XVII. WISHING ON SHOOTING STARS

HOPELESS CRUSH

 

CHAPTER 17. WISHING ON SHOOTING STARS

 

As Dara was looking up at the star-filled night she suddenly began seeing quick silver streaks across the sky.  She gasped as she realized what just happened right before her eyes.  There was just something awe-inspiring and utterly romantic about seeing shooting stars that she almost wanted to run inside the party and point at the stars stark raving mad and start yelling ‘I saw shooting stars!’

 

But the rational part of her decided against her silly impulse; though she wished she could share this moment with someone.  But then again you could do a lot of wishing on a night like this.

 

She closed her eyes and clasped her hands in front of her and started to make a wish. 

I hope I can share this moment with someone special...

Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard footsteps behind her.  She looked in time to see Seunghyun coming in.

 

“Seunghyun!” she yelled. 

 

Her face lit up and she ran towards him, grabbed his hand and started pulling him across the balcony and pointed at the sky.

 

“I saw shooting stars!” she yelled.

 

Seunghyun was baffled at first but he started to grin, amused with how excited she looked.  He started to look up the sky.

 

“Where I don’t see anything?” He asked as he looked up, his hands inside his pockets. “I only see regular stars…I don’t see any shooting stars.” He said.

 

“I promise…I really saw them.” She said as she pouted still looking up.

 

He indulged her for a few moments more and continued to look at the sky, to please her that at least he was trying.  So the two stargazers scanned the skies in silence. He continued scanning the skies until his neck hurt so instead he looked at her beiside him. She was still looking up the sky her eyes twinkling. His sister was right, there was a beautiful star in the balcony.

 

She looks at him and he looks away.

 

“You know what…just hit me in the head…I think I’d be easier to see moving stars that way.” He said.

 

"Yah!" she shouted.

 

He slapped a hand on his face trying to suppress his laughter.

 

“Seunghyun!” She yelled in a disapproving tone. “You’re not taking me seriously aren’t you? You think I’m being childish again.”

 

He turned towards her, “You…I’m not going to tell you what I think about you yet.  There are more pressing issues at the moment.” I said pointing a finger at her.

 

“Like what?” she asked in bewilderment.

 

He upturned his palm in front of her face, “Where’s my gift?” he asked.

 

She gave out a nervous laugh.  “Technically…tomorrow’s your birthday. Today is not your birthday yet.” She reasoned out.

 

“But I will be in Japan tomorrow.” He answered with furrowed eyebrows.

 

“So I’m giving it to you when you get back to Seoul.” She answered.

 

He looked at her disapprovingly and straightened up.  “But Dara…that’s one week from now…that’s too long.” He complained.

 

“You already received a lot of gifts...why is my gift so important?” she asked as she put her hands on her hips.

 

“Because…” his voice trailed off as he blushed.  He raked a hand through his hair. “It’s my birthday…I think…I have the right to expect a gift don’t I?”

 

“Now look who’s being childish.” She mumbled but despite that she was smiling.

 

Seunghyun doesn't understand if he was supposed to feel happy and lighthearted though they were arguing but he was actually enjoying their banter. He was actually enjoying himself more than he did at the actual party.

 

He sighs in contentment and looks up at the sky when he suddenly notices silver streaks.

 

“Dara…I think I see it too…” He suddenly mumbles and looks at a certain point in the sky.  She follows his gaze and gasps as she sees a couple of shooting stars.  They stood there watching silently. 

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

I’d probably lost my mind because I was becoming more aware of his proximity, or that his hand was only an inch away from mine.  And that I thought he moved a little closer to me. 

 

The party suddenly seemed very very far away.

 

“Happy Birthday…” I said in a quiet voice and looked up at him to realize that he has been looking at me.

 

Weird. But I felt like he was leaning closer…like…like…he was intending to kiss me.  I could feel his breathe on my face and I could hear my own heartbeat thundering in my ears as he looked at me with such intensity. His eyes...they were telling me something. But I didn't want to read too much into them...because i was not ready...for what...i don't know...i'm just not ready...to feel something more for him. Because...it makes me feel vulnerable.  

 

"Seunghyun?"  She mumbled in a wondering tone.

 

And the spell was broken. 

 

Seunghyun straightens up and awkwardly coughs while I pull my hair out.  We both look away awkwardly as we both blush furiously.

 

He clears his throat, “Wha…What? What did you say?” he asked.

 

“Ah…ah…” I fumble with my hands, “I’m asking your permission…to…allow…me…to…” I took a deep breath, “…here’s my gift!” I suddenly pull out the envelope from my pocket and raise it up.

 

“What’s this?” he asks as he grabs it from my hands and starts inspecting it.

 

“Ah…it’s not much…you have the option to…not to use it…if you don’t like it.” She launches him a nervous excuse.

 

“Driving lessons from Sandara Park.” He reads out loud her handmade ticket.

 

Dara felt her blush spread from her face to every point of her body.  She thought hers was a genius idea but seeing the expensive watch, and designer cuff links, her gift suddenly seemed silly. She covered her face with her hands and waited for him to laugh but after a few agonizing moments…no laughter came.

 

“Hey unscrew your digits.” He said.

 

She slowly peeked in between her fingers and saw that he didn’t look like he was going to laugh instead he looked serious so she put her hands down her sides.

 

“How many sessions?” he asked.

 

“How…what?”

 

“Your driving lessons…” he said as he started waving the little ticket in front of her face. “How many sessions?”

 

Shoot…she hasn’t thought about that…

 

“Ah…three!” she tentatively raised three fingers.

 

He furrowed his eyebrows. “That’s too short.” He complained.

 

“Then…I give you…five sessions.” She bargained.

 

“Call!” he said as he pocketed his gift.  “And if I don’t learn how to drive by then…you’ll have to grant me a wish.”

 

“What wish?”

 

He didn’t answer and just smirked at her.

 

She crossed her arms over her chest, “Ah…whatever. I’m pretty confident I can teach you with my driving skills.” She said.

 

“Let’s see…” he answered.