XIV. LITTLE CIRCLE

HOPELESS CRUSH

 

CHAPTER 14. LITTLE CIRCLE

 

He could see that Sandara Park enjoyed acting very much.  Everyday she would come to work ahead of everyone else, like she didn’t just pull an all nighter with 2ne1 to practice the night before. Everyday she’d come prepared with her lines memorized.  She’d gotten more comfortable with her crew members too.  But most of the time, when they would have their thirty minutes breaks in between filming they would be together sitting in one corner. He would be drinking coffee while she would review a recording of her performance with 2ne1.

 

This was their favorite little corner, four comfortable black leather couches arranged like a cross with a round coffee table at the center. He was seated at the chair opposite her sipping his coffee and observing her every move.

 

Ever once in a while a frown would cross her face, or she would bite her pink lip in frustration.

 

“What’s wrong?” he asked over the rim of his cup.

 

She would look up surprised as if she just realized now his presence. She’s must have been too absorbed with what she’s watching.

 

“I’m not satisfied.” She said as she pouted and continued watching the video.

 

“Satisfied with what?” he asked.

 

“With myself.” She answered with a quite voice.

 

His eyebrows furrowed at this. “With your performance?” he asked.

 

She nodded her head, “Yup. I feel like…I’ve been left far behind by my members.” She answered as she continued watching a recording of 2ne1s’ performance.

 

Seunghyun did not know what to say to this. …he wasn’t a sensitive man who could say the right words. He just…he just knew how to listen. He felt bad with himself, like he felt utterly useless. He wanted to comfort the girl, but he feels like he wasn’t the kind of man who could do it, even though he cared.

 

“Don’t say that.” was the only thing he could say though even though in his own ears it sounded lame.

 

“Apparently practice and determination is not enough.” she added as if offering herself to be butchered up.

 

“You’re fine, just as you are.” He said all the while cursing whoever might have made her feel this way. “You are your own worst critic.” He added.

 

She looked up from what she was watching and smiled at him though the smile didn't reach her eyes, “I’m being too hard on myself aren’t I?”

 

I was supposed to answer back when someone dropped himself onto the couch beside us.

 

“Guys! Here you are again in your own little world…have space for one more person?” Joongki asked good naturedly smiling at us as he put his left palm on my right shoulder and his right on Dara’s left shoulder.

 

“Oh…Annyeong Joongki-sshi…” Dara bowed to him.

 

“Hi Dara!” he waved. “So…what’re you guys talking about?” he asked.

 

Dara shrugged, “Um…stuff.”

 

“Oh.” He said in realization. “It’s okay. I can take I hint." He must've realized it was something we weren't comfortable on sharing with him. "Mian..Mian…” then he leaned forward rubbing his hands. “Shall we think about something else to talk about then?”

 

 

Nobody spoke.

 

Joongki scratched his head, “Sorry. I made things awkward.”

 

Seunghyun snicered and replied, “You don’t have to be sorry. Dara and I …" he said sparing Dara a quick glance, "...we're sort of known for being like this.” He said.

 

“Yes.” Dara spoke up, “We’re like masters for bringing in the ‘awkward’ atmosphere.” She giggled awkwardly.

 

Joongki laughed, “Really?...haha…wow…I didn’t know there was something like that. But you guys…you like really…get along well. Maybe that’s the secret…since you’re both awkward…when you’re together…you sort of negate each others’ effect…so you really jive together.”

 

Dara looked up thoughtfully, “Hmm…I never thought of it that way.”

 

But after that…once again it was ‘dead air’.

 

I fly gets swatted somewhere, a person drops a nickel…but them…NOPE…nothing.

 

“Here you were!” a feminine voice spoke.

 

Shin Minah arrived and dropped herself on the last couch available that was opposite Joongki. “I’ve been looking all over for you guys!” she exclaimed.

 

Unbeknowst to her the three people gave out a relieved sigh. Dara had this thank-god-you-came-and-saved-the-atmosphere-look on her face.

 

  • - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

When Shin Minah arrived Dara gave out a relieved sigh.

 

 

Thank gawd you’re here!!

 

 

Her mind screamed. It was getting too awkward. Minah was carrying the conversation saying she wants to join our ‘exclusive’, her term not mine, little club.  Joongki invited Minah to join him in his mission to join ‘Dara & Seunghyuns club’, his term not mine, before the filming ends.

 

I was slightly surprised.

 

I mean…I didn’t think Seunghyun and I gave that aura, that we were like keeping to ourselves. We just naturally gravitated towards each others’ company since, well… we already knew each other, and we were growing into good friends as days go by. But I didn’t expect that it seemed like we were keeping everyone else ‘OUT’.

 

“How are you Seunghyun?” Minah asked the other guy who was being too quiet.

 

I know he is quite, but Seunghyun right now was being TOO quiet.

 

“I’m okay.” He answered.

 

“I haven’t seen everyone in a long time. I sort of missed them.” She said.

 

“They’re okay.” Seunghyun answered.

 

My eyebrows raised in surprised. They seemed like they knew each other. 

 

Then Minah turned to me and leaned closer to my face. I leaned back a bit getting a little uncomfortable.

 

“Wow Dara… ‘perfect’ doesn’t even begin to describe how your skin looks.” She said amazed.

 

I smiled a little. I wanted to say a short ‘thank you’. But instead I gave her a longer explanation because I didn’t want to make her feel like I’m being ‘exclusive’.

 

Be more friendly Dara!

 

She excitedly listened to my skin care tips. And later on we were both giggling talking about ‘girl stuff’ before I realized it.

 

“Can you do me a favor?” Minah asked she stood up and held me by my wrist and made me stand up, “Can you come to my dressing room for a bit?” she asked and I nodded.

 

She turned to the guys, “Excuse us boys.” The two nodded and I followed her.

 

When we came to her dressing room she directed me towards a rack of clothes.

 

“After todays’ shoot I’m heading straight to a date.” She said wriggling her eyebrows as she smiled, “I’d like another girls’ opinion. Which one do you think would be nice for a date?” she asked as she clasped her hands.

 

“I think…stylists would do a better job at this.” I said tentatively.

 

She pouted, “They only know how to dress me as a celebrity. I want a real girls’ opinion. Dara what would you wear on a date?” she asked.

 

I laughed, “I’m sorry. I wouldn’t know…I don’t really date.” I grinned sheepishly.

 

“Really?! No way. I date all the time.” She said as she laughed.

 

“That’s nice.” I remarked as we started going through the clothes in the rack. “I’m afraid I don’t get much opportunity to date normally.” I added.

 

“I can imagine. Idols have worst stalkers than actors. You guys have saesang fans…it’s scary.” She said a shiver going through her body.

 

“Yeah. You’re lucky you can date.”

 

“Yeah. I date all the time. The last time I had a serious relationship was...more than a year ago. But…he broke up with me.” She laughed.

 

“What?!” I exclaimed as I turned to her open mouthed in amazement. “Who would break up with Shin Minah?!” I exclaimed.

 

She laughed, “Apparently…Choi Seunnghyun did.”

 

  • - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

When Dara took off with Minah I didn’t really mind at all. But I was slightly surprised, at how they became fast friends.  I wondered though if Dara had any idea that he used to date the girl.

 

So what Seunghyun? So what if she finds out?

 

His inner consciousness nagged and it pissed him off.

 

“Whoa…easy there superman.” Joongki remarked as he put the cup down the table and some of its’ contents spilled over.

 

Joongki engaged me in casual conversation about what he thought of our script.

I glanced at my wrist watch. It was already fifteen minutes, Dara and Minah still hasn’t returned.

 

I grabbed my phone and dialed her number.

 

Something light up on the couch in front of me, Joongki was quick to pick it up.

 

 

“Kuya…” he mumbled as he read the name that registered in the screen. “This is Dara’s phone right?” he asked as he showed me the screen of the phone, “I think her brother is calling her.” He said.

 

“It’s me.” I said as I dropped my call and reached for Daras’ phone.

 

“Oh…okay. So you guys are really close.” He mumbled to himself, “She calls you ‘Kuya’.”

 

“You know what that word means?” I looked to him curiously.

 

The other guy nodded, “I vacationed in the Philippines once. And younger people called me ‘Kuya’ all the time. It’s their counterpart for… ‘hyung’…or ‘oppa’.” He explained.

 

“Oppa huh…” Seunghyun mumbled.

 

“But not entirely like our ‘oppa’.” The guy added. “It’s just simply referring to older brother, something entirely platonic. They use real endearments for their boyfriend.”

 

His eyebrows furrowed.

 

Entirely platonic…

 

I pressed my palm against my chest as I felt a slight ache.

 

Palpitations?

 

I looked at my coffee. How many cups have I had since this morning? Five?

 

Joongki smiled.

 

“You got it bad bro.” he said.

 

“I know. Too much coffee.” I answered.

 

“That’s not what I meant.” He said knowingly.

 

 

Mian...mian...i'ts been sooo long....just so you know...i'm still on hiatus...but i'll try to update tomorrow..then after that...i'm back to my borrow again..UGh..this week is killing me!Yay!!! more subscribers...i can't believe it??!?!!