Fifteen

The Return [The Fallen II] (Permanent Hiatus)

“Could you guys just tell us what’s going on?”

The two boys ignored the leader’s constant questions and continued quickly up the staircase.

You followed them silently as they took a sharp left and headed straight for the last door in the M wing of the mansion.

They threw the door open, revealing the other Guardians sitting their respective seats. Well, except for Tao who was sitting cross-legged on the floor, not even bothering to take his eyes off the giant screen as the four of your entered.

“Okay, will someone please tell me what is going on?” Suho sighed and glanced around at the other Guardians as he stood at the head of the room.

The boys just blinked at him, not speaking a single word.

 “Guys, seriously, he asked you a question,” you frowned and moved from the doorway to stand next to Suho, “You guys aren’t going to say anything?”

Suho raised his eyebrows at you in surprise before a small smirk stretched across his lips.

After a moment of complete silence, Xiumin simply raised a hand and pointed to the screen behind you.

Your eyes widened and your jaws dropped simultaneously when you both turned around to face the plasma screen mounted on the wall. You and Suho stood in a horrified silence as you watched a video of two men grabbing a young girl and dragging her across the screen, her screams unheard by the mall security camera.

“What is this?” you whispered, a pained expression on your face.

The video looped again and again and a wave of unpleasant memories flashed through your mind as you watched the males grab the petrified girl by her arms and pull her out of the field of view. But you quickly shook them off when Suho spoke up.

“This can’t be right,” he turned towards the ten boys sitting down, “You guys can’t be telling me that Kang has another Angel.”

You bit your lip as you continued to watch the twenty-second, black and white clip on the screen.

“Guys,” Suho searched around the room, “Please tell me this isn’t true.”

The boys kept their heads bowed, their silence speaking for them.

Suho took a deep breath and turned back towards the video and ran a hand through his hair in frustration, “How did this happen?”

You placed a hand on his shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze as he shook his head at the two Demons with glaring eyes.

“Her name is Sungmi.”

The two of you quickly turned around at the sound of Kai’s voice. To your surprise, you realized that this was news to everyone when you saw the other Guardians staring at the teleporter with confused looks on their faces.

“How do you know that?” Suho asked, taking a few steps towards Kai.

Kai just bit his lip and stared down at his feet in shame.

“Jongin,” Suho walked right up to him and knelt down in front of his chair, placing a hand on the younger boy’s knee, “How do you know what her name is?”

“Because I’ve met her.”

Suho’s eyes widened with alarm, but he swallowed down his shock and placed an emotionless expression on his face.

“When?” he asked Kai with a gentle voice.

Kai took a deep breath and looked around at the pairs of eyes that were focused on him.

“When we went to rescue Miyoung,” he whispered, taking a shy glance at you before dropping his eye back down to the floor.

“And you didn’t think to tell us about this?” a crease between Suho’s eyebrows formed as he stood up in front of Kai and crossed his arms.

“I didn’t want to worry you,” Kai looked up at the leader with guilty eyes, “You were all so worried about Miyoung and I was going to go back to get her later but –”

“You were going to go by yourself?!” D.O stood up with a furious look on his face, “You were going to go to Kang’s lair by yourself?!”

Chanyeol gently grabbed D.O arm, “Calm down.”

You silently watched D.O shake off Chanyeol’s hand and storm over to Kai.

“Do you know how stupid that is?!” he screamed.

“Well, I’m sorry, hyung!” Kai glowered at D.O and he stood up, towering over the Earth Guardian’s small frame, “I’m sorry for being a Guardian and wanting to save someone who was in trouble!”

“I don’t care if you were saving an Angel or even a human. You could have gotten yourself killed,” D.O shook his head and narrowed his eyes at Kai, “Our team almost fell apart when Kris died, did you even stop to think about what would happen if you died too?”

“Enough!”

You let out the breath that you didn’t even realize you were holding when Suho stepped between the two Guardians and pushed them a part.

The leader gave each of the boys a stern look as they took a few steps away from each other and lowered their heads under the elder’s scolding eyes.

“D.O,” Suho sighed and said boy looked up at him with his normal large, soft eyes, “I know where you’re coming form, but Kai didn’t go to the lair alone so there’s nothing to worry about. And he was only trying to help.”

D.O nodded his head and glanced over at Suho’s shoulder at Kai with an apologetic smile.

“And Kai,” Suho turned towards the other, “D.O’s right. You can’t go around doing such rash actions without thinking. We already lost one of us and we can’t afford to lose another.”

“I’m sorry,” he mumbled, glancing at Suho, then D.O, then the rest of the boys in the room, “I wasn’t thinking. I just … I promised I would save her. I’m sorry,” his shoulders slumped as he lowered his gaze back to the floor.

You watched the other members shrug their shoulders, telling Kai that they understood. Suho threw an arm around Kai’s shoulder, reassuring him that everything was going to be okay, and D.O softly patted him on the back.

When your eyes connected with Suho’s and he gave you a soft smile, you realized at that moment that Suho knew what Kai was going through. He one felt the strong feelings Kai was feeling of wanting to protect someone who was so vulnerable. He understood what it felt like to make a promise that could cost an Angel her life. He knew that Kai’s world was soon going to stop revolving around music, but something (or someone) entirely different.  

“Well, this is all very heartwarming,” Chen spoke up suddenly, “But we still have an Angel to save and we don’t have any sort of plan or even any idea where she is by now.”

“Well, I think I can help with that.”

---

Back with another update! So turns out that this story is actually going to be a few chapters longer than I had intended. LOL yeah I know I'm already taking forever to write this story but I need to explain a few things in more detail to make the story run smoothly! Well, hope you all enjoyed the chapter! 

~Admin Kelc