Surprise

Matchmaker

 

“Kimmy, are you free after this?” Luhan whispers to me, too loud to be considered a whisper because our classmates start shooting us dirty looks as they scribble madly. My hands fly across the notebook, my eyes completely drilled on the board in front of me. I grunt a little when Luhan distracts me and I shut my notebook dramatically to scare him, but it doesn’t do anything but make him blink innocently at me, a childish smile plastered on his pretty face.

“Yes, but I don’t want bubble tea, Lulu,” I finally cover my face, annoyed with myself. He pumps his fist in the air in a celebratory move and mouths “yay” very audibly, I might add. I groan inwardly and try to ignore the disproving stares from the professor. I kick Luhan’s legs under the table.

“Oompf. Kimmy, what was that for?” he whines and lays his head on the table, his hand rubbing his leg.

“Shhh, pay attention,” I mutter. He snorts because he knows that isn’t going to happen anytime soon. Maybe someday…as in never. The bell rings and Luhan is practically dragging me through the doors before anyone else. I am forced to shove my things in my bag while walking. Well, someone needs his daily dose of sugar right now…

“Lu, when are you ever going to get bored of bubble tea?”

“Soon.”

“Never. You lie, woman,” I snort and he glares at me with a pout, which does not make for an intimidating expression at all.

“I am not a woman, Kimmy. I am a man, can’t you accept that? Sheesh,” he walks quickly and I have to adjust my pace to catch up with him.

“Aw, is the deer prince angry?” I start poking his arm, giggling because Luhan is trying really hard not to smile. I can see his lips pressed together and he is puffing out his cheeks, pretending that nothing is happening but of course, it is just a cover up.

“I’ll buy you bubble tea. With pudding. And extra sugar,” I list down and wait for the desired effect to take place. Sure enough, Luhan bursts out laughing and throws his arms around me, soon starting to fake sob hysterically.

“Kimmy, you are the best. I am not even joking. Who sent such an angel to earth? I swear, you are too beautiful and perfect and nice and-”

“Yeah yeah, I get it, Lulu. You love bubble tea a lot,” I concluded and he stares at with an incredulous look.

“Whatever made you say that?! But yeah, I do love bubble tea. Bubble bubble bubble pop.” Luhan starts walking normally again, swinging his arms on his side as he hums the song Bubble Pop.

Angel…it brings back the memories…the pain…and the feelings. I hum along to Luhan, but as I do, I think about how much time has passed since he was gone. Three months. Three solid months. Without him.

I guess it helps that Luhan is jittery as always around me. Lately, he has been fascinated by the new bubble tea place that opened near the school. His ambitious goal? To drag me there everytime after our class. Even if it will be against my will, one of these days. But then again, its too difficult to say not to his face. And oh…oh, he knows it.

It was quick as usual. Soon, we are back on our way to school, Luhan sipping his honey green tea happily, probably inwardly drooling. I take this chance to press my fingers together over his straw so I block the flow of the liquid.

“Ah! Kimmy, no interrupting my happy time,” Luhan tries to run away from me, but he is too afraid of spilling his drink, so he walks in a funny way, stuck between the fast-moving legs and the slow body that is rigidly holding his cup. I laugh as I point at him.

“Oh please, Kimmy, you have done more embarrassing things,” he sniffs and continues to sip his drink. The sunlight refracts on the beads of condensed water forming around his cup and I almost regret not getting any drink. The heat is starting to intensify by now. I welcome the refreshing cool air condition blasting on our faces as we enter the building.

“Bye Lulu, I think I am going to my room to sleep like a pig,” I wave to him. The heat is really making me feel sluggish. It has no effect whatsoever on Luhan who waves excitedly at me.

“Bye Kimmy the pig!” he grins before laughing and tries to run away again…only to fail again. He realizes a few moments too late that he looks like a duck waddling and blushes before disappearing behind the corner, away from my sight. The image remains in my head until I reach my own room. Relieving it again makes me snicker and wonder how can anyone pull that off…unless its Lulu.

Not a minute after I closed my door, there is someone gently knocking on the door.

“Kris, I am too sleepy to be bothered,” I grumble as I trudge back and swing the door open. Only…it isn’t Kris. Heck no. Kris is not this short.

“It’s not Kris. Hi Kimmy,” Baekhyun smiles shyly and a little awkwardly. I freeze and my mouth opens and closes like a fish, my brain whirring and frizzing up. This…must all be a dream. Darn it, I fell asleep again in math class. Lulu is not going to let this go…

“Kimmy? Hello?” Baekhyun waves his hand in front of my eyes, blankly staring at his face. Quite rudely too. I snap back to what really happens to be reality.

“Baekhyun?” I splutter. Massive waves of emotion tumble over me, like an avalanche, set off by a simple trigger: the boy that is currently a foot away from me.

“Hi Kimmy. I’m back,” he grins and I scrunch my eyebrows together. I am still trying to wrap my head around this scene and…to control my heartbeat. Seeing Baekhyun in person, not just in my dreams again…I feel relieved. I am finally face to face with him again. I missed him, I really did. But at the same time, our last encounter replays in my mind. The bitter taste of goodbye…he was the first one to really give me a taste of it. The ache that soon grew into a hollow part of my life…empty and waiting, in vain. All the time he was gone, sometimes I wonder if it was my fault. But what did I really do? Doesn’t he deserve it all? He was the liar, not me. All at once, the feeling of blissful reunion washes off the shores of my mind. They skitter away from the dark side, the one that is taking over me, mercilessly shouting words and replaying the scene over and over again. Baekhyun with his cold eyes. Baekhyun faking a friendly smile. Baekhyun walking away from me.

“Hi Baek,” I say in a monotone voice. I feel my face turning stony and composed. Baekhyun blinks at me in surprise.

“Kimmy? Are you…okay?”

“What do you think?” I snap.

“Kimmy, we....I didn’t end things how I wanted to…between us. Can you give me another chance?” Baekhyun looks at me with sorry eyes.

“I’ll pass,” I say smoothly and I step back immediately to close to door on the unsuspecting Baekhyun. But he might have anticipated it, because when I slam the door, it hit something squishy instead to make it bounce back. And then Baekhyun is yelping like a hurt puppy.

“Ow ow ow,” he whines and flinches, pulling his hurt foot back and I gasp, opening to door as wide as I can as I survey the damage I did. Baekhyun is hopping on his other foot in a spot and wincing. Instinct takes over me. I rush forward and steady him.

“Oh my…Baek! Are you okay? Is it really bad? Do you want me to call the nurse? The doctor?” I start panicking and holding him tightly. Baekhyun peeks from one of his eyes and grimaces.

“Kimmy, its not bad. Calm down, I’ll survive. It’s just…in the moment kind of thing,” he chuckles, but his other hand that isn’t in mine, is holding his foot up gingerly.

“Are you sure? I am so sorry, Baek. This is all my fault. Tell me what to do now,” I blabber shamelessly to the boy I have just…tried and failed to slam the door at.

“I’m fine, Kimmy. It’s not your fault. I shouldn’t have been an idiot and stuck my foot in there,” Baekhyun shakes his head and laughs quietly to himself. Still the same old Baek…

“Can you walk?”

“Pretty sure, yeah.” Baekhyun slowly lets go of his foot and lowers it to the ground. He jolts when it lands but soon it is back in standing position, not a bone out of place.

“There, see, all good,” Baekhyun says proudly, beaming. I breathe a sigh of relief and unknowingly let go of him.

“Phew…that was cl- Woah!” I grab Baekhyun’s arms as he sways dangerously to the side, threatening to stumble like the World Trade Center. He appears to be in shock as well and his fingers clasp around my small arms tightly, a little shaky. He blinks a few times before breathing again.

“Baek? Are you okay?” I ask slowly. Did I hurt his feet that bad?

“Yeah…um, I think it’s my knee,” he mumbles.

“Ugh, forget this. You are coming in my room so I can see the…whatever it is I did,” I roll my eyes and start dragging him back to my room but he pulls away from my grasp.

“Baekhyun, what are you doing?” I hiss. He is making this harder than it should be.

“It’s not your fault. I already injured my knee when I was in Beijing,” he says with distant eyes.

“What?! But…you can walk…right?” I am flabbergasted at the news. I forgot how long we have been separated. It now dawned on me that … we have missed a huge part of each other’s lives. Baekhyun probably doesn’t know Kris has a girlfriend already now. He…also probably doesn’t know that I…

“Yeah, of course, Kimmy. How do you think I came here? Fly?” A familiar hint of amusement crawls through his face and nostalgia slams me in the face. We haven’t been away from each other for a year. Not even half a year, but it feels like it. A heavy feeling that has been hovering over me since I first saw him finally settles down. I miss him. I miss Baekhyun.

“Kimmy? Are you…crying?” Baekhyun’s eyes widen and I hear panic in his voice. He starts to raise his hand, no doubt to wipe my tear away as his thumb is so used to, but I beat him to it. I laugh lightly and brush it off. I look deep into his eyes, taking everything in, drinking all his emotions that I once loved so much…love, I mean. I forgot how I felt around him, and now I remember. The air clouded with intensity, yet nonchalance at the same time…the effortless laughs…those deep eyes where emotions swim in, only those he lets in…can see it.

“I missed you,” I say quietly. It sounds hollow, maybe because I felt like my body is empty. But I couldn’t stop myself from saying it. It had to be said…he has to know. Or does he?

Baekhyun sighs and takes a loose strand of my hair. He curls it around his long, slender fingers before he tucks it behind my ear. I feel my cheeks grow hot. This is another familiar feeling…when Baekhyun’s touch sends electricity sparks all throughout my skin.

“Kimmy, you have no idea how much I’ve missed you. I…told the principal I hated it there. I didn’t want to stay any longer. I wanted to come back here as fast as possible,” the words spill out of his mouth like a train on a smooth, neverending track, speeding down without a limit.

“Why?” This sounds quite ridiculous. The Baekhyun I know is an open-minded person. He would never be so stubborn and hate something so…deeply like this. I can see the misery in his eyes when he mentioned it just now.

“Because I had to see you again. Even if…things aren’t okay. I had to,” he murmurs, as if he is convincing himself.

“How are you and Luhan?” he suddenly looks up and asks, eyes burning with curiosity. I frown at him.

“Same as ever. You know that. Why did you ask?”

“Oh, I thought…well, its been a few months, Kimmy. Forgive me if I make speculations.”

“Speculations such as?”

“Maybe lovers.”

“What?” I spit. Baekhyun seems alarmed at my outburst.

“What do you mean lovers?” I steam.

“Well the last time I saw you…you were hinting that you practically chose Luhan…and-“

“Again…What?!” I raise my volume for the second time, racking my brain to understand what he is saying. I never said anything about Luhan that day. I would remember…because that was the day he…

“You kissed Mai,” I say with a dead face and Baekhyun freezes. He closes his eyes and takes a long breath. When he opens his eyes, I can see his frustration.

“That…that evil…I knew it,” Baekhyun looks down, breaking his eye contact with mine. Not that I blame him. He starts cursing a little, albeit a little mildly. In fact…I hear some mandarin swearing.

“Did they teach you those over there?”

Baekhyun’s head whips back up and  he looks at me strangely.

“Kimmy, this is absurd. I don’t know if you’ll believe me but…whatever you saw… Yeah, Mai kissed me. She did it, Kimmy. I swear by it. I would….never…in a million years…I hated it. I have never been so angry in my life. She told me about you and Luhan getting together and I was just keeping to myself as usual…I didn’t believe her of course, but then she just…just took my face and kissed me out of the blue.” Baekhyun’s eyes burn with unseen ferocity but they melt once he locks his eyes on mine again. Once more, I am thrown into a predicament. Are his words true? I think he read my mind.

“Kimmy, would I lie to you?” His lips pulls up to a confident smile. He knows it. He knows that I would break.

And he’s right.

I make a little noise and throw myself on him. I wrap my arms around his warm body that has grown sickly and thin since I last saw him…since I last felt them on mine. Baekhyun starts laughing and rests his cheek against my head. He laughs harder when I channel Lauren and mutter a series of unflattering profanities at Mai. That evil pig witch…stupid fartbomb face…That no-good…

“Baek? Why didn’t you tell me?” I pull away and search his face.

“I figured I was going to tell you…but you kept avoiding me…and I thought that maybe Mai wasn’t lying.”

“About?”

“About you and Lulu, of course.” I groan very audibly. Maybe he can now hear my exasperation. We are running in circles, aren’t we? Haven’t we been doing just that for a while now? Honestly, I am quite sick of it. Was this why he had that look of bitter acceptance when he left me? He resigned? He has given up? Of course, my treating him badly did not help.

“No, Baek. I just figured you would say something about Mai to me and then some explanations maybe. Because you know what?”

“What?”

I muster the courage to say it again.

“It hurts. I don’t ever want to see it again.”

Baekhyun doesn’t hesitate to take me in his arms and envelope me in a protective hug. I feel like he is trying to smother me with love. He lets out a gleeful laughter, so bubbly and airy.

“I’m sorry, Kimmy. I thought you wouldn’t believe me. I was going to wait and tell you after a while… I don’t know what I was thinking. That was a stupid move,” he admits. We are still in a semi-awkward positiong where I am against the wall and Baekhyun has his body on mine, yet he has one of his hands on the wall to hold himself steady. He props one of his leg up in (I am guessing) a more comfortable position.

“Yeah, that was stupid,” I agree and Baekhyun grins, rather embarrassedly.

“Kimmy, I don’t know if you noticed…but I still love you.”

“I don’t know if you noticed, but I still love you too,” I reply casually, which makes both of us burst to laughter. Baekhyun leans in slowly and I stop laughing. My eyes snap to his own pair and I see him looking down on something: my lips. His nose is barely grazing mine now when he stops.

“I’m glad I came back for you,” he breaths and his soft lips are barely on mine. I close my eyes wanting to keep this moment preserved in memory forever. I wouldn’t mind being frozen in time like this, I thought. Not with Baekhyun.

He closes the gap between us in a single swift move and I come alive at once. This is the moment I have been secretly picturing in my head, fantasies buried deep because they are forbidden ones. They should be. Sweet kisses like Baekhyun’s shouldn’t be allowed. They tip your world upside down. Like now. Baekhyun’s lips move against mine in a slow rhythmic dance. He doesn’t move fast or out of pace. He doesn’t rush. He builds it up, gentle, nice and slow. He pours out his tender love through his kiss. After a few seconds into it, he deepens the kiss ever so slightly. I feel vibrant and fiery, a sensation that is out of this world. The real thing…does not justice to my secret imaginations.

We pull back, both of us breathless but I come face to face with twinkling eyes and a satisfied grin. Baekhyun tries to catch his breath, a pink tinge on his cheeks. I look away, a little embarrassed and nervous at the look he is giving me. I find it so compelling that I’m scared I will be deep into it if I look. But Baekhyun places his hands gently on my jaw and position my face so I am staring into the beautiful face again.

“Kimmy, for goodness sake, will you be my girlfriend?” he croaks.

I blush furiously and my heart is threatening to do a double back-flip. I opt to nod instead of saying anything because I suspect that my voice is gone by now. Baekhyun’s face lights up like nothing else I have ever seen in this world. It is truly like watching an angel…like coming face to face with one.

“Finally,” he laughs shakily and I join in with a giggle. He hums a familiar tune and I think I heard him whisper ‘angel’.

“Finally,” I agreed and kiss him on the cheek.

“You can do better than that,” he muses before he leans in again, his lips touching mine before the fire ignites again. I smile deep into the kiss and Baekhyun releases his other hand from the wall so they can go around my waist. There, they make their home.

“My angel,” Baekhyun whispers to my ears and I shiver. He chuckles softly and kisses the tip of my nose before pulling back. I look admiringly at him as he looks adorably at me. I can tell for sure…we both have that lovey-dovey look.

I have finally found my match. I cannot be happier than anyone else right now…except for maybe Baekhyun. Well, this was harder than what I expected…but if it ends like this, I guess it’s all worth it. Now I know how it feels like to hear-

“I love you,” Baekhyun sings in a teasing tone, earning a glare from me.

“Are you trying to burn me?”

“What?” he scrunches his face as he tries to think.

“Too sweet,” I make a nasty face and he laughs.

“Too bad. You have to stick with me through it all.”

I groan and bury my face in his shoulders. I feel light-weighted. I don’t have to think about anything else, or anyone else right now. I don’t have to feel guilty clinging onto Baekhyun like this.

“Through it all,” I echo, faking a miserable note of regret.

“Yes, ma’am.” Baekhyun chuckles and ruffles my hair playfully. I find myself smiling even though he can’t see me. I wish I can tell him how happy I really am inside…that we are finally together. This feels…right, like the last piece is finally joined in to the picture. It’s all so crystal clear and amazing. It’s unbelievable.

“Since when did you have a blonde highlight here?” Baekhyun calls out in horror. I snicker and pull my hair away from his limp fingers.

“I’ll tell you later. Long story. Luhan is responsible. Can we go get bubble tea?” I don’t wait for his response and I start pulling him away from my room. He hops a little and I slow down to support him, but soon he is walking normally by himself. He slings his arm around my shoulder and I rest my head on his shoulder blade.

“Well tell Luhan he’s in trouble,” he grumbles jokingly.

“Tsk, possessive boyfriend.”

“Boyfriend… I like the sound of that,” he grins. I huff and refuse to entertain him.

Truthfully, I love the sound of it too. Byun Baekhyun…my new boyfriend. What else could go wrong? 

 


 

A/N: HOLA GUYS! So...eheheh...um, SORRY for not updating in AGES OTL I HAVE BEEN SO BUSY AND STILL AM BUT I CANNOT LEAVE IT LIKE THIS T_T so...this is officially the last chapter...SURPRISE LOL..i didn't want to tell you when i'm close to the end so you guys dont start guessing and stuff...then that's no fun pffftttt...BUT THERE WILL BE A POSTLOGUE. ohkai? i dont know when i can write it but yeah, there will be one. SO WOOOOOOOHHHH I FEEL LIKE I SHOULD GIVE A SPEECH TO Y'ALL :') nah jk. so its been A LOOOOOOOOOONG way and honestly I had a lot of fun writing this and reading your funny comments OTL BAHAHAHAHAHA YOU GUYS MAKE MY DAYS OHKAI <3 So...i'm sorry if you're not happy with the ending...I know, breaking Lulu's heart is one of the hardest thing i have had to do...T_T i feel really really bad about it. but on the other hand...Kimmy gets this ending! How did you guys like it? Honest opinions about the story or anything will be appreciated! <3 So...see you guys next time? Talk to me if you wants to!!!! THANK YOU ALL FOR READING AND JUST...JUST...*sobs* BEING AWESOME AND LOVELY AND ASGDHCVHJSDVCJHAGSVDCGHVKHVCHJGDVCJAHSGVCAJSHGVCA

 

SPAZZWORTHY...OTL...wow, i need to get it through my head that this is really the last chapter ._.

 

OH BTW, THE MYSTERY POV IS BAEKHYUN OHKAI. YES THATS HOW MUCH HE LOVES HER T_T CONGRATS TO YOU GUYS WHO GOT IT RIGHT LOL ITS TOO PREDICTABLE ISNT IT? 

 

OHKAI BYE <3