Twenty

The Return [The Fallen II] (Permanent Hiatus)

You sighed and rested your chin on your knees as you hugged your legs to your chest. You pulled out your phone and checked it for any messages while a movie played in the background.

“Nothing,” you whispered to yourself and puffed out your cheeks.

Just as you locked your phone screen and directed your attention back to the television screen, a boom of thunder echoed outside the concrete walls of the mansion and the room plunged into darkness. You sat still for a few moments, your heart starting to beat against your ribcage as the thought of being completely alone crept up to the forefront of your mind.

Shakily standing up from Suho’s chair, you used the light from your phone to navigate your way towards the door. As you placed your hand on the doorknob, Suho’s words echoed in mind.

‘If anything goes wrong, just call and I’ll come back here. And –’

‘No leaving the communications room,’ you finished with a nod.

You released the your hold on the doorknob and locked the door’s deadbolt instead. You briskly walked over to the wooden desk and searched the draws, jumping slightly with ever clap of thunder that echoed through the mansion.

“Yes,” you smiled as you pulled out a flashlight and clicked it on.

You returned to your spot on Suho’s chair and unlocked your phone again, groaning when you saw ‘Searching…’ in the top left corner of the screen.

“There would be no service,” you muttered and threw your phone on the small table beside you.

You leaned your head back against the top of the backrest and clutching the flashlight in both of your hands.

---

Suho and Kai both took a step back as the pair of red eyes came closer. They gave each other a quick side-glance before raising their weapons. But before they could attack the Demon in front of them, a small click and a beam of light stopped their assault.

In the dim glow of a battery powered lantern, a young looking boy with side swept hair stood with his hands raised in surrender.

“Don’t hurt me, I come in peace,” the Demon said with a playful smirk.

The two Guardians lower their weapons as the Demon holds out his lantern so they can all see somewhat see each other.

“Hyukjin, what are you doing here?” Suho asked, turning the solid spike of water into vapor.

“You guys didn’t meet me at the staircase and the power went out, so I came to look for you,” he replied, “Did you guys get lost or something?”

“No,” Kai muttered, “And we don’t need your help.”

“Then what were you doing in this hall?” Hyukjin raised an eyebrow.

“Looking for Sungmi,” Kai bit back with a glare.

And Hyukjin glared right back, “Well she’s not here.”

“Like we haven’t figured that out already,” Kai scoffed.

“They moved her to another room the night after Miyoung was rescued,” the Demon informed him.

“Can you just take us to her?” Suho interjected and gave Kai a look that basically told him to stop talking, “This conversation is just a waste of time.”

“Well we wouldn’t be having this conversation if you just met me at the staircase,” Hyukjin grumbled as he led the two Guardians in the opposite direction they were headed in.

After a few minutes of turning halls that branched into more halls and Kai grumbling, “We could have found her ourselves”, the trio came up to a wooden door at the end of a hallway with, what looked like, a newly installed doorknob.

“She’s in there,” Hyukjin pointed at the door, “I don’t have a key so I hope you guys have a plan to get inside.”

“Oh, getting inside is no problem,” Kai smirked and tossed Hyukjin the baton he was holding.

He placed his hand on the hilt of his dagger and disappeared with a pop.

“Well, that’s convenient,” the Demon huffed before leaning his back against the wall, tapping the metal bar against his thigh.

“I’m pretty sure that’s how he found in the first place,” Suho leaned against the wall opposite to him, “Locked doors can’t stop Kai from exploring. He’s very curious like that.”

“Well, I hope he’s as quick as he is nosy. The Demons already knew you guys were coming tonight and since the power’s out, this is probably going to be the first place they check.”

“He’ll be fine,” Suho said confidently and the two lapsed into a silence.

“So,” Hyukjin drawled out, “How’s Miyoung?”

Suho’s head snapped up and his eyes widened, “Miyoung?”

“Yeah,” Hyukjin nodded his head, “How’s she doing?”

“Um, okay? Good, I guess,” Suho stuttered, “I mean, I wouldn’t really know since we’re not together anymore, but I’m guessing she’s good. She didn’t really say otherwise, unless I wasn’t paying attention when she did.”

Hyukjin watched the Guardian scratch the back of his neck while biting his lip.

“The two of you aren’t together anymore?”

Suho shook his head and dropped his eyes to his feet.

“What happened?” the Demon asked.

“Just … It’s complicated,” Suho sighed.

Hyukjin nodded with understanding, “That’s too bad though. You two looked really good together.”

“Thanks,” Suho whispered.

“But I wouldn’t give up so easily if I were you,” he added, “Miyoung’s special and worth fighting for, don’t you think?”

Suho’s lips formed in a small smile when an image of you smiling up at him appeared in his mind, “Yeah, she is.”

---

Wow, you guys are really good at guessing what's going to happen next in the story. Am I really that predictable with my plot? Well, I'm just going to believe that you guys are super awesome and psychic LOL This part of the story is going waayyy longer than I had planned but hope you all enjoyed the chapter.

-Admin Kelc