Battle of the Mind

Beastly Blood

It was time for everyone to set out and find a Gateway. I saw Junhyung, Yoseob, Hyunseung, and Kikwang muttering to themselves, surrounding a small table that held a map of the Vampire Shadowrealm.

"Any known Gateways, Kikwang?" Yoseob asked.

"There are some here......here......here.....and in the Capital, of course." Kikwang pointed with his finger at the places. "But they're all too far. I mean, look -- this Gateway to the human world is halfway across the world, past the Adrius Sea."

"That's ridiculous." Junhyung snapped, looking impatient. "There's gotta be some Gateways nearby."

"Well, there's always the Capital....." Hyunseung mumbled.

"What? Go there and risk sudden death? If it wasn't for Jimi's shield Ability, we'd all have died!" Junhyung snapped.

"It's our only chance to get back home!" Hyunseung said, firing up at once. "If Jimi can control her Ability, we can walk in there without a care in the world!"

"YAH!" Yoseob shouted angrily. "Don't you dare put all the pressure on Jimi! She'll consider it a burden to protect everyone!"

"You think I don't care?" Hyunseung snapped back. "You're not the only one here who cares about Jimi, okay?"

"I've known her longest!" Yoseob yelled furiously. "She's MY best friend! I know her inside out! I know she'll consider it her duty to protect everyone! She's an easily fragile girl, you have no idea how delicate and precious she is! Too much pressure will break her, I'm sure of it!"

"Enough already!" Kikwang yelled, standing up, his chair clattering underneath him. "Hyunseung -- back off, this is hard for all of us. Yoseob -- we understand your reasons, but you aren't the only one here who cares about Jimi. Sit down, all of you. It's true -- we can't put too much pressure on Jimi. We don't know how well her shields will work. We should all try and come up with a better solution........"

They went back to muttering again.

I heard enough. I backed away and ran down the hallway. They probably didn't notice me listening in.

So it was all up to me. If I could control my Ability.........

I heard Yoseob's words repeating in my head. "......you have no idea how delicate and precious she is! Too much pressure will break her...." 

I thank you, Yoseob, for caring so much about me. But I had to do this. So what if I think it's my responsibilty to protect everyone? They all protected me when we came here. Now it was my turn to protect them.

I ran to the entrance hall and found Yuri, Jessica, and Sooyoung chatting happily. I panted as I rested to a halt. "what's up, Jimi?" Jessica asked.

There was only one person I knew could help me.........

"Sooyoung." I gasped. "I need to learn how to control my Ability, and fast."