Bar Fight

Bastard in the Mirror

Thank you to my newest subscribers: soojinCL, chocolakay, hannahhugs, and wisea! Thank you, also, to everyone else who constantly waits for these updates! I know it's tough but please bear a bit longer!

 

____

For a week that was all the two of us were into. Now that I’m not working with Daesung anymore, the office seemed really quiet and depressing without him around so I spent more time at Dara’s place just so I could have an atmosphere that was loud and lively. Seunghyun was there often too, you know, dating Minji and such. The two seemed to be very compatible, one day I might just have to pat myself on the back. So, I was continuing to read different books on the topic but there wasn’t much. Mirrors and magic don’t really seem to mix well in these tales.

I set another thick book on top of the other and sighed, rubbing my stinging eyes. Nothing useful, there’s absolutely nothing. I didn’t know why I was getting stressed out about it, oh wait yeah I remember. It’s been 7 long days ever since I last talked to Ji and the others they’re probably freaking out. Whatever, I’ll just look for Seunghyun. The largest possibility was that Seunghyun would be trying to dumb things down a bit for Minji in her room upstairs but my legs felt numb. If I tried to stand, I’d probably fall on my face. “Don’t tell me you’re still reading,” I looked up and saw Dara walking over. I chuckled a bit and shook my head.

“No, it’s starting to hurt my eyes,” I told her as she sat down and rested her head in my shoulder.

“Why are you and Little Seunghyun looking at all these books?” she picked up one. “Aren’t these things like folklore and myths?”

“Yeah, he wanted to do some research and I’m helping out,” I sighed. If only I could find something.

“That’s sweet, you know, I think Minji really likes him,” I nodded with a slight smile.

“Yeah, they’re cute kids,” I chuckled and then suddenly remembered about Chaerin. “Um, how’s Chaerin and Youngbae?” I asked when I felt Dara’s hand grip mine.

“I’m a bit worried about that one,” she admitted softly and sat up straighter. “I think Youngbae’s a gangster…”

I dropped my jaw, all thoughts from my brain washed away. “Huh? Wh-where’d you get that idea?” as far as I remember, Taeyang didn’t think of Youngbae as a ‘moralistic person’ as himself. Did that mean his disgust dealt with more than just dating Chaerin?

“I’ve heard them talking on the phone sometimes. He talks like it when they’re alone and Chae’s always worrying about him when he says he goes to do ‘errands’,” she put air quotes around that particular word which made me feel chilled to the bone. Errands, how despicable to call those types of things that nonchalant word. Woah, what the ? I’m hanging around Seunghyun way too often. 

“Still, I remember you said he was polite and stuff,” I recalled and she shrugged.

“I think he’s just pulling one over on us, he acts well when we’re around and they’re video chatting but it’s different when they’re alone,” she mumbled and I sighed deeply.

“Why would Chaerin hide that so much?” I asked back.

“Bom doesn’t like it if the people her younger cousins are dating aren’t good influences, that’s why she likes Seunghyun,” Dara told me. If Dara gets worked up over something she tends to stay worked up unless it’s either proven right or wrong. I should get involved, since Ji said I would end up with Chaerin, it’s better if I help her out with her relationship.

“Well, I could look into it if you’re so worried,” I suggested and Dara kissed my cheek causing me to smile.  

“That’d be great! I think she’s seeing him tonight since he’s in town, at some bar, could you watch out for her? For Bom?” Dara wondered and I nodded. She said it was for Bom, but I could tell it was also for her.

“Sure.”

After dinner Chaerin left almost immediately which caused Dara and Bom to hurry me out the door so I wouldn’t lose her. “I’m going! I’m going!” I hissed at the two and looked around the streets when I noticed Chaerin’s signature blonde disappearing behind a corner. I bolted in that direction, feeling a slight idea of what bar she might be headed to. It was a couple minutes before my spirits were lifted; it was the bar where Big Seunghyun worked at. There wasn’t a sea of people, but I would still be able to blend in without Chaerin seeing me. I sat down at the bar and Seunghyun greeted me immediately.

“Hey Jiyong! Long time no see!” he chuckled and I smirked at him.

“Ne, I’ve been busy with some personal stuff. I’m watching a friend’s cousin while she’s out with her boyfriend, so I’ll just have a beer,” I told him and he set down the dripping bottle. I popped the cap off by slamming it against the rim of the counter and took a swig.

“Ah, what a caring oppa,” he grinned and I rolled my eyes. He doesn’t know the true reason; let him think what he wants to think.

“Whatever,” I scoffed and he chuckled deeply. Then Youngbae walked in. He was easy to spot out even without the blonde but the fohawk was still there and his jawline was square. Even if his facial features were distinguishable his clothing was quite different. A black bandana was tied around the crown of his head and he wore a leather jacket and pants.

“Chae Babe!” he raised his hand and smiled at Chaerin, but she didn’t seem to return half of the smile. They hugged and sat down but I couldn’t hear them clearly from my counter seat. I turned to Seunghyun.

“Wanna help me out, Hyung?” I asked and he smirked.

“Sure thing, wait a minute,” he went to the back and shouted some stuff before coming out and wiping his hands on a towel. “What do you need?”

“If I get too close she’ll recognize me, do you think you can eavesdrop?” I wondered and he laughed.

“Oh yeah, sure! I gotcha,” he grinned and jumped over the counter, seating himself at a nearby table. I swiveled in my chair to avoid watching him but I was tempted. What would he find? What kind of man is Youngbae? So I tried to get my mind off things, I thought about my drink, I thought about the weather, I thought about Bottoms Up.

My mind wondered some more until a loud thud broke my train of thoughts. Multiple women screaming also forced me to look around and my eyes widened. Seunghyun and Youngbae were totally fighting it out! “Ya! Idiot what do you think you’re doing?!” I ran over there as Seunghyun grabbed the much shorter male by his shoulders and tried to pull him away but the guy’s much taller and heavier than me! I attempted to break in between the two and shoved the other away from each other. “Enough! Seunghyun, what the ?!” I raised my arms at him and he pointed at Youngbae.

“The bastard slapped her!” Seunghyun insisted and tried to advance once more but I pushed him back. I looked at Youngbae and fury bubbled in my stomach. Oh, this little er is gonna get it. Just wait until Bom gets her hands on you! Without thinking of it I launched my fist into his jaw and Seunghyun ran beside me to knock his face the opposite direction.

“Dickhead! What makes you think you can slap a girl?!” I shouted, moving tables and chairs in order to make room to pound the little . I had no idea why I was so upset. I haven’t been this mad since…I’ve never been this mad before. It was better too since Seunghyun and I were getting a rhythm. Youngbae managed to land a couple solid punches and kicks in my legs and stomach, but I couldn’t feel them at the moment. The bar scene totally escaped me, I was so focused that I didn’t notice Youngbae putting his hand in his pocket. Then I saw the gleaming of metal and I stopped Seunghyun from landing another fist. “He’s got a gun!”

“Punch me again! Let’s see where that goes!” Youngbae held an already cocked gun and was aiming at Seunghyun and I. Finally I could hear the screams, everyone else ran out from the bar. The atmosphere was thick and almost suffocating me. Ho this bastard is armed. I glanced at Seunghyun who his lips and had this stiff look on his face. Is he not afraid?! Is this guy fearless?!

“Let-let’s not get irrational,” I held up my hands and backed up slowly. When did eavesdropping turn into a fight for life?!

“Drop the gun,” Seunghyun said calmly. What the ?!

“Make me!” Youngbae challenged, gritting his blood stained teeth. Suddenly I realized the damage the two of us inflicted on him. His left eye was blackening and swelling to the brink of closure. There was a purple bruise on his jawline along with bleeding scratches and, like before, his mouth was bleeding.

“I said to drop it,” Seunghyun mumbled through gritted teeth. All of a sudden he dropped to the ground and kicked Youngbae’s feet off balance. The gangster fell back, surprised, and threw his gun into the air making my instincts snap. I leapt into the air and snatched the gun, landing on my feet with a little stumble. “Jiyong!” he didn’t have to say what he needed. I turned back and threw the gun into his waiting hand where he aimed it square at Youngbae’s head. “Not so tough eh?” he breathed heavily, the side of his lip bleeding. The bar was quiet, tables and chairs were on their sides or even obliterated, and it was only the three of us in the room. As I was standing there I could feel a headache coming on and the numbing pain was beginning to churn in my tummy. I groaned and leaned onto a standing chair, eventually falling into it.

“God, you’re such a bastard,” I hissed and rubbed my eyes tiredly. Suddenly I heard thumping footsteps and looked up to see Chaerin sprinting out of the bar. I totally forgot about the reason I started punching this guy… “Chaerin! Seunghyun! Call the cops or something!” I told the elder and ran after Chaerin.

She wouldn’t go home, not to see her unnies like that. Where else would she be? I raked my fingers through my hair, searching desperately for that stupid girl. How could she go so long with a guy like that? Hitting her, abusing her, doing illegal acts like carrying firearms. Who the is this guy?! It was getting dark out and the street lights weren’t helping much, I didn’t have much time left. The roads were getting busier and the sidewalks were filling with people I didn’t want to be near. Gosh this girl! Making me worry! “Chaerin ah!” I screamed and slapped my forehead. I took a few deep breaths before continuing. “Where are you, you punk?” I groaned.

“Jeez, Oppa, can you be any louder?” I turned around and sighed deeply as the girl I had been looking for was in front of me. Although, it had been obvious she was crying, her mascara was running and her face was flushed.

“Chaerin…” I mumbled and pulled her into my arms. I cared for her, of course, as an older brother. Wouldn’t you be pissed if your little sister got slapped in the face by her boyfriend? I held her tightly in my arms as she cried into my shoulder; I gently patted down her hair and moved to the inside of the sidewalk. “Are you okay?”

“Ani,” she admitted in tears.

“He’s a douche, let’s just head home,” I told her and she nodded. “I already beat the out of him, no worries,” I added and she smiled as I put my arm around her. I liked the feeling of protecting her and knowing she was safe. I guess, since I worry a lot, feeling calm was a good feeling to have once in a while.

“Thanks for spying on me, Oppa.”

“No problem, I’m definitely doing it again.”