Matchmaker

Matchmaker

 

I like to match things. But nothing beats matching people together.

There’s something about it. The way I can see how happy I made them. You can call it… an obsession of mine. I don’t publicize what I do, but people just come to me. I don’t know what it is, but I feel like I’m born with this instinct to know when two people are meant to be together.

There’s that girl, Anna and Chen. Yep, the most popular girl and the quiet nerd. That was me. I was walking by the canteen and I saw her sneaking looks at him. I knew then. I can almost see the sparks in the air when their eyes met. Cliché? Yeah, I know. But my mom told me she could do the same too. Maybe it runs in the family.

My best friend, Lauren, and Kai. Yep, me again. This one’s easy. She had her eyes on Kai since he first came to Seoul High School. And I saw him look at her all googly eyes one day in Math class. And the rest was just an easy matter of talking to both sides and asking if they’ve considered each other as maybe…girlfriend/ boyfriend material? Now Kai’s my best friend too. I think they are the sweetest couple around.

Of course, these are just the two of the many. I’m not the most popular girl in school, but I can be really friendly if I want to. And that helps me talk to random people. Although that Allie girl was kind of a hard one. She ended up with Suho. Good pairing, I must say.

Me? I have none. It kind of makes me sad, sometimes. Whenever I’m in my dorm alone at night, I think about it. How can I, the cupid of the school, have no one for myself? Like right now. I’m laying down on my back in my bed, staring up at the ceiling. The moonlight seeps through the window, making my room not too dark. I have school in… hmm, 4 hours. But I’ll be fine. I’m insomniac and this is why I spend way too much time thinking at night. Ugh.

I toss and turn for about an hour before I finally slept. And as usual, I wake up right before my alarm rings. It’s 6:25. I yawn and turn the alarm off before it goes off blaring again. I don’t like loud noises. It takes an unbelievably huge amount of effort for me to get off my bed every morning. Today is no different. I pull the blanket off my body, exposing myself to the sharp cold air. I shower and get ready for school. By 6:50, I’m in my blue school uniform and skirt. I put on my socks and slip my feet into the nasty looking school shoes. I grab my bag from the chair next to my desk and walk out my room. The hall is still quiet as I can hear thumping in each room I walk past by. Everyone’s still getting ready. I like to be early so I guess this is what I’m used to seeing.

I get to my class in less than 10 minutes and I sit in the second row from the back. It’s my weird habit. Soon, students are flooding in and I see Kris coming in too, right after the teacher. His hair is just a disheveled mess of dirty blonde, and he yawns as he walks to the middle of the class to find the closest seat so he can collapse. I keep my eyes on him, and soon, he slowly looks up and finds mine. He marches away from the jealous girl, waiting for him to sit next to her. The table seats two people here and thankfully, Kris is in the class with me.

“Hey you,” he throws me a sloppy (but still handsome) smile and immediately rests his head on the table.

“Can’t you smile with more energy? That doesn’t look very sincere,” I say as I poke his side to get his engine up and running.

“Ughhh, stop it, you meanie,” he whines, swatting my hand away.

I laugh quietly, trying not to draw the teacher’s attention to us. I stop bothering him and start paying attention to the teacher when I hear him talk about “your new project”. Kris is still asleep and remain like so, until somewhere in the middle of the lecture.

He sits up and rubs his eyes. I just sit there and look at him, staring blankly into the board filled with random words and then slump his back.

I tear a page off my notebook and scribble ‘Wakey wakey! How was sleep, you pig!’

I slide the note to him and he isn’t surprised anymore. I remember the first time we exchanged notes and he was at a loss of what to do. I guess he didn’t have a life until he met me.

‘Shush you, I was up doing homework, okay. Don’t judge me. Lunch later?’

I am so jealous of his neat handwriting.

‘Yep. Bet you they have fried chicken today. I can smell it already. YUM!’

‘Now who’s the pig, you hypocrite. I don’t smell anything, I think it’s just you being delusional, as always.’

I snort and crumple the paper up. The class is going to end soon, and sure enough, the teacher announces our dismissal.

I pack up and Kris just takes the only thing he brought to class: his notebook.

“Can you be any slower?” he exhales loudly just to annoy me, but a smile is tugging on his lips.

Sometimes I wonder why we aren’t more than friends. Maybe I sound a tad too hopeful, or arrogant. Kris is one of the most good looking, drop-dead gorgeous guys in school… and he likes hanging out with me. Why? I have not the slightest idea. I see the looks girls give me when he walks next to me. He has this… ignorant attitude, where he doesn’t ever acknowledge most of the other girls in school. I guess I should feel extra special, but it gives me incentives to find the perfect girl for him.

He walks lazily next to me, towering over the other students with his intimidating height. “How was your weekend? I haven’t seen you all week,” he turns to me as we walk.

“Mmm, it was okay. I went to this new ice cream place near the school. They just opened up! I should take you there… their ice cream is just ….aaahhh,” I make a dreamy sighing noise to symbolize the godliness of the ice cream. He snickers and immediately goes poker face again when I give him a look.

“Oh yes, sure…erm, sounds …. Not exaggerated at all, coming from the girl who eats about as much ice cream as the whole entire world combined,” he says with a serious face.

“Pffftttt! You make it sound worse,” I cross my arms and frown but unfortunately, we arrive in the busy canteen.

“Ah! I knew it! I told you, its fried chicken day!” I burst out, way too loudly, it appears. Some heads turn to look at us and Kris smacks his hand on his face in embarrassment.

“Oops, sorry,” I say in a tiny voice.

“Let’s go, miss I-think-I-will-embarrass-myself-everyday,” Kris mutters and grabs my hand and drags me through the crowd and we stop right in the line for the best canteen food in the entire history of the school.

“I don’t like holding hands, I thought I told you that,” I grumble as I pull my hands away from his gentle fingers.

He is smiling mischievously… Oh he knows…

“Hypersensitive glands,” I remind him before turning around and ordering my food. We pay for our food and walk to the nearest empty table. Kris also got the chicken, but twice my portion.

“You eat so much,” I point to his plate.

“So? I’m a growing boy,” he starts eating the chicken.

I just roll my eyes at his response.

“You know that Mai girl?” Kris asks me all of a sudden.

“Yeah, why?” I eye him suspiciously.

“She asked me out,” he says, without sounding interested at all.

“What?! And you … turned her down?” it’s more of a statement than a question actually. He probably did. I can see his smug face already.

“Yeeeep! She’s too boring and popular,” he nods his head, happy with his own excuse.

“But but…every guy wants her!” I half shout to him, trying to get it through his thick skull.

“I’m not every guy,” he winks at me and shoves a piece of chicken to his mouth. I hate how he can still look desirable even while doing that.

“So…you want someone unpopular… and crazy?” I ask him. Its an innocent question, but inside I’m going through every encounter he has with a girl in my head, trying to remember if he has a thing for anyone.

“Mhmm! Someone like you,” he gives me a seductive look.

My face burns and I can feel my cheeks getting red. I look down at my chicken and poke at it furiously with my fork, trying to take the heat out of my face that way. Apparently, it didn’t work.

“Gosh, is it me or is it getting hot in here?” Kris leans back and fans himself, still with that smug look. He is such a tease.

“I was kidding! Stop blushing before you burn someone,” Kris bursts out laughing.

“Ah! You .. you…you…Ugh!” I get annoyed at how I can’t come up with a word for him.

“You still love me though,” he winks at me and stacks his tray on mine and walk away to put it where it should go.

I bury my face in my arms. Why is the world so cruel?