his attention. Immediately he looked up. “Seunghyun is here.”

“Great! I’ll listen outside when he’s in the booth so he won’t be nervous,” YG stood up and followed me back to my room where he stood just outside the door while I walked in. Just have him sing a song, not hard. The couple was looking through one of my pieces of sheet music and I looked over Seunghyun’s shoulder. Perfect.

“You wanna try it out?” I asked him and the younger male bit his lip. If he applied himself, I think Little Seunghyun could look cool as a singer.

“M-molla, it’s not really like what I am…” he shrugged.

“I’d like to see how it for someone else to sing it though, do you think you could just try the first verse into the chorus?” I wondered, pointing out the parts for him to sing.

“Mm, I guess,” he finally decided and I smiled.

“Awesome! Take the sheet inside and wear the headphones,” I instructed happily and he just nodded while taking the sheet music into the booth.

“I wish he would just say how much he wants it,” Minji mumbled and I nodded as I prepared the track. “YG behind the door?”

“Yup,” I affirmed and she chuckled.

“He’s so oblivious,” she sighed as the other had found the headphones and slipped them on, giving me a thumb up. Taking his cue I started the track, leaving about eight bars of silence before he started singing. I had to do a double take. I’ve never heard Seunghyun sing until now, but damn! Was this the same little nerd I took under my wing?! His voice was kind of thin and jazzy; it fit extremely well with the song. YG will definitely like him. I hadn’t realized I was bobbing my head along with the music; my hands immediately went towards the mixer to tweak his voice little by little. When he finished singing the chorus I stopped the track and smiled at him, hearing YG come in behind me. I moved away from the microphone and the CEO flipped the “on” switch.

“Well, I didn’t know you could sing like that…” he chuckled. Neither did I!

“G-gamsahabnida, Sir.” He must feel tense.

“Do you think I could talk to you for a minute about a contract?” Seunghyun’s mouth hit the floor causing Minji and I to laugh a bit. Then, in a minute or so, Seunghyun finally got the hint and started rushing out of the booth.

“D-do you think I could do it?” he asked the elder, who shrugged uncertainly.

“Entertainment is a rough and unpredictable business, but I think you have a good shot—.” Interrupting the CEO my phone rang and I quickly picked it up without looking at the caller ID. Jeez who’s calling?

“Yobosaeyo?” I answered softly so I wouldn’t disturb the conversation at hand.

“Mr. Kwon? This is Officer Kim; we would like to speak to you at the moment, could you please come downtown?” I frowned. More police to encounter? I’ve had enough of that today!

“May I ask what for?”

 

“There’s a reading in Mr. Dong’s will that would interest you, it seems that he has left some things for you.” I wish you stayed out of my life.