Tenth Flight

Parachute

A few silent moment passed by before I could think of something to say to Kyung; I wasn’t even sure what to say to him. Clearing my throat, I looked at Kyung and raised my chin a little, “What’s one thing you want to know about me?”
Kyung immediately smiled at my question and shifted his weight on the bed, “I’ve told you about how my parents had kicked me out; what’s the story about your family?”
My shoulders lowered at his question; though I should have opposed to answer this question and told him to ask me another one, I didn’t. With a sigh, I nodded, “My family,” I began, “I live with my mother and step-father. My father died a year ago after being shot in the streets. No one called for help nor did they try do anything to prevent the shooting from happening,” I explained, “and that’s it.” The smile on Kyung’s face had suddenly disintegrated from his face and he sat quietly for a couple of seconds. “I bet you feel bad for me, huh?” I asked, breaking the silence; not liking the silence one bit.

“I’m sorry,” he finally said; looking up at me, his eyes were full of discontent.
I shrugged, “I’ve gotten over it; life goes on,”
“So, then, the other night—something happened within your family that resulted in you getting harmed.” He stated rather than questioned, “Did your step-father—”
“I said I was only answering one thing and I answered it,” I interrupted him before he could finish his question. I folded my arms and took a step back from Kyung, “I’m going to go now,”
“I bet your father was a really great guy,” I bit the bottom of my lip and just nodded. I could hear the shuffling his clothes and the soft steps of his as he walked towards me. “I’ll walk you home,” he said, wrapping a hand around mine, “it’s too dark for you to walk alone.” I didn’t object or anything since he was right about it being dark.

As we walked out his room, the house was quiet. Kyung slightly turned to look at me with the same discontent look on his face. Was something bothering him? The minute that we exit the house, the sound of chatter and laughter clogged my hearing. I guess it should have been obvious that if they weren’t inside that they would be outside. Kyung led us through a path that wouldn’t disturb them from drinking or talking. But before we could leave their sight, a voice—Zico’s voice—called from behind for Kyung.

“Already done doing your business, huh, Kyung?” He laughed afterwards. Kyung ignored Zico and kept walking. I tried to keep up with him, but every time that I do, he sped up his pace. Something was definitely bothering him, but what could it have been? As soon as it was just the two of us walking—and when he finally slowed his walking pace—I cleared my throat to ask him a question.

“Is there something bothering you?”
Kyung slightly looked over at me and shook his head, “What makes you think something is bothering me?”
“Your face,” I answered bluntly.
“Are we already to the point where you can read my emotions now?” He said with a slight tease.
I sighed in annoyance, “After I told you about my father, you looked bothered.”
He shook his head, “Nope; I’m not bothered,”
“If it’s about me getting hurt, then you don’t really have to worry about.” I said, “Things like this happen and it can’t… be helped.” I mutter the last couple of words, feeling a bit uneasy about them.
“So you’re saying this has happened before then?” Without hesitation, I nodded in response, which Kyung stiffened. He sighed and softly said my name, “I… care and worry about you a lot nowadays.” The minute that he confessed this, I could feel my heart tightened, squeezing all the blood in my heart and making my head lose conscious for a quick second. “I… think I—”
I let go of Kyung’s hand, knowing what he was going to confess to me next. I balled my fist and took a step back from him, “I think I can walk myself home from this point on.”
He smirked at me, “I'll see you at school then."

-



Waking up the next morning, my heart was raced unreasonably. I had an idea why, but I didn’t want to think of it. After hearing him tell me that he cared and worried about me, I don’t know why, but my conscious quickly told me to not let him continue with his words and not further our relationship. We were to remain a tutor-and-student relationship and nothing else. Though I agreed with this,  there was this small voice inside my head that opposed it, saying that I should take our relationship further. He’s the first person to talk to me ever since I decided to isolate from everyone. My isolation was to make sure I pay attention in school and be the number one student in school. Having a relationship with someone would only interrupt me from doing so. But because of him, I feel like my isolation has drifted from my mindset and I’ve come to be open—with him, of course. With a sigh, I sat up on my bed and stared blankly at my door.
The house was oddly quiet for a weekend, especially since it was a Sunday. My mother should be home and that man should be sitting before the television, watching whatever show he liked. Curiosity filled my mind, so I got up off the ground and took a couple of steps towards the door. My hands touched the flimsy door and I slowly slid my door open just enough for me to see.

Empty.

I raised a brow in question, “Where could they be?” I shrugged and slid the door back into place. I had to meet up with Kyung today, so I couldn’t be lazing around like I used to. Turning back to face my room, I decided to get ready for the day. As I walked towards my drawer, I noticed something sitting atop it. My eyes narrowed in suspicion at the piece of folded paper and I grabbed it. Unfolding the paper, I had an uneasy gut-feeling twisting within my body. “We’ve gone to a relative’s house and won’t be back in the next two days.” I read the paper aloud to myself. My lips twisted at the paper, “I guess it would explain why it’s quiet today.” I set the paper back on my drawer.

 

-



My eyes widened in horror at the sight of a scar visible on the left of Kyung’s cheek. Before I could make any comment about his scar, Kyung shook his head and took a seat next to me.
“Don’t worry about what happened to me,” he assured with a smile on his face, “I got too excited last night with the boys that I accidently hurt myself.”
“Are you prone to getting yourself hurt or something,” I commented, staring at the scar on his face. It was red and looked like it was treated poorly. It looked like he had fallen into a pile of sharp-ended glass and one coincidently took a slash at his cheek. My hand had moved on its own and touched his cheek without warning, “let me treat it,” I said without any initial thought.
Kyung stared at me for a long second before saying anything, “We’re in the library and I’ll be fine,”
“It looks badly treated,” I frowned, “what did you do?” I emphasized the question.
“I told you not to worry about it,” Kyung repeated himself, “we should focus on doing assignments, shouldn’t we?”
“Fine,” I nodded in agreement and took out my assignments. Kyung does the same and cleared his throat as he gets comfortable in his chair. After a couple minutes of silence, Kyung elbowed my arm; I turned to look at him, “What is it?”

“This question,” he pointed to a problem on the paper, “how do I find the slope with that fraction there?” I stared at the problem for a couple of seconds, processing the problem in my head and figuring out the steps to solving it. With a nod, I leaned back and pointed my finger at the first fraction.
“Simplify the fractions, find the least common multiple, and then you can multiply it across, which would result in crossing out the relativity and give you whole numbers.” I explained, “After that, you should be able to figure out how to find the slope.”
Kyung smiled and asked, “How are you so smart at math?”
I furrowed my brows at his answer, “What kind of question is that to even ask?”
“I’m curious,” he shrugged, “I mean, if you ask any other person on the street to do these kinds of problem, I’m sure the majority of them would say that they don’t know how to or would need some time to think the problem through.” He explained, “You just solved this problem with seconds.”
“It’s obvious that I learned how to do math, isn’t it?” I answered him, “It’s not a hard subject to learn, really.”
“How did you learn it then?” He pressed on with his questions.
I sighed, “I learned it from my father,”
“Makes sense,” he mumbled to himself, which I heard and frowned.
“Are you done asking me questions?” I asked annoyingly.

“Are you tired of me asking you questions?” The smile on his face widened, mocking me in a way. I scowled and scooted my chair away from him. He laughed at my reaction and scooted his chair closer to me and whispered, “You look cute angry.” His comment caused me to stiffen and have my lungs stop functioning for a long second before I turned to look at him.
“Stop,” I said through clenched teethes, “I’m not here for you to flirt with,”
“Who said I was flirting with you?” Kyung leaned back, “I was only giving you a compliment.”
“Well, it isn’t needed.” I answered back, “I’ve already told you that—”
“Fine,” Kyung interrupted me with a sigh, “sometimes I think you’re really dull about knowing what a guy is saying to you.” He bluntly said and turned away from me. I cringed at his comment and as much as I wanted to refute back, I stayed quiet.

-


About mid-way through our session, I noticed that Kyung had been awfully quiet, which is unlike him because he would usually ask me a question every ten minutes or so. Scribbling down numbers to end my last problem, I glanced to the side and saw that Kyung had his head on the table. With one last curve of my pencil, I placed it on the table and turned my full attention at the male sitting beside me. My eyes narrowed; only one thing would explain why his head is on the table and why he had been quiet: he was obviously sleeping. I frowned, “I was told to tutor you,” I mumbled the words and scooted my chair to Kyung. I placed a hand on Kyung’s shoulder and shook him, “wake up.”

No movement was made from him. I sighed and shook him again with more force this time, hoping that it would at least get him to realize that he was asleep. But the result of this turned out different than I had imagined. One minute Kyung’s eyes opened, then the side of my face met with the cold surface of the table; our eyes were parallel to each other. He stared at me, “You’re annoying me,”
I tried to move my head, but his hand had a strong hold on the back of my head. I clenched my jaw and responded to his comment, “You’re not supposed to be sleeping,” I hissed at him, “I’m supposed to helping you with your math homework not watch you and let you do whatever you want.”
He smirked and forced my head to move closer to him; he said my name with a raspy tone, “Here’s one thing you should know about me: I hate it when someone disturbs me when I’m sleeping.” He said, “I usually make people apologize for it or make them do things for me, but since it’s you who disturbed me,” he forced my head closer to his—our nose were just barely touching, “I might have to be harsh on you.”
I furrowed my brows, “What do you mean?”
“Remember when I said you are dull in knowing what a guy is saying to you?” I nodded at his question. He smiled in response, “Well, how about I show you what I mean,
rather than say it to you.”
“Kyung—” I tried to oppose, but he interrupted me with a kiss. All I could think about for the next couple of seconds was how things had suddenly escalated to this. He pulled away and smiled sweetly at me before releasing my head; then he fell back to sleep.

 

 


author's note: Thanks for reading!!! Things are probably escalating quickly but... you'll see why soon!
@kissme4life_99: hahaha yeah~ thanks for reading ^^
@Yerlie303: rofl hohoho well he really did kiss her this time >:D nahahaha! lol thanks for reading!
@kretzuu: thanks!! (: