Different

Matchmaker

 

I play with my hair nervously in front of the mirror, tugging here and there to make sure the ponytail is dead center and not a single strand of hair out of place. I my lips, tasting the sweet cotton candy flavor of my lip gloss I decided to put on just minutes ago to add a little shine on my pale lips. I don’t know why I am being very self conscious. Maybe its because Baekhyun is taking me out…

Only two of us…

Since its spring break, we have a week worth of holiday. I intend to…I don’t know if I have anything to do, actually. My lack of plan turns out to be in my favor, because right after class yesterday, Baekhyun asked me if I wanted to go out with him and “just have fun”. I nod faster than I can blink. Now here I am just…

“Kimmy?” Baekhyun’s voice interrupts my thoughts and I reach out to grab my sling bag from the table and walk to the door, trying to keep up a calm and steady pace.

“Hi,” I say, a little too breathlessly for someone who just walked across her room.

“Hey, are you ready?” He grins. He has a black jacket on top of his white tee even though the weather is quite warm. I note his cheery expression, quite different from his typical dreamy self.

“Yeah, of course. What’s with the 1000 kilowatt smile?” I ask casually as we walk towards the exit of the building. He looks surprised.

“Umm.. I don’t know actually. Maybe its because I get to spe- uh, sleep in,” he forces a natural smile and fails. I give him a bemused look.

“Sure, and maybe because you get to walk around with the reindeer princess Kimmy,” I voice out loud jokingly. Oops.

“Reindeer princess?” it’s his turn to smirk. We step out of the school and sure enough, the air is just nice. The fluffy wisps of clouds are scattered across the sky, shielding most of the sun’s angry glare so we feel just a pad of warmth on our skin.

“Luhan’s fault,” I blurt out, biting my lips and looking away from him. This is embarrassing. Well, Luhan is going to get a pep talk from me for drilling reindeer princess in my head all week long.

“Well, if you say so, reindeer princess. By the way, you look very pretty today,” he says with an offhand smile. I notice how the only one corner of his lips move up when he smiles most of the time. The right side.

“Thank you, Baek. A princess has to look nice all the time,” I declare, with a finger up in the air to emphasize my point. He breaks out laughing, his eyes completely disappearing into a line when he does so.

“Oh Kimmy, you just told me the last time you were sick that you can’t look like a princess everyday,” he says in between laughs. My whole face freeze, trying to recall what I said. Oh dear gosh, he is right…

“Pfft, well whatever. I like to contradict myself on purpose. I was just testing you.”

“Testing to see if I remember all our conversations including the one we had a week ago?” he says, voice dripping with sarcasm and dry amusement.

“Maybe I am,” I say. I look down and try to match my steps to his but I guess he beat me to it.

“I have photographic memory, Kimmy,” he says with a serious face.

“What? And you never told me this?” I gape at him, amazed and shocked. I am pretty sure my face cannot look that flattering right now, but I couldn’t care less.

“It’s not something I announce,” he shrugs.

“Wait…so you remember… what happened on the first day of school last semester?”  I ask suspiciously.

“Yeah, sure. First you dropped your pen. Second, when you tried to take it, the your hand slipped on the table. Next…its just a disaster,” he shakes his head with poignancy. I gasp.

“So you really do have photo memory thing.” I am not excited by the fact that now I know he remembers every little thing. He can probably take all the things I said and replay it in his mind whenever he wants to and analyze me. And then come to the conclusion that I am a complete wreck of a girl or something along that line.

He snorts and puts his hands to his lips before looking away and snorting some more. Evidently, there is something he is not telling me…

“So I see you’re hiding something…”

“Me? Innocent me?” he turns to me and widens his eyes before blinking sadly.

“No, stop that. You can’t do that to me. No, ugh. Stop,” I protest and divert my attention to the buildings a few feet from us. All we need to do now is cross the road before we are in the Promenade Street.

“Why?”

“I can’t tell you why,” I reply quickly. He looks to the right and left at the empty street before stepping forward and I quickly follow him, hurrying a little bit so I wouldn’t lag behind his quick long steps.

“Tell me why,” he insists.

“Nope. Until you tell why you were holding in your laugh just now.”

“Okay. Promise?” He starts grinning again.

“Yeah, of course,” I wink. Oh gosh, why did I even do that to Baekhyun? I mentally slam my head onto a brick wall. Of course, I maintain a cool exterior. He holds out his pinky in front of me and I put mine around it.

“I don’t have photographic memory,” he bursts out, laughing as he does so, the air around him reverberating with his bubbly voice. I am gob smacked for a few seconds before I can’t stop myself and soon, my laugh joins his.

“I can’t believe you fell for that,” he says when we have both calmed down, but he is still snickering. His nose is scrunched up so that the bridge of his nose crinkles.

“You were convincing. Blame yourself. How did you remember what happened then? That was a long time ago,” I frown.

“Kimmy, one does not forget things like that. It was hilarious. And plus, I have a decent memory, if I may say so.” Light of mischief dances in his irises.

“Well, you should forget that one. I thought you would have done so by now,” I mutter.

“So why do you not like me to do this?” he asks and then puts on his begging-puppy expression again.

“Stop, and then I’ll tell you.” It’s a silly reason, but I guess I promised him. His face returns to normal.

“I don’t like it because I’m a er for it and I usually fall for it.” The words leave my mouth quickly, stumbling one after another. I don’t intend for him to hear them anyway but his response disappoints me.

“So if I do it again…you’ll do whatever I ask you to do?” his eyes stare into space blankly. I’d like to think he is not imagining unwanted scenarios in his mind.

“I would smack your arm, but yeah. Yeah, I would,” I nod exasperatedly.

He suddenly turns to me and puts on the forbidden face on again to earn a horrified expression on mine.

“Kimmy, will you please eat hotdog with me?” He lingers on the ‘please’.

“Oh Baek, I never thought you would stoop this low,” I say in disbelief.

“Is that a yes? I will take you to my favorite place,” he grins. Before I can disagree, he slips his fingers through the spaces between mine and starts leading me forward.

“Did I even agree?”

“I’m sure you would. And plus, it wouldn’t hurt to try this place anyway. They have the best hot dogs,” he flashes me another smile. If only he knows how I melt just by seeing his smile.

“I guess I have no choice,” I sigh audibly and dramatically. He only chuckles and slows down a little so we can walk at the same pace…side by side. The ends of my skirt flutters from the blowing wind and I smooth them down so they don’t fly up higher.

“Do you want my jacket? It’ll cover you up until where it needs to cover for now since you are so tiny,” he offers out of the blue. I shake my head in response.

“Okay, we’ll be there soon anyways, but let me know if you change your mind.”

“Kay.”

He’s right. We are soon in front of a small busy shop, bustling with busy employees rushing to tables. Chatters of the customers, mostly students from around here, fill the air. Baekhyun waves to one of the waiter and he waves back, grinning. Baekhyun then leads me to an empty table at the back of the small restaurant, his hands still in mine.

“Hey Baekhyun! Long time no see, how are you?” The waiter who waved at Baekhyun stands beside our table, taking a notepad out of the pocket at the back of his jeans.

“Hey Tao. Yeah, been busy with school lately, but I’m having a week’s break right now. Other than that, I’m good. How are you?”

“Ah, busy as usual. But happy all the same. We seem to have more and more customers everyday,” he groans. Baekhyun chuckles at his friends complaint.

“So who’s the new girl? You didn’t tell me you have a girlfriend already,” Tao winks at me playfully. He …looks quite handsome actually. Two earring studs on his right ear and three on the other one. Like all the other waiters and waitresses flying all around the room with orders, he is dressed in black top and jeans.

“I’m just his friend,” I answer.

“Oh, what a shame. She’s pretty, Baek,” he laughs and punches Baekhyun lightly on the arm. I feel a sense of Déjà vu…Baekhyun looks away, embarrassed by Tao. He gives shoots my apologetic looks.

“Can we get the usual?” Baekhyun tells Tao.

“Sure. Two Baekhyun hot dogs coming right up. Sit tight and wait, please,” Tao flips his notepad close and walks away.

“You have a hot dog names after you?”

“No, it’s just Tao playing around as usual. You saw how he is,” Baekhyun covers his face in his hands, abashed.

“Okay, Baek doggie,” I grin and Baekhyun looks at me, mortified.

“Reindeer princess,” he shoots back and smiles, satisfied, when I look disgusted.

“Here you go,” Tao drops by and slides a plate in front of us each. The aromatic smell stirs up my appetite already. Baekhyun gives me a reassuring nod and he starts eating so I do the same. The juicy meat is bursting with flavor and compliments the crispy buttered bun.

“Why is it the ‘Baekhyun hot dog’?” I ask him after a few bites. He wipes his mouth and the red spot of ketchup from his lips disappear without a trace.

“I told them to add some things into the original one.”

“Like?”

“Butter. And … grilled onion,” he adds.

“Hmm…it’s really good. I love it,” I grin and take another bite.

“Glad you like it. So if I happen to be hungry one unfortunate day, would you come back here with me?”

“Hmm, maybe…”

“Don’t deny what your heart wants, Kimmy.” He laughs a little and my cheeks burn for some reason.

“Yeah yeah, fine. Just not during class time,” I mutter, not knowing what else to say.

“Of course not. Wouldn’t want to skip class at all and all that informative lectures, would we?”

“Yeah, especially that lovely droning by the teachers,” I agree. When I look down on my plate, it is empty. So is his. He finished wiping his mouth just when I do too. He puts his hands up and Tao saw him from the corner of his eye and nods.

“Is Tao your friend?” I ask.

“Yeah, we’ve been friends since we were young. His parents know mine so we used to play together until he changed school,” Baekhyun explains. Tao approaches our table and takes out a piece of paper but before it touches the table, Baekhyun hands him a few bills, which Tao takes before walking away again.

“Baek,” I start complaining but he shakes his head vigorously.

“No, Kimmy, its my treat. I brought you here, so its common courtesy. Plus, I’m the boy here, aren’t I? I get to pay for our …date,” he says after giving it some thought. A date? When did I agree to a date? Once again I feel flustered and my cheeks burn. This really needs to be put under control…

“Date?” My voice cracks and I clear my throat.

“Yeah. A date is a social or romantic appointment, according to the dictionary, I believe. So, whichever one you prefer to think we are having, actually,” he says. He taps the table in second’s beats and looks into my eyes with a cheeky smile tugging at his lips.

“Which one do you think ours is?” I direct the question back to him. Tao returns with a few coins which Baekhyun leaves on the table and adding a few more from his pocket. We both get up and walk out of the crowded place. My lungs take in the fresh open air gratefully.

“I think we both have our own secret answers, so we might as well keep it to ourselves,” he muses.

“Wise answer,” I reply.

“Do you want to go look at the shops?” he asks and I say I do. We walk along the long lines of a variety of stores, selling jewelries, clothes, dolls, video games and the list goes on. Baekhyun seems to be interested in a lot of things, and if he isn’t, he fakes it well. He offers to walk into the girl clothing store despite my insistence that we shouldn’t since it’s boring inside. Truth be told, I just don’t feel comfortable shopping with boys, especially Baekhyun, since the last thing I want to happen is him falling asleep while waiting for my to try on the clothes. Plus, I don’t usually shop a lot anyways.

“It’s okay, I’ll help you find something really cool and you’ll forever be grateful to me,” Baekhyun persuades me. I finally give in and we spend about half an hour just walking around and talking about how I would look like with a ridiculously large feather boa around my neck and fully sequined long pants. Baekhyun seems to find it really comical because he couldn’t stop laughin when I tried on the feather boa. Afraid of the shopkeeper hunting us down, I drag him away from the store and back onto the streets.

We finally went into the jewelry store at the end of the paved walk before we can cross back to the school vicinity. Baekhyun strolls in beside me, hands in his pocket and humming as he admires the shiny accessories, making funny comments now and then. I realize he is very carefree and … more like a boy than a man today. Whenever we interact in school, it usually feels restrained. Am I over-thinking and seeing things? Maybe I am, but all I know is I am very much happy with the Baekhyun I get to spend hours with today. I feel like we have been close friends forever, almost the same way I feel with Luhan…

What is different though? Something feels out of place…

“That one is hiding,” Baekhyun points to a small star pendant, silver with a smaller star-shaped crystal shining in the center.

“Yeah, it’s so small. But very beautiful.” I my head to the side and admire it. It really is tiny and its overshadowed by the bigger pendant necklaces with bigger and shinier diamonds.

“Thank my eyesight,” he says proudly and I snort.

“Kimmy, that isn’t very princess-like,” he chastises exaggeratedly and I burst out laughing.

“Baek, you’re one to talk. Do you happen to be a princess?”

“Why yes, I am. I live in the Kingdom of Kimchi, right across Tofuland,” he replies in a girly voice and I lose it right there. We both break out laughing an I gasp for air, breathless once again.

“Is this some sort of hidden talent?”

“Yes, why, I practice in front of the mirror everyday with a dress on too,” he nods convincingly.

“I’m sorry, I can’t picture you with a dress on, Baek.”

“Sure you can. I look absolutely gorgeous, I must say,” he taps his chin and looks into the space, as if imagining himself in a dress. I start chortling.

“Excuse me, Kimmy, I need to go to the restroom. Meet you outside?” he ask and I open my mouth to answer, but too late, he walks away, weaving in and out of the crowd of women huddled around the display of bracelets. Not wanting to be lost, I make my way to the exit door and stand outside. It’s getting quite late already. I know this because the wind is becoming stronger and the biggest clue is the orange sun setting in the horizon, melting into it. Deep red colour stain the sky, fading into purple and then to blue as I glance up. The stars are beginning to be visible if only a little bit…

“Sorry to keep you waiting. Ready to go?” Baekhyun appears right beside me and I gasp a little, surprised by his voice. He gives me a strange expression, almost laughing.

“Yeah, let’s go,” I distract him from whatever comment he was going to make about my reaction. He nods and we cross the road. I am almost happy to be going back to my room. My legs are aching from all the walking today, but a feeling of content is buzzing inside me so I feel elated and high all at once. I didn’t end up with new clothes but laughing and walking with Baekhyun makes up for everything. In fact, he’s the highlight of the day…just him… I think I see a different side of him everytime we meet…

Maybe time is fooling around with us, but I never thought we can be back to school this quick. Did Baekhyun somehow made us walk faster? Or was I just lost in our conversation? Moot conversations, really, but it was one nonetheless. And Baekhyun is comfortable with silence…so when we pause in between our replies, he doesn’t try to fill it in. I am fine with it, because I, too, welcome silence. It suits us somehow.

“Did you have fun, Kimmy?” he asks, as we are nearing my room. The soft clacking of our shoes against the tiles echoes in the empty hall. I can feel my face light up and I beam at him. I hope he knows that I mean it from the inside. I really did have fun with him.

“Did you?” I ask him. In return, he does the same, but his smile more serene than mine. It warms me.

“How can I not?” he laughs. When we are a few steps away from my room, he starts fumbling with something in his pocket.

“Thank, Baek, for the really fun ‘date’. I loved it,” I grin, teasing him with our ‘date’ reference. He grins back but seem to be busy with something in his hand.

“We can go on another ‘date’ again next time. But wait, Kimmy, I have something for you,” he says. I turn away from my door and look at him. He is holding out…the pretty necklace…the star…

“Baek…I…” I am speechless, heat taking over my body and my heart furiously beating against my chest. I see nothing but Baekhyun’s smiling face in my head and in front of me. I feel…so touched.

“Kimmy, it suits you. So I thought I’d get it for you, since you like it too,” he grins.

“Here, turn and let me help you put it on.”

I wordlessly turn in my spot and Baekhyun brushes a few strands of my hair aside. He loops his arms in front of me and passes the other end of the chain to his other hand. I pause and wait with bated breath, as he tries to hook the clasp. His fingers brush the nape of my neck, sending tingles down my spine. I stop myself from shivering from his touch. It feels…intimate, like he is in my personal space, not that I am complaining.

“Sorry, the clasp is so small,” he mutters.

“It’s okay, sorry,” I reply.

He leans in, probably so he can see better and I can feel his breath on my skin. Goosebumps appear on my skin. I swear I can almost feel his lips on my neck…

“There…done,” he pulls back and I can feel the shadow of his face disappearing from my back. I turn to him, trying to not stutter and fall because my knees are weak.

“Baek, thanks…I…I really appreciate it. You know you didn’t have to. It’s not like…”I start mumbling, feeling shy about all this.

“Don’t worry about it, Kimmy. I choose to get it for you. It’s nothing. I just hope you like it,” he smiles, showing all of his perfect rows of teeth.

“I love it. Thank you,” I say for the umpteenth time, feeling it from the deepest part of my heart.

“Bye, Kimmy. See you around?” he raises one of his eyebrows.

“Yeah. See you soon,” I grin. I turn to walk into my room and when I turn back, Baekhyun is walking away, quite a distance already. I think he really did do something to make us walk faster just now…

I sigh and sit on my bed, my fingers feeling the cold and minute star on my neck. It doesn’t feel bare anymore. I feel…pretty. Weird… a necklace can actually make me feel this way.

I look at myself in the mirror. The silver reflects the light and glints, shining against my pale skin. I really do love it. I smile in the mirror but pause soon.

So what did Baekhyun think our ‘date’ was? A romantic appointment or was it a social one for him?

Of course, he could always be thinking it’s somewhere in the middle…just like how I think it is… 

Yeah, he must think of it that way too...

 


 

A/N: IT IS....7:53 AM I STAYED UP TO WRITE THIS BECAUSE I LOVE BAEKHYUN YOU GUYS SO MUCH. but ohkai, if i am not dead numb and sleepy now, i would be spazzing like crazy...oh wait, i already did... anyways, finally! some Baekhyun moment!!!!  ugh, i have been waiting FOREVER to write this chapter, ohkai! and so yeah..its a LONG one.. so i hope you guys like it!!! i got goosebumps writing "THAT" part..guess which OTL 

P.S. WHO MISSED HIS HAIR.... OMGAHVBADFBVKAJHVBSHJCBDJCAHDSBCS

I LOVE HIS HAIR NAO BUT I STILL MISS HIS OLD HAIR... LIKE SRSLY, I MISS EVERYONE'S OLD HAIR. UGH. I LOVE THEM NAO TOO THOUGH. 

 

BYE ♥