Sick (Part 2)

Matchmaker

 

When I open my eyes, I am back on my pillow. It feels weird…a little empty. Something is missing.

Oh right…Baekhyun. He must have left.

“Kimmy?” Kris’ voice rings in my ears and I massage my temple. This is not funny. Don’t start hallucination. I scold myself.

“Kimmy, I need to talk to you…and Baekhyun left you a note.” I sit up immediately and I see none other than Kris sitting across my bed, in my study chair. I just gape and then when I finally finish taking in the situation in my head, I smack my face.

“Kimmy, your face doesn’t need more damage,” he says in a mock serious tone.

“Kris. What are you doing here?” I exhale loudly, a little annoyed. He could have knocked.

“Baekhyun let me in. He knows I need to sort things out with you and well…I was worried, so just hear me out. Oh, and Baekhyun told me to give this to you,” he hands me a piece of pink paper, which I knew was taken out of my spare notebook on my table. Its folded into a small piece. I flip it open, my fingers carelessly fumbling with it.

 

Sorry I left. Have sweet dreams, Kimmy. Don’t forget to eat and drink enough water. Recover soon. I’ll come back tomorrow.

 

Yours truly,

Your angel

 

My lips start twitching. Byun Baekhyun, you are really an angel.

“He’s really nice, huh?”

“Who?”

“Baekhyun. Who else,” Kris smirks, shaking his head.

“Oh… yeah, he is,” I agree. My fingers close on the small but meaningful piece of paper. I feel a lot better already. I told them all I needed was sleep, and look who’s right. I scoff to no one in particular.

“Kimmy, listen. I’m sorry,” Kris starts to talk, his voice drips with regret.

“What about?” I don’t know if I really am lost at why he is apologizing or I am still dazed.

“I don’t know what I was thinking…I just…thought it was better off for you if I start dating her,” he makes a face of disgust.

“Wait…so you faked it with Mai?” I ask, slowly pronouncing each word. He doesn’t look straight to me, gazing around my room while twiddling his thumb together.

“Yeah…”

I don’t know how to respond anymore. I can literally feel a gigantic weight lifted off my chest. I am relieved that he is really not with Mai. But then again…that silly…stupid…

“I agree. Sorry,” he mutters.

“What?” Uh oh, have I been speaking aloud?

“That was a silly and stupid move on my part. I lied to you, talked to her behind your back, and I guess I should have told you about it…but isn’t it better for you now? No more bullies?” his eyes are pleading to me, trying to convince both of us that what he did wasn’t all that bad. He really feels bad…

My expression softens ever so slightly.

“Yes, you should have told me. I know you mean well, but we both know this would just complicate things. What about the girl you like? Won’t she hear about this?”

He looks down before facing me again with a forced smile. “I give up on Abbey. I don’t think she’s interested in me.”

My anger evaporates into thin air. Is Kris…broken-hearted?

“Kris…you don’t know that,” I reassure him.

“No, its no big deal, Kimmy. I’ll be fine. I just wanted to say sorry if…well, I made quite a mess the other day, didn’t I?” he laughs dryly.

“You got punched by Luhan. That’s your loss. And then I don’t see anything else that’s such a big problem. I think your relationship with Abbey needs more worrying,” I say frankly. He looks at me in exasperation and raise his eyebrows.

“You are too nice to me, Kimmy. Really.”

“No, I am just doing what’s right. Are you seriously going to keep dating Mai?” I get straight to the most important question.

“I guess so. I have nothing to lose. I’ll just keep it up until we graduate,” he says with a grin on his face. Oh that naïve boy…

“Kris, are you asking for a slap from me or what? You are giving me another headache. I swear you are the most difficult dolt I ever have to deal with.” I plop my face on my blanket right in front of me.

“What’s wrong with that? It’s a perfectly foolproof plan,” he says. I can already see his grin in my mind even though all I can really see is darkness…my eyes are still obscured by my blanket that is protecting Kris from my burning glare. If looks can kill…I finally resurface and take a few breaths to calm myself down. I set a mental reminder so that I do not fling myself at Kris and choke him. This fever is making me really violent somehow…

“Kris…okay, first of all, no. I disapprove of you keeping this up with Mai. She will be deluded into thinking that you have it in for her. No. It’s not only for your own good, but for hers too. You are giving her hope…and you are suffering too. Second, this Abbey girl…she is probably just too shy, okay? You can’t just give up if she doesn’t fall for you and worship the ground you walk on like every other girl in this school if you don’t make an effort for her. What exactly have you done to get her attention so far? Wink at her?” I wave my hands wildly to unleash my frustration. A look of realization dawns on his face. He nods a little to himself and then frowns.

“No, I didn’t. I can’t bring myself to be…well, myself around her. She makes me feel funny.” I laugh a little.

“What’s so funny?”

“You. And your little crush…maybe not so little,” I cough, covering up the last part I said very smoothly.

“Very funny, Kimmy. Well she doesn’t seem to be amused by anything I do. I even walked her home the other day and well…it was just awkward.”

“Kris, if she can be awkward, that means she probably feels something for you too. And you told me she’s a quiet girl. Don’t expect her to be very chatty with you. Not everyone can be a frivolous as Mai.” He nods, drinking in every word I say. When I finished with my female lecture, he looks a little happier.

“So…I should talk to her again?” he asks uncertainly.

“…Is it not obvious enough? Yes!” I almost yell. Now I feel exhausted again.

“Oh, okay. You’re right. You might as well be a love doctor or consultant now. Add that to your matchmaking talent in your resume,” he says, shaking his head and laughing a little.

“Oh gosh, don’t mention that. I am retiring. For good. All that matchmaking thing is stupid,” I mutter, with a tone of regret.

“It isn’t stupid. You really made good couples…and I bet those people could have used a boyfriend or a girlfriend anyways. The world is filled with too much lonely people,” he sighs dramatically. I toss a small pillow at him and he catches it in surprise.

“What was that for?”

“Nothing. I just felt like you deserve it.”

“Right. Anyway, you didn’t tell me you have a thing going on with Baekhyun. I thought you had it for Luhan?” He changes the subject abruptly.

“What? I never said I have anything for Baekhyun…or Luhan for that matter.”

“It’s too obvious, Kimmy…well, not really. You managed to even confuse me with your mixed signals,” he says in disbelieve. Do I send mixed signals? I thought about it for a while. I don’t think so. I always give honest reactions…

“What mixed signals?”

Before he can answer, there is a knock on the door and Luhan’s voice pulls me out of my thoughts.

“Kimmy?”

“Hold on. I’ll get it,” Kris quickly gets up, eager to get away from my question.

“Kris?” Luhan asks, confused.

“Hey. See you in practice tomorrow morning,” he says quickly and darts out the door, leaving a confused Luhan standing in the doorway. He quickly composes himself and walk in, closing the door after himself.

“Kimmy, I got you soup. I wanted to get you fried chicken, but then I rememberd you’re sick…so I got you chicken in soup instead.” He grins and holds up a plastic container in a plastic bag. I beam happily at him.

“Thanks, Lulu. You’re the best.”

“I know. Everyone just loves me,” he flicks an invisible hair and I laugh at his attempt to be feminine.

“Yes deer prince, everyone shall kneel on the ground for you,” I start bowing to him and he does a plié.

“No, Lulu, this is ridiculous. I thought you hate it when people call you deer prince?”

“I do.”

“Then? I just called you a deer prince.” I emphasize on the two magic words.

“It’s you. I’m too nice to you, so I’ll excuse you. You can be…the reindeer prince or something. Together we can rule the forest,” he says, making a grand gesture as he takes out the plastic container and takes a spoon out of the bag. He walks to the bed and sits beside me, handing me the delicious smelling soup.

“Thanks. And as tempting as the offer is, no. I refuse to be called the reindeer princess, Lulu. Sorry, but that is crossing the imaginary line. Can you picture me with antlers?” I take the bowl from him and start drinking the soup. It tastes as good as it smells. And the warmth is really comforting to my stomach and throat.

“Like the soup?”

I nod. “Want some? But you have to get another spoon, because I don’t want you getting whatever virus is in me.” I hold out the container for him, but he ignores my instructions. He niftily nicks my spoon from my fingers ignoring my protests and takes a spoonful of the soup to his mouth before slipping the handle of the spoon back to the spaces between my fingers.

“Lulu, you are unbelievable,” I groan and he just flashes me a cheeky grin in response.

“I won’t be sick. I’m too strong and manly,” he puts up his arms as if to show his biceps but I am already cracking up.

“What’s so funny?” He asks in dismay.

“Oh Lulu, you? Manly?” I start laughing again but I stop once I realize I was going to spill the soup all over my bed. I steady my fingers, still trying hard not to burst.

“You don’t think I’m manly?” His face turns really sad and he slumps his shoulder.

“Aw, Lulu. No, its just you’re … um,” I can’t continue. I really shouldn’t say it. It’s going to make his head grow bigger.

“What?” he tries fishing the answer out of me.

“Cute.” Too late, I blurted it out. His face lights up so fast that it scares me. A hint of red makes its way to his usually pale cheeks and he bites his bottom lips shyly.

“Finish your soup, Kimmy,” he replies, still with a smile on his face.

“I’m too full,” I complain.

“Five more spoonfuls,” he bargains.

“No.”

“Four more.”

“One.”

“No, four.”

“One,” I say stubbornly. He narrows his eyes at me, trying to look stern.

“Three.”

“One.”

“Two.”

“One.”

“No, two. Or I will keep on bugging you.”

“Fine, two.” I quickly take two small spoonfuls and gulp it down.

“That’s not even one full spoonful!” He argues.

“You didn’t say how much,” I grin. He huffs and takes the bowl away from my hands.

“You’re just lucky this time, Kimmy,” he says.

“I’m always right.”

“Sure, you are. Silly Kimmy.” He shakes his head and his blonde hair falls to his eyes. I start playing with a hole I found on my pillowcase. Its silent and I can hear the clock ticking. 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.

“What was Kris doing here?” Luhan interrupts my count.

“Oh, he was just talking about some stuff.”

“Like?”

“Mai. He isn’t really dating her.”

A look of satisfaction covers his entire face. “I knew it. Oh…but I guess I have to apologize to him for …the thing.” His face falls. I can tell he wasn’t proud of what he did. That’s good boy Lulu for you.

“Why did he do it then?” He asks again, curiosity taking over him.

“He said he just wanted to do something good for me,” I answer shortly.

“Oh…I guess I understand. I mean, I would have done something if I could too…”

“I know you would,” I smile. I am thankful for my friends. They really make me feel like the most blessed person on earth.

“It’s getting late, Lulu. You should go to sleep,” I remind him, glancing at the clock above Luhan’s head.

“Yeah. I have practice early tomorrow morning with Kris. I guess I should. Are you going to be okay, Kimmy? Do you want me to wait for you to fall asleep? I have nothing to do anyway,” he stands up and lingers by my side, his hands playing with themselves in the pocket of his jeans.

“No, I’ll be fine. I’m loads better already, thanks to you guys. Thanks for calling Baekhyun just now…although that was unnecessary.”

“Yeah, I had to…if only I didn’t have to leave…” he starts muttering something under his breath.

“Go sleep, Lulu. You need rest,” I laugh.

“Okay, Princess Kimmy. Whatever you say, you’re still the reindeer princess,” he winks at me and throws me a hug. I involuntarily inhale his scent. Wow, even his scent screams “baby boy”.

“Goodnight, Kimmy. Sweet dreams,” he says as he pulls away. I get up from the bed and follow him to the door to lock it.

“Goodnight, Lulu. You too. Thanks for … everything. I appreciate it. Really,” I say it as sincerely as I can.

“Anything for reindeer princess Kimmy,” he snickers and dodges me as he runs out, leaving a trail of laughter where he was. 

 


 

A/N: OHKAI... EVERYONE WHO DO YOU SHIP KIMMY WITH? LOL I AM JUST CURIOUS BECASUE LUHAN IS JUST ADSHJFAKDSHFGAKJSFS ADORKABLE.... BUT BAEKKIE IS TOO...IRRESISTABLE. OTL WHAT HAVE I DONE TO MYSELF PFFFFTTTTT THIS IS STUPIDITY, OHKAI

ON A MORE SERIOUS NOTE..LOLJK, BUT THIS CHAPTER IS DEDICATED TO MY LOVELY SWEET-AS-CARAMEL FRIEND ABBEYY WHO MADE ME A POSTER OF MATCHMAKER... <3 UGH, I CANT TAKE HER SWEETNESS LIKE WHAT ON EXO PLANET. IM DYING. ISNT THE POSTER PWEETYYYYYYY????!!!!! AHVBAJVBFJKVHBADHBCAHCBDCJHASD ITS AS PWEETY AS LULU WITH HIS APPLE HAIR.. OTL TOO PWEETY ... *CHOKES* CANT..BREATHE. EHECKKK. 

 

anyways, so i hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!! my weekend has ended T_T so i might slack off with updates for a while... i smell exams coming soon. merciless teachers ... OTL 

 

BYE ♥