Seventeen

The Return [The Fallen II] (Permanent Hiatus)

“They’re coming to save the Angel.”

Kang looked up from his laptop and raised his eyebrows at the two Demons standing in front of his desk.

“Really?” the Demon lord leaned back into his chair and laced his fingers together, a cast off look in his blood red eyes, “Our Guardian friends work fast, don’t they?”

“Yes,” a Demon nodded, “Our sources tell us that they will arrive three hours past sunset.”

“Wow and coming to rescue the Angel at night? They are that confident that they can save the girl when us, Demons, are at our strongest?” Kang let out a single laugh of amusement, “Now they are just trying to offend me.”

 The two Demons exchanged side-glances as Kang swiveled his chair around to face the wall of monitors behind him.

“Well, we’ll just have to be prepared for them,” he said casually, observing the different views of his lair and the forest surrounding it, “Those Guardians may have managed to take and an Angel away from us one time, but they will not be able to do it again.”

---

It was just around the time before sundown, a few hours before the rescue was to take place. Everyone was gathered in the kitchen, eating an early dinner while going over last minute preparations.

There was a quiet hum of various conversations; Suho, D.O, and Chen discussing where to position each member when they arrive at the lair, Kai, Tao, and Baekhyun figuring out which techniques would result in the quickest and quietest ways to take down Demons, and Luhan, Chanyeol, and Xiumin compiling an extensive list of weapons they would need (Chanyeol getting rather excited at any mention of the word “firearm”.)

Lay was in the middle of demonstrating to you how to work their system of walkie-talkies when Sehun suddenly spoke up.

“Do we really have to trust that Hyukjin guy?”

All conversations came to a halt as everyone turned towards the youngest Guardian.

“I mean, he may not have done anything to Miyoung, but he’s still a Demon,” he mumbled while stabbing a leaf of lettuce.

Murmurs of agreement left a few of the boys’ mouths.

“Well, Kris and Hyerim told us to trust him,” Suho told the maknae, “And he hasn’t done anything to hurt us, so shouldn’t we give him the benefit of the doubt?”

“I guess so,” Sehun’s eyes dropped down to his plate.

“Well, that’s settled then,” Suho nodded before turning back to D.O and Chen, leaving some of the Guardians still looking unconvinced.

The conversations resumed and before Lay could start debriefing you on how to view the security cameras, you hopped off your stool and walked over to Suho.

You cleared your throat as you stood before him, causing him and the other two he was talking with to look up at you questioningly. 

You looked at Suho and held out your hand, “Can I see your phone?”

He blinked up at you a few times before reaching into his pocket and pulling out his phone.

“Sure,” he said as he placed the device in your hand.

“You haven’t deleted your call history right?” you asked as you the screen and unlocked the phone.

“No, why?”

“Just wondering,” you smiled as you scrolled down the call log and found the number you were looking for.

The two younger boys looked at Suho in confusion as you put the phone on speaker and Suho simple shrugged back, puzzled by what you were doing just as much as they were.

“Hello?” a male’s voice answered the call.

“Hyukjin?” you asked.

Silence returned to the kitchen once again as all the eyes in the room were focused on you.

“Who is this?”

“It’s Miyoung,” you replied.

“What are you doing?!” Suho whispered as he stood up and attempted to take the phone away from you.

You help the phone out of his reach and shook your head, “Trust me.”

“Oh, hey Miyoung. It’s been a while, hasn’t it?”

“Yeah, it has,” you said softly into the phone’s microphone, “But, um, could I ask you to do me a favor?”

 “Sure, what can I do for you?”

“This is a bad idea,” Suho shook his head as he crossed his arms over his chest, hoping you wouldn’t do what he thought you were about to do.

But, of course, you did and you ignored his warning in the process, “Do you happen to know where in the lair Sungmi is being held?”

“Who?”

“The Angel that Kang captured,” you rolled your eyes with a sigh.

“Uhhh, yeah I think so. I heard a few of the guards talking about her a couple nights ago. Why?”

“Well, we’re kind of trying to rescue her tonight but we don’t really know where exactly she’s being held …” you trailed off, hoping he would get the hint.

“And you want me to lead your little Guardian friends to her, huh?” you could almost hear the smirk in his voice.

“We’re not little,” Baekhyun muttered bitterly.

“Says you,” Tao snorted.

“Do you think you could do that for us?” you asked hopefully.

“Yeah, sure, why not?”

“Great!” you beamed, “But how are you going to get out of your cell?”

“Oh, don’t worry about that. Just have your Guardians meet me at the first floor staircase in the west wing. I’ll lead them from there.”

“Okay, thanks Hyukjin!”

“No problem Miyoung. It’s really great to hear from you again.”

“Same to you,” you nodded and swear you heard a growl come from Suho’s direction, “Well they’ll meet you at the staircase tonight.”

“Okay, I’ll be waiting.”

You hung up the phone and gave it back to Suho with a smug smile.

“There, now you have a personal guide who will take you right to Sungmi,” you flicked your hair over your shoulder before skipping back to Lay.

Suho slumped back into his seat and massaged his temples.

“We’re really going to trust that Demon?” Chen asked lowly while leaning towards the leader.

“I guess we are,” Suho sighed, “Benefit of the doubt, right?”  

Kyungsoo and Chen glanced at each other and shrugged.

---

Suho clipped the silver chain around his neck and stared at the two rings that rested against his chest in the mirror that was hanging on his bedroom wall; one silver band, identical to the one around his right ring finger, and one white gold one with a sea blue stone.

A knock on the door snapped him out of his trance and he quickly tucked the chain under his black undershirt.

“Come in,” he called as he started to button up his black dress shirt.

You poked your head into the room, “Hey.”

Suho turned away from the mirror and gave you a smile as you entered the room, “Hey, what’s up?”

“The guys asked me to come see if you were about ready to go,” you glanced around the all too familiar bedroom, “Most of them are waiting downstairs.”

“Yeah, I should be down in a minute,” Suho mumbled as he finished buttoning up his shirt.

“Looks more like you’re going on a date than a rescue mission in those clothes,” you laughed as your eyes ran over Suho’s body.

“Well, when you’re the last thing a Demon sees before you kill it, you kind of want to look good,” he smirked as he rolled up his sleeves.

You scoffed and rolled your eyes as you walked up to Suho and batted his hands away from his sleeves.

“Let me do it, you’re horrible at rolling your sleeves nicely. “

Suho watched you with soft eyes as you quickly rolled up his sleeves to his elbows.

“I see you’re participating in the mission dress code,” Suho noted, noticing how you are also dressed in black.

You looked down at your black sweater and jeans and shrugged, “Baekhyun told me that you guys always wear black during missions and since I’m part of this mission too, I thought might as well.”

You made one last fold and patted Suho’s sleeves in place.

“All done!” you smiled up at him.

“Thanks,” he ruffled your hair a bit before reaching over to grab his watch that was resting atop his dresser.

“Okay, let’s roll,” he said as he secured his watch around his wrist.

You followed him out of his bedroom and the both of you stopped at the top of the staircase. There, you could see the rest of the Guardians waiting for Suho in the foyer.

“Remember, Kris and Hyerim are going to be calling in about ten minutes,” Suho reminded you.

“Got it,” you nodded.

“And if anything goes wrong, just call and I’ll come back here.”

“Okay.”

“And –”

“No leaving the communications room,” you finished for him before guiding down the first few stairs, “I got it, I got it.”

Suho let out a sigh and took one of your hands in his, “Good luck,” he said, giving your hand a gentle squeeze.

“Good luck,” you smiled and squeezed his hand much harder, shaking it with a laugh.

You leaned forward against the bannister, resting your chin against your crossed arms, as you watched Suho go into leader mode and pull the Guardians into a huddle.

“Okay, tonight we have one mission,” Suho said, looking into each one of the boys’ eyes, “And that’s to save Sungmi. I don’t care if you have to kill one Demon or a hundred of them, we need to do whatever it takes to protect that Angel and make sure she’s safe. But remember to stick to our plan. We’re leaving Homebase tonight with eleven Guardians and I want to return here with eleven as well, okay?”

The boys nodded, each of them filled with determination.

Suho stood up straight and took a deep breath.

“We are,” he called.

“One!” the rest yelled, each one giving their leader a thumbs up with bright smiles.

You watched as the eleven boys filed out towards the vans parked in the driveway, cheers and hollers echoing throughout the mansion.

Suho glanced up at you over his shoulder just as he was about through the front door, his hand still on the doorknob. You gave him a smile and held out a thumbs-up towards him. You felt your heart start to thump in your chest when Suho gave you one of those dazzling smiles before shaking his head and leaving to join the other boys.

---

Well that one turned out much longer than I had intended LOL I actually was going to write more but I thought that it was good place to cut off. Plus, it's already past midnight right now and I should really get to bed. I'll probably update again tomorrow since all my ideas are fresh in my head and I've got the flow down for the next chapter. Hope you all enjoyed this chapter!

~Admin Kelc