Six

The Return [The Fallen II] (Permanent Hiatus)

 

“And here is some honey for your tea,” the waiter of a small café placed a jar of the thick golden sugar next to your cup and saucer. He took a step back from your table and hugged his serving tray to his chest, “If you ever need anything, don’t hesitate to ask.”

“I will. Thank you,” you leaned forward to read his nameplate that was pinned to his apron, “Kyungsoo.”

When you gave him a smile, you noticed his wide eyes soften and his full lips twitch up into a bashful smile.

“No problem, Miyo – I mean miss,” he stuttered and quickly bowed before scurrying off to help other customers.

You chuckled a little to yourself and turned back to your tea, gently lifting the porcelain cup off of the saucer and to your lips.

Warmth took over your body as you took your first sip of tea. You sighed in pure bliss as you carefully placed the cup back on the saucer.

You glanced around the café casually. It was quiet, comfortable. There were only a handful of customers at other tables. As your eyes scanned the café, they landed on two guys, dressed in all black and no more than one or two years older than you. They were sitting at a table directly across the room from yours and looking straight back at you.

When your eyes met theirs, they quickly looked down, suddenly interested in their coffee mugs. Furrowing your eyebrows, you turned back to your tea. But out of the corner of your eye, you saw their heads lift back up and turn to face you again.

An unsettling feeling dropped into your stomach, your heart starting to beat faster under their stares. You tried to ignore them and focus on your tea. But when you saw one of them suddenly pull out a cell phone and punch in a number while taking quick glances at you, your mind went on high alert.

On impulse and following your gut, you quickly downed the rest of your tea, ignoring the way it scorched on your tongue, and threw a few bills down on the table to cover the bill and tip.

You stood up and grabbed your shopping bags off the floor before hurrying out of the café, not even taking a glance behind you.

---

“Yeah, hyung, I just served her a few minutes ago,” Kyungsoo said into his cell phone as he pretended to arrange a few boxes in the back room of the café.

Suho turned down a hallway in the hospital and handed a clipboard to one of the nurses, “And she seemed okay?”

“Perfectly fine,” Kyungsoo leaned against the shelf and flicked some dirt out from under his fingernails.

The older boy heaved a sigh as he slouched against a wall of an empty hallway, “That’s good.”

“Why are you having me do this again?” Kyungsoo questioned, “I really should be preparing with the other guys for our mission that’s tonight, not watching your girlfriend drink tea.”

“I just,” Suho stopped and took a deep breath, rubbing his face with one hand, “We had a small fight before I dropped her off and I just want to make sure she’s okay.”

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and shook his head. Suho was always such the worrywart. But he couldn’t help but notice how tense and guarded Suho’s voice was.

“Are you sure that’s the real reason?”

Suho gave no response.

Kyungsoo pulled the phone away from his ear to make sure that Suho was still on the line, “Hyung?”

“It’s Kang,” Suho muttered.

Kyungsoo eyes widened and he stood up straight, “What?”

Suho took a deep breath and closed his eyes, “I got a message from him. He knows that she’s still alive and that she’s still with me.”

The earth Guardian’s jaw dropped and he almost lost the grip he had on his cellphone.

“I’m just worried about her,” Suho continued, “I didn’t even want to let her go shopping by herself but I had to. I can’t let her find out that she’s still an Angel, she would hate me for lying to her, especially about something this big.”

Kyungsoo felt his heart clench for his leader as he walked towards the door to the back room and peeked into the sitting area, “Well you don’t have to worry, hyung, she’s right – oh no.”

 Suho stood up straight and his eyes hardened, “What do you mean ‘Oh, no’?”

Kyungsoo frantically looked around the café for you, but found that you were nowhere in sight. He ran over to your table, only to find a more than generous tip, an empty teacup, and a full jar of honey.

“She’s not here anymore,” he mumbled into the phone. 

What do you mean ‘She’s not here anymore’?” Suho choked out, feeling his throat clog up and his heart race in his chest as he started to panic.

“She’s not here!” Kyungsoo ran out of the café and looked up and down the busy street, getting on his toes to see over the people passing by, “I left her table for like two minutes and now she’s gone!”

Suho kicked off the wall he was leaning against and started to make his way towards the men’s locker room, “Don’t panic, Kyungsoo-ah. I’ll just give her a call.”

“I’m so sorry, hyung,” he said, almost in tears.

“This isn’t your fault,” Suho reassured him, “It’s mine.”

---

You weaved through the crowd of people on the street as discreetly as you could without drawing attention to yourself.

You glanced over your shoulder and saw that the two men from the café were a few feet behind you, snaking through the crowd and obviously following you. It seemed that they were more hunting you than following you, like lions stalking their prey. You didn’t know who they were or what they wanted, but you were certain that they were dangerous.

You reached into your purse and pulled out your phone with shaky hands. You were just about to dial Suho’s number when his name lit up your screen.

“Suho,” you quickly brought the phone up to your ear.

“Miyoung! Are you okay?” you could hear him panting on the other side.

“Suho, there’s two guys following me,” you muttered, your voice starting to break.

You heard him cursed under his breath and the starting of a car engine, “Okay, just go back to the spot where I dropped you off, I’ll be there in ten minutes.”

“What’s going on?” you pleaded for an explanation and took another glance over your shoulder, “I’m getting scared.”

“Don’t worry, Miyoung-ah, everything is going to be okay,” he said in a soothing voice, “Just stay on the line with me and keep walking.”

“Okay,” you mumbled, “But-”

Your sentence was cut off when you bumped into something, knocking your phone out of your hand and sending it to the concrete with a clatter.

Your felt your heart drop into your stomach and your whole body tense in fear when you looked up and saw a pair of familiar blood red eyes staring straight into yours.

“Hello, Miyoung,” Kang said casually with his infamous smirk, “We meet again.”

---

Dun, dun, duuuuunnnn. Hehehe now the real action starts! Hope you all enjoyed the chapter!

~Admin Kelc