Gateway

Beastly Blood

Doojoon finally woke up. He sat up slightly then collapsed back down onto the bed weakly, groaning as he clutched his aching head with both hands. He had a massive headache and felt extremely light-headed for some reason, like he lost a large amount of blood in a short time........

Then he remembered. That night. He was sleeping when a sudden noise woke him up. His door opened by itself. He thought it might be Jimi, so he got up to check, then some.......MONSTER..........grabbed him. He heard it growl in hunger, then something sharp pierced his neck..........and he passed out. He knew enough about demons from his little sister to know that the monster must have been a Vampire. And it wasn't human. No human could move so fast.

He forced himself to sit up, and he stared around the room in alarm. This wasn't his bedroom. He was in a large, fancy room in a King-sized bed and fancily carved closets and chests of drawers. A thick fluffy carpet was on the floor. Any source of natural light from the french windows were covered by thick curtains. Only the dim light coming from the crystal chandelier above him gave out light.

The door opened, and I walked in.

"Oppa!" I squealed, running to him.

Doojoon caught me as I threw my arms around him. "Oof.....J-Jimi.....ow......"

"Oh, sorry oppa! I forgot, you're still weak!" I quickly let go of him but kissed his cheek. I sat down on the bed beside him. "How do you feel?"

"Like I just got my blood out by a Vampire. Jimi, what's going on? Where am I?"

"You...uh.....you're in Yoseob's mansion."

Doojoon stared at you with his deep, penetrating eyes. "Jimi.....you weren't sick, were you? Something else is going on. What's happened?"

I grimaced and told the whole story to him in a rush. Doojoon's eyes got wider and wider until they almost popped out of his skull.

"Jimi.....do you have any idea how DANGEROUS this is?"

"I had to stay here, oppa!" I pleaded. "They would have killed you if I didn't!"

"Who cares about me, Jimi? They want YOUR blood, not mine."

"They won't let me leave."

"You don't sound that upset."

"I was in the beginning, trust me. But I forgave them later. They may be selfish and ignorant and incredibly dangerous to hang around, but they are really sweet guys -- all of them are. They risked their lives protecting me. And you, too, when you were unconscious."

I gazed at him with big puppy eyes. "Pleeeeeeeease don't hate them, oppa. They're really nice people."

Doojoon groaned and scratched his head. "Aish, your aegyeo is too much to handle. How am I going to explain this to our parents?"

I looked sheepish. "I don't know......and I can't exactly go back home with you. They refuse to let me leave the mansion, unless I'm playing in the backyard or I'm in the greenhouse."

Doojoon swore under his breath. "I'm going to have a nice long chat with Yoseob........."

"I'm here, hyung." Yoseob said, stepping into the room.

Doojoon's eyes widened slightly at the obvious changes in Yoseob, but kept his cool.

"So, you're......uh.......a Dhampir, now." He said, struggling to find the right words.

"Yeah." Yoseob mumbled, his back to the wall. I didn't think he was so far away because he was hungry -- it was because he didn't want to scare Doojoon.

Doojoon suddenly grinned. "Nice to have you back, bro."

Yoseob smiled back, and walked forward. The two of them bumped fists.

"Ugh, boys." I sighed affectionately. I couldn't stop smiling. The two most important people in my life were finally reunited. It's like nothing ever changed.

Hyunseung walked by. "Oh, the human is awake. Somebody better make him breakfast."

"Can't you do it, Hyunseung?" I asked him. Hyunseung was a very good cook.

Hyunseung gave me a sly smile. "Only if you let me eat first."

Yoseob's eyes flashed red. "Go. Away. NOW."

Chuckling, Hyunseung walked away.

Doojoon started to get out of bed. I was instantly worried. "Oppa, are you well enough? Don't push it!"

"I'm fine." He panted from the effort, smiling at me. "Honestly, Jimi, you worry too much."

"Somebody should support you downstairs." I said.

"There's nobody tall enough." Yoseob said. "Wow, hyung, did you grow even more last time I saw you?"

Doojoon nodded smugly. "I'm exaclty 180 cm now."

I paused, deep in thought. Then I called out "Dongwoon!"

Dongwoon appeared by my side in a heartbeat, smiling excitedly.

"What does Jimi want me to do?" He asked happily. "What does Jimi want me to do?"

"Can you please get oppa down to the kitchen?" I asked him. "Gently?"

"Right! Yes! Of course! Whatever Jimi says!" Dongwoon appeared by Doojoon's side and hoisted an arm over his shoulder.

"Oh, um..." Dongwoon paused. "Sorry about the blood thing."

"What?" Doojoon yelped. "You mean.....YOU WERE THE ONE THAT DRANK MY BLOOD???!!!"

Dongwoon disappeared and then, in a burst of speed, appeared in the kitchen. Just as I ordered, he gently placed the dizzy Doojoon in a kitchen chair.

"Hello, Jimi's brother!" Kikwang said cheerfully. "I'm Kikwang, a Vampire prince and your future brother-in-law."

"I'm Junhyung, a Vampire rebel and a criminal on the run." Junhyung smirked.

Hyunseung appeared and grabbed a piece of toast. "I'm Jang Hyunseung, a Dhampir who is a Vampire Hunter. And that over there is Dongwoon, a Newborn who has the ability to destroy the world."

"That guy?" Doojoon asked in disbelief, pointing at Dongwoon, who was crouching in a corner like he always did. Yoseob and I had entered the kitchen, and I was petting Dongwoon as a reward for helping me. Dongwoon sighed in pleasure as I his hair.

"Hungry, oppa?" I asked.

"More than anything." He grabbed whoever gave him a plate of food and began devouring it.

"You get very hungry in here for some reason." I said seriously, eating my own food.

Once we finished eating, Kikwang looked up and smiled. "Hey, guess what? I installed a Gateway."

There was an instant commotion. "A Gateway?" Yoseob asked excitedly. "Where?"

"The attic, of course."

"What's a Gateway?" Doojoon asked, frowning.

"It's a portal that can transport you to other worlds." Yoseob explained.

"This one leads straight to the Vampire Shadowrealm, too." Junhyung said. "Kikwang is over the moon -- he's always wanted to study the science of Gateways."

"Of course!" Kikwang's eyes shined brightly with excitement. "I'll figure out a way to recreate Gateways! This will greatly benefact my research!"

"Interesting." Hyunseung said calmly. "Let's go see it."

We traipsed up what seemed like thousands of stairs until we reached the attic.

Kikang opened the door, and I gasped. Standing right in the middle of the attic room was a humongous, beautiful gate. It was made of pure gold, and seemed to be glowing a soft electric blue and silver light. It pulsed with energy. The space inside the Gate was nothing but silvery-white fog sparked by the occasional line of blue.

"Wow, I never saw a Gateway this big before." Yoseob said admiringly.

"Yeah, but there's one part of it that I haven't fixed yet." Kikwang said, turning to the stacks of cardboard boxes scattered throughout the dusty room. "Help me find it. It looks like.........THIS."

"What the hell is THAT?"

"You know........THIS shape."

"THAT shape could be a lot of things, DumbKwang!"

"Whatever, just look for it! It's so we can turn off the Gateway or turn it on anytime we want."

As the other creatures began searching the boxes, Doojoon and I walked up to the Gateway.

I was completely enthralled by the breathtaking beauty of the Gateway. "It's so beautiful....."

My hand moved, almost on its own. My fingers twitched, and I started to stretch my hand out to touch the silvery mist in the Gateway.

"Jimi, be careful!" Doojoon warned, holding my hand and staying close to me.

Yoseob noticed what was going on. His face paled. "NO, JIMI!!!! DON'T TOUCH IT!!!!!!!"

Too late.

My fingers brushed at the silvery fog, and suddenly something that resembled an electrical shock ripped through me. I screamed as my body began to glow the same silvery-blue light as the Gateway did. Doojoon yelled in shock too, when he began to glow since he was connected to me.

"What's going on?" He yelled.

"Yoseob!" I screamed.

Yoseob reached out to grab me, but before he could there was a sudden loud explosion and a bright light. The creatures had to shut their eyes in pain.

When they could open their eyes again, Doojoon and I were gone.

"! They crossed worlds!" Junhyung swore.

"What are we going to do?" Hyunseung yelled in panic.

Dongwoon wasted no time thinking it over. With a startled cry, he jumped straight into the Gateway.

"The Newborn's right. We have to get them out of there!" Kikwang said, jumping in after him.

One by one, the creatures crossed the Gateway and left the attic..........and Earth altogether.

********************************************************************************************************************************************

"Owwww. what happened?" I groaned. Spots swam before my eyes.

No.........it wasn't just spots. Stars, too. I realized it wasn't me, but the place I was in. Doojoon and I were falling in a big spiral, spots and stars and dots showering around us.

"What the---what's happening?" Doojoon yelled.

Welcome, humans. A voice, cool and calm, said. I didn't know if it was a man or a woman speaking. The sound seemed to be speaking directly into my brain.

"Who are you?" I shouted.

Welcome, humans. The voice repeated.

With another loud "oof" we crashed to the ground. I rubbed my head and looked around. We were in a dark, twisted forest. I gasped as I looked up at the pitch-black sky.

The moon was full, and blood red. A full blood moon.

The eerie voice faded away, but not until I heard the last of the voice's words.

Welcome, humans, to the Vampire Shadowrealm.

Here you shall embrace your destiny............and your death.