Eighteen

The Return [The Fallen II] (Permanent Hiatus)

 

You pulled the headset over your head and pressed the red button on the control panel just like Lay showed you.

“Can you guys hear me?” you asked tentatively into the microphone before releasing the button.

‘Please let me have done it right,’ you mentally pleaded as you held your breath and waited for a reply.

There was a static sound before Suho’s voice greeted your ears, “Loud and clear, Miyoung.”

You let out a sigh in relief. You turned towards the monitor that displayed Kris’ and Hyerim’s faces and smiled when Hyerim gave you two thumbs up.

“It’s going to be another fifteen minutes until we arrive at the liar,” Kyungsoo’s voice sounded in your headset, “so you can relax for a bit.”

“Okay,” you responded before turning off your microphone and leaning back into your chair.

You looked over at Kris and Hyerim and saw them huddled over a laptop, discussing something in hushed tones. You guessed that Kris must have said something snarky by the way Hyerim scoffed and whacked his shoulder while he smirked down at her.

You swiveled your chair around to face the giant, floor to ceiling window. Rain was pattering against the glass and dark clouds stretched across the sky far beyond the horizon. There was a crack of lightning here and the boom of thunder there and you really hoped that the boys had waterproof equipment.

---

They parked at the edge of the forest on the west side of the Demon lair, far enough away from the lair to keep hidden, but close enough if they needed a quick getaway.

The Guardians jumped out of the vans and moved towards the edge of the forest, hiding behind trees and bushes.

Suho pressed the button on his earpiece, “Okay, we’re here Miyoung, tell us what to do.”

“There should be a window on the wall facing you and there aren’t any Demons on guard in that hallway,” each boy heard your voice through their earpieces, “That would be the best way for all of you to get in. But be careful, there’s a security camera right above the window.”

“Got it,” Suho responded then nodded at Baekhyun.

The younger Guardian nodded back to the leader and formed a small orb of light between his hands. He gently sent the orb across the field and up the side of the building, around the window and right in front of the tiny security camera that was mounted on the brick wall.

“All clear, but you guys are going to have to move fast. I’m sure the Demons are going to notice that one of their cameras is giving them a solid white picture.”

The boys quickly moved towards the building, stopping a few feet away from the window.

Xiumin stepped forward and pressed his hand against the glass, rapidly dropping the temperature of the glass and creating a sheet of ice on both sides of the window.

“Forty-five seconds,” Luhan said as he stared at his watch and tapped his foot impatiently, “Hurry, it’s cold and raining and I’m getting wet.”

Xiumin took a step back as Tao took one forward. With one swift kick, the tempered glass window shattered and fell to the floor.

They hopped into the liar and Xiumin and Tao took their positions on either side of the broken window.

“We’re in,” Suho told you.

You rolled out a blue print of the lair and pinpointed where the eleven boys should have been standing.

“Okay, go down this hall and take a left,” you instructed and toggled through the different security cameras, “There are two Demons coming down that hall.”

Suho pointed at Luhan and Baekhyun and the two ran down the hall, pressing their backs up against the walls opposite each other at the end.

They both glanced around the corner and saw two Demons, carrying some sort of batons they have never seen before and heading down the hall towards them just like you said. Baekhyun rolls two light orbs into the middle of the hall.

“What’s that?” one the Demons asked.

Just as the two Demons crouched over the orbs, the balls of light rolled down the hallway. They followed them with their blood red eyes and saw them stop at two pairs of feet. The Demons slowly looked up and saw two smirking Guardians.

Before they could even react, Luhan flung them up against the wall, making them drop their batons in the process.

Baekhyun twirled the orbs in the air with one hand as he bent down and picked up one of the batons. He examined it a little before pressing the button on its handle, jumping a little in surprise when a zap of electrical current cracked at the other end. 

“Clear,” Luhan called over his shoulder as he and Baekhyun stood in front of the struggling Demons, Baekhyun snickering as he sent bolts of electricity through the Demons’ legs with the baton.

“Very impressive,” Suho nodded in approval, “That only took –”

His sentence was cut off when the lights over their head, as dim as they may have been, went out, plunging them into momentary darkness.

“The storm must be getting pretty bad,” Lay murmured as they watched the lights flicker back on.

“Guys, we have a problem,” your wariness could clearly be heard through their earpieces.

“Why? What’s wrong? Was there a power serge at the mansion too?” Suho asked, a bit of edge in his voice.

“Yeah, I lost my video feed,” you said as you frantically hit the space bar on the keyboard, “Even my feed to Kris and Hyerim went out. What do I do? What do I do?!”

“Calm down and take a deep breath. It’s going to be okay. We should be close to the staircase to meet Hyukjin by now, right?”  

“Yeah, you guys just have to take a couple more turns and you’re there,” you said softly, tracing the path that they were supposed to take on the map with your finger.

“Okay. Now Miyoung, after I’m done talking, I want you to take off the headset and turn off the control panel.”

You sat up in your chair, “What? No!”

“You’re starting to panic because you can’t see anything and don’t even think about denying it, I can tell that you are. So just please, turn everything off when we’re done talking.”

You let out a long breath, “Fine.”

“You really were a lot of help tonight, Miyoung. Thank you. But now I just want to relax, watch a movie or something. We should be home in about an hour, okay?”

“Okay,” you whispered, “And guys?”

The silence indicated to you that they were all listening.

“Please save her.”

---

And the action begins!!! I had more planned for this chapter but I kinda wanted to change the point of view for the next part to just the Guardians and not really have Miyoung in the chapter so everything would flow better and make more sense. So that's why I ended up stopping there. Hope you all enjoyed the chapter! 

~Admin Kelc

P.S. Oh, and one last thing. We are doing a little random drawing raffle thing to pick the next batch of people who will be able to request stories from us! So please go HERE to see how you can enter! We only have like 13 people who entered and we are picking 18 winners so you all will have a really good chance at winning!