Twenty-Three

The Return [The Fallen II] (Permanent Hiatus)

 

Morning sunlight seeped through the kitchen windows, the sky so blue and clear and the slight breeze so calm it was as if the previous night’s storm never existed.

You sat on the kitchen counter, eating a bowl of cereal while mindlessly scrolling through pages and pages of shoes that were just a click away from being yours. You looked up from your laptop when you heard a (not so manly) scream come from outside. You peered outside the window above the sink and shook your head when you saw Tao laying on the grass with Chen sitting on top of him while sniggering into his hand.

A small cough drew your attention away from the two Guardians and you turned your head to see Sungmi standing in the doorway. She was dressed in a pair of sweats that’s pant legs were rolled up at least three times and an oversized, baggy long sleeve that only allowed her fingers to be visible. She was biting her lip nervously while clasping the collar of her shirt between her fingers. It was easy to tell why Kai had a very obvious crush on her; she was adorable.

“Morning,” you smiled.

She gave you a small grin, “Morning,” she said softly.

“You hungry?” you asked as you stood up and carried your bowl over to the sink.

“No, I already ate,” she took a few steps into the kitchen and rested her hand on the island countertop.

“Really?” you turned around and leaned against the counter, “I didn’t see you come downstairs.”

She ducked her head a little as her cheeks faintly flushed, “Jongin brought me breakfast before he left this morning.”

“I see,” you smiled and clamped your lips together in order to contain your laughter, wanting to not embarrass the poor girl further, “They went out to buy you a bed, right?”

She nodded, “Jongin said that they were going to install it in your room. I hope … that’s … okay…”

“Oh no, it’s fine!” you reassured her, “It’ll be nice to have a roommate and another girl in this house.”

Sungmi let out a soft sigh and relaxed her shoulders.

You pursed your lips and glanced around the kitchen.

“Have you gotten a tour yet?” you asked suddenly.

Sungmi instantly looked up and shook her head quickly.

“Okay, then,” you pushed off the counter and walked towards the doorway, “Follow me.”

---

“I can’t believe that have all of that downstairs,” Sungmi commented as the two of you climbed up the staircase to the second floor.

“I know, they’re a bunch of spoiled brats,” you scoffed and Sungmi laughed.

The two of you stopped when you reached the second floor landing.

“So to your right is the K wing and to the left if the M wing,” you pointed down the two hallways, “Our room is at the end of the K wing next to the bathroom and the communications room in the same spot in the M wing.”

“Communications room?” Sungmi asked.

“I’ll show you, follow me,” you motioned towards the left hall.

You opened the door at the end of the hallway and the both of you walked in.

“This is the room that the guys use to talk to the Angels in Heaven. They also use this room to plan missions and other complicated work stuff.”

“Cool,” Sungmi said softly as she glanced around at the different monitors and blueprints sitting on one of the desks.

“We’ll probably be in here a lot. The guys hold meetings pretty often and it’s nice to sit in and listen for a bit,” you told her, “Watching movies on the flat screen is pretty awesome too.”

“So we can just use this room whenever we want to?” she asked.

“Mmmm, not whenever. This room is still used for serious business. But between me and you,” you said in a mock whisper, “You can get away with a lot here if you’re an Angel.”

A giggle escaped her lips as she absentmindedly ran her finger along the fabric of one of the chairs.

“I think the guys should be back soon,” you said as you glanced down at your watch, “We should wait downstairs for them before they have a freak out and think we’ve gotten kidnapped or something.”

“They do seem like the type to overreact,” she commented as the two of you left the room.

“Of you have no idea,” you shook your head and walked down the hall.

“Um , Miyoung?”

You turned around to see Sungmi standing in front of the bedroom door next to the communications center.

“Whose room is this?” she pointed to the door that adorned a gold K.

“Ummm, that’s Kris’,” you said slowly as you stood next to her.

“Kris?” she narrowed her eyes, “Have I met him? There’re so many names that I’m having a hard time remembering all of them.”

“No, you haven’t met him,” you stared at the slightly dusty letter, “He’s, um, he died.”

Sungmi’s eyes widened and she bowed her head towards the ground, “I’m so sorry.”

“No,” you shook your head and placed a hand on her shoulder, “He’s happy. He’s in the Afterlife with his girlfriend now.”

“His girlfriend died too?” she asked in horror, eyes shining with unshed tears.

“Yeah, but that’s another story for another time,” you said quickly, “The main point is, he’s fine. We just talked to him a little while ago through some mirror thing. I don’t really know how it works but it did! And he’s fine and happy and you have nothing to worry about.”

Sungmi nodded and took a deep breath, “I’m just not really used to this whole Angel thing yet. I mean, I know Angels are supposed to take people to the Afterlife and that death is an apparent part of our job but – I just – I’m having a hard time coping with that. Death, that is.”

You placed an arm gently around her shoulder and led her down the hall, “Everything’s going to be okay. The guys will make sure of that, I promise.”

“Thanks, Miyoung,” Sungmi smiled, “for understanding.”

“No problem,” you pat her shoulder, “I’ll always be here. And so will the rest of the guys, especially Kai,” you smirked slightly when her face flushes at the boy’s name, “He really likes you, you know?”

“I know,” she whispered, obviously embarrassed.

“And you like him too,” you sang with a teasing voice.

“Well, Suho likes you too!” she pointed out.

You fell silent at the mention of the water Guardian.

“Jongin didn’t answer my question last night and you don’t have to either if you don’t want to but … are you two a couple?” she asked.

You took a deep breath and let out a long sigh, “We were. Not anymore though.”

Sungmi frowned, “What happened?”

“A lot,” you responded simply, “Things just didn’t end up working out.”

“But he still loves you,” she replied, “And don’t deny it, it’s pretty obvious that he still does.”

“I know,” you mumbled.

“Have you ever thought about giving him another chance?” she questioned hopefully, “I saw the way he looked at you last night, the way only he smiled to you.”

“I don’t know, Sungmi,” you sighed, “We’ve been though a lot, more than you can imagine. And I just don’t know if I can give him another chance.”

Just as she was about to reply, the sound of the front door opening cut her off and the once quiet mansion was filled with its usual noise and buzz.

“Sungmi?” Kai’s voice echoed through the foyer, “Where are you?”

“Come on,” you said softly, “Let’s go downstairs before Jongin has a panic attack.”

The two of you descended the stairs and you watched Sungmi walk up to Kai.

“Oh, there you are,” he smiled, his eyes noticeably lighting up, “We bought you clothes.”

Kai held up the dozens of shopping bags hanging from both of his hands.

“I can see that,” Sungmi laughed and took half of the bags from him, “Thank you.”

“Let’s going in living room and you can pick what you want to wear,” he said and took her hand before they disappeared from the foyer.

“Hey,” a soft voice said as a shoulder bumped into yours.

You quickly looked up to see Suho smiling down at you.

“Oh, hey,” you replied, your body becoming suddenly hyperaware of his presence next to you.

“Gave Sungmi a tour?” he asked.

“Mhmm,” you responded shortly as you stared down at the ground.

Suho tipped his head to the side as he eyed you with concern.

“Are you okay?”

Your head snapped up and you looked at Suho with wide eyes, “What? Yeah, I’m fine. Why?”

“You’re just acting a little weird,” he chuckled, “Or, well, weirder than normal.”

You scoffed and gave his shoulder a hard shove, causing him to laugh.

“Hyung! Help us!”

You both turned around to see Xiumin and Baekhyun struggling to carry in Sungmi’s bedframe through the doorway.

“Oh, come on you two! Put your backs into it!” Suho yelled in response.

“Shut up, old man!” Xiumin bit back with a sneer.

“Why couldn’t you have Luhan do this?” Baekhyun whined over the top of the mattress, “He’s telekinetic and could carry this without even breaking a sweat.”

“Because this is more entertaining,” Suho smirked, “Don’t you agree, Miyoung?”

“It is actually kinda funny,” you shrugged, “And don’t call him an old man. You’re older than him, Xiumin.”

Suho sent him a smug smile as he threw an arm over your shoulder.

“Ugh, can’t you two just get back together already?” Xiumin mumbled under his breath as he and Baekhyun started to climb up the stairs.

You straighten and glared at him, “What did you say?”

“Nothing!” he denied, “Nothing at all.” 

---

Yay! An update at last! Sorry the story is progressing so slowly, but I promise that it's going to pick up soon! Hope you all enjoyed the chapter!

-Admin Kelc