The Will

Bastard in the Mirror

A/N: Thank you to my newest subscribers: Acissej92, LittleNinja93, & Izzy21!

 

____

I couldn’t stick around and help Little Seunghyun think about his contract, so I left him with Minji and told them to call me when they wanted to go back home. When Officer Kwon told me that Youngbae left me something I really wanted to know what that was. Maybe it connected to the note…that note made me press even harder on the accelerator. I parked on the curb of the station, seeing the blue sign with gold letters and their eagle/sunflower emblem. I kind of ran in, I was just really anxious for what the police had for me. It didn’t look too different compared to the one in Bottom’s Up, it’s just that they had glass. “Um, I’m here to meet with Officer Kim,” I said to the tall officer. Their outfits were different though, they had blue blazers and gray dress shirts along with black berets. The man looked up and nodded.

“Mr. Kwon?” I nodded in response. “Walk down the hall, 4th door on your right,” he instructed and I bowed in respect while following his directions. Fourth door, here. It was an interrogation room but inside I saw the file along with a straight faced officer with hair that combed over in the front. By his feet was a briefcase which carried, what I assumed to be, whatever Youngbae left for me. I walked inside and he looked up then stood.

“Mr. Kwon, Officer Kim Jeongsik,” he held out his hand for me and we shook. I then took a seat across from him and he opened up Youngbae’s file. My heart pounded as he thumbed through the papers, records, reports, and even pictures of his supposed crimes as well as the crime scene where Bae died. He finally arrived at the will and pulled it out with a deep breath. “I understand you didn’t know Mr. Dong for that long correct?” I nodded. “I’m not quite sure what he planned for you but it says here that he has left you with his four journals,” he swung his briefcase up to clang on the metal table. I furrowed my eyebrows as he handed me four leather cased books with worn pages as if they were looked through countless times. “The police are allowing you these books because they have no relevance to any of his cases, he never confessed once,” Officer Kim muttered and I looked up with my eyes widened.

“You looked at them?” wasn’t that like an invasion of privacy since the books were now mine? 

“Well, more like skimmed. We never went into detail since there was nothing worth looking at. There’s also one other thing, but that is under police surveillance.”

“What? Isn’t it mine now? Shouldn’t it be in my possession?” I asked him only to receive a hand to the face. Damn that pisses me off.

“If you really should know, he has left you and Mr. Lee Seunghyun with quite a few vials of unknown chemicals to you but we’re not sure if they’re dangerous or not so we’re running a few tests,” Officer Kim insisted and I groaned while feeling even more agitated. “Be glad we’re giving you the journals.”

“Youngbae left this stuff for me and Seunghyun; you should’ve just given me the vials!” I shouted but the calm look Officer Kim wore only shook my blood even more.

“Why are you so upset? Do you know something about the chemicals?” he questioned.

“Mwo?! Of course not! I knew Youngbae for like 3 weeks I don’t know why he’s leaving us these things but now these journals are mine and the vials are ours.” Was he seriously accusing me about being crime masters with Youngbae?!

“Well, the tests should be done in a couple days. You won’t have to wait that long. Now I suggest we end this conference soon before you act out on me, have a nice day Mr. Kwon,” Officer Kim smirked slightly, packed his things and left me in that agonizingly gray room. I ruffled my fingers through my hair and picked up the journals with a heavy heart.

Little Seunghyun and Minji still haven’t called for me to pick them up so I went to the hospital to read the books. There must be something useful for me if he left these, it might relate to the note in his jumpsuit. I stepped into Seunghyun’s room, listening to the wheezes of oxygen and mechanical beeps. It hasn’t been 12 hours since the accident but I miss the dude. “Hey Big Seunghyun, you doing okay?” I wasn’t sure why I wanted to talk to him, but he knew a lot about Youngbae’s case since he was the main detective. He would have ideas about what the confusing things YB wrote meant. “I wish you were here to help me out with this. Everyone seems so busy nowadays…” I sighed deeply and set the journals on a side table. I took a seat next to his bed and opened up the first one, the first entry dating back to a little over 2 years ago. These things aren’t so old then…

 

June 18th, 2011

Blo Hyung gave me his old apartment, I got the keys today!

“Youngbae knew Tablo Hyung?” I frowned after the first sentence. The man gave me the apartment I used today, man, how many younger kids did this guy know?

The place is nice, not too big, just big enough for me and maybe even one day Chae will move in with me. I know we haven’t been dating long but she feels special to me.

“Hm, Chaerin did say they were high school sweethearts…” I mumbled to myself and gripped the book tighter. I guess even when he’s dead I still want to protect her from him.

There’s not much to life right now. This is our last year of high school and I want to hurry up and apply to some colleges. Maybe I’ll even get a basketball scholarship, which would be the best. Umma said she could barely pay for Hyungbae to go to college; she’s been having lots of troubles after Abeoji died. Anyway, I’m not much of a writer but I just wanted to jot my thoughts down. Oh! Blo Hyung left me something in my bedroom: a really cool new mirror!

I stopped reading right then and there, because I knew now where these entries would soon lead. He knew about Bottom’s Up. I jumped up and scratched my head in frustration, growling and almost slamming my fists into Seunghyun’s leg. It made sense now, everything did. It explained the note and even the signature. “TYB” stands for Tae Yang/Young Bae. He knew I had a mirror and he’s trying to tell me something. But something was holding me back from believing him; the people from Bottom’s Up were so…caring and considerate. It didn’t make sense at the same time, but now Daesung and Youngbae had both warned me. Read more, your mind won’t be so clouded then. So I stopped pacing around and I flopped back in my chair, cracking open the journal once more to start reading.

 

June 20th, 2011

Oh my God. What else can I say?! I just entered another world!! Apparently the mirror Blo Hyung gave me is a gateway to a world called Bottom’s Up where the clouds are on the ground and the skies are always some shade of orange. It’s freaky, I’ve been so close minded to not think that parallel universes were possible, but at the same time the town’s amazing. I met my other “half” in there. His name’s Taeyang. He has dyed tips on his faux hawk and liquid golden eyes. Everything suits him better than my features suit me…it’s almost like I’m the lesser half. It’s almost like Bottom’s Up has the better people, except my Chaerin is better than Ji’s. Oh my lord I almost strangled the guy for kissing my girlfriend’s mirror form. I don’t know who he is but I hate him already. Taeyang said we were supposed to be friends in our world but I don’t know how I can be friends with the guy who’s supposed to take my girlfriend away from me.

TY is a police officer. It’s really cool, he took me into the jailhouse, showed me around a bit, and then he took me up to the top floor of the prison. The three prisoners in the cells on the outside were pretty cool. Taeyang said the newest one was the guy with half and half black and silver hair. The girl and the younger looking guy with dark eye bags came in at the same time. And then the screwed up girl behind the door was the first, I saw her. To be honest I could see how TY dated her before, she’s pretty, but I still prefer my Chae Babe. I guess it was just a whole new experience for me. I need some adjustments and it’s late at night right now, so I’ll sleep on this and hopefully in the morning I get to see how much of this is real and what isn’t.

He seemed calmer than I was when I found out. He doesn’t write a lot in the first few entries but as I continue to read the journal I can see how his mind slowly adjusts and his emotions are more evident. Like when he writes in sadness there are tear stains on the paper and the writing is slightly smudged. Or at times where he’s angry the writing is so furiously written it’s on the verge of being illegible and the shades of the lead changes so you can see how many times he broke the lead. But, the person who writes these entries is totally different than the guy I learned to know. Can two years of associating with these people really change him that much?

 

July 31st, 2011

I met someone new in church today. He looked really familiar, like I’ve seen him before, so while exchanging peace I went over to him. He told me his name was Daesung and I realized that his double, D-Man, is another police officer in Bottom’s Up. I’m supposed to be friends with him so I stood with him for the rest of mass. Afterwards we went out for coffee and he told me he was trying to become a singer, he has a nice sound. I can see why he dropped out of high school to pursue that dream. He actually has a good shot. I told him about going to college and playing basketball, and then he asked me if that was what I really wanted to do. I answered him truthfully: ani. I don’t want to go to college to play basketball (it feels so good to admit that). Now that I’ve experienced Bottom’s Up I want to become part of the force. When I said that he laughed a little bit, I asked him why, and he totally came up and front with me and Bottom’s Up. What if I didn’t know? Wasn’t he afraid that I would flip out in public or did he somehow feel certain? Either way, I felt like we knocked down that barrier. He said he doesn’t talk to D-Man anymore, not for a long time, and he doesn’t think he’s gonna continue it anyway. I’m not sure why, but I didn’t pry.

First term ended about a month ago but I didn’t say this earlier, my grades weren’t so hot. Umma got really mad at me for getting low grades in math and history. I have an image to keep, I’m the tough guy on campus, but I wanted to cry. It’s so hard to stand next to Hyungbae and look good. She doesn’t like Daesung or Chaerin either, she calls them bad news but Daesung is only trying to follow his desires. I don’t understand what’s so wrong with my girlfriend though, I like her but apparently my happiness isn’t enough for her. Maybe…I shouldn’t care anymore. TY asked me for a favor. Maybe I should just focus on the people of Bottom’s Up. Ne…that sounds nice.

He’s slightly changing his views and priorities around this part, but it’s been a little over a month since he’s encountered the parallel universe. This is gonna take a long time to read. But I didn’t mind. Meeting Youngbae as a gangster made me realize that he seemed really hard to read, he was giving me something easier to read so I should make use of it. I doubt even Chaerin knew half of the stuff in these journals. I folded the corner of my page and walked out of Seunghyun’s room. There was still no call so I grabbed a cup of coffee from the waiting room in the hospital and went back into the room. I felt like I was going to stay a while longer.

 

August 28th, 2011

Taeyang and the people of Bottom’s Up asked me this really big favor before the school year starts. They want me to come up with a way to get them through our mirrors instead of just humans passing through. I’m not sure how they think I can do such a thing. I admit, I’m really stupid in a lot of subjects, but science is something I’m confident in…shockingly. I could do something here, I could change their lives. But it’s gonna take a while; I have to get started now.

 

It took them two months to bring up their desires to Youngbae, just exactly where in the timeline of craziness do Little Seunghyun and I lay?